Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭RunningFlyer

I’m only catching up with the sanitiser saga. Did the company actually manufacture it with methanol vs. ethanol? I’m no chemist but even I know if someone said “methanol” it would sound alarm bells in my head! Criminal if someone without a scientific knowledge set up a company distributing health products undercutting proper safe products.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭manniot2

Be gas if any of the decision makers were found spending their guaranteed income in a Shebeen lol.

Well they did it in a golf club.....

I’d say you’ll be waiting a while to see Nolan in a shebeen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

manniot2 wrote: »
    I’d say you’ll be waiting a while to see Nolan in a shebeen.

It's people like him you have to watch :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Be gas if any of the decision makers were found spending their guaranteed income in a Shebeen lol.

Well they did it in a golf club.....

If you are referring to the Clifden incident, I think it may have been in a hotel that the regulations were either bent or broken. The activity at the golf club earlier was not in breach of any regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

People were only chomping at the bit for Tony to be proved right and Leo to look stupid.

RTÉ everyday just screaming for level 5.

Sick of it all now.

No leaders. Noone taking the bull by the horns.

It’s so obvious that rte has lost the plot over this Covid hysteria.and I’m not being sexist or putting women down but some of theIt presenters are a disgrace.step forward Audrey carville who is no.1 for hysterical guff.she’s a joke on morning Ireland.talking up another lockdown since early august
    Clare Byrne is out of her depth too and yesterday she went way across the line with a 70 yr old man who said he wasn’t going to hid away now or caccoon again.she was so condescending to him and that he should be grateful to have the rest of society closing down to protect him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

boggerman1 wrote: »
    It’s so obvious that rte has lost the plot over this Covid hysteria.and I’m not being sexist or putting women down but some of theIt presenters are a disgrace.step forward Audrey carville who is no.1 for hysterical guff.she’s a joke on morning Ireland.talking up another lockdown since early august
    Clare Byrne is out of her depth too and yesterday she went way across the line with a 70 yr old man who said he wasn’t going to hid away now or caccoon again.she was so condescending to him and that he should be grateful to have the rest of society closing down to protect him.

She's the most overrated useless interviewer RTE have in my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I see clothes shops getting around closure by click and collect.
    You still have to go to the door and collect your purchase.
    That kind of defeates the purpose as I'm sure not every customer is from within a 5km radius.

No, but they're not rambling about the shop.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    No, but they're not rambling about the shop.

Heaven forbid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are you suggesting the current figures have anything to do with level 5
    I said nothing of the sort. I was wondering whether the poster I quoted, who has said restrictions can't/won't/don't work, might be changing his mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

You might be talking sense but don't forget that we had to save christmas. That's why people wanted level 5. Because after level 5 people would suddenly be able to all have their grannies around for some dry turkey and over-boiled carrots.

A level 5 to save Christmas doesn't make a tap of sense. It doesn't matter what numbers we have in December and at Christmas time we will still need to follow the guidelines of social distancing and avoiding crowds and no gatherings and keep our contacts low so that would mean no parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Summer2020 wrote: »

Why is the infection rate so much higher in the 18-24 age group.... Oh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Why are sports shops open? Or are they meant to be open?

Wanted to get to a shop last weekend but it was closed on Sunday, then it was lashing rain on Monday and Tuesday. I felt sick on Wednesday and I thought that was my chance over with. But nope, shop was open to walk into today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Im just telling you what Nphet will say - the numbers wouldn’t have come down enough in level 3 for anyone to have a Xmas. It’s bribery basically.

My read is that this is unlikely. I expect they will descend quickly in W47 and W48 in all counties.

That kind of defeates the purpose as I'm sure not every customer is from within a 5km radius.

The N4 around Liffey Valley was dead today, compared to the last few months. Click and collect or not.. there is nowhere near the same volume of people out and about.

People will still go and buy the stuff they want/need but you won't have the people heading for a walk around the shops to get out of the house.

mloc123 wrote: »
    The N4 around Liffey Valley was dead today, compared to the last few months. Click and collect or not.. there is nowhere near the same volume of people out and about.

People will still go and buy the stuff they want/need but you won't have the people heading for a walk around the shops to get out of the house.

Who would go shopping for a walk :confused:

Airside was busy today. Not as busy as a usual Saturday, but def not quiet either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Anyone got any indication as to why the likes of Cyprus, Finland, Estonia, Liechtenstein and Norway aren't facing any significant second wave?

If people are not going in to the shops, then what’s the problem. The purpose of the regulations is to stop people congregating in enclosed spaces. Some business owners try to carry on their business in a safe way. They should be applauded rather than abused by people who seem to care little about the lives and livelihoods of hard-working business owners who we will need to restart the economy when this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Airside was busy today. Not as busy as a usual Saturday, but def not quiet either

Airside, probably the runways.

Who would go shopping for a walk :confused:

Quite a lot of people every weekend... "Going for a look in the shops".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If people are not going in to the shops, then what’s the problem. The purpose of the regulations is to stop people congregating in enclosed spaces. Some business owners try to carry on their business in a safe way. They should be applauded rather than abused by people who seem to care little about the lives and livelihoods of hard-working business owners who we will need to restart the economy when this is all over.

I get what you're saying but this is Ireland.
    Next week we'll see people queuing at the door for their click and collect purchase, then see something else they like on a shelf behind the cordon.
    'Oh can I just come in and grab that please?' will start happening.

To thine own self be true

Heaven forbid

That's kind of the point of the restriction. :o

Next week we'll see people queuing at the door for their click and collect purchase, then see something else they like on a shelf behind the cordon.

Click and collect is all pay online? So I can't see how that will happen. I was in power city earlier, collecting.. no tills open, paid online and showed the email on arrival... No option to grab a packet of batteries etc.. while there.

They tried that last time and it didn't work. No item ordered no sale. Most shops didn't let you in the door.

Anyone got any indication as to why the likes of Cyprus, Finland, Estonia, Liechtenstein and Norway aren't facing any significant second wave?

Their turn will come.
    The more ‘successful’ countries have been in suppressing the virus, the more vulnerable they are. The virus isn’t going to ‘reward’ people for being ‘good’.

Quite a lot of people every weekend... "Going for a look in the shops".

Good Lord. In a shopping centre?

Whatever about a meander around town (gone now for me, it is the deadzone), I don't get why anyone would want to be in a large enclosed shopping centre these days. But maybe I am older and more crotchety. Hands up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

No GAA clubs?

:pac:

Click and collect is all pay online? So I can't see how that will happen. I was in power city earlier, collecting.. no tills open, paid online and showed the email on arrival... No option to grab a packet of batteries etc.. while there.

Maybe that has changed but I beg to differ. Ordered something for click and collect. Fine got in and asked the guy if it was possible to get two more small items that I had forgotten about, he said yes, got them for me, and said now you have to go to the cash desk to pay. It was so easy. You just can't browse instore anymore, but I got what I wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Now I can't be certain, lads, but are they gaelic tops they're wearing there? And would they be singing about being county champions?

I'd imagine a few of those faces would be known locally.

Looks a bit like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/BRcaxHBhyJkNLrDi8

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Their turn will come.
    The more ‘successful’ countries have been in suppressing the virus, the more vulnerable they are. The virus isn’t going to ‘reward’ people for being ‘good’.

I think Czech Republic is case in point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://twitter.com/gpt2_bowers/status/1320058725277761541?s=20
    The Bowers bot shares some of its sage wisdom with us. Possibly the most empathetic AI out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Today's news from Europe.
    • Italy, Austria, Belgium, Portgual and France all reporting record rise in cases and continuing surge in hospitalisations.
    • Italy is to introduce strict curfews and tighten restrictions in the coming days according to a leaked draft of measures for the PM.
    • The Netherlands is to begin transferring patients to Germany as it's hospital system is under severe pressure.
    • The Czech Republic has officially requested aid from the EU to deal with it's own surge.
    • In Spain the government is pleading for regions to take action now to slow the spread of the disease. If they continue to obstruct the central government will have to take action for them.
    • The UK has seen it's highest Saturday rise in cases and fatalities since the beginning of the outbreak.
    • Germany seeing it's worst weekend surge in cases since the outbreak began in March.

Oh my, they're everywhere just like this virus!

I think the likes of big shops such as Tesco and Dunne's should be allowed sell clothing etc but there should be a one-off Pandemic tax on income generated fron 2020 applied to them, which could be reinvested to help support businesses heavily impacted by restrictions get back on their feet. I think EU should encourage members to adopt such a measure.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'm no granny killer, but at some stage in the very near future we are going to reach an economic pinch point.

I think we can open up and get on with life, while not being reckless and still taking sensible precautions.

And I was strongly in favour of these heavy restrictions in the beginning, when we knew very little about this virus and needed to proceed carefully. It made sense back then... but we can't follow this ultra cautious strategy indefinitely. It will be disastrous to our economy and to our lives in general.

If we didn't have shebeens in various places, and GAA clubs causing massive spikes as a result of their team winning, and "wet pubs" breaking all the rules to open the doors, (among other things), we'd not be needing to go into the sort of restrictions that we have.

The object of closing non essential stuff down is to try and persuade people to stay at home. Not go window shopping, or browsing for "nice to have" items. That's why the pubs and restaurants are closed. That's why public transport is running with massively reduced capacity.

That way, casual contact is reduced.

There is also the problem that we have to try and resolve the issue of a dysfuntional health system, which has been brought into sharp focus as a result of Covid on top of the normal issues that caused trolley overcrowding for longer than I can remember.

Add to that the ongoing shambles of the sanitiser, and it's clear that there's a massive shake up needed, preferrably yesterday.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Last time I went to Power City in lockdown I asked for hoover bags and he went and got them for me no bother

Good Lord. In a shopping centre?

Whatever about a meander around town (gone now for me, it is the deadzone), I don't get why anyone would want to be in a large enclosed shopping centre these days. But maybe I am older and more crotchety. Hands up!

Hey, it is my idea of hell... But people do it. Walk around, look in the shops.. food court for lunch and home.

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gpt2_bowers/status/1320058725277761541?s=20
    The Bowers bot shares some of its sage wisdom with us. Possibly the most empathetic AI out there.

Yep. Totally agree, this wouldn't never have happened in any of the last 5 decades.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Last time I went to Power City in lockdown I asked for hoover bags and he went and got them for me no bother

One anecdote. I can give you three where people were refused at Argos, Curry's and a local independent store. You'll always have some idiot not sticking to the letter of the rules.

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Way to go MF.

• Advertisement

If we didn't have shebeens in various places, and GAA clubs causing massive spikes as a result of their team winning, and "wet pubs" breaking all the rules to open the doors, (among other things), we'd not be needing to go into the sort of restrictions that we have.

The object of closing non essential stuff down is to try and persuade people to stay at home. Not go window shopping, or browsing for "nice to have" items. That's why the pubs and restaurants are closed. That's why public transport is running with massively reduced capacity.

That way, casual contact is reduced.

There is also the problem that we have to try and resolve the issue of a dysfuntional health system, which has been brought into sharp focus as a result of Covid on top of the normal issues that caused trolley overcrowding for longer than I can remember.

Add to that the ongoing shambles of the sanitiser, and it's clear that there's a massive shake up needed, preferrably yesterday.

Many don't or won't do sensible anymore though. Too used to freedom to do what they want, and will do it despite everything. And that includes every age group to be fair.

Locking down works. We can see that after six weeks L3 is working, but just not enough for the Winter Peak. So L5 might just let us have a bit of interraction for Christmas, and then we are back where we were again.

We live in hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Deaths in Europe will soon be exceeding daily US fatality rates if the latter's fatality rate climb does not accelerate faster (which seems unlikely given their own renewed surge)

USEUROPE.jpg?itok=t3tUDH_7

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    One anecdote. I can give you three where people were refused at Argos, Curry's and a local independent store. You'll always have some idiot not sticking to the letter of the rules.

I genuinely don’t understand when I post something that happened why someone will pop along with “ one anecdote “
    I never once said it was any one else’s experience or that anyone elses story was wrong ?

I had ordered a kettle and some other bits and he got the hoover bags . Can you explain how this kindness exposed me to more Covid than the kettle I ordered ?

Way to go MF.

No idea what that means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40070429.html
    Thoughts on this please.
    Possible vaccine available in Ireland by year end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Deaths in Europe will soon be exceeding daily US fatality rates if the latter's fatality rate climb does not accelerate faster (which seems unlikely given their own renewed surge)

Ireland need to make plans regarding travel/testing and put proper protocols in place. Holohan and Co need to be asked about this by the media or it will be a case of blaming sercet parties at Christmas etc. Something has to change after the numbers were supressed in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Per millimeter people?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

Today's news from Europe.
    • Italy, Austria, Belgium, Portgual and France all reporting record rise in cases and continuing surge in hospitalisations.
    • Italy is to introduce strict curfews and tighten restrictions in the coming days according to a leaked draft of measures for the PM.
    • The Netherlands is to begin transferring patients to Germany as it's hospital system is under severe pressure.
    • The Czech Republic has officially requested aid from the EU to deal with it's own surge.
    • In Spain the government is pleading for regions to take action now to slow the spread of the disease. If they continue to obstruct the central government will have to take action for them.
    • The UK has seen it's highest Saturday rise in cases and fatalities since the beginning of the outbreak.
    • Germany seeing it's worst weekend surge in cases since the outbreak began in March.

May I add Kermit that there has been some very positive noises coming from Pfizer today on the vaccine front , so not all doom and gloom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

At last, data to back up the heavy handed restrictions. It was beginning to look like a big con but if there's deaths rising then it justifies the restrictions.

Steve F wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40070429.html
    Thoughts on this please.
    Possible vaccine available in Ireland by year end?

I don't believe a word of it TBH. Takes far longer than that to get it approved for uptake.

And I personally would prefer to observe the rules of confinement than to take a vaccine that has been fast tracked. I know that sounds selfish, but those who want to take it can do so, I will wait in the wings for a bit and see how it goes.

This is all for the shareholders. 2024 is my prediction for a successful vaccine. So kill me now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement