Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 5 Restrictions - Q & A Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Restrict Movements - For 14 days since last being in contact with the positive test. Can exercise outdoors following guidelines

If you get symptoms then you self isolate

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/self-isolating-and-restricting-movements-differences.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Sadly If you are not essential retail you shouldn't open or be doing deliveries.
    As an aside, does the no-home-visit "ban" include courier deliveries? If that is the case then things are seriously screwed up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

PommieBast wrote: »
    As an aside, does the no-home-visit "ban" include courier deliveries? If that is the case then things are seriously screwed up.

No, couriers are doing contactless deliveries so seem to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Yes, I saw that in a press release by the RSA. This is completely absurd - so if you are not an essential worker you can't renew your driving licence? Given how car dependent we are in this country, is this some sort of ploy to keep people in their home? This sound like more shaming tactics, what's the legal basis for it I wonder

Pay no attention to that nonsense and go ahead with your appointment.

And once you get your licence renewed, be sure to do a tour of the country "visiting graves" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the laugh

I called NDLS to try & establish if 31 Dec deadline will be extended for those with UK licences. 35 people ahead of me in the queue. I’ll be attending my appt as planned & pleading ignorance. The website instructions are vague & don’t state essential workers must provide proof of their role. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Sadly If you are not essential retail you shouldn't open or be doing deliveries.

I don't think that's correct. Here's a list of 100 non-essential retail shops doing deliveries and click and collect:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/one-hundred-irish-retailers-for-all-your-online-christmas-shopping-1.4386351

Click and collect is probably limited to the 5km radius though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

woodchuck wrote: »
    I don't think that's correct. Here's a list of 100 non-essential retail shops doing deliveries and click and collect:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/one-hundred-irish-retailers-for-all-your-online-christmas-shopping-1.4386351

Click and collect is probably limited to the 5km radius though.

I rang one of local TDs office and after a chat that does seem to be the case. I have 3 new bicycles I need to collect from a bicycle shop that is 8km from me & technically over the border line as well. They told me try and get the bicycle shop to deliver (they don't do deliveries) or hire a courier like DPD to collect the bicycles and deliver them to my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I know it's ok to go over the 5 km limit for an NCT but can I go 7 km for a pre NCT service? Would it be considered essential like the NCT itself?

I rang one of local TDs office and after a chat that does seem to be the case. I have 3 new bicycles I need to collect from a bicycle shop that is 8km from me & technically over the border line as well. They told me try and get the bicycle shop to deliver (they don't do deliveries) or hire a courier like DPD to collect the bicycles and deliver them to my house.

Personally for 8km given the fines are not enforceable yet, i'd just go quickly and get them and say you are food shopping if you get asked.

Obviously do contact less collection of the bikes when you get there.

Is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Personally for 8km given the fines are not enforceable yet, i'd just go quickly and get them and say you are food shopping if you get asked.

Obviously do contact less collection of the bikes when you get there.

Is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission....

Well actually my mother-in-law lives very close to the bicycle shop and she lives alone by herself. So she is in our social bubble. I was thinking we'll just combine a visit to her (and helping her do her shopping) with a visit to the bicycle shop. The bicycle shop is beside an Aldi anyway and the bicycle shop is only open for collections as well. So should be safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 IliveinCork

Usually on a Saturday my Parents mind my infant son for a few hours and we then collect him afterwards in the evening.

Is this type of thing no longer an option with the new lockdown?

(Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Would have thought only under social bubble rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

I would have thought no.

Not to mention, where exactly are you going to go for that period of time? (Not forgetting alone time is important)

Your parents should be left alone. I know many grand[agents miss their children and grandchildren during this period of lockdown but if grandparents are elderly ( over 60) I would suggest no.

bazermc wrote: »
    Would have thought only under social bubble rules.

What are those rules exactly? They used the term "cocooning" to justify them taking him to do their house.
    NSAman wrote: »
    I would have thought no.

Not to mention, where exactly are you going to go for that period of time? (Not forgetting alone time is important)

Your parents should be left alone. I know many grand[agents miss their children and grandchildren during this period of lockdown but if grandparents are elderly ( over 60) I would suggest no.

Generally I stay at my house once he's been collected and only leave it to retrieve my son and bring him back.

Just looking for clarification so I know what's allowed.

Technically speaking, I think only if you're a single parent with children under 18.

"Support bubbles can be formed by people in the following categories: people who live alone; one-parent families with children under 18; people who share parenting or custody arrangements; people living with a partner who has dementia and needs full-time care; people who live alone and have the support of a carer"

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/covid-19-level-5-support-bubbles-everything-you-need-to-know-1.4386022?mode=amp

Logically speaking, there's no way they'd 'allow' people all around the country to drop their kids off at their grandparents house during a level 5 lockdown.

Well actually my mother-in-law lives very close to the bicycle shop and she lives alone by herself. So she is in our social bubble. I was thinking we'll just combine a visit to her (and helping her do her shopping) with a visit to the bicycle shop. The bicycle shop is beside an Aldi anyway and the bicycle shop is only open for collections as well. So should be safe enough.

Absolutely - say that, doing a food shop and just get the bike while out. You'll be grand.

Technically speaking, I think only if you're a single parent with children under 18.

"Support bubbles can be formed by people in the following categories: people who live alone; one-parent families with children under 18; people who share parenting or custody arrangements; people living with a partner who has dementia and needs full-time care; people who live alone and have the support of a carer"

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/covid-19-level-5-support-bubbles-everything-you-need-to-know-1.4386022?mode=amp

None of that would apply to us as there's 2 parents in the picture I suppose.
    Logically speaking, there's no way they'd 'allow' people all around the country to drop their kids off at their grandparents house during a level 5 lockdown.

Maybe if it was within county lines then? It's inconvenient for me but there's not much can be done about it by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

No they are not allowed. Its only allowed where you are being helped with childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Maybe if it was within county lines then? It's inconvenient for me but there's not much can be done about it by the looks of things.

Are you a lone parent, a lone carer or a vulnerable person living alone? If not any of those things then county lines don't apply. Thete is a household visit ban. Please don't exploit and abuse the bubble system if it doesn't apply to you . If everyone does that then those of us who need it could end up losing it.

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    No they are not allowed. Its only allowed where you are being helped with childcare.

Well technically they would be helping me with childcare if Babysitting counts. It sounds like a two parent family can't have their kids out with the grandparents currently.
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    Are you a lone parent, a lone carer or a vulnerable person living alone? If not any of those things then county lines don't apply. Thete is a household visit ban. Please don't exploit and abuse the bubble system if it doesn't apply to you . If everyone does that then those of us who need it could end up losing it.

I've been obeying the rules since March, I don't plan on ignoring them now. It'd be nice if other people felt the same way in order to not prolong the whole thing.
    There's been failures at government level too to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

I have seen reports that Tesco are to close the clothes sections off in store anybody know if this is true and if Dunnes operate the same policy as need to buy some items tomorrow but don’t want to travel if they will both have sections closed.

Well technically they would be helping me with childcare if Babysitting counts. It sounds like a two parent family can't have their kids out with the grandparents currently.

I've been obeying the rules since March, I don't plan on ignoring them now. It'd be nice if other people felt the same way in order to not prolong the whole thing.
    There's been failures at government level too to be fair.

No, a two parent family can't have their kids with grandparents currently and there has been a household visit ban in place for a fortnight now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Nope, no technically about it. Its not allowed. I agree people aren't following rules.

No, a two parent family can't have their kids with grandparents currently and there has been a household visit ban in place for a fortnight now.

Good to know, thanks.
    Nope, no technically about it. Its not allowed. I agree people aren't following rules.

Looks like I'll be stuck with them on Saturdays for now then. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Usually on a Saturday my Parents mind my infant son for a few hours and we then collect him afterwards in the evening.

Is this type of thing no longer an option with the new lockdown?

(Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place btw)

Ignore all the terrible advise above.

Yes, it's perfectly allowed... There's a specific exemption for the provision of childcare in the guidance for the household visit ban.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#social-and-family-gatherings

In your home or garden

No visitors to home or garden, with the exception of visits for essential purposes (for example: family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble).

It's also called out as an exemption to the 5km limit.

But this _is_ childcare...

Dogg Munde wrote: »
    Ignore all the terrible advise above.

Yes, it's perfectly allowed... There's a specific exemption for the provision of childcare in the guidance for the household visit ban.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#social-and-family-gatherings

In your home or garden

No visitors to home or garden, with the exception of visits for essential purposes (for example: family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble).

But they are not providing essential care to a child. It's not an emergency situation where neither parent is available to provide the essential care.

Good to know, thanks.

Looks like I'll be stuck with them on Saturdays for now then. :D

Could be worse, you could be a carer for a person with dementia since March without a single break. Get a bit of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

But they are not providing essential care to a child. It's not an emergency situation where neither parent is available to provide the essential care.

its childcare, its essential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Exactly.

This scenario sounds like the parents enjoyed the break from the child (and why wouldn't they!) and the grandparents enjoyed having their grandchild. This is not catered for during the current restrictions.

Advertisement