Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,613 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

E36Ross wrote: »

3 days of tests.

40,000 odd.

We will be the fúcking first country who will have to bring in a harsher lockdown than back in March.

Thanks to hmmm on the vaccine thread for the initial link to this.

Germany getting its house in order for vaccination centres to begin rollout by year end. Looks like Pfizer well on its way to EU approval so.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-germany-vaccine-idUKKBN277342

My wife commented as she queued for the test at Carnmore airport, that the setup was ideal for vaccine rollout

is_that_so wrote: »
    Message has always been if you've been tested, self-isolate. It amuses me to imagine MoH Louise O'Reilly facing that challenge.

People have been ignoring the message wholesale.

It's why it's important to you know.

Test - Trace - Isolate.

seamus wrote: »
    You're overstating this really. We're certainly creaking, but we're far from out of control.

The NVRL only does a proportion of the testing, and it is unavailable this weekend and next weekend.

It's obviously not ideal, but it's not like we won't be doing any testing.

Likewise with the contact tracing.

With case numbers starting to reduce, both of these issues are less of a concern. Squeaky bums for the next week or two, but shouldn't be an issue overall.

It does tell us what we need to work on though in preparation for a third wave.

I hope you are right, my initial reaction was one of 'what else can go wrong now'. I suppose people like to feel reassured that the resources are there and the country is prepared for the worst. There is also an air of covid fatigue in the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Decent hospital numbers so far today., 37 in ICU, 311 in hospital.

ICU numbers have only increased 20% in the last 14 days.

Some faint signs that they're stabilising; which would match the stabilisation in cases. But it could just be random correlation. We could easily see another leap in hospital numbers next week.

My wife was recently told that someone from her small gym class tested positive for covid. The class was in a small unventilated room for 45 or so minutes.

Imagine being a teacher and spending 6 hours in the same sized room with 30 other people where less stringent close contact rules apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Boggles wrote: »
    Imagine being a teacher and spending 6 hours in the same sized room with 30 other people where less stringent close contact rules apply.

Imagine...

lawred2 wrote: »
    Imagine...

b84b5ae1801af118809a2233cce4e41a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

So we could possibly have only hospital cases this weekend. That is scandalous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What the WHO are saying is that there wasn't just 79k infected. There was 79k that they know about. But thats not the true number. The true number is more like 790k or even 1.5m. And then your fatality percentages are much much smaller consequently.
    Germany will always have their house in order.

We are constantly shocked by it, they aren't. That's just how they do things.

Truth

Their attitude is resilient and disciplined.

While here, people are instructed what to do, for their health, health and wellbeing of their country and citizens. This includes being distant from each others and wearing masks as the most important things to do in halting the spread of covid....

SO.... the fûcking idiots come together, en masse, doing practically everything they’ve been asked not to do....

Health care workers, sitting watching this on tv. After the sacrifices, the Trojan work and risks to their own health and that of loved ones... seeing people who won’t even engage in the simplest of responsibilities such as distancing, mask wearing and supporting restrictions.... depressing.

War breaks out, you’d have the same cûnt buckets out shining their phones at the sky, protesting at curfew and blackouts, *its against our civil rights* meanwhile some other poor cuñt at home gets a shell through their roof.

This country is the fückin pits. If the government had any backbone they’d set up a camp down the curragh for them. If they don’t like masks and distancing they can unmask and un distance to their hearts content, together. When they get covid they can then while struggling for breath think about their decisions.

• Advertisement

Irish Times reporting the NVRL are trying to outsource testing to Enfer in Naas for the next two weekends to make up for the closure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A lot of money should have been spent on bolstering our health service capacity during the Summer when the virus was not spreading.
    We missed the boat and will have a long, drawn out attempt at managing this as a consequence.
    Spending a lot of money on the health service in the summer would have been much too late. If it was attempted it would likely have resulted in the Leaving Cert predictive grades fiasco x 1000.

With the way the State and public service operates, the time to prepare for a possible pandemic and other "what ifs" was 5, 10, 15 years ago. An "impossible" task given that year after year, we couldn't even prepare for the inevitable flu and winter vomiting bug outbreaks.

Never mind a global pandemic, if a jumbo jet with a few hundred people on board were to crash in a potato field here, we better hope that
    -most of the passengers are killed outright so we don't have to treat them
    -it doesn't happen in winter
    -it doesn't happen at the weekend

On a micro and less dramatic level, I work in the public service and on many occasions have experienced mundane and predictable events (e.g. female staff of child bearing age going on maternity leave) throwing things into chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's another scandal but nothing will be done about it

System has collapsed completely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I hope you are right, my initial reaction was one of 'what else can go wrong now'. I suppose people like to feel reassured that the resources are there and the country is prepared for the worst. There is also an air of covid fatigue in the community.
    Yeah, I used to be concerned that people weren't taking it seriously enough and didn't know all the precautions or risks. Now I see it like, so long as I'm taking my own precautions and keeping my family safe, other people are free to believe and do whatever they want and the government can work away sorting their stupid mess out.

I feel absolutely terrible for overstretched healthcare workers, frustrated for unprotected school staff (who, mercifully, are so close to their midterms now), sympathetic with exposed, public-facing essential workers like supermarket employees, delivery drivers and emergency services personnel. It irritates me to see people being careless, because employees are the people in the firing line at times like this, when the virus is so widespread. It's their families I worry about.

It's all sh!t craic anyway, do what ye can to stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I have been in favour of whatever NPHET and the HSE have advised from the start. Lockdown? No problem, restrict movements? No problem, wear a face mask? No problem.

My wife was recently told that someone from her small gym class tested positive for covid. The class was in a small unventilated room for 45 or so minutes.

She rang her GP and the HSE to see if she needs a test. She was told she would be classed as a casual contact and not to get a test.

Fcuk me, 45+ minutes in a small room with someone with covid yet theres no risk....yet I have to put a mask on to go into the shop for 3 minutes.

The inconsistencies are now starting to annoy the cock off me.

Why would anyone gather in a small, unventilated room for that length of time? Surely people can use their own judgement and realise that is not ideal.

Strumms wrote: »
    Truth

Their attitude is resilient and disciplined.

While here, people are instructed what to do, for their health, health and wellbeing of their country and citizens. This includes being distant from each others and wearing masks as the most important things to do in halting the spread of covid....

SO.... the fûcking idiots come together, en masse, doing practically everything they’ve been asked not to do....

Health care workers, sitting watching this on tv. After the sacrifices, the Trojan work and risks to their own health and that of loved ones... seeing people who won’t even engage in the simplest of responsibilities such as distancing, mask wearing and supporting restrictions.... depressing.

War breaks out, you’d have the same cûnt buckets out shining their phones at the sky, protesting at curfew and blackouts, *its against our civil rights* meanwhile some other poor cuñt at home gets a shell through their roof.

This country is the fückin pits. If the government had any backbone they’d set up a camp down the curragh for them. If they don’t like masks and distancing they can unmask and un distance to their hearts content, together. When they get covid they can then while struggling for breath think about their decisions.

prone to bouts of silliness and exaggeration?

a few entitled clowns and we have 'This country is the fückin pits'

Germany has their idiots too you know!?

https://www.google.com/search?q=anti+mask+demonstration+in+berlin

Impact is 600 cases per day from the lab shutdown according to RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They're saying that NVRL is processing less tests than it was anyway so that it won't cause an issue and other labs have the capacity. There's multiple other labs in use. We'll see though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

At least we don't have people acting the fool in Berlin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

I believe they are given that message, in that the hope that they behave as if positive, but its not the case that they are counted as positive cases, else there would be a massive discrepancy between positive swabs and confirmed cases

That could explain it allright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Why is the lab shutting down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Staffing issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Cases or Swabs

is_that_so wrote: »
    Staffing issues.

Oh oh, did some staff get sick and out isolating?

It's closed over the weekend, this weekend and next weekend because they don't have enough staff to run it.

Probably down to staff illness or untaken holidays or similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sounds more like time off for them.

They never have enough staff even without COVID so no

quite simply there is zero deterrent for gangs of these muppets getting together en masse, causing chaos, risking health and wellbeing of the people and healthcare workers.

The country is the pits not due ‘just’ to a few self entitled clowns and their behaviors but due to the state not having the will or want to actually provide a deterrent.

I go out in my car, there is a deterrent to breaking lights, driving over the speed limit.... if there wasn’t, people would just go through them, over the limit or some people.

It's the same with covid. Because people can’t see a deterrent..... they are provided and enabled to put the rest of us in danger.

It might suit your cartoon agenda to throw out term like ‘silliness’ and ‘exaggeration’ but we all have a right to inform and express an opinion on what we are seeing and experiencing during covid.

It's closed over the weekend, this weekend and next weekend because they don't have enough staff to run it.

Probably down to staff illness or untaken holidays or similar

Being sick is a reasonable excuse. But not have staff to cover holidays or whatever is not really acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Flappidyflap

Think it should be more clear about the NVRL, I think it's ender who actually test the majority of swabs so it's not like those weekends testing will stop. It sounds like a point is been proven, they've probably been screaming out for staff /help and the good will has ended trying to cover everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They're saying that NVRL is processing less tests than it was anyway so that it won't cause an issue and other labs have the capacity. There's multiple other labs in use. We'll see though

Hopefully.

Very skeptical. Other labs may have the capacity but they may need to divert resources to meet the increased demand.

HSE, in particular keep doing this, they say they have capacity for X but they never specify whether they have to borrow resources from Y to cope with X. It's infuriating to the point that each time I see a statement from a public body saying they have capacity I intrinsically doubt it. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

I think the whole thing is a farce. I don't mind wearing masks etc but there's no consistency.
    I just don't believe them. I suspect half the Covid related deaths were not down to Covid but some other condition.
    I've also seen first hand the carry on of folks ringing in to work with self diagnosed Covid symptoms so as to doss off for 2 weeks
    Back in March when we first shut down we didn't know what we were dealing with, it could have been the next plague instead its not but yet they are treating the whole thing as if it was the Walking Dead virus.
    Young people now are being treated so badly its shame-full and we should be embarrassed by it.
    Forcing small Cafes, pubs hairdressers off-licences etc to close yet go into any of the big Supermarkets and there's no social distancing. Till workers behind some magic Perspex screen!! like wtf is that supposed to protect them from??
    Its pure Bollsh!t.
    We are going to destroy the Economy which will cause far more deaths than any Virus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Think it should be more clear about the NVRL, I think it's ender who actually test the majority of swabs so it's not like those weekends testing will stop. It sounds like a point is been proven, they've probably been screaming out for staff /help and the good will has ended trying to cover everything.

Yes,the NVRL is not the main processer of community swabs

quite simply there is zero deterrent for gangs of these muppets getting together en masse, causing chaos, risking health and wellbeing of the people and healthcare workers.

The country is the pits not due ‘just’ to a few self entitled clowns and their behaviors but due to the state not having the will or want to actually provide a deterrent.

I go out in my car, there is a deterrent to breaking lights, driving over the speed limit.... if there wasn’t, people would just go through them, over the limit or some people.

It's the same with covid. Because people can’t see a deterrent..... they are provided and enabled to put the rest of us in danger.

It might suit your cartoon agenda to throw out term like ‘silliness’ and ‘exaggeration’ but we all have a right to inform and express an opinion on what we are seeing and experiencing during covid.

right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Dr Cillian De Gascun just said on the News at One it is because one of their 2 teams get Covid and so they are isolating .

I think the whole thing is a farce. I don't mind wearing masks etc but there's no consistency.
    I just don't believe them. I suspect half the Covid related deaths were not down to Covid but some other condition.
    I've also seen first hand the carry on of folks ringing in to work with self diagnosed Covid symptoms so as to doss off for 2 weeks
    Back in March when we first shut down we didn't know what we were dealing with, it could have been the next plague instead its not but yet they are treating the whole thing as if it was the Walking Dead virus.
    Young people now are being treated so badly its shame-full and we should be embarrassed by it.
    Forcing small Cafes, pubs hairdressers off-licences etc to close yet go into any of the big Supermarkets and there's no social distancing. Till workers behind some magic Perspex screen!! like wtf is that supposed to protect them from??
    Its pure Bollsh!t.
    We are going to destroy the Economy which will cause far more deaths than any Virus

How do you know people are self diagnosing themselves with covid symptoms? How dare they protect others around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Decent hospital numbers so far today., 37 in ICU, 311 in hospital.

ICU numbers have only increased 20% in the last 14 days.

Some faint signs that they're stabilising; which would match the stabilisation in cases. But it could just be random correlation. We could easily see another leap in hospital numbers next week.

I think there is an element here of lies, damn lies and statistics.

You can spin stats either way.

For example, RTE reported as a headline last evening that cases per 100,000 had reached 300+ over last 14 days (TRUE).

But cases declined by 8% two days ago, and by a further 8% yesterday. Yesterday’s figures were 16% lower than 2 days ago with drops of over 100 each day. (Dublin was also down yesterday by 7%).

So if I want to disseminate bad news, i say cases have reached 300+.

If i want to disseminate good news i say there are encouraging signs emerging recently, with drops of 8% each day.

And in todays I Times we are told that cutting cases by 100 a day will save 20 lives per month. That implies 20 deaths per 3000 cases. But over the last fortnight we have had 14,420 cases, and 50 deaths. That’s 10 deaths per 3000 cases. So where is the 20 coming from?

Its pure Bollsh!t.

Young people are being treated the same as everyone else.

Under no definition are they being treated badly. By that logic the laws of the country should be amended so they are not responsible in many instances for the breach of laws.

Young people are only being asked and instructed to behave in a legal and safe manner, the SAME as everyone else...

The recession here didn’t kill 2000 people, covid almost has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

SPDUB wrote: »
    Dr Cillian De Gascun just said on the News at One it is because one of their 2 teams get Covid and so they are isolating .

Over worked, it was only a matter of time before one of them licked a positive swab

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Will Yam wrote: »
    I think there is an element here of lies, damn lies and statistics.

You can spin stats either way.

For example, RTE reported as a headline last evening that cases per 100,000 had reached 300+ over last 14 days (TRUE).

But cases declined by 8% two days ago, and by a further 8% yesterday. Yesterday’s figures were 16% lower than 2 days ago with drops of over 100 each day. (Dublin was also down yesterday by 7%).

So if I want to disseminate bad news, i say cases have reached 300+.

If i want to disseminate good news i say there are encouraging signs emerging recently, with drops of 8% each day.

And in todays I Times we are told that cutting cases by 100 a day will save 20 lives per month. That implies 20 deaths per 3000 cases. But over the last fortnight we have had 14,420 cases, and 50 deaths. That’s 10 deaths per 3000 cases. So where is the 20 coming from?

Some of the 14,000 cases that will die have either not died yet or if they have, the death may not have been reported yet. Deaths always lag cases and reporting of the deaths can lag the time of death by months.

• Advertisement

Swab numbers in early today.

17,746 tests, 1038 positive, 5.85% positivity.

7-day positivity rate down to 6.6%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Young people are being treated the same as everyone else.

Under no definition are they being treated badly. By that logic the laws of the country should be amended so they are not responsible in many instances for the breach of laws.

Young people are only being asked and instructed to behave in a legal and safe manner, the SAME as everyone else...

The recession here didn’t kill 2000 people, covid almost has.

Pulling figures from your AR£s there. Just like the Health service

Pulling figures from your AR£s there. Just like the Health service

Hahaha, right... you disagree with the numbers, you post the actual numbers so..go ahead :pac: To contradict what I’m posting post your numbers we are waiting, my numbers are from the HSE yes. But you know better, now where are YOUR numbers to counter what the HSE have said, and your sources for them, let’s have it, come on. !

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Over worked, it was only a matter of time before one of them licked a positive swab

Lol! Teacher's figuring out what happens if they cough on each other now too :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Eod100 wrote: »
    System seems to be completely straining now https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1319590819645575169?s=19
    E36Ross wrote: »
    3 days of tests.
    40,000 odd.
    We will be the fúcking first country who will have to bring in a harsher lockdown than back in March.
    Irish Times reporting the NVRL are trying to outsource testing to Enfer in Naas for the next two weekends to make up for the closure.

The reaction to this is completely overblown. Tests will absolutely be processed this weekend 24/7 all over the country as they have been since the beginning. These sensationalist headlines and uninformed reactions on twitter are so frustrating.

The NVRL have been working full throttle since February. They have always been a reference lab. They only ever had an on call service on weekends before Covid.

"Staff shortages" due to much needed annual leave, sick leave, whatever are long overdue for the work they have done.

It just means ENFER or the lab in Germany will pick up the slack.
    Capacity will not be greatly effected for a reduced service for 2 weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Great! Daily + rate reached a peak of 7.9% on 17th October, and now we've been below 6% for 2 days in a row. Looking like exponential decay to me :)

Today we officially crossed 1 million community tests done - that is swabs not including hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

Great! Daily + rate reached a peak of 7.9% on 17th October, and now we've been below 6% for 2 days in a row. Looking like exponential decay to me :)

Be careful using the exponential word in a positive way. You might upset some very serious mathematicians on here

That's hopeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

If numbers start dropping now does it mean level 3 actually does work to reduce cases when you're not dealing with a place as populated as Dublin where it just seems to slow growth?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement