Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you rejoin your club for next year

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,049 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Got the renewal for my membership the other day. I'm on an U-35 membership and its €700 per year. The club are giving me €50 bar voucher and two free green fees.

Full members (€1000 membership) are getting €100 bar voucher and four free green fees.

It's a nice gesture from the club and is appreciated but I'm not sure if I'll rejoin. I didn't play once last year with work, exams and lockdown and it's going to be the exact same this year I'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Got the renewal for my membership the other day. I'm on an U-35 membership and its €700 per year. The club are giving me €50 bar voucher and two free green fees.

Full members (€1000 membership) are getting €100 bar voucher and four free green fees.

It's a nice gesture from the club and is appreciated but I'm not sure if I'll rejoin. I didn't play once last year with work, exams and lockdown and it's going to be the exact same this year I'd guess.

I’m considering not rejoining my club either. I was considering it last year anyway as there is a club closer to me which would suit me better.

In light of the current situation and what is likely to be limitations around comps/guests, I’m not sure that I can justify paying given my long term intentions.

Similar gesture in my place which is appreciated but if you’re not committed for the foreseeable future then it’s not really something I’d feel guilty or anything about

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

I signed up in May 2020 to a club doing a special deal of 799 (24-29 age bracket) until Dec 21. Great value I paid €320 in May 2020 with the remainder to be paid by end of March. To be honest with restrictions last year + added county restrictions and living outside the particular county the course is in I only played a handful of times. I really can't justify paying the remainder for this year (already two months of the year gone) and generally December is a write off weather wise anyway. I think the club are offering 4 free green fees if paid up by 21st March which is not a bad offer but I still don't think its enough given the year we have ahead.

Sharing the below, I was a member of a golf course in Melbourne in 2019, still have friends playing there, they were in lockdown too albeit not as long as us. Here is an example of what clubs there are doing for their members, giving them options. Are there any examples of this here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

I haven't heard anything about subscriptions from my club. I guess they were hoping to have golf back open by March.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

Is the membership year based on the calendar year (or for example March to March, November to November etc.) in your clubs? This may also be a factor if people rejoin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Paid my subs the other day

throwing-money-away.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Tommo 76 wrote: »
    Is the membership year based on the calendar year (or for example March to March, November to November etc.) in your clubs? This may also be a factor if people rejoin.
    Our Club, the Blessed nine,is Feb 28th to March 1st so we are in the best of a bad position as effectively missing Jan and Feb is last seasons U BOAT. Looking back on the weekens so far this year i reckon there would only have been 2 or 3 where you might have enjoyed a few holes. Today would have been a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Today the weather is horrendous and has been for the majority of weekends in January & February. Courses will be saturated tomorrow when the weather breaks. In truth we’ve missed very little, of course this will change in March when temperatures pick up with longer daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Today the weather is horrendous and has been for the majority of weekends in January & February. Courses will be saturated tomorrow when the weather breaks. In truth we’ve missed very little, of course this will change in March when temperatures pick up with longer daylight hours.

ill play in any weather so in truth i ive missed every day the course would potentially have been open weatherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Soundshkin

I was joined to my club as a junior for a number of years and paid a joining fee and subs this year as am now at the age of full membership. Paid the joining fee in one go instead of staggering over a number of years so membership was a lump sum this year but absolutely still worth it in my mind even if we do have to wait a bit longer to get out and play, not many feelings beat getting out for 9 holes after work in good weather.

If I didn't stay as a member I think I'd spend the year kicking myself at all the times I could be out on the course as I wouldn't pay a green fee to play 9 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

First time poster (long time lurker) so hello to all.

Been a golf club member for last 30 years or so but had to leave my club last September. Just wasn't getting the use of the membership with kids and work. Covid situation obviously didn't help.

My golf had got progressively worse for lack of practice and sapped the enjoyment from it to be honest. Gonna try to join somewhere closer after restrictions and jump into more lessons etc. When you're a 'lifer' with golf it always drags you back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Not certain at this moment in time. I do need an outlet and Golf used to be it but since beginning of 2020. The Covid Pandemic caused havoc and even when the game came back out of lockdown I didn't get to play that often. Working all year (which I count myself lucky to be in that position) I only played 10 times which being honest finally killed my enthusiasm for the game. No sign of a return yet and membership runs Jan-Dec..... Haven't received my letter yet ??? but my membership which is €1050 is normally commenced paying in Jan.
    Still very busy working away and with shift work my weekends are already cut by 50%. Really hard to justify paying as I really do need to see value in the return. I paid in full for 2020 but 2021 is making me question the point of handing over even more cash for very little prospect of a return. Even with the benefit of having received the Vaccine I still can't get out until the restrictions are relaxed.

Frustrated to hell with the whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,808 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Duplicate posting

Post once only please

Advertisement