Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 5 Restrictions - Q & A Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Stay safe. Stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Anyone in Dublin. What’s enforcement like? Need to travel there next week

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

Hi

Was wondering can relatives be picked up from Dublin airport under Level 5. I live in co Donegal. My wife arrives next week. Can I drive down to pick her up or does she have take public transport,ie bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

So my car is due its annual service. I have brought it back every year to garage where bought. I also have to think of NCT around this time of year, so like garage to give it going over prior to same. I think garages are still doing repairs as 'essential service' but what of annual service? It is not really essential but I like to have done this time of year ahead of winter and when they are less busy. Also the location is about 7 kms away and 'just' over a county boundary. Is the 'crossing into a neighbouring county' still on forbidden list?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

lipso wrote: »
    Hi

Was wondering can relatives be picked up from Dublin airport under Level 5. I live in co Donegal. My wife arrives next week. Can I drive down to pick her up or does she have take public transport,ie bus?

Depends.. do you play GAA? :pac:

Seriously though.. no one can tell you because no one knows. It depends on whoever stops you because they have the power. It could be considered compassionate grounds I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hi

You can go and collect her. Its recommended public transport be left free for essential workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Hi

Yes, she can hardly be left homeless at the airport.
    How else would she get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think for your wife and for you it's the best option in terms of isolating her from others seeing as she will be coming home to you either way. She's at risk of picking up the virus on public transport. Perhaps bring proof of her flight with you if you are stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

You can leave the 5km zone for "vital family reasons". I would consider it vital to collect a stranded spouse during a worsening pandemic.

I personally would have flight details ready just for brownie points with the garda in case you meet an awkward one but you probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

60 quid for a flight from Dublin to donegal if they're still going twice a day. Any quicker/cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Garlinge wrote: »
    So my car is due its annual service. I have brought it back every year to garage where bought. I also have to think of NCT around this time of year, so like garage to give it going over prior to same. I think garages are still doing repairs as 'essential service' but what of annual service? It is not really essential but I like to have done this time of year ahead of winter and when they are less busy. Also the location is about 7 kms away and 'just' over a county boundary. Is the 'crossing into a neighbouring county' still on forbidden list?

Back in lockdown in June my Opel needed a service ,main dealer, rang them expecting emergency repairs only , they said no problem bring it down, so give them a ring, you would be unlucky to get problems with just 7klms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

It's a funny one cause - "where are you going" - "to pick up my wife from Dublin airport" from just about anywhere else in the country.... "ok then, bye" kek, thx. Later sucka.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Printout a copy of her flight booking. Just show it to any Guard at a checkpoint and explain that you are picking her up so she can return home and then you will both self-isolate for 14 days. You should have no problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Are they carrying Mary Jane?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Weepsie wrote: »
    60 quid for a flight from Dublin to donegal if they're still going twice a day. Any quicker/cheaper

I would love to take this flight some time. Apparently Donegal is a beautiful airport to fly into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

I noted my nearest car wash was closed today. Are these also shut as part of level 5? Or maybe they just on a day off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

TP_CM wrote: »
    I would love to take this flight some time. Apparently Donegal is a beautiful airport to fly into.

It’s the erection section of the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

touts wrote: »
    Printout a copy of her flight booking. Just show it to any Guard at a checkpoint and explain that you are picking her up so she can return home and then you will both self-isolate for 14 days. You should have no problems.

Please don't do this- this is unjustified pandering to the ridiculousness of the whole thing. Like in East Germany being asked "where are your papers"? If asked just tell them what you're doing. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I wouldn't even think twice about it. No guard is going to turn up back if you explain you are just doing an airport pickup for a family member.

People are taking this 5km thing way way too seriously.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Garlinge wrote: »

My garage did a pick up service during the last lockdown (kept them busy during the slump and was great for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I overheard a young person visiting a friend I.e.calling up to his house and talking outside while awaiting a covid test. Do posters think this is acceptable. They were social distanced, but do not know if social distanced elsewhere or visiting elsewhere but must assume they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That's not child care or baby sitting as you seem to describe it. You just have the child visiting the grandparent to give yourself a break. That's not covered. If it was we'd have our grandchildren over all the time.

And the child a break. I know my kids love a change of scenery, different toys etc.

You can go on as many nature walks as you want but being colder and colder. Not all are in Crèche or schools

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Hi

Depends how much you miss her :D

Doubt you'll have any troubles picking her up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Hi!
    We can't seem to find any official guidelines for private/ grinds schools. Most of our classes are already online. However we have one Leaving Cert Grind in the premises, once a week, for 6 students from 5 different schools, 2 meters distance, all masked etc. Should this class go online also?

I know the TEFL schools have closed, but Secondary Schools have not, so it is confusing for my boss. I believe we have to go online. Who knows? The Department of Health hasn't answered yet.
    Thank you.
    user_online.pngreport.gif

road_high wrote: »
    Please don't do this- this is unjustified pandering to the ridiculousness of the whole thing. Like in East Germany being asked "where are your papers"? If asked just tell them what you're doing. Job done.

You clearly have not even the slightest idea of what life was like under the Stazi. This isn't pandering. It is just the polite thing to do to get through the checkpoint quickly and not delay people in the queue behind you. It is as far from "Papers Please" SS/Stazi like tactics as you can get.

Hi!
    We can't seem to find any official guidelines for private/ grinds schools. Most of our classes are already online. However we have one Leaving Cert Grind in the premises, once a week, for 6 students from 5 different schools, 2 meters distance, all masked etc. Should this class go online also?

I know the TEFL schools have closed, but Secondary Schools have not, so it is confusing for my boss. I believe we have to go online. Who knows? The Department of Health hasn't answered yet.
    Thank you.
    user_online.pngreport.gif

I would say if you can go online go online. My son has grinds and they have moved online to zoom. They are working very well for him and the teacher. If they are science labs or something that can't go online then it is harder. I would say this far from the leaving cert then they aren't essential as could be made up by additional classes post lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

I would say if you can go online go online. My son has grinds and they have moved online to zoom. They are working very well for him and the teacher.

We use Zoom already for all our other classes, Leaving Cert included, it works very well. My boss is frightened some parents might ask for refund of remaining classes, as we opened this class specifically for those who wanted classes in the premises, though I was always conscious we might have to move it online at some stage.

• Advertisement

I would say if you can go online go online. My son has grinds and they have moved online to zoom. They are working very well for him and the teacher.

We use Zoom already for all our other classes, Leaving Cert included, it works very well. My boss is frightened some parents might ask for refund of remaining classes, as we opened this class specifically for those who wanted classes in the premises, though I was always conscious we might have to move it online at some stage.

Ask the parents what they want to do. What they want may have changed.

Advertisement