Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you rejoin your club for next year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

Not every course is in a position where they can do that. Some have probably gone through their reserves and might be borrowing to keep the show on the road. And if they were struggling before all of this, then reducing their take from societies and the like is just accepting a slow death.

I'm sure we'd all love our courses to keep the timesheet for members. While at the same time expecting other courses to offer reduced gui rates so that we can play their courses for affordable prices. But it's more complicated than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Whether or not clubs should feel obliged to give something back or not may be irrelevant. If the majority of members leave the course closes. For some that idea may be enough to stay but most won't be pressured into staying for various reasons. They have to be enticed to stay somehow.

I presume Ollieboy and a few others are on a committee of some sort as he passionately defends the reasons for hard decisions and explains the hardships courses are going through. Unfortunately many club members don't have access to this kind of information. Alot of clubs seem to have pulled the blanket over their heads until this blows over.

While they may not be in a situation to/ or feel the need to offer some kind of refund/deal they could be keeping members informed what is happenign and why and what their plan is for when everything opens up. A bi weekly short pdate with a picture or two of the course to keep people interested and invested. Reach out to the members to get a feel of what way their membership is leaning. Ask for input. Anything to keep the lines of communication and interaction open.

Don't just sit back and wait and see how it falls after or you could be just as easily closing the doors saying you never thought it would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭hurikane

The truth is, there will be people who simply can’t afford it. It’d be great if clubs could do something for these people to keep them on board, it’d be impossible to police though. You would have the mercenaries who bounce from club to club looking for the best deal trying to take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Whether or not clubs should feel obliged to give something back or not may be irrelevant. If the majority of members leave the course closes. For some that idea may be enough to stay but most won't be pressured into staying for various reasons. They have to be enticed to stay somehow.

I presume Ollieboy and a few others are on a committee of some sort as he passionately defends the reasons for hard decisions and explains the hardships courses are going through. Unfortunately many club members don't have access to this kind of information. Alot of clubs seem to have pulled the blanket over their heads until this blows over.

While they may not be in a situation to/ or feel the need to offer some kind of refund/deal they could be keeping members informed what is happenign and why and what their plan is for when everything opens up. A bi weekly short pdate with a picture or two of the course to keep people interested and invested. Reach out to the members to get a feel of what way their membership is leaning. Ask for input. Anything to keep the lines of communication and interaction open.

Don't just sit back and wait and see how it falls after or you could be just as easily closing the doors saying you never thought it would happen.

This is my 4th year as Chairman and I was Treasurer for 3 years before that, so yes your right.

I share all the data with our members.

I gave them reports this year showing exactly how many rounds each category played compared to last year. I also shared the course utilization reports by day by category.

Each member can access our system and see exactly how many rounds they played by week, month or year. They can see where they spend there funds by area and stats by hole.

I was heavily involved in our club bail a few years ago because of my financial background and I’m very aware how these can go wrong quickly with poor management in a club.

I know our members got value in 2020 and will get value this year. Most that complain played more golf last year but didn’t realise it.

We arranged a gift for everyone that signs up this year, free green fees and an appreciation day which will be massive. That’s the best way for our club to thank our members without cutting back on expenditure.

But this year we will spend 175k on new machinery, 85k on new practice facilities, about 25k on new sheds, 15k on a new swing room and about 15k to 50k extra on course maintenance.

None of this is possible without members but members that don’t show loyalty will miss out as we are full and have a massive waiting list.

My advice to anyone, rejoin because I think demand will be massive this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Ollieboy wrote: »
    This is my 4th year as Chairman and I was Treasurer for 3 years before that, so yes your right.

I share all the data with our members.

I gave them reports this year showing exactly how many rounds each category played compared to last year. I also shared the course utilization reports by day by category.

Each member can access our system and see exactly how many rounds they played by week, month or year. They can see where they spend there funds by area and stats by hole.

I was heavily involved in our club bail a few years ago because of my financial background and I’m very aware how these can go wrong quickly with poor management in a club.

I know our members got value in 2020 and will get value this year. Most that complain played more golf last year but didn’t realise it.

We arranged a gift for everyone that signs up this year, free green fees and an appreciation day which will be massive. That’s the best way for our club to thank our members without cutting back on expenditure.

But this year we will spend 175k on new machinery, 85k on new practice facilities, about 25k on new sheds, 15k on a new swing room and about 15k to 50k extra on course maintenance.

None of this is possible without members but members that don’t show loyalty will miss out as we are full and have a massive waiting list.

My advice to anyone, rejoin because I think demand will be massive this year.

I've been on management committees and know the ins and out of the running of a golf club, I will pay my membership again this year but I do think clubs are not going to hold on to members if they charge the full amount. Its a balance but even a months reduction in fees might help persuade members to stay on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I've been on management committees and know the ins and out of the running of a golf club, I will pay my membership again this year but I do think clubs are not going to hold on to members if they charge the full amount. Its a balance but even a months reduction in fees might help persuade members to stay on.

But where do you expect this money to come from? Clubs can’t have zero cost for a month, they don’t want to go into debt and most don’t have bank facilities that enable this and members expect and want a top quality product.

If clubs gave a rebate, they will have to increase subs the following year and that’s even worse because subs never come back down.

A lot of clubs I spoke to put it to the members at the AGMs ie. Reduction in subs for 2021 and every single members club voted against it. They understand it will endanger the club and not the responsible thing to do and will mean higher subs the year after to regain that income.

What we done gives members over €100 back for last year on average but will cost the club about 25 to 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What is your club doing to combat this when the club reopens in Spring and demand is high.

My club has decided to cut down on society bookings for the forseeable future, Increase the subs to account for the lost society revenue and free up the course for the members

It was all just members anyway back then, even members just within 5k due to our suburban location, so really not that much more they can do.

It will stay at 2 x 12 hole courses so that helps a lot, but after than it depends on what the restrictions are around 2/3/4 balls and the mandatory gaps between groups.

They did ask people to not book more than 3 times a week as we had lots of people playing 7+ times a week during the summer which wasnt great.

dan_ep82 wrote: »

During the last lockdown we had regular vlogs from the course showing what the lads were working on, was pretty good to keep people involved and keep the excitement up, was tough to watch as the course dried out and became firmer but still closed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Will I rejoin? Most likely. Will I consider the value that my membership provides? Absolutely.

I don’t believe my club are providing a product that provides value for money. Is in average to below average condition on too regular basis while being ‘soft’ for 6 months of the year.

Can see courses in the locality that are more expensive providing a superior product which may justify moving however.

We have no offer to acknowledge the restrictions and the lack of playing time

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Made the decision not to rejoin my club this year, for a number of different reasons. To be honest I think my local club has been an absolute disaster zone since the beginning of the pandemic. I work in a retail setting, and obviously have been very busy so a round of golf on a day off is a real treat. Unfortunately the club has been constantly booked out with the same names at the same times daily, the limit on golf has been ignored by most members unfortunately. Basically this resulted in lots of members being unable to get a tee time but was still ignored by the club as an issue. No reduction in membership fees or even a token gesture has been made during the covid crisis. No restaurant in the club for well over a year due to the previous catering leaving, so I had to ask myself is the membership fee providing any value for money? The answer is a definite no, so made the decision a lot easier to leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

I'm taking a Leave of Absence from my club for 12 months. I understand that my GUI handicap gets suspended for this period.

Is there anything stopping me from joining somewhere else as a distance member to maintain this

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

frink wrote: »
    I'm taking a Leave of Absence from my club for 12 months. I understand that my GUI handicap gets suspended for this period.

Is there anything stopping me from joining somewhere else as a distance member to maintain this

Nothing at all, Just check our some clubs options

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭hurikane

You may have to rejoin as a new member in your current club? Not sure how it works now with Golf Ireland, will your current club have to issue a handicap cert? Or do they transfer you on Golf Ireland? If it’s either of those, they will be aware and if there’s a waiting list for membership, you may be at back of queue next year?

hurikane wrote: »
    You may have to rejoin as a new member in your current club? Not sure how it works now with Golf Ireland, will your current club have to issue a handicap cert? Or do they transfer you on Golf Ireland? If it’s either of those, they will be aware and if there’s a waiting list for membership, you may be at back of queue next year?

Thanks for letting me know. I will look into this with Golf Ireland and the club and come back to this thread for anyone else in the same position.

Without sounding arrogant, I am in the right age range that the club I am member of badly needs so hoping that I don't get dropped to the back of the queue!

In any event, it is 50/50 whether I rejoin next year as I am relocating temporarily, with a view to making it permanent and I don't know where I would live in Dublin if it doesn't work out.

If its a leave of absence then I assume you are still a member, just no playing rights and no sub?
    In work terms, you would keep your seniority when you return?

If not, then you are also at risk of there being a joining fee when you do return...

My membership reverts to a Pavilion membership for the year. I'll be re-admitted the following year if there is available space in my category of membership at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Ollieboy wrote: »
    But where do you expect this money to come from? Clubs can’t have zero cost for a month, they don’t want to go into debt and most don’t have bank facilities that enable this and members expect and want a top quality product.

If clubs gave a rebate, they will have to increase subs the following year and that’s even worse because subs never come back down.

A lot of clubs I spoke to put it to the members at the AGMs ie. Reduction in subs for 2021 and every single members club voted against it. They understand it will endanger the club and not the responsible thing to do and will mean higher subs the year after to regain that income.

What we done gives members over €100 back for last year on average but will cost the club about 25 to 30.

My club gave some pretty decent benefits this year given the situation over the last year. Apparently a lot of members were complaining that they didn't get a full rebate for the time(s) the course was closed. The argument being that a golf club should be the same as something like a gym (i.e. if closed, membership should be suspended and roll over).

I'm scratching my head at that one to be honest. The cost of running a golf club is a lot more than a gym if the facilities aren't being used by members. To me, the complaints smack of opportunism. What we were offered (an additional ~10% off the fee as well as other benefits) I thought was very reasonable. Sure, it doesn't "compensate" me for all the time lost last year but it's a global pandemic. This isn't a zero sum game where the club benefits if I lose - we're all losing. So, for me, everyone has to suck it up a bit and take a bit of a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Just at the end of last week I got a letter from the club with some numbers and if you pay in full on time €50 in bar credit.

I'd like to think most people would forefit a discount etc if it meant the green keepers were kept fulltime or near fulltime. Because I don't use the bar or restaurant I usually give whats on it to the greenskeepers at the end of the year for their christmas party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Be interesting to see what impact this has on my own club.

When I joined I bought a share (pretty much hello money) however with 150+ new members last year who didn't have to buy shares will they stick around now with the course closed so much. Also no concessions being offered, actually existing members where even hit with an extra 200euro levy last year.

To be honest I know it selfish but I'd take a price increase if it freed up some extra space on the timesheet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what impact this has on my own club.

When I joined I bought a share (pretty much hello money) however with 150+ new members last year who didn't have to buy shares will they stick around now with the course closed so much. Also no concessions being offered, actually existing members where even hit with an extra 200euro levy last year.

To be honest I know it selfish but I'd take a price increase if it freed up some extra space on the timesheet

Don't think that's selfish at all. It's the people who want more spaces on the timesheet and a big concession that I find a bit selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Unsure about rejoining to be honest. Club in lockdown and uncertainty around reopening. I’m in no rush to pay my sub put it that way

redzerdrog wrote: »

I think its perfectly valid, you wouldnt join a gym if you could never get on any equipment. People have been paying a premium for premium access to things for ever, I dont see why golf is any different!

slingerz wrote: »
    Unsure about rejoining to be honest. Club in lockdown and uncertainty around reopening. I’m in no rush to pay my sub put it that way

I guess the issue there is that it could become a self fulfilling prophecy, if no one rejoins because they are worried it wont reopen, then it wont reopen.

Hard to know what to do really! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Paid my fees in full yesterday. Have not been finically hit by covid so the cost is not an issue for me personally.

I understand that others are not so fortunate but maybe try and trash out some sort of payment plan or deferral of their membership rather then just letting it lapse due to non payment.

I probably wont get full value for my membership this year as it looks like April before we return but its that or everyone takes the line of not paying subs and the club ceases to exist entirely.

Other clubs would then become oversubscribed with most likely added cost of joining fees due to demand.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I guess the issue there is that it could become a self fulfilling prophecy, if no one rejoins because they are worried it wont reopen, then it wont reopen.

Hard to know what to do really! :(

Might be an idea to get an EGM where the club can announce how many members have committed (not necessarily paid) to rejoining.

If people who are unsure see that most other people are going to rejoin then that might help them decide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Personally I think there’s a world of difference between a members owned club and a commercial concern. The latter are providing a service and I have an issue paying for a service I’m not receiving. They can pretend it’s a “club” as much as they like but it is run solely for profit, not fir the benefit of the members and so correspondingly, like any business, need to take losses on the chin. If I was in a member owned club I wouldn’t have an issue paying up in full.

You means like half the country joining a certain club in Tipperary for SFA while the rest of us try and keep our clubs afloat. Meanwhile the GUI look the other way because they get their poll tax anyway.

You means like half the country joining a certain club in Tipperary for SFA while the rest of us try and keep our clubs afloat. Meanwhile the GUI look the other way because they get their poll tax anyway.

I work in the Aviation Industry so I am more concerned about keeping myself and my family afloat for the next 12 months to be honest.

I work in the Aviation Industry so I am more concerned about keeping myself and my family afloat for the next 12 months to be honest.

I don't blame you so much. I blame to GUI for letting clubs down by not clamping down on it. I know plenty with the ability to pay membership locally who take this option. Then they scramble for every opportunity to play the local course in Am Ams or society outings. I think it's wrong and worse that the GUI allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

My last club had announced last November a reduction in fees from 990 to 790 for 2021 then said in a local paper once the club opens again it will have a fee of 1350 for 12 months golf.

Advertisement