Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Theres an astroid passing near Earth on November 2nd. There a 0.42% it hits Earth. I am literally more likely to die from an astroid than covid in the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It`s better that Stephen keeps wearing his mask and stays indoors
    You're a sad little man Stephen. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the protest, you're a very sad little man.

Found the protesters :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I would appreciate being told where I am wrong or alternatively if I am correct in my interpretation.

Thanks.

1. Icu numbers and hospital are available on that website you linked. The tab at the top of the screen for icu hospital and testing contains that information.
    2. We have a horrible system for deaths in this country. First of all it takes time to die of the disease. Then the families theoretically have 3 months to report. I have written to politicians (with no reply) about this issue. The deaths that have been reported recently died in October but not all October deaths have been reported. Its best to think of todays deaths as deaths related to cases a month ago. So we are getting multiple deaths a day related to cases when cases were about 250 a day. In a months time we will probably be reporting around 10-20 deaths a day related to the 1000 cases a day we are experiencing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not to personal but I remember that you lived abroad or maybe are not originally Irish, it just seems to me like you have expectations of others, I don't think it would be fair not to give them the choice to see other parts of the world when young

Interesting and off topic reply ! I am way past retirement and did teach and work in the UK after my training there. I used my training to support my country.

My contemporaries who were trained at the same time taught in the UK fir several years if they were planning to work abroad and see the world

My post was in response to the dire need we have now of medical staff. Even if they were asked to stay and work here for three years it would help hugely and they would still be young :eek:

And my post was in response to someone demanding HSE recruit huge numbers of nurses and doctors.

Have you any other ideas to help this shortfall given the length of training needed?

Off now for the weekend. Stay safe and well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

1. Icu numbers and hospital are available on that website you linked. The tab at the top of the screen for icu hospital and testing contains that information.
    2. We have a horrible system for deaths in this country. First of all it takes time to die of the disease. Then the families theoretically have 3 months to report. I have written to politicians (with no reply) about this issue. The deaths that have been reported recently died in October but not all October deaths have been reported. Its best to think of todays deaths as deaths related to cases a month ago. So we are getting multiple deaths a day related to cases when cases were about 250 a day. In a months time we will probably be reporting around 10-20 deaths a day related to the 1000 cases a day we are experiencing at the moment.

10 -20 deaths “with” Covid or “of” Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Some set of lungs on those protestors, had to mute it to save my ears! What is going on here? Looks a bit intense, gardai definitely using excessive force in earlier part of the video. Was this today?

Buch if scumbags getting what should have come a long time ago

The man we see see nearly getting battoned(about 2 mins in) is trying to knee a guard, clearly. Deserves every belt he gets, attempt to assault a guard, fine.

These anti mask, any vax, Ivory Coast supporters who think Aaron Brady is innocent, ya taking off the street Isnt much loss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I understand there is a difference in the deaths reported by the CMO and the deaths register. They are broadly real time (in recent days in respect to hospital deaths with delays for care home deaths). Although your point is well made that the nature of the disease means it can be several weeks and in rare cases months between infection and death

Registration of deaths is a different thing altogether but the CMO is not reporting on these. Otherwise we would have been having many deaths in June, July and August.

I understand there is a difference in the deaths reported by the CMO and the deaths register. They are broadly real time (in recent days in respect to hospital deaths with delays for care home deaths). Although your point is well made that the nature of the disease means it can be several weeks and in rare cases months between infection and death

Registration of deaths is a different thing altogether but the CMO is not reporting on these. Otherwise we would have been having many deaths in June, July and August.

In the early stage of the pandemic they were reporting based on the registration. If they have a new system I'm delighted.

My mother's aunt told me recently that her late husband wasn't included in the deaths yet as she hadn't filed the death cert. I'm glad if she is wrong.

I know in early october a lot of the deaths were mentioned as being from september when reporting so I would say there is still some lag.

Either way i would suspect my estimate of a month average from infection to report is not too far off although 2 or 3 weeks is also possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Buch if scumbags getting what should have come a long time ago

The man we see see nearly getting battoned(about 2 mins in) is trying to knee a guard, clearly. Deserves every heck he gets, attempt to assault a guard, fine.

These anti mask, any vax, Ivory Coast supporters who think Aaron Brady is innocent, ya taking off the street Isnt much loss

I haven't wanted a group to get a battering off the Gards as much since Landsdowne in 95

• Advertisement

In the early stage of the pandemic they were reporting based on the registration. If they have a new system I'm delighted.

My mother's aunt told me recently that her late husband wasn't included in the deaths yet as she hadn't filed the death cert. I'm glad if she is wrong.

I know in early october a lot of the deaths were mentioned as being from september when reporting so I would say there is still some lag.

Either way i would suspect my estimate of a month average from infection to report is not too far off although 2 or 3 weeks is also possible.

Notification and registration are the differences. This article describes the broad process.

https://www.thejournal.ie/how-are-covid-19-probable-deaths-counted-5102540-Jul2020/

On the level of deaths, I have read reports that treatments have become more effective since March/April, and that there are more developments in the offing. Obviously no one should put themselves or others at undue risk of getting infected but it is not “Contagion”.

US2 wrote: »
    Theres an astroid passing near Earth on November 2nd. There a 0.42% it hits Earth. I am literally more likely to die from an astroid than covid in the next week.

There a 0.42% chance it hits us, but its a small asteroid so would disintegrate before it gets near the ground, and even if it does hit the ground, the likelyhood it hits anywhere near where you live is tiny, so you are orders of magnitude more likely to die from covid next week than from an asteroid

HBC08 wrote: »
    I haven't wanted a group to get a bettering off the Gards as much since Landsdowne in 95

That was great. I heard that the British police were in awe and jealous.

Although the Guards did get into trouble for the later 2002 incident On Dame Street. https://www.rte.ie/archives/category/society/2017/0425/870082-reclaim-the-streets-protest/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

bfa1509 wrote: »
    RTE must have read your post. For the first time in the 9 months of coronavirus they had a man with a dissenting opinion that didn't fall in line with RTE and, more specifically, George Lee's apocalyptic agenda they have been peddling relentlessly. (a side note on this, George Lee is a complete and utter poison. I hope one day the history books will expose him for the vile, unscientific fear-monger he has been throughout his career, especially in the last 5 years on the "climate crisis" and Covid19)

I reluctantly give RTE some credit here for finally having a somewhat diverse, constructive and frank debate about the topic this evening. Hopefully it continues. For anyone who didn't see, here's a very interesting snippet from Professor John Lee, a retired consultant pathologist from Sheffield and the NHS who explains the futility of a lockdown:

Amazing to hear a dissenting view.
    The good doctor says that the government shouldn't imprison the whole population just because our healthcare system isn't up to the job. We should increase our capacity instead.

I agree with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,617 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Kivaro wrote: »

He is dissenting from facts and science.

Why would you find that amazing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭BrianD3

How are England and Wales doing these days in terms of all cause mortality. The Office for National Statistics reports deaths in a timely manner. Looking at all cause mortality in 2020 vs previous years would give a reasonable indication of how many are dying FROM Covid in all settings.

That's England/Wales but it will be similar here.

In other words, the best way of estimating how big a problem we have in terms of Covid deaths in this country is by:
    • looking at a different country's statistics.
    • counting the number of deaths published on a private sector website (rip.ie) which was never intended to be used for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

That is the question they will never answer.

Sally Maaz, 17 was put in a Covid ward despite having 3 negative Covid tests. She caught Covid on the ward and subsequently died. She was born with a life limiting illness.

She is down as a Covid death. If she died of Covid whoever insisted on putting her in the Covid ward is responsible for her death.

If it was not due to Covid why is her death still listed as Covid.

Very hard on her family either way but the figures have to be transparent.

Hardly believe a word out of the CCP's mouth as much as Id like to.
    Ok Donald. :rolleyes:
    Very odd response.
    Just because someone doesn't believe what the CCP is telling us, then he must be Donald Trump.
    Well, I must be Donald Trump too, because I certainly do not believe what the Chinese Communist Party is disclosing about Covid in China, and especially its origins.

wellwhynot wrote: »
    That is the question they will never answer.

Sally Maaz, 17 was put in a Covid ward despite having 3 negative Covid tests. She caught Covid on the ward and subsequently died. She was born with a life limiting illness.

She is down as a Covid death. If she died of Covid whoever insisted on putting her in the Covid ward is responsible for her death.

If it was not due to Covid why is her death still listed as Covid.

Very hard on her family either way but the figures have to be transparent.

A covid ward is not a ward with covid patients. It's a ward where a patient can be isolated away from other patients.

Being put on a covid ward wouldn't increase her chance of contracting the virus unless medical staff made mistake.

If she had symptoms it was right to isolate her as the test is not 100%.

Thr father of a friend of mine was on a covid ward for 3 weeks with negative tests. He had respiratory symptoms and they wanted to isolate him. The covid ward is where they have isolation facilities and all staff wear ppe.

At the end of this whole thing they will estimate covid deaths by reference to excess deaths.

• Advertisement

Out of curiously, why isn't there a correlation between the re-opening of schools and universities in Ireland with the recent sharp increase in Covid cases ..... like they are admitting in Poland, the US, etc.? Or are the authorities here in denial?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Out of curiously, why isn't there a correlation between the re-opening of schools and universities in Ireland with the recent sharp increase in Covid cases ..... like they are admitting in Poland, the US, etc.? Or are the authorities here in denial?

you said it yourself total denial from an inept government

Some people say denial. Some say that the sharp increase in cases started mid august and didn't increase as a % mid september when the schools returns would have been seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

fritzelly wrote: »
    All for control on gardai powers but sometimes you think hmmm lets just do a Purge hour

“What law did we break?” - that incessant prick needs a slap

As as for that gob****e with the green hair dyed off her head, and her mouth, sweet Christ.

Watching that, we have zero chance of any level of significant suppression I fear

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

A covid ward is not a ward with covid patients. It's a ward where a patient can be isolated away from other patients.

Being put on a covid ward wouldn't increase her chance of contracting the virus unless medical staff made mistake.

If she had symptoms it was right to isolate her as the test is not 100%.

Thr father of a friend of mine was on a covid ward for 3 weeks with negative tests. He had respiratory symptoms and they wanted to isolate him. The covid ward is where they have isolation facilities and all staff wear ppe.

At the end of this whole thing they will estimate covid deaths by reference to excess deaths.

Well her family believe differently. The inquest which they requested will take place in December. Many people have caught Covid in hospital.

Mayo coroner Pat O’Connor has said he is not ruling out holding inquests into the controversial deaths from Covid-19 of two patients at Mayo University Hospital.

The families of Ballyhaunis teenager Sally Maaz and Bellacorick pensioner Jackie Carolan have both raised concerns about how they contracted Covid-19 while patients at the hospital.

It’s understood that gardaí have received a complaint about the death of 17-year-old Ballyhaunis student Sally Maaz who contracted the virus at Mayo University Hospital.

Meanwhile, the family of 79-year-old Jackie Carolan has called for an investigation into why patients suspected of having been infected were cared for on the same ward as non-Covid patients. Mr Carolan, who had been treated for a stroke, died on April 1 after he was moved into a bay where there were suspected Covid cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,617 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Decent video there of the Gardai getting a few slaps in

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=649137669126024&id=100020893912279

Jesus the absolute state of that gobby yoke with blue hair shouting "Nazi".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

They’re basing it on lots of testing happening in schools and the positivity rate in schools has been much lower in schools than in the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The good doctor says that the government shouldn't imprison the whole population just because our healthcare system isn't up to the job. We should increase our capacity instead.

I agree with him.

I was going to reply but the instant gratification monkey took the wheel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Some people say denial. Some say that the sharp increase in cases started mid august and didn't increase as a % mid september when the schools returns would have been seen.

that was when all the holiday crowd returned some might say also some might say that it rocketed when schools returned which is not what some might say but facts you are in denial aswell some might say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Short answer is that our data is not reflecting any connection between the two.

Longer answer is that the protocols in schools differ from country-to-country, making it impossible to say whether it is or isn't caused by schools.

While schools are frequently painted as a boogeyman in this, and people love to point at countries where there's an apparent link between schools and wave 2, there are lots of countries that reopened schools months ago and saw no second surge, until August/September. Denmark reopened in late April/early May. No surge until September.

Kenya reopened their schools ten days ago. Their wave 2 surge of the virus, started 5 weeks ago.

So all other things being equal, the pattern would suggest that a second wave was inevitable with or without open schools, and that schools at most may have a contributory effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Time to give the Gardaí tasers and let them at that shower of feicers on Grafton street
    Then scoop them up with a bulldozer and dump in the duck pond in the Green

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Those protesters don't have a clue what excessive force is. They'd get a shock if they're caught up in a proper riot. Going by previous posts was expecting a group of thugs, they're just pampered idiots.

Donegal's good run halted. Will look to add Cavan to the next update

530262.JPG

530264.JPG

Wisconsin have opened a field hospital in order to cope with the large surge in Covid19 cases.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/15/wisconsin-opens-field-hospital-amid-massive-coronavirus-surge/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

There a 0.42% chance it hits us, but its a small asteroid so would disintegrate before it gets near the ground, and even if it does hit the ground, the likelyhood it hits anywhere near where you live is tiny, so you are orders of magnitude more likely to die from covid next week than from an asteroid

Yes but lets hide in underground bunkers when its due to hit just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭893bet

Some set of lungs on those protestors, had to mute it to save my ears! What is going on here? Looks a bit intense, gardai definitely using excessive force in earlier part of the video. Was this today?

What a shower of *****

(Not talking about the Gardaí).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Donegal's good run halted. Will look to add Cavan to the next update

530262.JPG

530264.JPG
    Bit of a curve for Cork finally :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

gardai definitely using excessive force in earlier part of the video. Was this today?

You're an expert on policing crowds of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

growleaves wrote: »

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Donegal's good run halted.

damn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Time to give the Gardaí tasers and let them at that shower of feicers on Grafton street
    Then scoop them up with a bulldozer and dump in the duck pond in the Green

Do you feel big behind your keyboard calling for violence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Half the schools in the north have had positive cases since the return to school - it would be interesting to see the numbers for the south to see if they're comparable:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-54656456

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Do you feel big behind your keyboard calling for violence?

I feel very angry Yes , at eejits who are making life difficult for me and mine .I havent seen my daughter in UK for 8 months or my new grandchild who is abroad .So Yes , if I could I would slap the feicers myself actually

And by all means equate the infinitesimal risk associated with an asteroid, with the very real risk associated with a pathogen that is dangerous to large portions of the population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

And by all means equate the infinitesimal risk associated with an asteroid, with the very real risk associated with a pathogen that is dangerous to large portions of the population

Lol where did I do that? No mention of a pathogen in my post

I only recommended taking the safety-ist approach to hurtling asteroids. Yes the risk is infinitesimal but that doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise caution.

Ek8r25kXEAAYwBn?format=png&name=900x900

Good graph showing Europes increasing cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

'So there's a comet. Big deal. It'll burn up in our atmosphere and whatever's left will be no bigger than a chihuahua's head.'
    Homer J Simpson

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Speaking of hospitals on another thread

310 yesterday
    31 admissions
    24 discharges
    311 today

Presuming 6 deaths but it might not be.

Lol where did I do that? No mention of a pathogen in my post

I only recommended taking the safety-ist approach to hurtling asteroids. Yes the risk is infinitesimal but that doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise caution.

You should still wear a mask, there could be alien virus or bacteria on that asteroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Speaking of hospitals on another thread

310 yesterday
    31 admissions
    24 discharges
    311 today

Presuming 6 deaths but it might not be.

Looks really like L3 has stabilised hospitalisations but maybe it's too early to tell?
    Wonder if we may see an earlier exit from L5 if that's the case, Israel ended it's second lockdown earlier than expected as cases dropped faster than was predicted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus the absolute state of that gobby yoke with blue hair shouting "Nazi".
    People who team blue hair with chronic unemployability are often very good at spotting Nazis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement