Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

manniot2 wrote: »
    Rolling out Tony for a dose of propaganda tonight. When will people wake up.

I know it's Friday and we are in lockdown and the social life is dry and the weather is sh1te:cool: but looking forward sitting down with a bottle while watching the late late. It will be great.

We can do a boards.ie drinking game. Every time coronavirus and virus is mentioned we can have a shot. We will be drunk by 10.30 no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

owlbethere wrote: »
    I know it's Friday and we are in lockdown and the social life is dry and the weather is sh1te:cool: but looking forward sitting down with a bottle while watching the late late. It will be great.

We can do a boards.ie drinking game. Every time coronavirus and virus is mentioned we can have a shot. We will be drunk by 10.30 no doubt.

Dont be influencing manniott. He may need his parents permission. He is not responsible for his own actions so need to ask his parent/handlers permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

First there was Claire Byrne, who had to broadcast from her shed.

Then came Ciara Kelly.

Today it's Kathryn Thomas: 'I think I probably could have had' Covid-19.

Shocking how covid attacks narcissists so much more than ordinary joes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Good low blow there. Anything constructive to add?
    It's as constructive as your own comments. I know a number of people who got mired in red tape for weeks trying to sort out supports and these are people who'd be comfortable enough with the Revenue merry go round. Some are definitely not and the option of a grand total of €406 for 2 weeks would make some people think twice about being a contact, especially if they are in non-regular employment. If you were PAYE it was almost in your account from Day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I find it odd senior politicians are retweeting anonymous accounts tbh https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1319702538808156165?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Blondini wrote: »
    Clip just on there of a fella eating a shoe. Gas.

He'll be laughing all the way to bank with his £250

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

First there was Claire Byrne, who had to broadcast from her shed.

Then came Ciara Kelly.

Today it's Kathryn Thomas: 'I think I probably could have had' Covid-19.

Shocking how covid attacks narcissists so much more than ordinary joes.

Are they narcissists because they work in TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

Eod100 wrote: »
    I find it odd senior politicians are retweeting anonymous accounts tbh https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1319702538808156165?s=19

He’s a FG advisor apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

No, they work in TV because they are narcissists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As they are stats they are likely to be easy to verify. It's something that's been said here by posters for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

He's essentially saying "see, I might not have been wrong after all"

Toddlers shouldn't be politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i mean do people not think contact tracing is in a shambles right now? they've been crying out for more staff for weeks if not months. last weekend it broke down entirely. not to mention it is fundamentally flawed in the first place, with "close contacts" only being defined as people you were in contact with 48 hours prior to symptom onset. not to mention the debacle in schools contact tracing as told by teachers themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The conversations I was having a week ago were that it took 8 to 10 weeks in the first wave to see a significant drop off in cases, around mid-May.

It was clear to me last week that purely on the maths alone that Level 3 hadn't been given enough time to work, certainly not with adequate enforcement. I understand NPHET didn't want to let the situation get too critical because of the fragility of the ICU capacity, but if they had seen the pattern play out earlier in the year, I feel they could have been more circumspect in pushing for Level 5 at this point. Level 3 with a high level of enactment would have been worth it for another few weeks, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

No. Plenty of people work on tv of all types.
    mloc123 wrote: »
    No, they work in TV because they are narcissists

Haha brilliant!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

What does the track and trace (HSE) have to do with reported cases (HPSC)? There's zero correlation.

I assume you are deliberately being obtuse here?

Contact tracing directly impacts on testing considering close contacts are automatically sent forward for testing.

If you are a close contact
    If you are a close contact of someone who has tested positive you will receive either:
    • a call from a contact tracer
    • an alert on your mobile phone, if you're using the COVID Tracker app
    You will have to:
    A contact tracer will arrange a COVID-19 test for you, even if you do not have symptoms.

Today's figures are positive but downplaying the issues with contact tracing is of little benefit to anyone.

Surely not

ryan-tubridy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Couple of times a week there is some discrepancy in the 24hr total for testing. Like today's total is 1520643, yesterday is was 1502919 that's a difference of 17724 yet hub has 17746.
    Day before Hub 17856 where difference in totals is 18052, that is 196 less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

“The positive rate is rising, proof tracing has collapsed”

“Actually the positive rate has now been falling for a number of days”

“The positive rate is falling, proof tracing has collapsed”

"We have thrown in the towel"

Quote from an actual public health doctor who conducts tracing.

But I guess you know better. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

All will be ok tomorrow when they add on the 200 they didn't report today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What other country puts there cmo on a late night talk show?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Following assurances over future posting, Kermit.de.frog's threadban is now lifted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

gipi wrote: »
    My local Tesco Extra has blocked off the clothes section, with the exception of some children's clothing (might be only underclothes and the like, I didn't pay too much attention) and men's underwear.

Clothes retailers complaining they have to close while the like of Dunnes and Tesco can sell same. You can understand the anger and I guess that's behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

owlbethere wrote: »

I sang that in my head to the air of 'Summertime'.

Beasty wrote: »
    Following assurances over future posting, Kermit.de.frog's threadban is now lifted

Finally some positive news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Why are they closing Field hospitals if we are close to being overrun?

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1319707662242570242

rob316 wrote: »

Tony is in for some fall when the cervical check tribunal starts.

Why are they closing Field hospitals if we are close to being overrun?

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1319707662242570242

Easier lock everyone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

rob316 wrote: »

And what other countries CMO would go on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Great to see the numbers come down today. And that's only after the 1st day of restrictions. Hopefully they continue to go south over the next few days.

• Advertisement

Again!

Positivity rate in Switerland is 50% their contact tracing has collapsed too.

https://www.arcinfo.ch/aio-gm/web/news/html/995332/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Wait, is Tony Holohan appearing on the Late Late tonight? :D

I said the other day it won't be long before Holy Holohan would be doing the talk show circuit. Teflon Tony embracing his new found fame!

Sickening..."Get me on Parkie!! I've things to say!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Guys Youve Been Framed is on ITV2

A cat chased a bear up a tree

No wonder the bear ran. That cat had covid.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Great to see the numbers come down today. And that's only after the 1st day of restrictions. Hopefully they continue to go south over the next few days.

Imagine if they had to listen to Nphet first time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Finally some positive news

Can’t wait to hear worldometer updates on how Timor Leste is getting on. Have they gone up from 1, double figures? Nail biting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

MOR316 wrote: »
    Wait, is Tony Holohan appearing on the Late Late tonight? :D

I said the other day it won't be long before Holy Holohan would be doing the talk show circuit. Teflon Tony embracing his new found fame!

Sickening..."Get me on Parkie!! I've things to say!"

Dancing with the stars next year with Dr Glenn

Boggles wrote: »
    "We have thrown in the towel"

Quote from an actual public health doctor who conducts tracing.

But I guess you know better. :rolleyes:

Which is it? The rising positive rate for the past couple of weeks was evidence that contract tracing had failed or the falling positive rate for the past few days is evidence contact tracing has failed? Because it can’t be both. Or just maybe there is another path. The rising positive rate for the past few week is evidence of a virus growing at a doubling rate of ca. 10 days, resulting in massive pressure on the contact tracing system, ultimately causing the need for a reset. And the falling positive rate is evidence that the additional control implemented 2 weeks ago is starting to have an effect. Neither unreasonable assumptions

Only Ireland is having struggles, everyone knows that. Everything is worse in Ireland than anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Dancing with the stars next year with Dr Glenn

Which he'll win because he'll introduce restrictions on the other contestants.

Absolute toerag!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Who from SAGE is on Graham norton this week ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Weren't ye all upset when Dr Anthony Fauci was on it a few weeks ago. True he's not the surgeon general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Which is it? The rising positive rate for the past couple of weeks was evidence that contract tracing had failed or the falling positive rate for the past few days is evidence contact tracing has failed? Because it can’t be both. Or just maybe there inns another path. The rising positive rate for the past few week is evidence of a virus growing at a doubling rate of ca. 10 days, resulting in massive pressure on the contact tracing system, ultimately causing the need for a reset. And the falling positive rate is evidence that the additional control implemented 2 weeks ago is starting to have an effect. Neither unreasonable assumptions

Have to say, if the government didn't pull the trigger on level 3 restrictions when they did, we be up **** Creek more so. Imagine tracking and tracing collapsing at a much higher positivity %.

Hopefully like the testing fiasco when there was a massive demand from the public when the case definition was relaxed. They kind of just reset that and started afresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

spookwoman wrote: »
    People are responsible for their own actions, it's not the media that is spreading the virus, it is people.

By existing and living people will spread the virus. Are you suggesting we stop living? It’s this kind of attitude that has people hiding symptoms and not getting tested.
    Anything you wish to do that involves others will carry a risk, food shopping, petrol, pharmacy, Doctor/medical appointment, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Anyone know if we have the same or equivalent but different strain of covid circulating in Ireland.. meant to be even more transmissible but less lethal? If we don't thinking maybe we should invite some Norwegians over for free holidays!

Maybe now kermits back he could look into it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Serious lockdown, the bars and restaurants have to close at 11, thankfully they can do takeaway later

By existing and living people will spread the virus. Are you suggesting we stop living? It’s this kind of attitude that has people hiding symptoms and not getting tested.
    Anything you wish to do that involves others will carry a risk, food shopping, petrol, pharmacy, Doctor/medical appointment, etc.

No it's not, unless of course you are suggesting that people who are waiting on testing or their results don't follow the guidelines and continue living as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

froog wrote: »
    contact tracing results in a large number of asymptomatic positives being caught that otherwise wouldn't. do you seriously not understand that?

Agreed. If 1000 are positive and the R0 is 1.5 thats potentially 1500 positives if there was no contact tracing for original 1000. Assuming 50% are asymptomatic, that's 750 who may slip through the net, not knowing they have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Serious lockdown, the bars and restaurants have to close at 11, thankfully they can do takeaway later

Nightclubs have to close at 11 too.
    Their lockdown is our level 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I follow a few Swiss virologists on Twitter, as you do, and they are apoplectic about what is going on. Richest country in the world, Federal government and Cantons both pointing fingers but doing nothing. The virologists are literally not leaving their homes the disease is so rampant.

I thought some of the comments that we are in for the hardest four months of our lives were a bit over the top, but I'm beginning to wonder if we will see mass graves in Europe over Winter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement