Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

Steve F wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40070429.html
    Thoughts on this please.
    Possible vaccine available in Ireland by year end?

Once a vaccine is administered, no matter to how few people, no matter the efficacy or whether it slows transmission, we can kiss goodbye to adherence of the majority of the population to any further restrictions IMO. The vulnerability of the elderly and immunocompromised is really the only thing that gets buy-in for restrictions at this stage

So I think that governments have to be be very careful on only starting to deliver vaccinations when there are enough doses available and enough confidence in its effectiveness that it confers some degree of wider societal protection. Because once the first dose is administered then we’re done

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

I don't believe a word of it TBH. Takes far longer than that to get it approved for uptake.

And I personally would prefer to observe the rules of confinement than to take a vaccine that has been fast tracked. I know that sounds selfish, but those who want to take it can do so, I will wait in the wings for a bit and see how it goes.

This is all for the shareholders. 2024 is my prediction for a successful vaccine. So kill me now.

7 to 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

rooney30 wrote: »
    May I add Kermit that there has been some very positive noises coming from Pfizer today on the vaccine front , so not all doom and gloom

I heard a guy from Pfizer Ireland, (Paul Reid, I think), claiming that they will have a vaccine by the end of the year. He said that phase 3 trials were progressing at “breakneck speed”.
    I will not be queuing up for a vaccine that was developed at breakneck speed. There is a reason why vaccines take years to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    No idea what that means
    Mofo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Last two daily days numbers are positive. I wouldn't draw conclusions giving the collapse of contact tracing and scatter gun approach of adding the restrictions randomly. Hopefully all of them are working but can't even guess to what effect. Would be nice to know if level 3 would have worked or if the household visit ban was successful. Restrictions without enforcement or with enforcement? If numbers go down massively a week after the midterm it'll be proclaimed that level 5 is working and we can in fact live with the virus. Ignoring the fact 1 million people weren't mixing indoors like the usually do. Who knows. :pac:

530521.png

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

7 to 10 years.
    If I was a betting man I’d bet on 7-10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

If I was a betting man I’d bet on 7-10

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Steve F wrote: »
    Really?

Absolutely, I would definitely take the opinion of some punter on boards as gospel when it comes to a COVID vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Hubertj wrote: »
    Absolutely, I would definitely take the opinion of some punter on boards as gospel when it comes to a COVID vaccine.

Ahhh I see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I don't believe a word of it TBH. Takes far longer than that to get it approved for uptake.

And I personally would prefer to observe the rules of confinement than to take a vaccine that has been fast tracked. I know that sounds selfish, but those who want to take it can do so, I will wait in the wings for a bit and see how it goes.

This is all for the shareholders. 2024 is my prediction for a successful vaccine. So kill me now.

You'd really want to read up on the current vaccine development and trial process so.

Pfizer is looking like being approved for use before end of year.

The approval process usually takes longer as all data is submitted in one go, this time data has been submitted in real time to FDA and EMA. Rolling reviews are underway.

Effeicny data also due out soon along with phase 3 safety data. It'll all be there to read so the suggestion of this is for shareholders is quite frankly rubbish.

The more that get the vaccine the less resrictions and the quicker we get back to normal.

Theres a full thread on vaccine development with some very well informed posters while others have researched in their spare time. Couldn't be further from reality in your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Dr. Osterholm: We will be dealing with this virus forever.

The whole world is going to be experiencing COVID-19 ‘til the end of time. We’re not going to be vaccinating our way out of this to eight-plus billion people in the world right now.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/osterholm-americans-will-be-living-with-the-coronavirus-for-decades-2020-07-30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

7 to 10 years.

Well that is probably more realistic than my optimistic 4 years :D

Dr. Osterholm: We will be dealing with this virus forever.

The whole world is going to be experiencing COVID-19 ‘til the end of time. We’re not going to be vaccinating our way out of this to eight-plus billion people in the world right now.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/osterholm-americans-will-be-living-with-the-coronavirus-for-decades-2020-07-30

It literally describes an endemic which this will be, the actual virus is going nowhere, vaccines will reduce serious illness and prevent health systems from being over run,hence allowing a phased return to normality.

Full thread on all of this

rooney30 wrote: »
    New vaccines at best 30% effective ?
    High possibility of damage to your immune system?
    Seriously , at least back up such wild assumptions with a link or two
    If not , this thread just descends into ramblings of the first thing that comes into lads heads
    How effective does a vaccine have to be to get approval?
    And it’s slightly sexist to presume I’m a “lad”

You'd really want to read up on the current vaccine development and trial process so.

Pfizer is looking like being approved for use before end of year.

The approval process usually takes longer as all data is submitted in one go, this time data has been submitted in real time to FDA and EMA. Rolling reviews are underway.

Effeicny data also due out soon along with phase 3 safety data. It'll all be there to read so the suggestion of this is for shareholders is quite frankly rubbish.

The more that get the vaccine the less resrictions and the quicker we get back to normal.

Theres a full thread on vaccine development with some very well informed posters while others have researched in their spare time. Couldn't be further from reality in your post

Ah no worries, I am just being realistic. Doubt vaccines will eradicate it either. Panacea mainly. For the shareholders again and the economy. You are not convincing me given the past history of fast tracked vaccines either. Sayonara.

For the record I am totally not an anti vac person either. But reality has to come in to it at some stage. Sorry now if that brings your enthusiasm right down.

I don't believe a word of it frankly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

The people advocating further lockdown/confinement/restrictions who won’t take the supposed “rushed vaccines” will be a real danger in the next 6-12 months.

It’s a selfish viewpoint. But it’s a selfish viewpoint that will cause lots of damage. You have to take it with a pinch of salt now the people wanting continued lockdowns, do they just want destruction of the normal, of social lives etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

If we didn't have shebeens in various places, and GAA clubs causing massive spikes as a result of their team winning, and "wet pubs" breaking all the rules to open the doors, (among other things), we'd not be needing to go into the sort of restrictions that we have.

The object of closing non essential stuff down is to try and persuade people to stay at home. Not go window shopping, or browsing for "nice to have" items. That's why the pubs and restaurants are closed. That's why public transport is running with massively reduced capacity.

That way, casual contact is reduced.

There is also the problem that we have to try and resolve the issue of a dysfuntional health system, which has been brought into sharp focus as a result of Covid on top of the normal issues that caused trolley overcrowding for longer than I can remember.

Add to that the ongoing shambles of the sanitiser, and it's clear that there's a massive shake up needed, preferrably yesterday.

How come the exact same thing that is happening here in terms of cases is happening all over Europe?
    Did they have a lot of county finals in the Autumn too?

Kh1993 wrote: »
    The people advocating further lockdown/confinement/restrictions who won’t take the supposed “rushed vaccines” will be a real danger in the next 6-12 months.

It’s a selfish viewpoint. But it’s a selfish viewpoint that will cause lots of damage.

You might mean in fairness, the same cohort who refuse to observe any rules. So no gain there. They won't take it either. They are asymptomatic and immune already. Righty O so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Virus is only going to get worse considering the '' Make Believe Level 5 ''

No one has closed, ok maybe a few places. Why isn't it all over the News? The fact no one took any notice ?

Ah no worries, I am just being realistic. Doubt vaccines will eradicate it either. Panacea mainly. For the shareholders again and the economy. You are not convincing me given the past history of fast tracked vaccines either. Sayonara.

For the record I am totally not an anti vac person either. But reality has to come in to it at some stage. Sorry now if that brings your enthusiasm right down.

I don't believe a word of it frankly.

You can not believe a word of it if you want but the trial data so far disagrees. The approval process is a public hearing with the FDA so it'll all be laid out there as well.

Your actually not being realistic at all, the idea of the vaccine isn't to eradicate it, the virus that causes covid will still exist, the vaccine will limit the effects and in trials so far that has proven to happen and that in some vaccines there hasn't been viral replication, in others there has in the nose but the lungs and respiratory system fully protected.

All of that is perfectly acceptable to have a gradual return to normal. You talk about reality, reality in the vaccine landscape is set to change significantly in the next 2 months and not 2025 as you mention.

Again everything I've mentioned is readily available online to read for yourself including data so far. Your entitled to and opinion of course but no data backs it. Doesn't bring my enthusiasm down at all, I've read up on the area and there's some really well informed posters on the vaccine thread so it's a much more hopeful picture than you portray

• Advertisement

You can not believe a word of it if you want but the trial data so far disagrees. The approval process is a public hearing with the FDA so it'll all be laid out there as well.

Your actually not being realistic at all, the idea of the vaccine isn't to eradicate it, the virus that causes covid will still exist, the vaccine will limit the effects and in trials so far that has proven to happen and that in some vaccines there hasn't been viral replication, in others there has in the nose but the lungs and respiratory system fully protected.

All of that is perfectly acceptable to have a gradual return to normal. You talk about reality, reality in the vaccine landscape is set to change significantly in the next 2 months and not 2025 as you mention.

Again everything I've mentioned is readily available online to read for yourself including data so far. Your entitled to and opinion of course but no data backs it. Doesn't bring my enthusiasm down at all, I've read up on the area and there's some really well informed posters on the vaccine thread so it's a much more hopeful picture than you portray

Nothing will convince me until the Vaccine has been used for at least a year on others, not me :eek:

Look I am not going on any vaccine threads right now, minefield for the non researchers in that field like myself. I know my limitations.

But I sincerely hope you are correct and boy will it be a good day then if it helps us all out one way or another. Here's hoping.

It’s a selfish viewpoint. But it’s a selfish viewpoint that will cause lots of damage. You have to take it with a pinch of salt now the people wanting continued lockdowns, do they just want destruction of the normal, of social lives etc?

Yup have to agree with this, thankfully though I think most people have social responsibility (well I hope they do) and that the more people vaccinated the sooner we get back to normal life. Those wanting restrictions to continue when a vaccine is distributed will be the minority. Now that's not to say there won't be restrictions, there will be, a phased relaxation month by month would be my best guess and that could go on until Q3/4 2021 but it'll be a hell of alot better than it is now hopefully.

Yup have to agree with this, thankfully though I think most people have social responsibility (well I hope they do) and that the more people vaccinated the sooner we get back to normal life. Those wanting restrictions to continue when a vaccine is distributed will be the minority. Now that's not to say there won't be restrictions, there will be, a phased relaxation month by month would be my best guess and that could go on until Q3/4 2021 but it'll be a hell of alot better than it is now hopefully.

If the vaccine only limits the effects, does that mean people will still die from it?
    What would happen if it got into a nursing home even if they were vaccinated?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Quite an amount of tripe here tonight regarding vaccines.

The vaccine is being developed faster than any other in history. There is no precedent for such a quickly developed vaccine - because there was never a need for such a quickly developed vaccine in history.

The vaccine has not been rushed; the stages of vaccines development that normally take years have been accelerated without cutting corners. Funding is normally an issue - there is money being thrown at the vaccines here like it’s going out of fashion. All the regulators are on standby waiting to start on the documentation - there isn’t the normal queue that has to be joined.

The vaccine is being developed quickly - but not unsafely. The reason it’s being developed so quickly is that financial and bureaucratic roadblocks are being removed - not safety ones.

If this vaccine is approved - it will be safe. There is too much at stake for it to be approved without ticking the boxes

Put me at the front of the queue for it - speaking as someone in their mid 20s with no underlying issues - not at risk from the virus. But if it’s what it takes to prevent potential spread to those at risk - bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

robbiezero wrote: »
    If the vaccine only limits the effects, does that mean people will still die from it?
    What would happen if it got into a nursing home even if they were vaccinated?

Very valid question.

From what I have read people will still die from Covid with the vaccine.

We just need to wait and see how many deaths social media deems “acceptable”.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

How come the exact same thing that is happening here in terms of cases is happening all over Europe?
    Did they have a lot of county finals in the Autumn too?

Probably because Europe was even more relaxed about things like bars, restaurants and the like than was the case here. Europe is going down the same sort of road now.

Meath had more cases than Dublin on one day this week, and that ties in exactly with the timing of the GAA activities, and the resultant spread was helped by an influx of drinkers from Dublin who came out to Ashbourne when Level 3 closed their normal drinking holes.

One pub had to close as a result of the staff all testing positive, and the landlord and his family also got it, and it also spread to other pubs from that cluster.

The fact that the tracing system doesn't go back far enough to find out who was in which pub when is not helping, we ALL need to cop on to the simple fact that the spread of Covid has been significantly helped by inappropriate activities by GAA clubs, and in some pubs.

We don't like it because it hits a tender nerve at the core of Irish culture. Covid doesn't care about culture or anything else, the sooner we recognise that and deal with the consequences for "social life", the better we will get Covid back under a level of control that we can live with.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Very valid question.

It's not just about day to day deaths.

It's about complications later in life that are not understood at all. This disease attacks vital organs in the body. The long term consequences are unknown.

If people start dropping dead at 50 due to damage from COVID earlier in life this does not help the situation.

Simplifying it to how many people are dying today is not the correct way to look at it and shows a lack of basic understanding and critical knowledge of the issues surrounding this disease.

This is why you can not understand the counter measures that need to be taken. It's because your horizons are not broad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

How effective does a vaccine have to be to get approval?
    And it’s slightly sexist to presume I’m a “lad”

Depends on your definition of 'lad' I guess, Spiderwoman.

Probably because Europe was even more relaxed about things like bars, restaurants and the like than was the case here. Europe is going down the same sort of road now.

Meath had more cases than Dublin on one day this week, and that ties in exactly with the timing of the GAA activities, and the resultant spread was helped by an influx of drinkers from Dublin who came out to Ashbourne when Level 3 closed their normal drinking holes.

One pub had to close as a result of the staff all testing positive, and the landlord and his family also got it, and it also spread to other pubs from that cluster.

The fact that the tracing system doesn't go back far enough to find out who was in which pub when is not helping, we ALL need to cop on to the simple fact that the spread of Covid has been significantly helped by inappropriate activities by GAA clubs, and in some pubs.

We don't like it because it hits a tender nerve at the core of Irish culture. Covid doesn't care about culture or anything else, the sooner we recognise that and deal with the consequences for "social life", the better we will get Covid back under a level of control that we can live with.

How long are we going to deal with the consequences for "social life" for?

Jaysus, the swedes might have got the timing of this wrong. Certain ICUs filling up with covid. The let it R.I.P, chief doctor evil epidemiologist who said "it'll be grand" is cancelling Christmas. WTF. Seems a bit harsh. Glad I don't live there. :eek:

https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1320115909717942273?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

How long are we going to deal with the consequences for "social life" for?

As long as it takes, and if people did what they were asked, rather than their loose interpretation of what they think is appropriate, it would not take as long.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Very valid question.

Ya, that's what I am wondering.

The people that are terrified out of their wits of it now, will a virus that only mitigates the effects of it be enough for them to "come out and play".

The likes of neighbours of me ma that order their shopping online and won't touch it for two days after it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It's about complications later in life that are not understood at all. This disease attacks vital organs in the body. The long term consequences are unknown.

If people start dropping dead at 50 due to damage from COVID earlier in life this does not help the situation.

Simplifying it to how many people are dying today is not the correct way to look at it and shows a lack of basic understanding and critical knowledge of the issues surrounding this disease.

This is why you can not understand the counter measures that need to be taken. It's because your horizons are not broad enough.

Interesting statement in bold.

Backs up your typical posting style

As long as it takes, and if people did what they were asked, rather than their loose interpretation of what they think is appropriate, it would not take as long.

What wouldn't take as long? Getting back to normal?

As soon as we open up to normal or anywhere near it, it will come back again. We are not going to eradicate it.
    You think people are going to stay in "Level 3" for possibly years?
    Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Some death is acceptable in almost every aspect of life otherwise we would never get out of bed. Although most of us will probably die in a bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

You should distinguish between infection and disease before you scare someone needlessly

They are 2 different things as you know

Cristiano Ronaldo right now excercising at his home has the infection, he's not dropping dead at 50 from Covid, like 80% of the people that test positive for Covid with no symptoms

The unlucky 20% that got the disease might drop dead at 50, that's true as they got sick from a novel virus, a big big might though

Not related but interestingly Slovakia started mass testing today

Similar population to us 5.5m

Tested 121,000 people today

4400 positives

Over 3% positivity rate

They test whole nation next weekend

Imagine they get 2% positivity nation wide

110,000 cases a day ;-)

https://dennikn.sk/2104586/minuta-po-minute-testovanie-orava-bardejov-druhy-den/?ref=tit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Had to travel around Munster for work the last three days. One Garda checkpoint, was waved through without speaking to him... Is this a "soft" lockdown now? Scare the fearful into staying at home and leave the ones who don't care run riot?

Jaysus, the swedes might have got the timing of this wrong. Certain ICUs filling up with covid. The let it R.I.P, chief doctor evil epidemiologist who said "it'll be grand" is cancelling Christmas. WTF. Seems a bit harsh. Glad I don't live there. :eek:

https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1320115909717942273?s=20
    I’m so happy I live in Sweden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Thierry12 wrote: »
    You should distinguish between infection and disease before you scare someone needlessly

Cristiano Ronaldo right now excercising at his home has the infection, he's not dropping dead at 50 from Covid, like 80% of the people that test positive for Covid with no symptoms

The unlucky 20% that got the disease might drop dead at 50, that's true as they got sick from a novel virus, a big big might though

4400 positives

Over 3% positivity rate

110,000 cases a day ;-)

https://dennikn.sk/2104586/minuta-po-minute-testovanie-orava-bardejov-druhy-den/?ref=tit

Exactly. There are plenty of footballers playing today who tested positive and two weeks later were back playing at the highest level.

I exclude Pogba from that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

I would second this. It is a good posting, and I urge readers here to take note.

It is certainly an interesting element of this pandemic. While it must be recognised that the vast majority of people by and large accept the limits of their knowledge and so follow the expert advice and regulations, on the periphery, those unable to think for themselves, but also unfortunately unaware of that fact and so do make their own interpretations of matter about which they know little or nothing, a problematic, and leave us with lessons to learn on how do handle such elements in future crises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Had to travel around Munster for work the last three days. One Garda checkpoint, was waved through without speaking to him... Is this a "soft" lockdown now? Scare the fearful into staying at home and leave the ones who don't care run riot?

I have been all around county Galway over the past 3 days and I didn't see one checkpoint. It definitely feels much less 'lockdown' than March/April.
    A lot more cars and a lot more shops open.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Exactly. There are plenty of footballers playing today who tested positive and two weeks later were back playing at the highest level.

I exclude Pogba from that

Correct

Djokovic was in the French Open final against Nadal 2-3 weeks and recently tested positive

No long Covid for him in the most gruelling fitness sport of them all imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

marno21 wrote: »
    If this vaccine is approved - it will be safe. There is too much at stake for it to be approved without ticking the boxes

Put me at the front of the queue for it - speaking as someone in their mid 20s with no underlying issues - not at risk from the virus. But if it’s what it takes to prevent potential spread to those at risk - bring it on.
    I am not sure how you definitively can say that. How can you be so certain?
    When Sweden and Finland issued a vaccine for the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, there was a 4-fold increased risk of narcolepsy in children and adolescents below the age of 20 who were vaccinated, compared to children of the same age that were not vaccinated. That is a startling statistic.

So I would not be inclined to jump to the front of the queue for this new vaccine, and I certainly would not recommend pushing our kids to the front of the queue either.

Do you remember we were told there was no issue with all the flights in from America? Turns out there were some issues........This is how one plane seeded outbreaks in 6 different regions of Ireland. Pretty shocking and at the same time completely predictable. Fair play to some politicians for trying to do something.

Fifty-nine laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 from six of the eight different health regions (Regions A–H) throughout the Republic of Ireland were linked to an international flight into Ireland in summer 2020 (Figure 1). An outbreak case was defined as positive PCR for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) (naso-pharyngeal swab) in either a passenger or a contact of a passenger. Thirteen cases were passengers on the same flight to Ireland, each having transferred via a large international airport, flying into Europe from three different continents (Groups 1 and 2; Group 3 and Group 4)

The outbreak transmission pattern is described in Figure 3. Four outbreak cases were hospitalised and of these, one was admitted to the intensive care unit.

This outbreak demonstrates the potential for spread of SARS-CoV-2 linked to air travel. Onward transmission from 13 passenger cases resulted in a total of 59 cases in six of eight HSE health regions in Ireland, necessitating national oversight of the outbreak. We calculated high attack rates, ranging plausibly from 9.8 % to 17.8% despite low flight occupancy and lack of passenger proximity on-board. On the flight date, 14-day COVID-19 case incidence was lower than 5 per 100,000 in Ireland, compared with 190 at time of writing (14 October 2020) [3], permitting close focus on tracing countrywide.

530531.png

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1283363156648251392?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

who is advocating further lockdowns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Social Democrats are proving to be a great opposition in the Dail. I actually noticed quite a number of Americans walking down Shop Street in Galway today. Definitely tourists too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Do you remember we were told there was no issue with all the flights in from America? Turns out there were some issues........This is how one plane seeded outbreaks in 6 different regions of Ireland. Pretty shocking and at the same time completely predictable. Fair play to some politicians for trying to do something.

530531.png

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1283363156648251392?s=20

Joke

After these 6 weeks are up, those ****ing clowns need to have antigen rapid tests at the airports

They are €5 each and pretty accurate, they'll catch some cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I would second this. It is a good posting, and I urge readers here to take note.

It is certainly an interesting element of this pandemic. While it must be recognised that the vast majority of people by and large accept the limits of their knowledge and so follow the expert advice and regulations, on the periphery, those unable to think for themselves, but also unfortunately unaware of that fact and so do make their own interpretations of matter about which they know little or nothing, a problematic, and leave us with lessons to learn on how do handle such elements in future crises.

Something our high minded but futile approach to the "Lockdown" overlooks, is that there will always be a certain amount of, let's face it stupid and ignorant people, not to mention that the proportion of same is much higher in Ireland than in other Western European states (although that may have changed with the recent influx of "new Europeans") who just can not be trusted to make good decisions or follow instructions that are not strictly enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I have been all around county Galway over the past 3 days and I didn't see one checkpoint. It definitely feels much less 'lockdown' than March/April.
    A lot more cars and a lot more shops open.

I have put up 1,500km since Thursday, I met one checkpoint, a couple questions and GAA banter and left on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Thierry12 wrote: »

4400 positives

Over 3% positivity rate

110,000 cases a day ;-)

I'd love to see where you got the 80% from, in Ireland it's many multiples lower being asymptomatic.

Slovakia, from what I can understand on the link has a 20% positivity rate on normal testing, I'm not sure on their case definition for testing, but I believe serial testing here in meat plants is about 0.6% (roughly 10% of our current national positivity rate, then again I'm surprised they don't have herd immunity in the meat plants at this stage!)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement