Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Super League - plans announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lots of sabre rattling from UEFA, ban this, ban that, etc.....

Negotiating positions being set out, FIFA v UEFA, EPL with an axe to grind too. Expect an expanded CL of some sorts at the end of it, whether its FIFA or UEFA controlled is the big question.

Lots of chatter about the 'working class game ' and fans this and that by media pundits..... that ship has sailed a long time, if not there wouldn't be heaps of long distance away trips midweek in the EPL, including games on the likes of Xmas and New Year's eve etc.....

Clubs in general don't give 2 sh1tes about fans, never really have. Lord Justice Taylor is responsible for the good facilities in English grounds, not any of the clubs. If the clubs has their way, supporters would still be pi55ing against a wall at the back of the terrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lawred2 wrote: »
    Not sure what that's supposed to be. Looks like something from word on a Windows 95 machine

Some crap clipart and times New Roman

I was going to make a joke about an hour ago along the lines of "imagine the whole thing was a massive joke by a group of hackers that took over the 12 clubs media channels"

That statement lends itself as evidence that that could actually be the case, but that the hackers are 12.

10 hours of build up for that? essentially what was said anyway and "we'll talk to people about it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Florentino Perez first chairman of the super league.

Says it all.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I wont be watching it but a lot of idiots will I'd say.
    Can be sure of it

I will but I think I'll be in the minority, if fans don't watch it then that completely destroys their finances so I can't see it lasting too many seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Can't wait to see Spurs and Inter Milan in a midweek dead rubber. Thrilling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

6 wrote: »
    Why?

Owners don't care about the fans or the impact on how it will affect all the other clubs in England. Its pure greed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I will but I think I'll be in the minority, if fans don't watch it then that completely destroys their finances so I can't see it lasting too many seasons

Well the question is will the people that do watch it even bother paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There's only one man needed to complete the line-up in this farce:

image.jpg

°°°°°

There's only one man needed to complete the line-up in this farce:

image.jpg

"Can we be the 21st team?"

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can anybody explain why it's called the Swiss model?

The name the Swiss System comes from Chess in Zurich.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/the-swiss-system-611537

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Why would FIFA, UEFA and the PL ban the best and most attractive players/clubs from their competitions?

Makes no sense.

Hollow threat in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s been obvious since UEFA started making noises about reform to appease the bigger clubs a couple of years ago that they were scared shítless of a ESL that could ruin them, myself and others said as much back then.

They must have smelled a rat when the Glazers and Fenway tried to reform the PL last year, that was the beginning of the end. Anything spearheaded by the Americans is consolidation of power, fans are an afterthought. It’s Noah letting the lions on the boat and leaving the rest to die.

The home stadiums could be empty with fans protesting but they won’t care, these ESL games will be played in China, US, Malaysia eventually anyway. United v Liverpool pulled in over 100k fans in Michigan 3 years ago, thats the future. The TV money will be eye watering. UEFA pull in 3 billion a year the bulk of which will redirect to the ESL divided between a handful of clubs. Who will care about a champions league final between Seville and Atalanta when Barca are playing Man City, UEFA will have no TV deals. There will be some posturing I’m sure but all of the big clubs will sign up to this, including Bayern, the loss of CL money could break them.

The rest of the teams in the PL will probably fold, all of English football will need restructuring. I don't see how this can be stopped unless the national organisations oppose. UEFA offering the big clubs more money, taken from the smaller clubs presumably, and a guarantee they won’t miss out on a CL spot is just as wretched.

My interest in the club I’ve supported since a child has been waning for a number of years, because of owners/management, and I honestly think this would kill it off completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Why would FIFA, UEFA and the PL ban the best and most attractive players/clubs from their competitions?

Makes no sense.

They should be ****ed out of it. This is bigger than money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Arsenal fan but you have to laugh at them saying they want to improve the "quality and intensity" of European competition, and then proceed to name Arsenal and Spurs, essentially two mid table teams this season, as founding members.

Likewise, AC Milan have spent the last 7 years finishing around 7th / 8th. They're back on top this season in fairness.

Makes no sense.

Will those new franchises be earning FIFA/UEFA/PL money?

They've no reason to beg.

I think the breakaway 'euro league' could work if they funnelled a percentage of money to the lower leagues.

Not having promotion and relegation is the real sticking point for many people.
    A closed shop. The only league I think of where there is no promotion and relegation is the MLS where the clubs do not hide the fact that they are businesses' first and clubs second. Or as they say 'franchises'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I assume none of the German teams are involved as, I think, they are 51% fan-owned? (with the exception of the likes of Leipzig.... so expect them to join).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

So this replaces the Champions league, well that's a bit **** the champions league is one of the good things we have

• Advertisement

I think the breakaway 'euro league' could work if they funnelled a percentage of money to the lower leagues.

Not having promotion and relegation is the real sticking point for many people.
    A closed shop. The only league I think of where there is no promotion and relegation is the MLS where the clubs do not hide the fact that they are businesses' first and clubs second. Or as they say 'franchises'.

The MLS has a salary cap to prevent Galacticos dominating. I doubt this shìte will.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They should be ****ed out of it. This is bigger than money.
    So the three top leagues in Europe should throw out the clubs that make them popular across the planet and therefore millions of €/£?

Especially when the statement says that its the UCL that they want to change/replace, not their domestic competitions.

I can't say I'd be too interested in the proposed competition, but I definitely wouldn't be watching the PL without those 6 clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I actually think it would be interesting for the womens' game as a secondary league as it would be quite competitive.

Lierpool and Spurs just going down the link to a story route.

Nothing on Utd's twitter
    United have a shareholder message out confirming it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Spurs talking about 'Leading European clubs' is a great joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So the three top leagues in Europe should throw out the clubs that make them popular across the planet and therefore millions of €/£?

Especially when the statement says that its the UCL that they want to change/replace, not their domestic competitions.

I can't say I'd be too interested in the proposed competition, but I definitely wouldn't be watching the PL without those 6 clubs.
    I'd rather watch Fulham vs Accrington Stanley with a bit of passion and a real fan base than watch putrid American greed ****e

°°°°°

Hilarious.

9th placed Arsenal will be doing the best out of this without a doubt.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Won't take long before some of these Super League games will be played in the US or in Asia.

I'd rather watch Fulham vs Accrington Stanley with a bit of passion and a real fan base than watch putrid American greed ****e

Fulham, with the (Pakistani) American billionaire owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then the Gazprom Champions League will be more like the Europa League for a while.

btw you can tell the guardian have cut back so much, they'd have been live blogging this a few years ago.

Good for you. However the PL would not be getting its multi billions TV contracts without those six teams, so they are never going to be thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Will the players be looking for pay increases now ?

An inflationary bubble.
    Players wages go up, tv prices go up, ticket prices go up but the quality of football is getting worse and worse.

°°°°°

Basically, UEFA were willing to behind over backwards to accommodate the big clubs with their re jigged Champions league format but it wasn't enough for them so they've created this concept instead.

Whatever happens, eventually the UEFA name will be attached to whatever competition ends up being contested. The clubs are now the power brokers. UEFA created these monsters, now they've turned on them, the fans are the real losers, but who cares about fans?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Day football died for me.

Even more so if the FA kick them out.

No more derby games like the Merseyside derby etc to look forward to watching

No more home grown youth development, guessing the youth teams dissappear,,, no more players like Greenwood etc coming through at the club

Owners will suck all the new money out of the club and not buy players because why would they... They will be in a league with garenteed income with no reprocussions of losing every game.

There is damn all positives to this mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RoryMac wrote: »

"Could"

Oh well, that's weak. UEFA won't last too long in this fight anyway.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I assume none of the German teams are involved as, I think, they are 51% fan-owned? (with the exception of the likes of Leipzig.... so expect them to join).

Your'e right they made sure to state that they had no interest in it.
    Surprisingly so did PSG.

https://theathletic.com/news/european-super-league-bayern-munich-psg/21wNxzwjkLkd

It surely messes with people's moral compass now.

Barcelona 'more than a club' etc

Liverpool 'you'll never walk alone' etc

Now have less moral authority than PSG!

That is the bit I find gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

This gon be good *unfolds deck chair gif*

Will the players be looking for pay increases now ?

An inflationary bubble.
    Players wages go up, tv prices go up, ticket prices go up but the quality of football is getting worse and worse.

Another subscription to watch this no doubt. Probably something global like Amazon. No wonder Sky are against it, they haven't a hope of getting the rights to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

The most annoying this is announcing this on a school night, they really don’t care about the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

"Could"

Oh well, that's weak. UEFA won't last too long in this fight anyway.

Hopefully that soon changes to "are"

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Day football died for me.

Even more so if the FA kick them out.

No more derby games like the Merseyside derby etc to look forward to watching

No more home grown youth development, guessing the youth teams dissappear,,, no more players like Greenwood etc coming through at the club

Owners will suck all the new money out of the club and not buy players because why would they... They will be in a league with garenteed income with no reprocussions of losing every game.

There is damn all positives to this mess
    Why would there be no more Merseyside derby's when the clubs aren't proposing to leave their domestic competitions. Throwing them out would be financial suicide for the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

The only thing that realistically stops this is a players strike. Do they choose the fans or the money? I'm absolutely sickened by it all but the fall out is going to be very interesting to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

While this was coming for years, the failure with FFP probably gave this fresh impetus - it'll be interesting to see if the new governing body runs the rule over Man City in particular to keep everyone in line re 55% of turn over.

PSG are staying clear only because of BiEN and the World Cup 2022.

Sky Sports reporting UEFA will sue for 50-60 billion if any club participates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

RoryMac wrote: »

What are they trying to do here? Get the players to strike or something?

The players hardly had a say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Why would there be no more Merseyside derby's when the clubs aren't proposing to leave their domestic competitions. Throwing them out would be financial suicide for the PL.

Keeping them in would remove all sporting integrity from the league. Why should the likes of Leicester and West Ham have to compete against teams with incomes of the Super League? You'd have to bin the top teams to maintain a league with any parity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement