Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

seamus wrote: »
    If the contact tracing thing didn't put an end to Paul Reid's career, this ViraPro thing probably will.

It turns out the company that the HSE bought 3 million units of hand sanitiser from (which they've now had to remove), only came into existence in April.

Before that, they sold tourist tat; Oirish souvenirs.

If shady business and brown envelopes weren't involved, then it was incompetence on an enormous scale.

The HSE needs to be beheaded completely and reset. The entire management team are morons.
    Ireland is built on brown envelopes. That’s why so many are understandably against raising taxes to solve the healthcare situation. It’s catch 22 because of corruption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

If the contact tracing thing didn't put an end to Paul Reid's career, this ViraPro thing probably will.

It turns out the company that the HSE bought 3 million units of hand sanitiser from (which they've now had to remove), only came into existence in April.

If shady business and brown envelopes weren't involved, then it was incompetence on an enormous scale.

The HSE needs to be beheaded completely and reset. The entire management team are morons.

Don't often agree with you, but I'm with you on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Reid seemed a decent bloke, a lot of the other people I have seen presented are so unbelievably defensive and try and put any of the issues that have arisen on other people, namely those peasents breaking dem rulez

It is pathetic the HSE can get away with using COVID to cover their total mismanagement of the Irish health system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Would I be right in thinking that a vast majority of posters on here believe that the reduction in cases over the last couple of days is due to the level 5 restrictions?

There is a cohort of posters here who would have us locked up and locked down forever until the virus is eliminated completely. These will be likely to think level 5 is working that quickly. They are not very smart and are not capable of analytic thinking in my opinion.
    There are others like me that think we need to just get on with life and let the virus work through the system. We would seem to be regarded by the first group as granny killers. Make of it what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Put it this way; if you owned a large, financially successful company would you hire any of the HSE executives as senior executives of your private company?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Would I be right in thinking that a vast majority of posters on here believe that the reduction in cases over the last couple of days is due to the level 5 restrictions?

No.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Not even remotely, it's clearly the effects of level 3. More of a stabilising effect than a substantial reduction.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No. Its national level three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Put it this way; if you owned a large, financially successful company would you hire any of the HSE executives as senior executives of your private company?

Put it this way, if you could be a senior executive at a large, financially successful company, could you be enticed to the HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

So I think everybody now agrees that whatever concoction they have Trump it cured him of Covid-19 (in a very quick and spectacular way)!
    So while we're waiting for a vaccine to arrive why doesn't the whole world just procede with distributing to each and every Covid patient what ever he was given?

Probably a cost issue, right?

When US President Donald Trump was ill with COVID-19, his physicians administered a bevy of medications — some proven, others experimental. But there is one that the president has hailed as a “cure”: a cocktail of coronavirus antibodies produced by Regeneron Pharmaceuticals in Tarrytown, New York.

The 'curative' power of this antibody treatment has yet to be proven. Although it has shown promise in small, early studies in people with mild COVID-19 symptoms, large clinical trials have not yet been completed.

Antibodies are expensive and difficult to make, and they are administered at relatively high doses. Several researchers who spoke to Nature highlighted the 8 grams of antibodies — the highest dosage tested in clinical trials — that Trump received. “It’s an enormous dose,” says virologist Gerald McInerney of the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm. “Even if it did work, at a dose of 8 grams, it would be incredibly expensive.” Even the lower doses being tested — Regeneron’s lowest is 2.4 grams — would be too high for widespread use as a preventative treatment, says Björkman.

Some researchers are hoping to develop nanobodies that can be aerosolized and inhaled, to directly protect the key sites of coronavirus infection: the nose and the lungs. Researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, hope that the inhalable approach will allow such nanobodies to be effective at far lower doses than are required for standard antibodies, which are injected and must travel through the blood to the site where they are needed. “We anticipate it being used as a prophylactic spray before you get on an airplane or go to a party,” says Walter, who is working on one such nanobody.
    “We’re a long way off,” from moving such nanobodies into the clinic, says biophysicist Raymond Owens at the University of Oxford, UK. “But I’m cautiously optimistic.”

doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-020-02965-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Put it this way, if you could be a senior executive at a large, financially successful company, could you be enticed to the HSE?

Absolutely! Big pay with no culpability!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

All people care about is cases.

Numbers are down apparently.

Completely ignoring testing and tracing grounding to a halt, the two most vital components of actually detecting those who are positive.

Maybe is we close the labs altogether we can go to level 0?

I'm inclined to think you may have a point, while it's definitely better to see at least a stabilisation of numbers I'm wary of getting too excited or sure about things. There must be people slipping through the net with the problems with tracing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Covid is a respiratory disease.

Respiratory diseases are seasonal due to how we live in winter.

If you are more likely to catch it in doors then it's seasonal.

We have just come through a summer where the disease practically disappeared across Europe despite rigorous testing.

I agree with you, but other, as yet unknown, factors may go some ways towards negating that logical expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Summer2020

https://streamable.com/syj4zh

The sheebeen that the guards closed in Athy yesterday. This is why we’re in level 5 folks. Because of absolute morons like these up and down the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

HSE being a thundering disgrace shocker.

Paul Reid as a senior civil servant will have to be pushed with the promise of a g9lden handshake in order to go. Thats how we doing things in Ireland.

What's that name of the company that sold the offending article?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Any ideas as to which minister or HSE executive that links to this company or its directors.???

Has to be a underhand contract award or it wouldn’t be corrupt old Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

There is a cohort of posters here who would have us locked up and locked down forever until the virus is eliminated completely. These will be likely to think level 5 is working that quickly. They are not very smart and are not capable of analytic thinking in my opinion.
    There are others like me that think we need to just get on with life and let the virus work through the system. We would seem to be regarded by the first group as granny killers. Make of it what you will.

I'm no granny killer, but at some stage in the very near future we are going to reach an economic pinch point.

I think we can open up and get on with life, while not being reckless and still taking sensible precautions.

And I was strongly in favour of these heavy restrictions in the beginning, when we knew very little about this virus and needed to proceed carefully. It made sense back then... but we can't follow this ultra cautious strategy indefinitely. It will be disastrous to our economy and to our lives in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Can you give us a link to where you are seeing this

Because as written your posting doesn't make sense

If company only came into existence in April how could it be selling other products before that

So do you mean their parent company or directors of the company were selling other items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Summer2020 wrote: »

The sheebeen that the guards closed in Athy yesterday. This is why we’re in level 5 folks. Because of absolute morons like these up and down the country.

Get them into court and give them a whopper of a fine.

The country is paying the price for the lax applications of the rules going back as far as when Gemma and her gemmaroids were allowed abuse Gardai outside the Courts a few months ago.
    They should have been made an example of.
    The station house hotel should have been made an example of the same way Berlin2 was.

This shebeen operator should be made an example of, put the ****s up anyone considering breaching the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Any ideas as to which minister or HSE executive that links to this company or its directors.???

Has to be a underhand contract award or it wouldn’t be corrupt old Ireland.

It's not necessarily corrupt. It could have been bought in a panic. These things were in short supply at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I don’t see how you can lay the blame of a manufacturers mistake on their customer.

The producer had manufactured the product incorrectly and what was in the bottle did t correspond to the label presumably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Standard HSE - get more money per capita than most countries, spend it in the worst way possible, increase management bonuses and salaries.

Rinse and repeat

We just don't do accountability.

Look at that FG rat that was scamming expenses from Dáil Éireann while actually working in Brussels..

Varadkar played the big man about clamping down on SW fraud, then this lowlife packs in his job at LH and suddenly it's "we can't investigate him any more".

And that system isn't by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

polesheep wrote: »
    It's not necessarily corrupt. It could have been bought in a panic. These things were in short supply at the time.

Perhaps but historical deals would have to make one rather suspicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Polar101

Turns out the Department of Agriculture were notified on September 25th that the hand sanitiser sold by this company is dodgy - then they ran tests, and noticed it's indeed dodgy, but not until October 16th.

And did the minister of Agriculture know about this in September?
    Mr McConalogue told the Dáil he only learned of the difficulties on Thursday.

So his department was notified of a problem in September, and verified it on October 16th - but the minister didn't know until the 22nd.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/minister-for-agriculture-acknowledges-department-should-have-issued-sanitiser-notice-sooner-1.4389317

Well, we haven't sacked a minister of Agriculture for a while, maybe it's time again soon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Thought that might be an old video, I just didn't believe it. But nope. Saw one person with a mask down on their chin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Now I can't be certain, lads, but are they gaelic tops they're wearing there? And would they be singing about being county champions?

I'd imagine a few of those faces would be known locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

I'm no granny killer, but at some stage in the very near future we are going to reach an economic pinch point.

I think we can open up and get on with life, while not being reckless and still taking sensible precautions.

And I was strongly in favour of these heavy restrictions in the beginning, when we knew very little about this virus and needed to proceed carefully. It made sense back then... but we can't follow this ultra cautious strategy indefinitely. It will be disastrous to our economy and to our lives in general.

I love the way you had to state you’re no granny killer before stating the lockdown is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Thought that might be an old video, I just didn't believe it. But nope. Saw one person with a mask down on their chin.

GAA again. The county Champions

https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/kildare-sfc-final-athy-edge-out-moorefield/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Perhaps but historical deals would have to make one rather suspicious

I'd be suspicious of incompetence more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

So I think everybody now agrees that whatever concoction they have Trump it cured him of Covid-19 (in a very quick and spectacular way)!
    So while we're waiting for a vaccine to arrive why doesn't the whole world just procede with distributing to each and every Covid patient what ever he was given?

Probably a cost issue, right?
    Yeah we'd never be able to afford that much bleach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Polar101 wrote: »
    Turns out the Department of Agriculture were notified on September 25th that the hand sanitiser sold by this company is dodgy - then they ran tests, and noticed it's indeed dodgy, but not until October 16th.

So his department was notified of a problem in September, and verified it on October 16th - but the minister didn't know until the 22nd.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/minister-for-agriculture-acknowledges-department-should-have-issued-sanitiser-notice-sooner-1.4389317

Well, we haven't sacked a minister of Agriculture for a while, maybe it's time again soon?

I bet if it was a dodgy batch of Scour Halt, they wouldnt be long taking it off the shelves.

Polar101 wrote: »

All of these people at the top of this, all of the politicians and all of the people on NPHET and all of the HSE... they just all seem to be totally out of their depth. All completely incapable of being responsible.

I haven't caught Covid19 yet, but I'll tell you lads, I'm feeling very sick anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

There does seem to be some strong polarisation of the opinions and discussion here from what I have observed, and anecdotal evidence suggests this tendency is widespread in those not professionally involved in dealing with the pandemic.

If I can suggest that things are not quite so black and white. All data, modelling, including international fora sharing the experience of other countries around the world, are strongly conclusive that both those supporting a 'let the virus work through the system' approach, and those saying that countries should be 'locked up and locked down forever' (and 'lockdown' seems to be a very imprecisce term used as if it were a precise description by many), are wrong.

The best scientific analysis shows that a via media, of continually adapting, regionalised, focused measures, appropriate to each culture, economy, and situation at a given time, is the best course of action.

I appreciate, and many specialists comment on the phenomena, generally relating to 'celebrity' experts or various media darings, or internet quoted personalities, that this middle course does not lead to the circular debate common on social media and popular radio discussion platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

I bet if it was a dodgy batch of Scour Halt, they wouldnt be long taking it off the shelves.

https://youtu.be/ZpzTLkwm6uw

Good find. It's funny to see the three of them socially distanced there in the photograph, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭boardise

polesheep wrote: »

Was this substance not supposed to be tested before being marketed as a human health related product ? Must be some enquiries to be made in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭boardise

Now I can't be certain, lads, but are they gaelic tops they're wearing there? And would they be singing about being county champions?

I'd imagine a few of those faces would be known locally.

No doubt the usual nincompoops will think they're heroes - rebels defiantly thumbing their noses at authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Looks like level 5 was a complete over reaction and that level 3 is working but it wasn't allowed enough time before jumping up a level. Now, loads of businesses are shut again and many won't open up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

owlbethere wrote: »
    Looks like level 5 was a complete over reaction and that level 3 is working but it wasn't allowed enough time before jumping up a level. Now, loads of businesses are shut again and many won't open up again.

And no-one on NPHET or in the government care.

They'll be looked after financially.

Can’t be proven either way so the sledgehammer approach will win the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's easy to say that now with the benefit of hindsight. At the time cases were continuing to rise across the country and even in Dublin which had been in level 3 for over a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

People were only chomping at the bit for Tony to be proved right and Leo to look stupid.

RTÉ everyday just screaming for level 5.

Sick of it all now.

No leaders. Noone taking the bull by the horns.

It's easy to say that now with the benefit of hindsight. At the time cases were continuing to rise across the country and even in Dublin which had been in level 3 for over a month.

Dublin is always going to be harder to reverse than other counties for a number of reasons. Nphet know this obviously but they used Dublin as an example of l3 not working.

People were only chomping at the bit for Tony to be proved right and Leo to look stupid.

RTÉ everyday just screaming for level 5.

Sick of it all now.

No leaders. Noone taking the bull by the horns.

RTÉ play to their audience. The public will have to wake up before RTE changes its tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

manniot2 wrote: »
    Can’t be proven either way so the sledgehammer approach will win the day.

The numbers are coming down and its still only 2 days into a level 5 and level 5 results would be too early to show itself. So level 3 was working and its showing now with the numbers reducing. Level 5 was too restrictive and if they felt moving up a level was needed, a level 4 would have been more than enough to see where it takes us if it didn't work, then move to level 5. Many businesses will never open again. Not to mention mental health. The lockdown in March was a walk in the park because the evenings were getting brighter and there was a novelty factor about it too. Now we are going into the winter with getting dark early, bad weather, people socially isolated, and not a place open in sight.

It was wrong to ban the outdoor dining areas. It's needed for people to get away from home gatherings, people could have met in a safer environment for some social interactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Good for them. Hope they find a new spot and no doubt they will.

Thankfully my Sunday evening crew don't bother much with the social media.

The numbers are coming down and its still only 2 days into a level 5 and level 5 results would be too early to show itself. So level 3 was working and its showing now with the numbers reducing. Level 5 was too restrictive and if they felt moving up a level was needed, a level 4 would have been more than enough to see where it takes us if it didn't work, then move to level 5. Many businesses will never open again. Not to mention mental health. The lockdown in March was a walk in the park because the evenings were getting brighter and there was a novelty factor about it too. Now we are going into the winter with getting dark early, bad weather, people socially isolated, and not a place open in sight.

It was wrong to ban the outdoor dining areas. It's needed for people to get away from home gatherings, people could have met in a safer environment for some social interactions.

Im just telling you what Nphet will say - the numbers wouldn’t have come down enough in level 3 for anyone to have a Xmas. It’s bribery basically.

You might be talking sense but don't forget that we had to save christmas. That's why people wanted level 5. Because after level 5 people would suddenly be able to all have their grannies around for some dry turkey and over-boiled carrots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Be gas if any of the decision makers were found spending their guaranteed income in a Shebeen lol.

Well they did it in a golf club.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I see clothes shops getting around closure by click and collect.
    You still have to go to the door and collect your purchase.
    That kind of defeates the purpose as I'm sure not every customer is from within a 5km radius.

To thine own self be true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement