Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I can't believe there's actually people on here who think none of the cases identified last weekend have notified their contacts. Like seriously?

People are arseholes, if they don't have symptoms, people will think they're fine and carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

froog wrote: »
    because a collapse/slowdown in contact tracing will have an immediate impact on cases.

it could take 1-2 weeks to see an increase due to the impact of untested positives infecting other people.
    That's not what you said.

You claimed it would cause a sudden drop in cases. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

People are arseholes, if they don't have symptoms, people will think they're fine and carry on.
    Thinking that about people is incredibly naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

because a collapse/slowdown in contact tracing will have an immediate impact on cases.

it could take 1-2 weeks to see an increase due to the impact of untested positives infecting other people.

Will you stop being so miserable and just try be a bit optimistic for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

???

People have been shíting around the place with symptoms while waiting for (their positive) test result.

Why do you suddenly think people are gunna behave responsibly?

pjohnson wrote: »
    ???

People have been shíting around the place with symptoms while waiting for (their positive) test result.

You only ever hear about the people who are '****ting around the place' and not the vast majority who do exactly as they're told.
    What a bizarre, bizarre way of thinking about people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

seamus wrote: »
    That's not what you said.

You claimed it would cause a sudden drop in cases. Why?

close contacts are the most likely group to test positive.

contact tracing collapses, at least a good portion of them don't get tested.

immediate drop in cases in the space of a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Just for people's reference:
    Community referrals for the first 4 days this week are already higher than the first 4 days last week. Almost as if people are coming forward for testing :rolleyes:
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard-23-october-2020.pdf

This is very interesting. I posted yesterday about how I could understand people not going for a test when the receive a call from a contact tracer who refuses to tell them where or when they had contact. If you get a call from a friend or work colleague, however, you can be sure of the contact and you are more likely to get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

???

That’s right, blame the public. Deflect and avoid accountability of our public representatives.
    Perhaps you should walk around this evening & see if there’s a video you could take of ‘people not social distancing’ / having fun, congregating, etc. Throw it up on twitter or Facebook & see will the politicians fall over themselves to condemn it? That should distract nicely for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

niallo27 wrote: »
    Will you stop being so miserable and just try be a bit optimistic for once.

lol

i may come across that way now. if you were around back in march you would have seen i was firmly in the optimistic camp and have become more pessimistic as this thing has spiraled out of control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Which would result in the positivity rate increasing, and as a result, cases increasing, which isn't happening.

The positivity rate amount close contacts is around 13%.

The testing positivity rate is much less.

The test numbers is stable the positivity rate is down.

This suggests to me that a lot of people are doing 5their own contact tracing and drawings up casual contacts rather than close contacts. The wrong people are getting tests and the right people aren't.

Therefore case numbers are down and positivity rate is down.

I'm not saying it definitely happened but I certainly feel it's more likely that the national position turning for the positivity at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You only ever hear about the people who are '****ting around the place' and not the vast majority who do exactly as they're told.
    What a bizarre, bizarre way of thinking about people.
    Unfortunately 50pc are not turning up for that second test. The positivity rate for the second test is 2pc or 3pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

polesheep wrote: »
    This is very interesting. I posted yesterday about how I could understand people not going for a test when the receive a call from a contact tracer who refuses to tell them where or when they had contact. If you get a call from a friend or work colleague, however, you can be sure of the contact and you are more likely to get tested.

You would think that friend of work colleage would have informed you before the hse contact tracers. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The fella who infected 56 people, one of them who felt sick in the morning but felt better in the evening and continued to go to a party while waiting for results. I seriously don't trust people in this.

close contacts are the most likely group to test positive.

contact tracing collapses, at least a good portion of them don't get tested.

immediate drop in cases in the space of a few days.
    Symptomatics are the most likely to test positive.

And there has been no decrease in the number of tests being carried out.

If close contacts weren't getting tested, there'd be a drop in tests by 3000-4500 per day.

Boggles wrote: »
    What does that have to do with people not getting referred?

There's a bizarre mentality that everyone in Ireland is an utter c*nt. Weird way of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If I was doing my own contact tracing I'd end up contacting too many people. I wouldn't assume there will be a drop in the numbers being tested.

That’s right, blame the public. Deflect and avoid accountability of our public representatives.
    Perhaps you should walk around this evening & see if there’s a video you could take of ‘people not social distancing’ / having fun, congregating, etc. Throw it up on twitter or Facebook & see will the politicians fall over themselves to condemn it? That should distract nicely for a day or two.

Public representatives have been as much use as a chocolate teapot and the HSE been a complete fùckin shambles this week.

That doesn't mean dopes ignoring symptoms and galavanting around arent thicks aswell. Some members of the public ARE responsible for their own actions.

Well they should be but have no control so therefore everyone has to suffer to try and babysit the eejits.

The fella who infected 56 people, one of them who felt sick in the morning but felt better in the evening and continued to go to a party while waiting for results. I seriously don't trust people in this.
    Because there was nothing stopping that person from not isolating when they come into the country.
    But blame the people, right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Naive??? Coming from someone who proclaimed the country would never ever be under nationwide restrictions again.. and while making said proclamation stated they would eat a shoe if it happened.
    Your arrogance smugness and condescension is in overdrive this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Assuming that the person with the positive result rings them. I know of a case where close contacts of a positive case begged that person not to mention them when the tracers called as they are self employed.

The whole system is based on honesty and humans can be weak and self centered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

spookwoman wrote: »
    You would think that friend of work colleage would have informed you before the hse contact tracers. :rolleyes:

People are stigmatised and blamed for testing positive. Perhaps criticised or assumed as to ‘not following the rules’, I really don’t understand why people are surprised if individuals don’t want to come forward. You can get Covid by following every rule, some people seem to think wearing a mask makes you safe from it - it doesn’t.
    The media and those constantly blaming members of society for the existence of Covid 19 are to blame for people not coming forward.

Because there was nothing stopping that person from not isolating when they come into the country.

Christ. This'll be good.

Why should he not be blamed? Are you now saying that its the governments fault that that person made their own irresponsible decision?

"Nothing stopping that person from not isolating" is a great line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some people have not behaved as they were supposed to but you can't scapegoat anyone that catches it. Yet, had that man self-isolated it would just have been the immediate contacts at risk.

This suggests to me that a lot of people are doing 5their own contact tracing and drawings up casual contacts rather than close contacts. The wrong people are getting tests and the right people aren't.
    That's reaching tbh. Why would the list they draw up be any different to the list they give the contact tracers? It wouldn't.

Tbh it sounds like you're looking for any reason to explain a drop in cases that doesn't concede that the situation is improving.

The explanation that makes the fewest assumptions is that the infection rate is actually slowing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Guys Youve Been Framed is on ITV2

A cat chased a bear up a tree

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Eod100 wrote: »
    15,000 in last 14 days. 55,261 cases in total so far, that's nearly 30% of all cases.

Known cases. There is an enormous difference.

It seems likely that during the first wave there were more cases we never knew about than those we did know about, whereas now it is likely that the vast majority are being counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Assuming that the person with the positive result rings them. I know of a case where close contacts of a positive case begged that person not to mention them when the tracers called as they are self employed.

Well the Irish certainly are, duck, dive, lie, we just can't help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A lot of self-employed were on the lowest PUP rate and could see huge hits to their income and getting the supports which were in place wasn't easy at all. It's also very easy to reach the moral higher ground when you're paid by the State!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What percentage have the app on their phones now, surely that is working

People are stigmatised and blamed for testing positive. Perhaps criticised or assumed as to ‘not following the rules’, I really don’t understand why people are surprised if individuals don’t want to come forward. You can get Covid by following every rule, some people seem to think wearing a mask makes you safe from it - it doesn’t.
    The media and those constantly blaming members of society for the existence of Covid 19 are to blame for people not coming forward.

People are responsible for their own actions, it's not the media that is spreading the virus, it is people.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

Rolling out Tony for a dose of propaganda tonight. When will people wake up.

Perhaps, or perhaps they prefer to leave that to the tracers. I don't see the reason for rolling your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

People are responsible for their own actions, it's not the media that is spreading the virus, it is people.

Shame on the people. Lock them up, peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

My sister tested positive and they didn't even ask her to upload close contacts..

34% of over 16 s in the country, I thought it would be more to be honest

Blondini wrote: »
    Source?

TV screen? My eyes?

Actually to be honest its more like Jackass lite than the YBF of Jeremy Beadle's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

manniot2 wrote: »
    Rolling out Tony for a dose of propaganda tonight. When will people wake up.

Do you consider yourself awake?

manniot2 wrote: »
    Shame on the people. Lock them up, peasants.

So who is responsible for a persons actions if not themselves?

Whats this new theory that absolves any and all responsibility?

• Advertisement

True, that's why I said 'more likely'.

Boggles wrote: »
    Tracing collapsed nearly 3 weeks ago and by the sounds it has got worse.

We simply are finding less cases now then we were before that.

Track and Trace 101.

How many more indicators of a clusterfúck behind the scenes do we need before we declare it a clusterfúck?

NPHET are very protective of the public health officials doing the tracking and tracing and Nolan especially goes out of his way nearly every briefing to praise them to the nth degree because he well knows how much pressure they are under and if they down tools we are proper fúcked.

“The positive rate is rising, proof tracing has collapsed”

“Actually the positive rate has now been falling for a number of days”

“The positive rate is falling, proof tracing has collapsed”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

is_that_so wrote: »
    A lot of self-employed were on the lowest PUP rate and could see huge hits to their income and getting the supports which were in place wasn't easy at all. It's also very easy to reach the moral higher ground when you're paid by the State!

Good low blow there. Anything constructive to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭AUDI20

Really, What Time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

seamus wrote: »
    That's reaching tbh. Why would the list they draw up be any different to the list they give the contact tracers? It wouldn't.

Tbh it sounds like you're looking for any reason to explain a drop in cases that doesn't concede that the situation is improving.

The explanation that makes the fewest assumptions is that the infection rate is actually slowing down.
    Why wouldn't someone give the same list to the contact tracers. They do quiet a bit more than ask who you have contacted.

They do mini risk assessments. If someone worked in an office and was asked their close contacts I'd name everyone in the office. The contact tracers might interview them as to how much space is between desks, are there other mitigation factors in place etc.

The contact tracers might identify 2 or 3 people into a group of close contacts that turn out to be 13% positive. An individual naming the entire office might identify 10 or 15.

I see it as common sense. You seem to giving the average person a lot of credit. I'm not that positive I'm afraid.

Perhaps, or perhaps they prefer to leave that to the tracers. I don't see the reason for rolling your eyes.

21/10/2020

The HSE is to send a text message today asking between 2,000 to 2,500 confirmed cases - who have already been informed by text of their infection - to tell their own close contacts to immediately seek a Covid-19 test
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/taoiseach-learned-of-overwhelmed-contact-tracing-system-from-media-1021330.html
    I roll my eyes because any responsible person would inform their work colleges and friends if they tested positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

So who is responsible for a persons actions if not themselves?

China!

“The positive rate is rising, proof tracing has collapsed”

“Actually the positive rate has now been falling for a number of days”

“The positive rate is falling, proof tracing has collapsed”

On top of that when the Swabs weren't high enough earlier it was cases that mattered, it's always glass half empty.

AUDI20 wrote: »
    Really, What Time?
    Now!

I'll get the VHS ready next time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Now!

I'll get the VHS ready next time

Clip just on there of a fella eating a shoe. Gas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement