Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting season impact

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭kunekunesika

What organisation sent it??
    Brian Downey
    inspector????

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

What organisation sent it??
    Brian Downey
    inspector????

He is a detective inspector in Dublin from what I was told.i was sent it as you see it.i would also like to know

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

There is nothing on the npws or the nargc websites about this so I don't think this is true.
    If someone is out hunting with his dog within the 5k limit what law is he breaking ?
    He is not taking part in any organised sport, he is game shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Running and cycling are a sport....should all the joggers & cyclists have to stop?...are they breaking Covid-19 restrictions?

What about pheasant shooting during Level 5?

Garda website has the same message -

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/what-about-pheasant-shooting-during-level-5-.html

Pheasant shooting season begins on Sunday 1st November. This normally involves shooting club members travelling to pheasant shoots around the country, frequently in groups, and is regarded as sport shooting.

Under the current regulations (SI 448), sporting events must be organised under the structure/ licence of a national governing body, funded by Sport Ireland. As such, sport shooting is prohibited in any other circumstances.

Recreational hunting does not fall under any of the exemptions allowed for exercise or sporting events. It has also been clarified that recreational hunting does not come under any permissible exemptions for travel outside of the home.

Shooting of vermin (rats/foxes/crows) is permissible as an essential support service to the farming and agriculture profession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

J.R. wrote: »

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/what-about-pheasant-shooting-during-level-5-.html

Pheasant shooting season begins on Sunday 1st November. This normally involves shooting club members travelling to pheasant shoots around the country, frequently in groups, and is regarded as sport shooting.

Under the current regulations (SI 448), sporting events must be organised under the structure/ licence of a national governing body, funded by Sport Ireland. As such, sport shooting is prohibited in any other circumstances.

Recreational hunting does not fall under any of the exemptions allowed for exercise or sporting events. It has also been clarified that recreational hunting does not come under any permissible exemptions for travel outside of the home.

Shooting of vermin (rats/foxes/crows) is permissible as an essential support service to the farming and agriculture profession.

News of this broke this morning and I know the NARGC have been working on this issue all day.

I think this is absolutely crazy from the powers that be..:mad:

You can exercise but not hunt?

I think a lot of lads will be exercising their dog with their gun on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Good to see this on the Garda Website, as it confirms that you are allowed to travel to shoot vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

TDs e-mailed

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

The idea that you can walk your dogs in a field within 5km of your home but if you bring a gun there is suddenly a risk of spreading Covid is entirely irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

There is nothing in the above statement saying you cannot go Pheasant shooting on your own and within 5km from home. It only states that your not allowed to go to an organised sporting event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Everyone has a mate that forgets his shells, bird bag or boots..I am shooting with him.. he is anything but organised:D

clivej wrote: »
    There is nothing in the above statement saying you cannot go Pheasant shooting on your own and within 5km from home. It only states that your not allowed to go to an organised sporting event.

It states - "Recreational hunting does not fall under any of the exemptions allowed for exercise or sporting events".

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I don't agree with the gardaí's interpretation of si 448/2020

The regulation states that exercise, within a 5 kilometre radius of the person’s place of residence is a reasonable excuse to leave your home.

I cannot see how walking around a field with guns and dogs is not exercise. It requires a good level of fitness and exertion.

The gardaí's interpretation of the law is not the law. Only the courts can decide this.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

berettaman wrote: »
    News of this broke this morning and I know the NARGC have been working on this issue all day.

I think this is absolutely crazy from the powers that be..:mad:

You can exercise but not hunt?

I think a lot of lads will be exercising their dog with their gun on Sunday?

Exactly, it makes no sense once again.
    Lads wont be hunting then they will be walking their dog and gun within their 5km :D
    Or hunting vermin. Either way il be out with my dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

Below is a statement from The Sports Coalition. I thought they went away after almost destroying target shooting, but no, they re-appear whenever they can do maximum damage to our sports:

COVID-19 and the PHEASANT SHOOTING SEASON

Information

Please note that Pheasant shooting due to begin on 1st of November is prohibited under the Covid19 Regulations for the period of time that Level 5 restrictions are in force. Any person found pheasant shooting during Covid19 will be dealt with as a breach of the Regulations. Under the current regulations (S.I. 448 of 2020) sporting events must be organised under the structure/licence of a national governing body, funded by Sport Ireland. Pheasant shooting is sport shooting and is therefore prohibited. Shooting of vermin (rats, foxes etc) is permissible as an essential service to farming/agriculture.
    Brian Downey,
    Inspector

The above is an information advice issued by An Garda Siochana in advance of the opening of the pheasant shooting season next Sunday. From comments already circulating on social media from individuals and some shooting organisations it would appear that this measure is considered unreasonable and interpretations are being offered which are seriously flawed giving rise to individual clubs and sports shooters being mislead into believing that pheasant shooting will be in compliance with COVID-19 Level 5 as they would be alone and within 5km of home.

This advice is seriously flawed and should not be followed for the following reasons:

1. COVIC-19 Level 5 restrictions are supported by law i.e. Statutory Instrument 448 of 2020 making any breach an offence.
    2. Game shooting is a sport and has always been argued as such by the various national bodies and clubs and pheasant shooting is therefore, a sporting event, whether alone or with others
    3. Sporting events under the terms of the Statutory Instrument may only take place if organised under a licence or structure of a national governing sporting body which enjoys funding from the government-backed Sports Ireland. To our knowledge no game hunting body enjoys such funding from Sports Ireland.
    4. It has already been argued by bodies and individuals on social media that pheasant shooting will comply if it takes place within the 5km distance from home limit, and if the game shooter is alone. This is untrue and would be a serious mistake to make. The sports exemption applies to professional sports for the purposes of training only. Training is not a sports event.
    5. The consequences of an individual found breaching the regulation is potentially very serious for that individual, apart at all from the consequences which might be inflicted on other innocent people. It’s clear that breaches will be dealt with by prosecutions and offenders should expect loss of licence and firearm if convicted. We expect the courts to act very strict in the current climate.

The Sports Coalition, in common with a number of the estate driven shoots, welcomes and supports this move as it is a reasonable measure to protect not only club members, but also landowners and the wider community at the height of the worst public health crisis in a hundred years. It is but a tiny inconvenience in return for protecting our communities and landowners from whom we have enjoyed decades of welcome, cooperation and hospitality.

29th October, 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Whats the situation with deer stalking and wildfowling then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

NARGC are meeting at the moment, so it will be interesting to hear what their take on this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yeah...I can see a bunch of Gardai running across a mucky field in hot pursuit of the local lad who has just shot a brace of pheasants while out "exercising". As for SCOVI...Who really cares what the phone box members numbers group has to say.It does not represent the majority of shooters in anyway or shape or form. A "tiny inconvience", to its members of their clubs???Thy must have cash to burn.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Its official, no shooting until Dec 1st at least.

Seems to be taken very seriously as there is talk of €500 fine and possible seizure of firearm if caught breaching Covid 19 regs.

Vermin shooting is Ok once you can prove that you are "helping" a landowner, so you will probably need written permission.
    Not sure about deer, but it would have to be for crop protection/vermin control and within 5km of your base.
    Wildfowl ???

NARGC seeking to speak to the Minister in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Since there’s no Tour de France stage or elite one day Classic race planned for Ireland next Sunday does that mean that all idiots in lycra on racing cycles are banned from the road as well, regardless if they’re respecting a 5km limit or not ?

Why did the virtual Dublin Marathon go ahead ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Why on earth was this posted on the Garda website. Did I miss something did the publish similar statements for other sporting activities?

Emphasis mine

NARGC STATEMENT – 30.10.’20
    The NARGC has been made aware of the following Press Release on the Garda Website –
    “Pheasant shooting season begins on Sunday 1st November. This normally involves shooting club members travelling to pheasant shoots around the country, frequently in groups, and is regarded as sport shooting.
    Shooting of vermin (rats/foxes/crows) is permissible as an essential support service to the farming and agriculture profession.”
    The NARGC is of the view that An Garda Síochána is erring in its interpretation of the activity of pheasant shooting as engaged in by our Members nationally. The Association is also of the view that the activity of rough pheasant shooting, as distinct from driven pheasant shooting, does not fall within the meaning of S.I. 448 of 2020, published by the Minister for Health, Mr. Stephen Donnelly, T.D. on October 21st 2020.
    The Association obviously does not wish anyone to act in breach of State law or public safety but notwithstanding, it is seeking legal advice on the situation overall and further clarification will issue shortly and before Sunday next, November 1st.
    Dan Curley
    National Chairman
    NARGC

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Thank fuk they have missed woodcock ,snipe and duck hunting...:eek:;)
    This is banning PHEASANT shooting only going by this edict.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thank fuk they have missed woodcock ,snipe and duck hunting...:eek:;)
    This is banning PHEASANT shooting only going by this edict.:D

I thought the guards forgot about it too until I read all recreational hunting is prohibited. What a load of bull crap. It's some irritated guard manipulated his understanding of the law and twisted it to mould around our activities. In my eyes it's an activity not a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Given the NARGC’s track record on teasing out legal issues with An Garda Siochana, for which I generally have the utmost respect, I would be quietly confident we’ll be out shooting on Sunday within 5k from our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Given the NARGC’s track record on teasing out legal issues with An Garda Siochana, for which I generally have the utmost respect, I would be quietly confident we’ll be out shooting on Sunday within 5k from our house.

I'll hold you to that statement😂, on a serious note though who came up with this ****.

Hunter456 wrote: »
    I'll hold you to that statement😂, on a serious note though who came up with this ****.

Looks like the guards did unless there was somebody behind the scenes pulling the strings. Only thing I find funny is a certain group came out with a statement very early about all this. This group hasn't been seen or heard from in a long while and then they arrive on with a statement slating other organisations for their interpretation of the new covid s.i.

Looks like the guards did unless there was somebody behind the scenes pulling the strings. Only thing I find funny is a certain group came out with a statement very early about all this. This group hasn't been seen or heard from in a long while and then they arrive on with a statement slating other organisations for their interpretation of the new covid s.i.

Also thought the timing of their statement very odd

Vegeta wrote: »
    Also thought the timing of their statement very odd

Maybe I'm over analysing it but surely 2 of us can't be wrong 😋

• Advertisement

To be honest when I first read it I thought it was a wind up because the logic is so flawed and it is not very well drafted. It is a brazen example of false equivalence.

It's akin to saying that because walking is a sport, going to collect the post is also a sport and therefore it's not allowed. :confused:

Advertisement