Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wood Floor Restoration

• 20-10-2020 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Recently purchased house with wood floor downstairs, we have had painting and plastering work done and they seem to have done more damage to the floors, paint marks that are impossible to remove, scratches etc.

Got quotes of 1700 for wood floor restoration, sanding and varnished.

Cant afford this so looking for DIY solution.

Any tips to improve the look of the wood floors? photos attached..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

If you're handy with diy you should manage this yourself. You can rent out drum sander and edge sander from tool hire.
    Plenty of vids on youtube how to start with drum sander. Can be a bit tricky at the beginning but can be tamed :)

I did myself (with no prior experience) living room, hallway and sun room (almost 60 sq m). I've manage to sand a little bit too deep in a few spots but also managed to smooth it out. All I spent was cost of rental, sand paper and varnish. Can't remember exactly but including varnish everything was in a range of 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

youtube is great, i might just get guidance from the shop i get the sander from on the type of sanding paper to use, dont want to go too severe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Be wary of the price the rental place will want for the sandpaper - like tile stores with grout and adhesive, it'll be half the price in a builder's providers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

is the key to use a light sanding paper to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

In general when it comes to wood sanding you start with coarse and work your way up to fine grit. If I was doing floors again and had to go down to bare wood I'd probably go 40-80-120grit. 40grit is very aggressive and removes a lot of material quickly so be careful with it. I guess you could start with 60 grit. It might take a bit longer to sand the floor though. But take your time doing this first time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement