Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corned beef

Options
  • 20-10-2020 8:54am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've got a 1.13kg lump of corned beef to cook. I've cooked many things in my time but never this as my husband's not a great fan.

However I love the stuff and am determined to convert him by making fabulous corned beef sandwiches with good bread, home made pickles and mustard.

So, how should I cook it?

I have an instant pot so can slow cook, or pressure cook, or can boil on the hob. I'm looking for fork tender meat. Possibly by lunch time! TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Brisket or silverside?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

coylemj wrote: »
    Brisket or silverside?

It doesn't say.

The packaging is actually silver on one side. Don't know if that's relevant. :D

The packaging is actually silver on one side. Don't know if that's relevant. :D

No, the packaging is irrelevant. Unless you asked for brisket, it's probably silverside. Which is a very lean cut.

There's any number of recipes on the web, just google 'silverside corned beef'. Do that first, then add 'one pot' to the search and see what you get.

Good sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭1percent

My recipie is
    Place the joint in a sink of cold water to draw out some of the excess brine
    Set the oven as high as it will go

Rough chop 2 carrots, 2med onion, 2 sticks celery and throw them in the bottom of a deep roasting tray lined with parchment.
    Add 2 bay leaves, a sprig of rosemary and a sprig of thyme to the tray
    Add Half dozen peppercorns and 2 star anise and a few juniper berries if you have them also.

Pat the joint dry with kitchen towel and Place on the veg. Into the oven she goes.

After 10 min drop the temp to 150C and throw a good splash of red wine over it.
    Cook for 30min a kg plus an extra 30min.

When finished Allow to rest for 20min and make a sauce with the juices in the bottom of the tin

Bon appetite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

1percent wrote: »

After 10 min drop the temp to 150C and throw a good splash of red wine over it.
    Cook for 30min a kg plus an extra 30min.
    /quote]

You sure those times/temod are correct. Seems very low.
    I reckon that would give a med rare joint - would that not be very tough for such a joint?

Corned beef is usually cooked low and slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

1percent wrote: »
    My recipie is
    Place the joint in a sink of cold water to draw out some of the excess brine

I cooked a corned brisket for the first time last week. I didn't know about this step.

Cooked it beautifully. Included the red wine like you suggest. Roasted some parsnip & carrot, and decided to toss them into the roasting tin for the last 10 minutes to pick up the flavour. Made a gravy from the juices and wine in the pan.

It looked perfect. I was so proud plating it up for the family.

Well, it was almost inedible because of the amount of salt! I had no idea it would be that salty. Beef, veg and gravy. There was no getting away from it!

So, next time I'll definitely be leaving it sit in cold water first!

I cooked a corned brisket for the first time last week. I didn't know about this step.

Cooked it beautifully. Included the red wine like you suggest. Roasted some parsnip & carrot, and decided to toss them into the roasting tin for the last 10 minutes to pick up the flavour. Made a gravy from the juices and wine in the pan.

Well, it was almost inedible because of the amount of salt! I had no idea it would be that salty. Beef, veg and gravy. There was no getting away from it!

I think traditionally it is boiled rather than roasted. Roasting does tend to leave it rather salty.

I've never heard of corned beef being roasted before. Roasting, rather than boiling will give a far saltier result.

Not corned beef, but I’ve recently cooked a pot roast in my new slow cooker. Really delighted with the results. Made grave from the juices but couldn’t eat it, it was that salty! Couldn’t believe it for a fresh cut of beef.

• Advertisement

Not corned beef, but I’ve recently cooked a pot roast in my new slow cooker. Really delighted with the results. Made grave from the juices but couldn’t eat it, it was that salty! Couldn’t believe it for a fresh cut of beef.

Something odd going on here.
    No way fresh beef would make gravy inedibly salty!
    Salt must have come from somewhere else or it was salted beef.

Something odd going on here.
    No way fresh beef would make gravy inedibly salty!
    Salt must have come from somewhere else or it was salted beef.

It was fresh beef. A cut I often use. The meat itself was delicious and tender.

It was fresh beef. A cut I often use. The meat itself was delicious and tender.

Something else in the gravy?
    Salt must have come from somewhere!

Something else in the gravy?
    Salt must have come from somewhere!

I used the same gravy mix. I’m going to try it again next week and see how it goes! Watch this space!

This thread inspired me to get some corned beef.
    Got it from O Mahony's, English Market, Cork.
    Silverside, nice layer of fat amount 700g.
    I checked with butcher for cooking advice as it's a cut I've rarely, if ever, cooked.

No soak but I refreshed the water after it came to a boil. With the fresh water, I added carrot, onion, celery, leek, bayleaf and pepper corns and simmered for 1 hour, 20 minutes. Left it rest for 15 minutes.

Served with mash, sweetheart cabbage and parsley sauce.

The corned beef was outrageously good. Tender, subtly salted and really beefy! Gorgeous.
    I never cared for this dinner as a kid but this was so, so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Some of the posts here seem to be confusing corned beef with.... well, beef .... of the roasted variety.

Corned beef is a specific cut treated in a specific way, before cooking - IE it is cured in salt in it's raw cut state.

Corned beef is traditionally boiled - sometimes after being steeped first, to remove some of the salt used in the curing process.

Spiced beef is a variant of the corned beef principle where the joint is steeped in a mixture of spices and then boiled. It is also very delicious.

Roasting an actual corned beef cut (salt cured) would not be it's intended use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

This thread inspired me to get some corned beef.
    Got it from O Mahony's, English Market, Cork.
    Silverside, nice layer of fat amount 700g.
    I checked with butcher for cooking advice as it's a cut I've rarely, if ever, cooked.

No soak but I refreshed the water after it came to a boil. With the fresh water, I added carrot, onion, celery, leek, bayleaf and pepper corns and simmered for 1 hour, 20 minutes. Left it rest for 15 minutes.

Served with mash, sweetheart cabbage and parsley sauce.

The corned beef was outrageously good. Tender, subtly salted and really beefy! Gorgeous.
    I never cared for this dinner as a kid but this was so, so good.

That's my idea of a good dinner .. ,I like parsley sauce ,but I could probably take it or leave it

The big thing though is the advice from the butcher on how salty it is .. ,you didn't need to soak it just blanch it .. if it had been very salty you' d have needed to soak it ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    That's my idea of a good dinner .. ,I like parsley sauce ,but I could probably take it or leave it

The big thing though is the advice from the butcher on how salty it is .. ,you didn't need to soak it just blanch it .. if it had been very salty you' d have needed to soak it ..

Modern curing methods aren't salty like they were in the past. If boiling, I never soak bacon or ham, either.

The trick to making parsley sauce tasty is to infuse the milk with grated carrot, onion and celery for a couple of hours - really makes a difference - and freshly chopped flat leaf parsley and lots of it!

I think traditionally it is boiled rather than roasted. Roasting does tend to leave it rather salty.
    I've never heard of corned beef being roasted before. Roasting, rather than boiling will give a far saltier result.
    Ger Roe wrote: »
    Roasting an actual corned beef cut (salt cured) would not be it's intended use.

+1 the reason it's a bad idea is because when you roast meat, the oven temperature is well above the boiling point of water so the meat gives off steam, the overall weight of the joint will drop and with salted beef, that concentrates the salt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

So now I am tempted to find a small piece of corned beef, because it is super tasty.

A follow on question for the leftovers - is the corned beef in sandwiches just a terrine or what's the story? I love the crumbly stuff especially, with the flecks of jelly falling off the corners...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We always get tail end of corned beef from Bresnans in the English Market in Cork every Christmas...absolutely delicious but bloody expensive! Worth it though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

In my experience, corned beef should be cooked like ham: very slowly in a pot of well-flavoured water. This lets it become tender.

Traditionally, when cooked it would be drained and pressed, producing that fine grain for the great sandwiches.

(Just a board with a weight on top, for a few hours, will do it.)

You can also serve hot: put quartered cabbage into the pot with it for the last twenty minutes of cooking time.

Drain very well, and serve the meat as a joint to carve, with the roughly chopped cabbage, and boiled or mashed potatoes. Butter. And mustard!

Tree wrote: »
    A follow on question for the leftovers - is the corned beef in sandwiches just a terrine or what's the story? I love the crumbly stuff especially, with the flecks of jelly falling off the corners...

Bits of jelly (aspic) means you were probably eating tinned corned beef.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

See I loved tinned or sliced corned beef from a deli. but it's getting rarer :(

You can buy Denny sliced corned beef in the supermarkets. Or Supervalu and Tesco sell it in a 340g tin, the brand is 'Princes' ...

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-meat-princes-corned-beef-340-grams-/p-1033034000
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?notepad=beef&N=4294953537

coylemj wrote: »
    You can buy Denny sliced corned beef in the supermarkets. Or Supervalu and Tesco sell it in a 340g tin, the brand is 'Princes' ...

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-meat-princes-corned-beef-340-grams-/p-1033034000
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?notepad=beef&N=4294953537

Princes makes delicious corned beef hash. Chop and mix with fried onion and mashed potato. Bake in hot oven for 30 to 40 minutes and serve with fried potatoes. Mmmmmm

That shlte has no place in this thread:eek::D

I know a lot of people like the tinned stuff (my dad loved it) but I could never bring myself to like it - it really bears little relation to the joints of corned beef we know - I could never understand why they bore the same name!

Only a few years ago, tried what was deemed good quality sliced corned beef with my dad - I still couldn't get to like it!

Put me on to your dad's supplier!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Influenced by this thread, corned beef is currently simmering, and cabbage I about to be added to the pot for the end of cooking. With potatoes steamed in their skin and parsley sauce. Really looking forward to this dinner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Princes makes delicious corned beef hash. Chop and mix with fried onion and mashed potato. Bake in hot oven for 30 to 40 minutes and serve with fried potatoes. Mmmmmm

Loved that stuff in the diners etc in americas, always thought it was fried though but never made it myself so onions are fried but then you oven bake?

Advertisement