Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Super League - plans announced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Sky Sports reporting UEFA will sue for 50-60 billion if any club participates

Yeah but they'd be up against JP Morgans lawyers and all the lawyers that the billionaires can buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Morrison J wrote: »
    Keeping them in would remove all sporting integrity from the league. Why should the likes of Leicester and West Ham have to compete against teams with incomes of the Super League? You'd have to bin the top teams to maintain a league with any parity.
    some fellas just can't believe that their beloved premier league would be broken up, don't even bother explaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This kills the PL, such is the money involved in the ESL the clubs will treat the PL like the league cup.

United’s 2nd/3rd team will finish 16th in the PL but will earn 2,3,4,5? hundred million from participating in the ESL each year.

The PL know this is the end for them, there’s is no billion pound TV deal on the back of this, which is why they are resorting to threats so early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Uefa effectively saying I'll see you and raise you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The courts are going to be busy for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its shocking that the likes of Real Madrid and Liverpool Fc who have a great record in the Champions League turn their backs on the competition that made them successful.

Its great for a club like Arsenal who are going nowhere and have a small chance of winning the Europa League. They are in this elite competition based on their big name reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Keeping them in would remove all sporting integrity from the league. Why should the likes of Leicester and West Ham have to compete against teams with incomes of the Super League? You'd have to bin the top teams to maintain a league with any parity.

This is a move by club owners to take the legs out from underneath the football governing bodies end of story.

The Premier league, UEFA et al created these monsters. They failed to keep them reigned in, now they've outgrown the parameters of the governing bodies.

Football is eating itself before our eyes.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

mikeym wrote: »
    Its shocking that the likes of Real Madrid and Liverpool Fc who have a great record in the Champions League turn their backs on the competition that made them successful.

Its great for a club like Arsenal who are going nowhere and have a small chance of winning the Europa League. They are in this elite competition based on their big name reputation.

How the hell did Spurs make the cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The only thing that realistically stops this is a players strike. Do they choose the fans or the money? I'm absolutely sickened by it all but the fall out is going to be very interesting to this.

Why sickened? I'm against it but let's be fair. This is just one money making competition replacing another. The meritocracy element is being diminished a bit but the CL has always been a money making exercise.

I find the hysteria around this a bit disturbing. People should calm down and see exactly what's being proposed and why before rushing to judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

League parity is dead either way.

PL won’t kick the teams cause that will destroy the league even worse than leaving them in.

It’s an utter disaster for the other 14 teams but at least if the six are still in, there’s some TV revenue involved. If they are kicked from the league, that’s the utter end of the PL. altogether.

It’s basically choosing between an utterly unbalanced league or an utterly dead one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

maybe some anti competition law can be used here, but to what end? it would involve kicking the teams out of their domestic league which i just cant see happening

This totally undermines the Premier League also. 6 clubs will be super powered with billions of Super League money. Totally undermines the integrity of the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I still reckon its all a bluff by the 12 teams.

I hope Uefa make mince meat out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

On what grounds? Are the clubs going to break an existing contract? They renew annually so surely the ESL waits until the current agreement lapses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Why would there be no more Merseyside derby's when the clubs aren't proposing to leave their domestic competitions. Throwing them out would be financial suicide for the PL.

The rest of the Premier League won't need to spend as obscene amount of money trying to compete with City, Chelsea etc. So they'll cut their cloth accordingly. Of course they won't earn anywhere near as much to begin with,(or probably ever), but maybe this will be the big reset in finances football needs. Every other league survives on way less money, no reason the English Premier League won't as well.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

FIFA have just come out and disapproved this so title is misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They can still qualify for UEFA competitions. They just wont have the super league clubs in them. It means 6 English clubs that werent qualifying for Europe now do.

Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Leeds (currently) the 4 CL spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Reminds me of the the GAA club provincial championship, everyone there on merit, or the Leinster Schools rugby, everyone there because of entitlement.

That’s the choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Along with VAR and no fans this is looking like a real nail in the coffin for myself and football, finding myself less and less interested lately and this is just abhorrent stuff really.

Man Utd too mortified to post the press release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A Club World Cup held in summer very 2 years would be cool. Clubs from all over the World, 6 groups ,top 2 through to next round. 500m to the winner.
    That would be bigger that the actual World Cup .
    RoryMac wrote: »
    That sounds sh!t to be honest, European teams hammering the rest of the world with the same teams in the QF, SF and final every time

Dunno why you think the European teams would win. Anyone could win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I still reckon its all a bluff by the 12 teams.

I hope Uefa make mince meat out of them.

The State of that bleedin logo they have, surely it has to be a bluff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

namloc1980 wrote: »
    How the hell did Spurs make the cut?

On the "we were big once" rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm guna support wolves

Man Utd too mortified to post the press release

It's the first item on their website.

This kills the PL, such is the money involved in the ESL the clubs will treat the PL like the league cup.

United’s 2nd/3rd team will finish 16th in the PL but will earn 2,3,4,5? hundred million from participating in the ESL each year.

The PL know this is the end for them, there’s is no billion pound TV deal on the back of this, which is why they are resorting to threats so early on.

Max payout is put at £213m ie you win it. Max income from PL is about 160m so it's bigger but not massively so. Max income from CL is variable due to national league pooling arrangement but it's usually about 120m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

That or they've promised to reinstate the cheese room.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

What happens in 2/3/4 years time when an oil tycoon buys another club and invest in them to be a new Chelsea or City?

They make a super league 2 and bring more in?

The CL is a money grab already too many poor teams in it. The back door into the EL devalues that. CL needed to become an elite competition for only the very best but that reduces the money.

This will end up with the teams staying in there leagues and plying a super league midweek, it will be hard to get the 6 to back track especially if 2/3 of them have no champions league next year to fall back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Why sickened? I'm against it but let's be fair. This is just one money making competition replacing another. The meritocracy element is being diminished a bit but the CL has always been a money making exercise.

I find the hysteria around this a bit disturbing. People should calm down and see exactly what's being proposed and why before rushing to judgement.
    I'm sickened because the point of sport is you should have to earn what achieve. Likes of Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal having bang average seasons and get a free pass to a champions league tournament where Leicester and West Ham have earned their right by winning games only to be robbed.

To move the posts and ensure you qualify for a tournament where the money is through a means that depends on your stature and how much money you have instead of actually winning games absolutely stinks.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's the first item on their website.
    Not on any of their social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The people bleating about 'But the PL will never throw them out' etc come across as cheerleaders for this format and those teams. If this goes ahead I would love to watch a league without the big 6 flourish. They are betting on and wanting it not to and some fans who are more concerned about how big of a loss these clubs is rather than just criticising them will be all part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's not trophies anyway, 60 years since a league title

The big stadium clearly plays a part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I fully support the ESL plan.

This is the logical next step.

Football has been ever more commodified for the past 30 years. It's all about money, it's not about football or fans or communities or any of that. That's long gone.

The fans have to take responsibility too. They are the ones buying the tickets, paying the wages, buying the jerseys, getting the pay tv subscriptions....They've aided this direction and cheered it on themselves.

What's been created is an enormous bubble and it's going to burst.

When it does all these clubs will be humbled and bankrupted and maybe then we'll be back to what the game should be about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Lord TSC wrote: »
    League parity is dead either way.

PL won’t kick the teams cause that will destroy the league even worse than leaving them in.

It’s an utter disaster for the other 14 teams but at least if the six are still in, there’s some TV revenue involved. If they are kicked from the league, that’s the utter end of the PL. altogether.

It’s basically choosing between an utterly unbalanced league or an utterly dead one.

How is parity dead? Leicester and West Ham were on course to potentially qualify for the champions league. Leeds still capable of finishing ahead of the likes of Arsenal and Spurs.

It's the fear of these clubs upsetting the apple cart that has instigated this. Fear of those better run clubs taking the revenue from the "big 6". Absolute joke to just pull the rug out from underneath the feet of those clubs who've earned where they are the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The only option now, surely, is to exclude the big 6 from the league?

They’ve said they want no part in its structure. The league finishes are irrelevant

The game between them and the rest are just friendlies now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Where does the funding for the €3.5billion pay out for each founding club come from?

Glazers Out!

Corholio wrote: »
    The people bleating about 'But the PL will never throw them out' etc come across as cheerleaders for this format and those teams. If this goes ahead I would love to watch a league without the big 6 flourish. They are betting on and wanting it not to and some fans who are more concerned about how big of a loss these clubs is rather than just criticising them will be all part of it.

The PL will suck it up unless SKY are happy with Super Sunday of Soton v Villa and Leeds against Everton. SKY are going to react by reducing the deal value come 2022 renewal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm seeing alot of people across the internet who are disgusted by this, like genuinely appalled. But then concede that they will end up watching it.

This makes no sense to me. If all the people who are disgusted with it, decide not to watch something that they dislike so strongly, well then it isn't going to be a particularly successful venture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Youtube Arsenal fan channel AFTV is having an online live debate now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Corholio wrote: »

Its not cheer leading, the best players in the world are at these clubs, your product will become worthless if you don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's not trophies anyway, 60 years since a league title

The big stadium clearly plays a part

This is clearly a business decision. Spurs are one of the biggest businesses in European football. No surprise they're in. This has little to do with sporting achievement.

Not sure why Spurs are the only English club being ridiculed. Has no one noticed that Arsenal are also in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I don't think it will actually happen.

I think this posturing will just result in the 12 or 15 clubs just getting more sway in terms of qualification places or money in the revamped UEFA CL format.

I'd love to know the sequence of events leading to the leak/announcement because I can't imagine this is how they imagined the glorious launch going. :pac:

This is clubs getting greedy and listening to bankers and lawyers. They're the main group who'll make money from this whole mess. A few players will have articles written about them 5 years after they've left the limelight about lucky break contracts they signed that netted them millions. At the end of the days the main beneficiaries will the the vampire professionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

klose wrote: »
    Along with VAR and no fans this is looking like a real nail in the coffin for myself and football, finding myself less and less interested lately and this is just abhorrent stuff really.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, take this as your cue to start supporting your local League of Ireland team (if you're not already).

nullzero wrote: »
    Where does the funding for the €3.5billion pay out for each founding club come from?

It's between them surely. No way they get €3.5bn each. That'd be over €40bn!

• Advertisement

Respect to the Bundesliga teams for having a bit of dignity, I always say it's the only genuine league in Europe. Every team is majority fan owned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I fully support the ESL plan.

This is the logical next step.

Football has been ever more commodified for the past 30 years. It's all about money, it's not about football or fans or communities or any of that. That's long gone.

The fans have to take responsibility too. They are the ones buying the tickets, paying the wages, buying the jerseys, getting the pay tv subscriptions....They've aided this direction and cheered it on themselves.

What's been created is an enormous bubble and it's going to burst.

When it does all these clubs will be humbled and bankrupted and maybe then we'll be back to what the game should be about.
    I fully support Kermit.de.frog's po st.

This is a really logical post.

He begins by talking about how he supports this idea, but then proceeds to go into detail on why its actually a really bad thing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, take this as your cue to start supporting your local League of Ireland team (if you're not already).
    Thank Christ for the LOI. Gets a lot of **** but times like this make me appreciate my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

nullzero wrote: »

JP Morgan are throwing 6bn behind it against future TV and sponsorship revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fitz* wrote: »
    I don't think it will actually happen.

I think this posturing will just result in the 12 or 15 clubs just getting more sway in terms of qualification places or money in the revamped UEFA CL format.

That would look horrendous for uefa/fifa. Basically saying 'ye threatened to leave us, here's MORE money please stay'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement