Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corned beef

Options
2»

Comments

Loved that stuff in the diners etc in americas, always thought it was fried though but never made it myself so onions are fried but then you oven bake?

Yes.

An elderly man was looking for sliced corn beef in Aldi yesterday , it took me ages but I eventually found it for him, I might pick a pack up for myself in future as I haven't eaten it in years, loads of brown sauce, butter and fresh bread. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

My butcher still does a good sliced corned beef but when he's shut this is not the worst, https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=295745525 a little dry but makes a nice sandwich. I just wish I could still get Hazlet where I live.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Lidl do a nice sliced corned beef for sandwiches - it isn't always available though. Thick slices which are not dry. I love it in a bap with mayo, red onion and lettuce.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I keep wanting to make my own. Stephen Jackson's recipe looks as good as any, but it's getting the caul is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cee_jay wrote: »
    Lidl do a nice sliced corned beef for sandwiches - it isn't always available though. Thick slices which are not dry. I love it in a bap with mayo, red onion and lettuce.

They also do a 340g tin - brand is Newgate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Since when has sliced corned beef been so hard to get and pricey!

Used to be cheap deli meat when i was a kid. Even the canned stuff is pricey now. Used to love it on the old Cork white sliced bread with butter. They don't make white bread like that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Since when has sliced corned beef been so hard to get and pricey!

Used to be cheap deli meat when i was a kid. Even the canned stuff is pricey now. Used to love it on the old Cork white sliced bread with butter. They don't make white bread like that anymore.
    What's "the old Cork white sliced bread"?

I loved and still miss Donnelly's bread - I don't think anyone makes an old school, white, burnt top pan anywhere near as good as it - they all seem too light and fluffy now with no substance.

Still, I don't recall a particular Cork style of bread.

What's "the old Cork white sliced bread"?

I loved and still miss Donnelly's bread - I don't think anyone makes an old school, white, burnt top pan anywhere near as good as it - they all seem too light and fluffy now with no substance.

Still, I don't recall a particular Cork style of bread.

I can't remember the brand, could have been Donnelly's. We used get it delivered scliced and still warm. Late 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can't remember the brand, could have been Donnelly's. We used get it delivered scliced and still warm. Late 70s.

Donnelley's were on Shandon Street - closed in the early 2000s I think.
    I grew up in the South side and it was our staple bread.
    It wasn't it's own particular style of bread but I've yet to taste a white pan as good as it. Pana do a nice white burnt top pan but I'v found their bread can be a bit inconsistent (or at least they went through a variable patch).

• Advertisement

Donnelley's were on Shandon Street - closed in the early 2000s I think.
    I grew up in the South side and it was our staple bread.
    It wasn't it's own particular style of bread but I've yet to taste a white pan as good as it. Pana do a nice white burnt top pan but I'v found their bread can be a bit inconsistent (or at least they went through a variable patch).

I remember that shop too. Very bare bones!

Seems like good bread disappeared and came back as "artisan" and double the price.

The place on Daunt Square was where my dad went. McCarthy's maybe?

Didn't see the corned beef slices in Lidl tonight.
    Is the tinned stuff worth buying?

From my memory, it's much softer, more like a paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

I remember that shop too. Very bare bones!

Seems like good bread disappeared and came back as "artisan" and double the price.

The place on Daunt Square was where my dad went. McCarthy's maybe?

Didn't see the corned beef slices in Lidl tonight.
    Is the tinned stuff worth buying?

From my memory, it's much softer, more like a paste.

Agree with you on the bread, nothing like the old burnt crust batch bread and dipped in beef stew or any sandwich made with it. Nearly all butchers still do corned beef up my way. (Midlands)

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I think we had sunshine(?) bread. Red with yellow packaging. Great on a corned beef sandwich. (80's/90's)

Advertisement