Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Super League - plans announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Reports now that all 12 clubs have left the European Clubs Association

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Does this mean currently Leicester, West Ham, Everton & Leeds all qualify for the Champions League next season :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

I don’t see how FIFA/UEFA can ban players especially ones who are contracted to these clubs and have no involvement in this whatsoever

If they go this route not only will they destroy domestic leagues beyond the damage allowing them stay will, it will also kill international football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

This is a joke, where are all the managers Klopp and Mourinho included who claim they are already playing too many matches in a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Respect to the Bundesliga teams for having a bit of dignity, I always say it's the only genuine league in Europe. Every team is majority fan owned.

Bayern board is 50/50 about this, presumably even if they wanted to they couldn't unless voted for which won;t happen now, but in a few years it might if the ESL actually takes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CSF wrote: »
    I'm seeing alot of people across the internet who are disgusted by this, like genuinely appalled. But then concede that they will end up watching it.

This makes no sense to me. If all the people who are disgusted with it, decide not to watch something that they dislike so strongly, well then it isn't going to be a particularly successful venture.

Lets see what the viewing figures are like for the World Cup next year. My guess is as good as before and everyone on here will be watching and talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The final 3 clubs are expected to be Bayern, Leipzig and Porto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

This is a joke, where are all the managers Klopp and Mourinho included who claim they are already playing too many matches in a season.

They may well be right. But now, Money.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I still reckon its all a bluff by the 12 teams.

I hope Uefa make mince meat out of them.

Either way, every club involved is an absolute disgrace to the beautiful game.

I'm a life long Liverpool fan and I'm disgusted at them. Nothing but a soulless franchise. Liverpool and United. The two clubs in the EPL you'd never expect to sell their soul have done so tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

rob316 wrote: »

LOL!

What the actual ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lets see what the viewing figures are like for the World Cup next year. My guess is as good as before and everyone on here will be watching and talking about it.
    Why would the World Cup be affected? People aren't talking about stopping watching football entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

DeanAustin wrote: »
    This is clearly a business decision. Spurs are one of the biggest businesses in European football. No surprise they're in. This has little to do with sporting achievement.

Not sure why Spurs are the only English club being ridiculed. Has no one noticed that Arsenal are also in?

Spurs are the standout exception, last trophy 14 years ago and that was a league cup, never won the premiership, last league title something like 40 years ago, haven't even won the FA cup in 30 years.

Baffling how they're involved

In bed probably, big day for LFC tomorrow! :)

Domestic games won't matter when league position has no consequence. You could play your u21s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wonder why PSG aren't involved?

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Has no one noticed that Arsenal are also in?

Theres no fun in ridiculing Arsenal. Its like being in 6th year and picking on the weakest first year. It gets to the point very fast when its just sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not fair to put it on the managers. They are employee's only, and have been given orders no doubt to have zero opinion on Super League, to not comment negatively.

Owner is on the uefa committee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Shame think this would be a more suitable idea

https://twitter.com/JonnyGabriel/status/1383917589752029185

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RoryMac wrote: »
    Spurs are the standout exception, last trophy 14 years ago and that was a league cup, never won the premiership, last league title something like 40 years ago, haven't even won the FA cup in 30 years.

60 years ago

It's clearly not a football decision. Sure look at the state of Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs this year.

However Leavy has built a big business with one of the best stadiums in the world. That's where it's at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Maybe they'll still sign up later, but they don't need the money. Supposedly City and Chelsea were last to agree in England (because they also don't need the money).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Leipzig

Farce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

RoryMac wrote: »

Everyone saying this is a disgrace because it's all about money. Spurs are one of the biggest clubs in Europe, money wise, so why is it a surprise?

And if we're looking for an elite Super League based on sporting merit, Arsenal would be nowhere near it. They've been worse than Spurs for 5 years now. Otherwise, we may as well go inviting Forest and Villa given that they've actually won the CL/European Cup in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

So 4 of the ‘Super’ teams are currently below West Ham in the league:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Owner is on the uefa committee
    So was Agnelli.

TBF out of all the BL teams you'd expect Leipzig to be in it. Anything associated with the name Red Bull is just looking for $$$$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Anyone know why PSG aren't involved. Surely it suits their owners more than any of the other clubs involved. If anyone has said this was happening I would have thought they'd be one of the primary drivers.

Is it because they're still in the CL and will be one of the 3 clubs yet announced? Although City and Chelsea are still involved. Makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Absolutely rotten. Clearly driven by American owners who want to replicate the closed shop of the NFL in Europe.

CSF wrote: »
    Why would the World Cup be affected? People aren't talking about stopping watching football entirely.

Nothing to do with the ESL.

All the Qatar related stuff. In the end, people will watch, regardless of how much moaning they do in the lead up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Owners have money in CL broadcast rights which are about to crater in value...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thier owner has a very big stake in BEIN sport and could have lot to lose over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

lawred2 wrote: »
    60 years ago

It's clearly not a football decision. Sure look at the state of Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs this year.

However Leavy has built a big business with one of the best stadiums in the world. That's where it's at.

Announcement should've been "11 of the biggest and most successful clubs and 1 with a fancy stadium have decided to create a Super League"

I do like how all these clubs are coming out with this stuff.

Like they wouldnt be in like a shot if they were big enough and got an invite.........

BiEN and World Cup 2022 (FIFA, UEFA etc important)
    Theres no fun in ridiculing Arsenal. Its like being in 6th year and picking on the weakest first year. It gets to the point very fast when its just sad.

Arsenal are 8th in the Deliotte List, that's why they are in this. And they've won the league 12 times or something. Obvs Europe is best overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If the english clubs get kicked out of the pl, they will lose more money than they make.

This only happens if people accept it. I'm not so sure they will. There are more fans of football in england who support other teams than those 6. And most of the fans of those 6 are pretty disgusted.

Personally I'm hoping for a split. Let united lose hundreds of millions. Screw over the glazers, and then maybe in 10 years time it'll be a football club again.

#glazersandallother****ersout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"If you're name's not on the list, you can't come in"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thank Christ for the LOI. Gets a lot of **** but times like this make me appreciate my team.

Wait for it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Like they wouldnt be in like a shot if they were big enough and got an invite.........

Luckily most Irish football fans prefer to support foreign clubs so there is no danger of that ever happening :pac:

FAI and IFA clubs rejected joining together with a massive TV deal over fears about promotion/relegation so not sure what you're on about there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

"20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season"

All other clubs should say fcuk right off to this and not pander to only 5 clubs outside qualifying. Its so demeaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So FIFA are backing this new league, and UEFA are threatening the clubs and players with bans?

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

Thank Christ for the LOI. Gets a lot of **** but times like this make me appreciate my team.

true. c'mon the bit of red.

This Super League will only be a disaster if teams are banned from their national league, and cups. If they're not banned then it's game on.
    Super League will have amazing games week in week out.

20 TEAMS?
    But we only have 12 on board so far.

Would teams really not want to win their own league? Come on, that's silly, course they'd want to win it. Super League is just European midweek football, same as CL is.
    Winning the Premier League is better that winning Super League or CL .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

lawred2 wrote: »
    Leipzig

Farce

Red Bull*

Glazers Out!

PHB wrote: »
    If the english clubs get kicked out of the pl, they will lose more money than they make.

This only happens if people accept it. I'm not so sure they will. There are more fans of football in england who support other teams than those 6. And most of the fans of those 6 are pretty disgusted.

Personally I'm hoping for a split. Let united lose hundreds of millions. Screw over the glazers, and then maybe in 10 years time it'll be a football club again.

How will they lose money in the ESL? I already said max PL income 150m, in ESL they'll make no less and probably more plus they'll get a joining grant which is worth at least 100m and up to 300m then factor in the global subscriptions via DAZN and maybe others. They've not done this on teh back of a fag packet.

NIMAN wrote: »
    So FIFA are backing this new league, and UEFA are threatening the clubs and players with bans?

Am I missing something?

The FIFA in the thread title needs to be changed. Its a legacy from when the thread started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What is the source on that? There are fake accounts on twitter spreading the Leipzig/Bayern rumour but I haven't seen Porto mentioned before.

Leipzig leaving the Bundesliga would make just about everyone happy and given their main motivation if pushing their energy drink brand they would instantly accept an invite. Their fans have no say and are irrelevant honestly.

Bayern I could also tolerate leaving but their fans would never stand for it. It won't happen.

TheadoreT wrote: »
    "20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season"

All other clubs should say fcuk right off to this and not pander to only 5 clubs outside qualifying. Its so demeaning

When you think about it one club from Premier League to qualify is a bonus team in the Super League. More than there ever was in CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

NIMAN wrote: »
    "If you're name's not on the list, you can't come in"

The ancient super league of no Homer's.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement