Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I believe they are given that message, in that the hope that they behave as if positive, but its not the case that they are counted as positive cases, else there would be a massive discrepancy between positive swabs and confirmed cases

Nevertheless, if what you say is true, telling people that they are positive for Covid without knowing whether they are or not is criminal. To deliberately give someone a false diagnosis! Who knows what affect that could have on people. I sincerely hope that isn't true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

If numbers start dropping now does it mean level 3 actually does work to reduce cases when you're not dealing with a place as populated as Dublin where it just seems to slow growth?
    It's quite clear level 3 had an impact on Donegal. I assume it's more to do with population density etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Heard a snip of some interview with a HSE rep on rte radio the other day. They asked her why the hospitals weren't better prepared since they've had seven months to get ready for a surge and her answer was "well we didn't expect the surge to be so soon". Bull**** Karen, even if the surge was in December there wouldn't be enough beds. They'd say "oh we had them in October when we expected a surge and then it didn't come". Typical HSE fúckery.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

1252 and 5 deaths in NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

It's quite clear level 3 had an impact on Donegal. I assume it's more to do with population density etc.

And if we had proper enforcement throughout Dublins level 3 we probably wouldn't be where we are now either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

If numbers start dropping now does it mean level 3 actually does work to reduce cases when you're not dealing with a place as populated as Dublin where it just seems to slow growth?

It now look like level 3 nationwide has brought the reproductive rate to about 1. I think the problem with Dublin was the surge in cases in Meath etc. This was always going to impact Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

It now look like level 3 nationwide has brought the reproductive rate to about 1. I think the problem with Dublin was the surge in cases in Meath etc. This was always going to impact Dublin.

If cases are already (hopefully) starting to slow and maybe drop I'd be hopeful we can put a large dent in the daily rate after 6 weeks.

When we went to lockdown last time cases were still skyrocketing. Seems like we might not be doing too bad right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Even if we had 200 cases tomorrow, theyd push this level 5 on us until December and maybe let us down to level 4

That is the problem with the swift move to 5 with NPHET in charge there is no way out.

They are extremely cautious to the detriment of much of society and we will lose again thanks to giving them such power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

The current estimate of R is 1.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Antares35 wrote: »
    Heard a snip of some interview with a HSE rep on rte radio the other day. They asked her why the hospitals weren't better prepared since they've had seven months to get ready for a surge and her answer was "well we didn't expect the surge to be so soon". Bull**** Karen, even if the surge was in December there wouldn't be enough beds. They'd say "oh we had them in October when we expected a surge and then it didn't come". Typical HSE fúckery.

It's BS, even without COVID the hospitals would be in dire straits this winter, just like they are every winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

People need to calm down about the NVRL closing - according to De Gascun at lunch they only do 600 tests a day which is 3.3% of today's total.

They split the group in to two teams to avoid the whole lot being exposed to Covid - one group is now self isolating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭celt262

It's BS, even without COVID the hospitals would be in dire straits this winter, just like they are every winter

And that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

At the moment everyone is probably not wrong, three has stabilised the numbers and would probably work with enforcement of the measures, GAA parties etc, the delay in numbers to people getting seriously ill means the hospitals will be under pressure for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, it looks like changes in levels do work, but on an isolated-county basis maybe not so much. Any change most likely requires the hotspot plus surrounding counties to be restricted.

So the LOK-down worked because it was 3 counties around a hotspot. If we had moved Wicklow, Kildare, Meath & Louth (at least) to level 3 at the same time as Dublin, we'd have probably seen a more sustained impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

seamus wrote: »
    Swab numbers in early today.

17,746 tests, 1038 positive, 5.85% positivity.

7-day positivity rate down to 6.6%.
    See that's the instant effect of Level 5 for ya!

Benimar wrote: »

Yeah, but he only used data up to Tuesday for that. Three more days of stability since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

is_that_so wrote: »
    See that's the instant effect of Level 5 for ya!

And a few thousand people having to do their own contact tracing.

Yeah, it looks like changes in levels do work, but on an isolated-county basis maybe not so much. Any change most likely requires the hotspot plus surrounding counties to be restricted.

So the LOK-down worked because it was 3 counties around a hotspot. If we had moved Wicklow, Kildare, Meath & Louth (at least) to level 3 at the same time as Dublin, we'd have probably seen a more sustained impact.

We certainly might have done. Given the amount of people who travel for work into Dublin, Level 3 in Dublin only could never really work (in hindsight!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭hawkwing

CSO updated,
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries14/

1531 deaths with an underlying condition,median age 83
    29 with no underlying condition,median age 81

There were 1,417 deaths of people with underlying conditions in the over 65 age group. Of the 129 deaths in the 25-64 age group, 112 had underlying conditions.

In terms of underlying conditions, chronic heart disease was present in 44% of deaths.
    No deaths at all in Waterford or Leitrim of any age/condition since this began,whenever that was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sardonicat wrote: »
    And a few thousand people having to do their own contact tracing.

at almost 18,000 tests a day... it seems the weekend contact tracing "drop off" is not evident... Unless they went out and rounded up a few thousands randomers to test to bump up the numbers :)

• Advertisement

I believe they are given that message, in that the hope that they behave as if positive, but its not the case that they are counted as positive cases, else there would be a massive discrepancy between positive swabs and confirmed cases

Actually, the more I think about this the more bizarre it becomes. A person who doesn't bother their backside to attend for their test gets a message to say that they are positive and they are expected to believe it? Who the Hell came up with that brainwave? We really are suffering for all the years of cronyism and jobs for the boys.

Said the same during the LOKdown, to be effective you need to close the bordering counties also... people will travel from Dublin to Kildare for lunch or dinner... less likely to travel to Westmeath or Offaly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

Will we see a back log in numbers because of the closing of the testing lab , Or have they the capacity to test more in other locations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mloc123 wrote: »
    at almost 18,000 tests a day... it seems the weekend contact tracing "drop off" is not evident... Unless they went out and rounded up a few thousands randomers to test to bump up the numbers :)
    Anecdotally, I'm not sure if the tracing issue is as dire as it appears. The majority of people I've personally known gettng tested because they're a contact, have done so because someone other than the contact trace team has been in touch.

Whether that's an email from work or a text from a mate, it seems - again anecdotally - that many people know they're contact well before the tracing team do.

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, this might be unintentionally better because more people are getting tested who would otherwise not have been contacted by the tracing team.

But it's not something to rely on, far from it. Blind luck at best.

hawkwing wrote: »
    CSO updated,
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries14/

There were 1,417 deaths of people with underlying conditions in the over 65 age group. Of the 129 deaths in the 25-64 age group, 112 had underlying conditions.

In terms of underlying conditions, chronic heart disease was present in 44% of deaths.
    No deaths at all in Waterford or Leitrim of any age/condition since this began,whenever that was...

Chronic heart disease is probably present in the majority of over 80’s. Doesn’t mean they are about to die. That’s why it’s called chronic, not acute. An uncle of mine lived for years in virtual heart failure before dying at 87, having a a relatively happy last few years

polesheep wrote: »
    Actually, the more I think about this the more bizarre it becomes. A person who doesn't bother their backside to attend for their test gets a message to say that they are positive and they are expected to believe it? Who the Hell came up with that brainwave? We really are suffering for all the years of cronyism and jobs for the boys.

My point was if they do this, that’s likely why, I find it hard to believe though for the reasons you outline

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Think it should be more clear about the NVRL, I think it's ender who actually test the majority of swabs so it's not like those weekends testing will stop. It sounds like a point is been proven, they've probably been screaming out for staff /help and the good will has ended trying to cover everything.

Yeah, Enfer having been doing the majority of community swabs for a while.

Anecdotally, I'm not sure if the tracing issue is as dire as it appears. The majority of people I've personally known gettng tested because they're a contact, have done so because someone other than the contact trace team has been in touch.

Whether that's an email from work or a text from a mate, it seems - again anecdotally - that many people know they're contact well before the tracing team do.

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, this might be unintentionally better because more people are getting tested who would otherwise not have been contacted by the tracing team.

But it's not something to rely on, far from it. Blind luck at best.

Yes, I think if anything MORE people will end up being tested as contact tracers would have normally ruled a lot of them out as casual contacts and not referred for testing.

Hmm, wonder just how this will work in practice but at least there is a plan.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/basketball/2020/1023/1173482-outdoor-basketball-training-permitted-but-no-passing/

• Advertisement

My point was if they do this, that’s likely why, I find it hard to believe though for the reasons you outline

Fair enough. I mistakenly took it from your post that it is actually happening. I wish journalists would ask these kind of questions and put all the nonsense that's out there in the bin where it belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Benimar wrote:
    And the target is 0.5.

Long way to go.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/basketball/2020/1023/1173482-outdoor-basketball-training-permitted-but-no-passing/

It reminds me of a couple of lads I played football with. The greedy bastard$ would never pass the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

hawkwing wrote: »
    CSO updated,

So with 1,618 deaths in total and 1,531 having underlying conditions, Covid has only killed 87 "healthy" people.

I get its serious and we should all be taking precautions but at a certain point we have to start coming onto the fact that if you aren't compromised and are under 65 you're overwhelmingly likely to be just fine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    but at a certain point we have to start coming onto the fact that if you aren't compromised and are under 65 you're overwhelmingly likely to be just fine.
    Well you're overwhelmingly likely not to die. It doesn't mean there won't be non-fatal complications, which is the bit I'd be more concerned about for my own health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭innuendo141

So with 1,618 deaths in total and 1,531 having underlying conditions, Covid has only killed 87 "healthy" people.

I get its serious and we should all be taking precautions but at a certain point we have to start coming onto the fact that if you aren't compromised and are under 65 you're overwhelmingly likely to be just fine.

It's beyond me how many times it needs to be explained that while you may be perfectly fine if you are under 65, you are also perfectly fine to pass it on to someone/many over 65.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Sconsey

True-ish as long as we keep cases under control. But if the cases get out of hand then the health service gets totally swamped. At that point everyon is at risk...emergency services will be comprimised, urgent treatments will be at risk, etc. That healthy teenager better not get a rumbling appendix because there may not be an operating theatre availble to remove it before ruptures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Its the people of Ireland who are being dunked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Will Yam wrote: »
    I think there is an element here of lies, damn lies and statistics.

You can spin stats either way.

For example, RTE reported as a headline last evening that cases per 100,000 had reached 300+ over last 14 days (TRUE).

But cases declined by 8% two days ago, and by a further 8% yesterday. Yesterday’s figures were 16% lower than 2 days ago with drops of over 100 each day. (Dublin was also down yesterday by 7%).

So if I want to disseminate bad news, i say cases have reached 300+.

If i want to disseminate good news i say there are encouraging signs emerging recently, with drops of 8% each day.

And in todays I Times we are told that cutting cases by 100 a day will save 20 lives per month. That implies 20 deaths per 3000 cases. But over the last fortnight we have had 14,420 cases, and 50 deaths. That’s 10 deaths per 3000 cases. So where is the 20 coming from?

You're comparing deaths and cases in the same period. There's a lag between a person becoming infected and dying and a further delay before the death is reported. In other words those 50 deaths related to a time when there were fewer than 14,000 cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/if-lockdown-has-morphed-from-tactic-to-strategy-the-state-has-failed-1.4388434

Good article.

This lockdown is a result of the failure of the state from the start of the pandemic.
    Personally I am fed up of people who think we have done a good job when we are now told we will be in a series of rolling lockdowns.

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/if-lockdown-has-morphed-from-tactic-to-strategy-the-state-has-failed-1.4388434

Good article.

This lockdown is a result of the failure of the state from the start of the pandemic.
    Personally I am fed up of people who think we have done a good job when we are now told we will be in a series of rolling lockdowns.
    Up to the summer most of what we did was good, given the novel nature of the virus. Now, we're in a bit of a no-man's land as nobody wants to invest in a very expensive system that may never get used in the same way. Add to that, the other V-word - a vaccine, which appears to be tantalisingly close. Even if all they do is make all cases mild and non-life-threatening it's the more attraction option but it comes at a high short-term price - likely rolling lockdowns. There just don't seem to be any other stategies or alternative tools out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The hand sanitiser thing is a scandal. The Irish government is again lurching from one calamity to another.

There’s a lot more to come on it fro what I’ve heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

that's a bit of a facebook post

what have you heard?

No harm, it’s not like people on here get their knickers in a twist before making themselves aware of facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Swab numbers in early today.

17,746 tests, 1038 positive, 5.85% positivity.

7-day positivity rate down to 6.6%.

I doubt nphet will be referencing this improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Go on, spill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's at least 30% of the population.

The largest demographic for ICU admissions in Ireland in first wave was 55-64.

In the US 20% of covid deaths were under 65.
    4% of covid deaths were under 65 without co-morbidities.

So, "just fine" ... if you have ICU there for you.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

RobertKK wrote: »

Good article.

But it was the public that failed to listen to the guidelines guys. The reality of the matter is it was rule breaking house party animals and their lack of social distancing and being in it together holding firm that has resulted in us now all wondering if deaths cold grey hand will reach out from the frozen mist for us when the dark cold nights of a grim black winter close in on us all as we all watch the situation get even more stark, hopeless, and sobering on RTE going forward.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement