Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrome Browser splitting from Chrome OS

Options
  • 19-10-2020 11:19pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place!

I read with interest that the Chrome browser was to be split from Chrome OS, which would provide life-line for Chrome OS devices which have a baked in expiration date, courtesy of Google.
    My own Chromebook, a Pixel 2015 LS, is still an outstanding device and no where near obsolete yet, next year, it will no longer receive updates from Google, rendering it gradually more obsolete and vulnerable as time goes on.

However, Google announced, quietly, a project to introduce a Chrome browser to the format which would continue to be subject to updates, one would assume, indefinitely.

The project is called Lacros, and detailed here:
    https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/master/docs/lacros.md

I'm running the latest beta build on my Chromebook and, with the activation of a flag, I got a greyed out Chrome icon on the bottom of my screen, which didn't respond to clicks.
    However, with this evenings update to 87 the icon turned to canary yellow and, with a click, it opened on a minty fresh Chrome browser window, running at Chrome version 88.

It does give me hope that this lovely device will still be kicking for some years to come, I don't know if this feature has made it as far as non-Google devices either.
    Either way, it makes the Chromebook less of a gamble, especially if you, like me, pick up a seriously good device for a quarter of it's original RRP on ebay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place!

I read with interest that the Chrome browser was to be split from Chrome OS, which would provide life-line for Chrome OS devices which have a baked in expiration date, courtesy of Google.
    My own Chromebook, a Pixel 2015 LS, is still an outstanding device and no where near obsolete yet, next year, it will no longer receive updates from Google, rendering it gradually more obsolete and vulnerable as time goes on.

However, Google announced, quietly, a project to introduce a Chrome browser to the format which would continue to be subject to updates, one would assume, indefinitely.

The project is called Lacros, and detailed here:
    https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/master/docs/lacros.md

I'm running the latest beta build on my Chromebook and, with the activation of a flag, I got a greyed out Chrome icon on the bottom of my screen, which didn't respond to clicks.
    However, with this evenings update to 87 the icon turned to canary yellow and, with a click, it opened on a minty fresh Chrome browser window, running at Chrome version 88.

It does give me hope that this lovely device will still be kicking for some years to come, I don't know if this feature has made it as far as non-Google devices either.
    Either way, it makes the Chromebook less of a gamble, especially if you, like me, pick up a seriously good device for a quarter of it's original RRP on ebay!

support of some devices has gone to 9 years too.

If they want to target schools and enterprise. they need longer support all around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

irishgeo wrote: »
    support of some devices has gone to 9 years too.

If they want to target schools and enterprise. they need longer support all around.

Certainly, the move with the browser is a step in the right direction, the issue might be if the ability of Chrome OS to support Android apps is left behind, as it ceases to recieve updates.
    To use your example, schools that might use Chromebooks might have a requirement from the ebook vendors that the device has security updates that an obsolete Chromebook might not have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bugger, latest update (beta channel) has greyed out the Lacros icon again...

Advertisement