Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 5 Restrictions - Q & A Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

What does the "emergency basis only" means? I guess we as a computer repair shop just stay open as usual?

Outlets providing electrical, information and communications technology and telephone sales, repair and maintenance services for places of residence and businesses, on an emergency basis only

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

Wondering can anyone help me with something I am trying to clarify.

Pensioner with underlying health condition, living with her adult daughter who has a mental disability and her young child. Can they form a social bubble with one other household? I think both the mother and daughter would qualify to do so if living separately but surely they would qualify in this instance where living together?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

the goon wrote: »
    Wondering can anyone help me with something I am trying to clarify.

Pensioner with underlying health condition, living with her adult daughter who has a mental disability and her young child. Can they form a social bubble with one other household? I think both the mother and daughter would qualify to do so if living separately but surely they would qualify in this instance where living together?

Thanks

Everyone would "qualify" if everyone lived separately :)

But yeah, go for it. Follow all the safety precautions such as hand washing, mask wearing and limiting the contact you do have.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

timeToLive wrote: »
    Everyone would "qualify" if everyone lived separately :)

But yeah, go for it. Follow all the safety precautions such as hand washing, mask wearing and limiting the contact you do have.

Thanks. Yes, I suppose I meant that if pensioner was living separate to her daughter and child both would meet the requirements to qualify?The fact that they are living together doesn't make them less vulnerable but not sure if they then qualify to bubble with another household.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I have an appt for late Nov as my Licence expires in late December.
    The NDLS website is not updated yet to reflect Level 5. Tried to contact the phone number on the website but doesn't appear to be working.

Update to website states centres will remain open in level 5 & anyone with prebooked appts can still attend. Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

a local dunnes is aapparently staying open even tho it doesn't have a supermarket department. are they chancing their arm or has essential stores been extended this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Will garages be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Will garages be closed?

No. Repair of mechanically propelled vehicle is an L5 essential service.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twiglet24

New2Dubs wrote: »
    Update to website states centres will remain open in level 5 & anyone with prebooked appts can still attend. Phew!

This has now changed to “essential workers only” and it says anyone else should cancel their appointment. I have an appointment for the end of November so am thinking of waiting to cancel in the hope that at the four week review they will put the level back down. I need to change my UK licence before the end of December, so I’m a bit stressed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 colinf14

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help on this issue. I will be leaving my rental accommodation when my lease is up on November the 6th. In there mean time I am looking for new accommodation. I am actually looking at accommodation that is not in Dublin where I currently am located. Is there any word if it is okay to cross borders for that reason including moving?

Thanks in advance,
    Colin

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

twiglet24 wrote: »
    This has now changed to “essential workers only” and it says anyone else should cancel their appointment. I have an appointment for the end of November so am thinking of waiting to cancel in the hope that at the four week review they will put the level back down. I need to change my UK licence before the end of December, so I’m a bit stressed!

Thanks for letting me know - we’re in the same position. I certainly wouldn’t pass my test after 22 years driving. I’ve also been told there are 10 mandatory lessons in addition to driving test? Please God it doesn’t come to that. I’m sure there are others in similar positions to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

a local dunnes is aapparently staying open even tho it doesn't have a supermarket department. are they chancing their arm or has essential stores been extended this time?

It’s just clothes and homeware? Then they shouldn’t be open. I’m not surprised though. What a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

woodchuck wrote:
    If your closest supermarket is significantly smaller and/or more expensive than the supermarket you're travelling to, I think it should be find to travel further.

For example, if there's an M&S within 5km and a Lidl 10km away, I don't think people will be expected to do their weekly shop in M&S for 6 weeks

I was listening to a sergeant guard on local radio here in Donegal yesterday, he was stating that you will not be allowed to travel outside the 5km limit to a larger supermarket if there is a local shop nearer to you, even if its only more of a smaller type store like a londis or something.

He was saying no to nearly anything that was asked as to what could be deemed as "essential"
    If this guard is anything to go by, they will be very strict on this rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

I was listening to a sergeant guard on local radio here in Donegal yesterday, he was stating that you will not be allowed to travel outside the 5km limit to a larger supermarket if there is a local shop nearer to you, even if its only more of a smaller type store like a londis or something.

He was saying no to nearly anything that was asked as to what could be deemed as "essential"

His relatives probably own a corner shop and hes trying to drum up more business! :pac:

I wouldn't be too worried about that, if you meet one that gives you grief about travelling to a further supermarket, just say that you tried the small local one first and there were quite a few food items you require that they did not stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I have a question, maybe someone can help? I've bought bicycles for myself and the rest of my family. I'll have to collect them, first one next Monday. But the bicycle shop is about 8km from my home. Is click and collect allowed over a further distance? The bicycle shop isn't open, except for click and collect. So I don't see my journey as high risk. But reading online I see encouragement by the government to shop with local shops and encouragement of click & collect. But I don't see anything about 5km exemption for click and collect?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

colinf14 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help on this issue. I will be leaving my rental accommodation when my lease is up on November the 6th. In there mean time I am looking for new accommodation. I am actually looking at accommodation that is not in Dublin where I currently am located. Is there any word if it is okay to cross borders for that reason including moving?

Thanks in advance,
    Colin
    Yes

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/442/made/en/pdf

Restrictions of movement of applicable persons in relation to travel from
    county of residence
    5. (1) Subject to Regulation 13 and paragraph (2), an applicable person
    shall not travel from his or her county of residence to another county or to a
    state other than the State without reasonable excuse.
    (2) Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable
    excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse for travelling
    includes travelling in order to -

(p) move to another residence where, in all the circumstances of the
    case, such movement is reasonably necessary,

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

I run a small non essential shop. We were hoping to do online sales and click and collect or doorstep deliveries. But on the reading of the rules, I was wondering if:
    1) Only people within 5km of the shop could do click and collect as its not classed as an essential thing to travel for?

2) Are we allowed to deliver to places further away? Our furthest regular customers would be around 1.5- 2 hours away. All within the same county though.

I don't want our delivery drivers to be slapped with a fine (or myself for that matter, as I sometimes deliver too). And I don't want our customers to be fined for coming to collect their items either!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

He sounds lovely :rolleyes: I'd say they're just broadcasting the hard line to make people think twice about their journey. I can't see them forcing people to do their weekly shop in the small corner shop/spar/londis if there's a large tesco/lidl/aldi a couple of extra kilometers away. They weren't even that strict during the first lockdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Question on walking with a neighbour - can we grab a coffee and walk within 5km and sit down on a park bench and eat a sandwich? Seems clear you can't have people in your house or meet indoors or in your back garden. Can i walk with one neighbour today, a different one tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

This is horse**** - we have been doing our shopping in local tesco which is probably 7km away from house (since march, haven't stood in an aldi or lidl as they are about 15k away)... we have a supervalue closer thats much smaller and more expensive... the super value doesn't have half the range the tesco has.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Question on walking with a neighbour - can we grab a coffee and walk within 5km and sit down on a park bench and eat a sandwich? Seems clear you can't have people in your house or meet indoors or in your back garden. Can i walk with one neighbour today, a different one tomorrow?

Yes. This is separate to 'bubble' concept where you pair up with 1 specific other household.

It is possible to meet with 1 other household in an outdoor setting which is not a home or garden, such as a park, including for exercise.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#social-and-family-gatherings

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

Has there been anything said about individual watersports? Was hoping to do some kayaking as I can do it within 5km of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

This is horse**** - we have been doing our shopping in local tesco which is probably 7km away from house (since march, haven't stood in an aldi or lidl as they are about 15k away)... we have a supervalue closer thats much smaller and more expensive... the super value doesn't have half the range the tesco has.

Keep shopping at Tesco. Food shopping is an essential reason to travel outside the 5km. That guard is talking out his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

That's fine once the Guards are happy to pay back the difference of doing a full shop in Centra instead of Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

He was saying no to nearly anything that was asked as to what could be deemed as "essential" If this guard is anything to go by, they will be very strict on this rule.

conor2469 wrote:
    His relatives probably own a corner shop and hes trying to drum up more business!

I wouldn't be too worried about that, if you meet one that gives you grief about travelling to a further supermarket, just say that you tried the small local one first and there were quite a few food items you require that they did not stock.

Same radio station today had a government minister on contradicting most of the stuff that guard said yesterday, saying you can travel further to larger shops, and contradicting many other things as well.

None of them really have a clue...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

twiglet24 wrote: »
    Yes, I saw that in a press release by the RSA. This is completely absurd - so if you are not an essential worker you can't renew your driving licence? Given how car dependent we are in this country, is this some sort of ploy to keep people in their home? This sound like more shaming tactics, what's the legal basis for it I wonder

Pay no attention to that nonsense and go ahead with your appointment.

And once you get your licence renewed, be sure to do a tour of the country "visiting graves" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hey all, Quick question.

Can someone designated as a "close contact" and as a result required to restrict movements, still exercise within the 5KM limit as long as staying more than 2m from any people they may encounter?

TIA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I don't give a sh1t I'm going fishing down the local lake, I'm not bothering anyone.
    And I'll also go to the Aldi in the nearest town,how can anyone buy healthy food in the corner shop , 60 Euro local, probably 28 in Aldi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

redbel05 wrote: »
    I run a small non essential shop. We were hoping to do online sales and click and collect or doorstep deliveries. But on the reading of the rules, I was wondering if:
    1) Only people within 5km of the shop could do click and collect as its not classed as an essential thing to travel for?

2) Are we allowed to deliver to places further away? Our furthest regular customers would be around 1.5- 2 hours away. All within the same county though.

I don't want our delivery drivers to be slapped with a fine (or myself for that matter, as I sometimes deliver too). And I don't want our customers to be fined for coming to collect their items either!

Sadly If you are not essential retail you shouldn't open or be doing deliveries.

Advertisement