Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you rejoin your club for next year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

My last club had announced last November a reduction in fees from 990 to 790 for 2021 then said in a local paper once the club opens again it will have a fee of 1350 for 12 months golf.

Probably applies for new members no?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

My last club had announced last November a reduction in fees from 990 to 790 for 2021 then said in a local paper once the club opens again it will have a fee of 1350 for 12 months golf.

That's not a bad marketing ploy, Pay upfront 790 now or pay 1350 when it opens up, I'd congratulate your club for that

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    That's not a bad marketing ploy, Pay upfront 790 now or pay 1350 when it opens up, I'd congratulate your club for that

I must be a glass half empty type of guy. I think many will choose to pay neither based on the 1350. Don't see how that's any sort of good marketing ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

benny79 wrote: »
    Probably applies for new members no?

It'll be that for new members for 12 months but current members will pay 790 for this year then 1350 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Think I seen that...Galway Bay???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

So save 200 this year and pay extra 360 next year. Am I missing something? That's fairly stupid no???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Seve OB wrote: »
    this is quite easy to say when you are in a country club that charges a few hundred per year.

would you pay a couple of grand in the zombie apocalypse?

Our membership is about a grand a year now and we definitely dont get all the kickbacks that you guys get in Castleknock

And of course I would pay it. Won't be long before the zombies get me too so I might as well enjoy what money I have until I'm gone

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

bailey99 wrote: »
    So save 200 this year and pay extra 360 next year. Am I missing something? That's fairly stupid no???

Is it not just that the overall sub will be increasing by 360, but if you pay now you get a year at the lower price?
    I dont get whats stupid about that?:o

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is it not just that the overall sub will be increasing by 360, but if you pay now you get a year at the lower price?
    I dont get whats stupid about that?:o

No. You pay 790 for the rest of 2021 if your currently a member. All new members joining from Monday pay 1350 for 12 months membership. All current members will pay 1350 in Jan 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

No. You pay 790 for the rest of 2021 if your currently a member. All new members joining from Monday pay 1350 for 12 months membership. All current members will pay 1350 in Jan 2022.

Going from 990 to 1350 is a big jump in annual subs.

• Advertisement

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Going from 990 to 1350 is a big jump in annual subs.

Sure is. When we paid 990 in 2019 with got a years membership, 4 to 8 green fees depending on when you paid full membership, 40 euro bar/restaurant credit and driving range voucher(can't remember value but something like 30euro). Also reciprocal playing in 2 courses up the country.
    Free green fees gone, bar credit gone, driving range voucher gone.

Sure is. When we paid 990 in 2019 with got a years membership, 4 to 8 green fees depending on when you paid full membership, 40 euro bar/restaurant credit and driving range voucher(can't remember value but something like 30euro). Also reciprocal playing in 2 courses up the country.
    Free green fees gone, bar credit gone, driving range voucher gone.

Many members will be gone methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Many members will be gone methinks

If they lose 30% they would still be better off and can sell more rounds for green fees with the extra space on timesheet.

Sometimes higher fees can be more profitable.

Basically less rounds and higher price per round but risky mistake if you get it wrong.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    If they lose 30% they would still be better off and can sell more rounds for green fees with the extra space on timesheet.

Sometimes higher fees can be more profitable.

Basically less rounds and higher price per round but risky mistake if you get it wrong.

I believe that that's the goal.

It's a gamble, many clubs also went down the route of trying various types of memberships to entice members in (age, distance, country etc) and created confusion and pissed off long-term full members paying full whack. I saw it happen in my own club and it resulted in people abusing it and haggling with management who cut corners and it backfired in the long run. These members generally weren't loyal and moved on (Club hoppers). On top of that some of the handicaps given to them were ridiculous and caused more hassle again with members and made a joke of competitions. I think clubs need to set a reasonable fee for what they have and stick to it and try and find value for members and be seen to be fair to all members. I know it's easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,824 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A bit off topic but did many clubs do anything for members due to them missing out on golf as a result of the Covid closures?

I see some members of my club looking for a reduction in fees this year but I can’t see that happening in all honesty.

A bit off topic but did many clubs do anything for members due to them missing out on golf as a result of the Covid closures?

I see some members of my club looking for a reduction in fees this year but I can’t see that happening in all honesty.

Have you been living under a rock or do you just want to stir things up, Check out this and other threads before asking a repetitive question

• Registered Users Posts: 51,824 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have you been living under a rock or do you just want to stir things up, Check out this and other threads before asking a repetitive question

Stir what up?
    Someone **** in your cornflakes?

If I’d seen it answered before I obviously wouldn’t ask.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

No need to have a pop or be this aggressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Our subs aren't due until March so won't know until then.

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    No need to have a pop or be this aggressive.

Have you something against me.. Can't see the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

On a slightly different note.. I have a gui voucher that I won as a prize at my club that is due to expire next week. (it was valid for six months)

I had intended to use it against my sub renewal but can't now with course closed.

Does anybody know of any retail outlets currently open in cork area that accept them?

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    On a slightly different note.. I have a gui voucher that I won as a prize at my club that is due to expire next week. (it was valid for six months)

I had intended to use it against my sub renewal but can't now with course closed.

Does anybody know of any retail outlets currently open in cork area that accept them?

I would expect vouchers to be honoured. Especially GUI vouchers. Email GUI and they will probably re issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭hurikane

GUI voucher is sent back to the club in order for shop that it was used in to get paid. If it’s not used the club won’t be out of pocket, I’d imagine they’d accept an expired one against sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I would expect GUI vouchers to be honoured.

If your club accepts vouchers against subs I would pay the sub less the value of the voucher and attach it if paying by cheque or email the voucher no and pay the balance by EFT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

My subs are due in June so should be back by then, i have been tucking away my comp fees and other money I would have been spending normally so that i can get some new irons and have something to look forward to when it does re-open.

Will be definitely rejoining either way, the lockdown has shown me the importance of having a hobby and routine outside of the house and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Isn't that what I said?! :)

If it's based on demand then I don't see the issue, things go up when there is more demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Was it hard to get on the timesheet there in 2020?

etxp wrote: »
    Was it hard to get on the timesheet there in 2020?

Yes especially when they offered summer membership and they had plenty of people who were off work due to pandemic.
    Anyway I moved club so these changes don't affect me anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

Joined a new club last year.
    8k Hello money over 2 years plus subs.
    Just paid the balance today so it looks looks like beans on toast in my house for a while.
    When we get back I might change my address to the golf course because I will be living there for the summer.

Advertisement