Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 5 Restrictions - Q & A Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Some people need to be told. They need direct instructions, we see this in all walks of life in work, at home etc... This is entirely evident when it was left to people to take personal responsibility.

People need to avoid contact with any elderly people. Look after them distantly unless they need direct care. Avoid using them for childcare if at all possible.
    Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I’d ask the dog for her opinion first tbh- and it would be as useful and incisive as these people

Hopefully the dog will give you advice similar to mine. Although kids don't seem to be superspreaders I'd keep them clear of elderly or vulnerable. I'm not here to argue or pass judgement. Do what you think is best while considering the stats and evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 IliveinCork

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    "stuck with" your kids?

I like to use dramatic terminology sometimes for humors sake, I don't resent my children as you seem to be implying.
    I think you had an agenda before starting this thread, as obviously what you want to hear is that its okay, when you know damn well, its not.

On your own head be it, if your parents contract Covid due to your actions.

I just hope if that does happen, you're prepared to take care of them yourself then, and not expect someone else, like a nurse or doctor on the front line, to do it for you, putting them at risk and adding a further strain on our hospital services due to your selfish need to not be "stuck" with your kids.

Most people want their opinion/biases confirmed by outside sources. I honestly just want clarity as to the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

People keep giving the OP a hard time about the official guidelines but think about it, the schools are open, children according to Irish officials (unlike other countries officials) are not a significant transmission risk. The official rules aren't based on just evidence they are based on various governmental priorities, I am sure some of the posters getting annoyed are sending their kids to school despite other jurisdictions on this island officially saying school closures have a significant effect on R numbers.

OP bring your parents to your kids school, Covid transmission isn't officially an big problem in schools so they will be officially safe.

Unsarcastic I would say it depends if both both you and your kids have been isolated for the last week or two.

I don't want to get dragged off at a tangent but to answer your post, from a societal aspect, there is enormous value versus risk in children attending school, there is zero societal value to these grandparents giving the OP a break from his/her kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I don't want to get dragged off at a tangent but to answer your post, from a societal aspect, there is enormous value versus risk in children attending school, there is zero societal value to these grandparents giving the OP a break from his/her kids.

Kids having an extended break of day three weeks to a month wouldn't have a huge educational cost apart from maybe leaving cert year.
    The argument is about reducing the viral spread, according to the current Irish official thinking schools aren't a risk, therefore these kids seeing their grandparents isn't a risk, if it is a risk then multi-generational households should be on a online learning plan but the idea of online learning was not considered by the government. The argument for schools being while the majority of society locks down is because they act as child care.

Basically either school kids aren't a risk factor of transmission or they are , whichever answer is chosen the official rules don't make sense in terms of reducing viral spread,

Most people want their opinion/biases confirmed by outside sources. I honestly just want clarity as to the rules.

And they have been clarified for you, but you are looking for loopholes.

Which means, you really just want someone to tell you its okay, when you know its not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Same radio station today had a government minister on contradicting most of the stuff that guard said yesterday, saying you can travel further to larger shops, and contradicting many other things as well.

None of them really have a clue...

Who was the minister on?

Missed it.

I'd like an answer to this question.
    I like a weekly shop in Aldi but it's about 20km away.

Not sure whether to just knock them on head and get ripped off in Supervalu until lockdown is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Sardonicat wrote: »
    But they are not providing essential care to a child. It's not an emergency situation where neither parent is available to provide the essential care.

Can you please point me towards where it says in the guidelines that said childcare exemption is for essential childcare only?

Mrsmum wrote: »

I can see where you're coming from and your point has some merit. I'd still like to know what the official stance is on my situation though.
    And they have been clarified for you, but you are looking for loopholes.

Which means, you really just want someone to tell you its okay, when you know its not.

It seems to me that I've been told I can't by some people and I can by others.

Where in the thread do you believe that it was clarified for me?

Dogg Munde wrote: »
    Can you please point me towards where it says in the guidelines that said childcare exemption is for essential childcare only?
    Dogg Munde wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#social-and-family-gatherings

In your home or garden

No visitors to home or garden, with the exception of visits for essential purposes (for example: family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble).

To quote your own post, only properly highlighted, this time.

A afternoon off for the parents is not an "essential purpose".

I can see where you're coming from and your point has some merit. I'd still like to know what the official stance is on my situation though.

It seems to me that I've been told I can't by some people and I can by others.

Where in the thread do you believe that it was clarified for me?

I'm not in the humour for playing with trolls tonight.

Your question was answered, and the information is clearly on the gov.ie website.

Do your parents a favour and find an alternative babysitter if you're so desperate for an afternoon away from your kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who was the minister on?

Missed it.

Not sure whether to just knock them on head and get ripped off in Supervalu until lockdown is over.

Deputy Martin Heydon, or something like that, junior minister from Kildare. Completely different answers to what the guard was saying the day before.

Well the way I see it is the rules seem to be open to interpretation, so the worst that will probably happen is they will turn you around and send you back. I would think anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Planning your shopping

Supermarkets have been designated “high-risk” sites of infection during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Irish Global Health Network (IGHN) has advised that you should reduce the number of your shopping trips to minimise your risk of exposure to the virus. You can travel further than 5 km from home to do food shopping as part of Level 5 restrictions.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/shopping_during_covid19.html#

The above is from citizens information (whom I would consider an official and reliable source) dated 22 October 2020, so I think its fairly clear that you can travel beyond 5 Km to buy food.

I'm not in the humour for playing with trolls tonight.

Your question was answered, and the information is clearly on the gov.ie website.

Do your parents a favour and find an alternative babysitter if you're so desperate for an afternoon away from your kids

I could just as easily claim you're trolling me.

There's different ways to interpret that quote from gov.ie so forgive me for seeking assurance as to what's permitted.
    Nice touch at the end there insinuating that I'm "desperate" to get away from my kids, the truth is that their grandparents want to see them.

I'll stop responding to you here as I'm not in the humour for playing with trolls tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,251 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There seems to be more different shops staying open this time around

I hope we get numbers down so 6 weeks only of level 6

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Site updated now. Anyone with appointments all OK.

https://www.ndls.ie/
    NDLS centres nationwide will remain open and all those with booked appointments can continue to attend.
    I only discovered an update on their website this morning. Only people who are essential workers can attend even with appointments made months ago. I've cancelled mine as requested which was for today. Over 70's will be contacted to post their forms.

Edit: https://www.ndls.ie/news/166-update-on-ndls-services-affected-by-move-to-level-5-covid19-restrictions.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who was the minister on?

Missed it.

Would you get a grip and seriously man up. I mean that in the best possible way. If you want to shop in Aldi then shop in Aldi. If you’re stopped by the guards just say you are going grocery shopping, they really won’t give a fluck. On the other hand the food in supervalu May be more expensive but it’s Far superior quality to anything in Aldi, you have a dilemma.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

People like you are the reason why case numbers are back at over 1000 a day.

Case numbers aren't really important, btw. It's only the hospitalizations/ICU and deaths that really matter. Those numbers remain low.

From the HSE website:
    "Every year, around the world, flu causes between 3 and 5 million cases of severe disease and up to 646, 000 deaths".

The numbers are similar. So why an international pandemic and lockdowns for this, but not for the flu?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There seems to be more different shops staying open this time around

I hope we get numbers down so 6 weeks only of level 6
    Wait... there are 6 levels now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

People like you are the reason why case numbers are back at over 1000 a day.

The reason there’s cases is because there is an endemic respiratory virus that can not be stopped no matter how many idiotic “restrictions” virtue signallers like yourself dream up- I suggest you deal with it because there’s no stopping it- you’ll get onto the same page eventually. If not you can always self isolate yourself indefinitely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Case numbers aren't really important, btw. It's only the hospitalizations/ICU and deaths that really matter. Those numbers remain low.

From the HSE website:
    "Every year, around the world, flu causes between 3 and 5 million cases of severe disease and up to 646, 000 deaths".

The numbers are similar. So why an international pandemic and lockdowns for this, but not for the flu?

Those numbers are after lockdowns and restrictions, without which the numbers would be way higher...

As to the Flu we do have annual vaccinations for it.

Once we have vaccines for Covid-19 I would expect it to be treated similar to the flu (but if its not mutating then we will probably just wipe it out).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

From the HSE website:

The problem is the hospitalisations have say a two week delay compared to infection.

From the HSE website:

There is a vaccine available for the flu. I get it every year myself.

Of course case numbers are important. Every case adds to the risk of transmission to others, some of whom are more vulnerable than others.

Look what happens when one case carries the virus into a nursing home.

I really don't see how you can dismiss case numbers as unimportant. You're basically dismissing community tranmission.

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    The reason there’s cases is because there is an endemic respiratory virus that can not be stopped no matter how many idiotic “restrictions” virtue signallers like yourself dream up- I suggest you deal with it because there’s no stopping it- you’ll get onto the same page eventually. If not you can always self isolate yourself indefinitely

The reason theres cases is because of people with the same attitude as you.

Telling someone to "deal with it" or "self-isolate indefinitely" is a total cop out, and a lazy answer.

Isolation is not an option for the many at risk people who still have to leave their homes to earn a living, shop for groceries (some areas have no deliveries) visit the pharmacy, letc, etc, etc. They have no choice but to interact in the community and they deserve to have the level of risk to them when doing so minimised.

In other words, they deserve to be protected from the kind of ****wits who do not care about minimising their contacts and preventing transmissions, and show no care or consideration for the impact Covid19 could have on their lives and health of other people , once they themselves are not inconvenienced.

And as previously stated, the irony of it is, those who are ignoring the restrictions and making no attempt to minimise their contacts, wear masks, etc, ultimately the ones who will be responsible if the numbers don't go down, and the restrictions are extended again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

New2Dubs wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know - we’re in the same position. I certainly wouldn’t pass my test after 22 years driving. I’ve also been told there are 10 mandatory lessons in addition to driving test? Please God it doesn’t come to that. I’m sure there are others in similar positions to ourselves.

Same boat here, Uk licence,first i managed to get a appointment for 13th Nov at NDLS, then because i have i truck licence i need a medical, then i try to book that only to be told you need a eye test first before medical, phone Specsavers next available appointment Dec13th! then on here just read you need to be a essential worker ,didn't know that when i booked , but still working ,installing and repairing warehouse racking which i believe comes under essential , this is a Nightmare all to done before 31st Dec, if not ill be signing and out of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Youd wonder about some people, ...

Its allowed, no ones going to be stopping anyone dropping kids to the grandparents to look after them for an afternoon...

No one is going to stop you going further than 5km. Or from having visitors to stay at your house. There will be no enforcement of any of the restrictions other than the opening of businesses.

You'd have to wonder about some people who have no social solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

KaneToad wrote: »
    No one is going to stop you going further than 5km. Or from having visitors to stay at your house. There will be no enforcement of any of the restrictions other than the opening of businesses.

Huh? The gardai are out checking... and will be fining people

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Itsallsocrazy

We have compassionate grounds and social bubbles.

But nothing is giving me an answer.

When you are in a long term relationship but living more than 5k or in different counties its very challenging not to travel. Especially if they're other issues eg. Mental health etc.

Are you travelling? Can we travel?

I'd love to hear from you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You will obey all restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Advertisement