Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Super League - plans announced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Oat23 wrote: »
    What is the source on that? There are fake accounts on twitter spreading the Leipzig/Bayern rumour but I haven't seen Porto mentioned before.

Leipzig leaving the Bundesliga would make just about everyone happy and given their main motivation if pushing their energy drink brand they would instantly accept an invite. Their fans have no say and are irrelevant honestly.

Bayern I could also tolerate leaving but their fans would never stand for it. It won't happen.

None of these clubs believe they are leaving their domestic league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Come in Mr Levy*, congrats on coming 3rd in the Brawndo Superlative League of European Awesome, sadly though this will be your last season as an oil tycoon has bought Hull and their bank balance is now better than yours.

Do please feel free to try again when you post next year's financials.

*Or any other chairman, not picking on Spurs, all the owners are spineless bottom-feeders.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Wonder why PSG aren't involved?

They are waiting for the 3 other teams left in CL to be kicked out by UEFA so they can finally win the CL then join the super league.

True meaning of buying the league right there.

Supporters clubs in England will oppose this. Well, Liverpool will and I'd expect Utd's will too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

psg holding out hoping the other 3 are kicked out of the CL so they can win it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

6 wrote: »
    Supporters clubs in England will oppose this. Well, Liverpool will and I'd expect Utd's will too.

United fans have been opposed to the Glazers since they arrived. Look at FC United of Manchester as a point of reference.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

The Champions league will surely have to rebrand now if it decides to continue. Like can't be accepting 4 midtable teams from England, would be farcical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

6 wrote: »

It's not going down well with arsenal fans either. There will be too much backlash and in the end it won't happen, in the meantime though I hope all 12 clubs involved get relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

DeanAustin wrote: »
    None of these clubs believe they are leaving their domestic league.

The DFL are not going to allow clubs from the Bundesliga to compete in a competition that guarantees them an income of over €200m per season and makes league games irrelevant.

The fans won't allow it, and in Germany fans actually have a say, thankfully. The representatives of every club will vote for them to be kicked out when fans tell them to, otherwise they'll lose their jobs themselves.

There's probably something in the leagues rules already stating teams cannot enter into new competitions without the consent of the league. There is in the EPL rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

It will be interesting to hear what players and managers say when quizzed about, Klopp is on record as being opposed to it a few years back so his PR manager must be onto him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

How do the players handle this when interviewed? Surely they have to take the side of the fans and oppose it. Feel like most managers will naturally be against it. I can see the pressure mounting and some sort of player/manager strike happening and putting an end to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I would absolutely love it it UEFA go in a huff and award PSG the CL tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

UCL and UEL suspended according to reports

The DFL are not going to allow clubs from the Bundesliga to compete in a competition that guarantees them an income of over €200m per season and makes league games irrelevant.

The fans won't allow it, and in Germany fans actually have a say, thankfully. The representatives of every club will vote for them to be kicked out when fans tell them to, otherwise they'll lose their jobs themselves.

There's probably something in the leagues rules already stating teams cannot enter into new competitions without the consent of the league. There is in the EPL rules.

Let's see if the EPL actually invoke those rules. When the stakes are this high, compromises usually result. The EPL ****s out the big 6 and they're left with a competition no one wants to watch and the TV deals disappear. They won't do that.

°°°°°

It's not going down well with arsenal fans either. There will be too much backlash and in the end it won't happen, in the meantime though I hope all 12 clubs involved get relegated.

I tend to agree.

As a United fan, seeing us finally scraping our way back towards the top has been satisfying but our owners are leeches and drastic action is needed against them and their ilk.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This Super League will only be a disaster if teams are banned from their national league, and cups. If they're not banned then it's game on.
    Super League will have amazing games week in week out.

20 TEAMS?
    But we only have 12 on board so far.

Would teams really not want to win their own league? Come on, that's silly, course they'd want to win it. Super League is just European midweek football, same as CL is.
    Winning the Premier League is better that winning Super League or CL .

Spurs versus Inter in a dead rubber will be awesome alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Morrison J wrote: »
    How do the players handle this when interviewed? Surely they have to take the side of the fans and oppose it. Feel like most managers will naturally be against it. I can see the pressure mounting and some sort of player/manager strike happening and putting an end to this.

I'd imagine the club's will ask the players to say something like it's not their decision and they just want to play football blah blah..

It will be interesting to see what the players say, no sign of any making comments online so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Fair play to the German teams, who have seemingly learned from their own country's history that there's a need to maintain group control over a common interest in order to prevent bad actors from sabotaging it.

nullzero wrote: »
    United fans have been opposed to the Glazers since they arrived. Look at FC United of Manchester as a point of reference.

Id expect fans will protest and even boycott matches depending on the PL decision.

On your point on FC United of Manchester, yes some did leave. Fergie ridiculed those fans.

I don't know any Utd fans over here that stopped supporting Utd, and I know a lot. Even on here,where'd you'd expect a few perhaps. Dumping your team is a big step, and not one I'd agree with.

Anyway, fans should protest over this. I think the size of protest will hinge on the PL decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Source?

• Advertisement

Where you seeing this? Think that'd be a terrible knee jerk move to be honest.

Let's see if the EPL actually invoke those rules. When the stakes are this high, compromises usually result. The EPL ****s out the big 6 and they're left with a competition no one wants to watch and the TV deals disappear. They won't do that.

As others have pointed out, competition integrity is totally lost if they admit these 6 clubs to compete in the league. The PL is stuck between a rock and a hard place if the super league goes ahead.

All over twitter on multiple verified accounts that BBC have said it but I can't see it anywhere from BBC

°°°°°

They'll be instructed to say nothing or else.

Same bully boy tactics from their employers that their employers are using to start this Super league idea.

Glazers Out!

This Super League will only be a disaster if teams are banned from their national league, and cups. If they're not banned then it's game on.
    Super League will have amazing games week in week out.

They literally have to be kicked from the domestic league if the Super League happens. 6 teams at the top of the league all getting billions more in revenue over the other clubs. What's the point in the other clubs even trying? Hardly "game on".

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see the players of these teams, either individually or through FIFPro, taking a stand and saying they won't play in the ESL. A big selling point of the ESL is seeing the world's best players facing each other more regularly. But if the players won't play ball, then how attractive would a new league full of reserves be? In general, I'd be interested to hear what FIFPro, the PFA, or individual players have to say about the whole thing, especially given how against it fans in general are.

As others have pointed out, competition integrity is totally lost if they admit these 6 clubs to compete in the league. The PL is stuck between a rock and a hard place if the super league goes ahead.

The Premier League is no more about sporting integrity than the ESL. No one wants the big money pot to shrink even if the odds are stacked even more in favour of the big teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I would absolutely love it it UEFA go in a huff and award PSG the CL tomorrow.

And then on Tuesday psg announce they're off to the esl. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

To suspend it is the opposite of knee jerk. Let the dust settle and make decisions then. Knee jerk would be to award the CL to PSG and to declare the final of the EL to be between Villarreal and Roma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

greendom wrote: »
    To suspend it is the opposite of knee jerk. Let the dust settle and make decisions then. Knee jerk would be to award the CL to PSG and to declare the final of the EL to be between Villarreal and Roma.

I'd love to see that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They literally have to be kicked from the domestic league if the Super League happens. 6 teams at the top of the league all getting billions more in revenue over the other clubs. What's the point in the other clubs even trying? Hardly "game on".
    What billions? The word is its around $200-300m per club. Still admitedly a lot more than the get from the PL, but nowhere near billions.

And then on Tuesday psg announce they're off to the esl. :)

PSG's owners have a lot of interest in the Champions League doing well ;)

There's no game this week. If they suspend now, less than 2 hours after the ESL has been announced late on a Sunday night, it looks like they are giving it credibility and are running scared a bit. In my view, they should see what the next few days brings and make a decision then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Zaph wrote: »
    It'll never happen, but I'd love to see the players of these teams, either individually or through FIFPro, taking a stand and saying they won't play in the ESL. A big selling point of the ESL is seeing the world's best players facing each other more regularly. But if the players won't play ball, then how attractive would a new league full of reserves be? In general, I'd be interested to hear what FIFPro, the PFA, or individual players have to say about the whole thing, especially given how against it fans in general are.

What if they want to play in it ?

I am now very curious about UEFA's meeting tomorrow. I think if they look at the reactions they will feel emboldened to come down hard on these clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nothing would change, as huge gap as is. And teams will only ever be allowed to play 11 v 11
    Not as if Sheffield United were ever going to win the premier league.

The Premier League is no more about sporting integrity than the ESL. No one wants the big money pot to shrink even if the odds are stacked even more in favour of the big teams.

It's not really about the odds being stacked because of the different income levels and more about United resting players for a Sunday game away to Brighton because they have a big quarter final in Milan on the Wednesday.

Things like that cannot be allowed to happen. I understand a scenario like that is entirely possible as things stand, but it's different as there would be consequences to dropping points in that game away to Brighton at the minute. When the SL arrives it doesn't matter one bit if United win/lose/draw that match. It's meaningless. Winning means what, at the end of the season they might finish 1 place higher and earn £2m more in prize money? They won't care. The real competition, the only one that actually matters, is that midweek game in Milan.

What billions? The word is its around $200-300m per club. Still admitedly a lot more than the get from the PL, but nowhere near billions.

3.5 billion is being thrown around. Presume that's between the clubs but still. It makes a mockery of the competitive balance of the Premier League if you let the top 6 keep their place in the league while getting that sort of revenue without even earning it.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1383924141984604163?s=19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's not really about the odds being stacked because of the different income levels and more about United resting players for a Sunday game away to Brighton because they have a big quarter final in Milan on the Wednesday.

Things like that cannot be allowed to happen. I understand a scenario like that is entirely possible as things stand, but it's different as there would be consequences to dropping points in that game away to Brighton at the minute. When the SL arrives it doesn't matter one bit if United win/lose/draw that match. It's meaningless. Winning means what, at the end of the season they might finish 1 place higher and earn £2m more in prize money? They won't care. The real competition, the only one that actually matters, is that midweek game in Milan.
    Things like that already happen. Teams have been resting players before big European ties for years.

• Advertisement

Nothing would change, as huge gap as is. And teams will only ever be allowed to play 11 v 11
    Not as if Sheffield United were ever going to win the premier league.

Leicester literally only won it 5 years ago and are on course to make the champions league with West Ham. It would change a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There's no game this week. If they suspend now, less than 2 hours after the ESL has been announced late on a Sunday night, it looks like they are giving it credibility and are running scared a bit. In my view, they should see what the next few days brings and make a decision then.
    That's a fair point but how long would they get away with doing nothing? This is a serious threat to UEFA competition. I don't think doing nothing was an option.

Things like that already happen. Teams have been resting players before big European ties for years.

You should have read my entire post instead of just the first line and then replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I assume Barca "more than a club" are chasing the cash too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Tbh I don’t think this would be the problem for the PL, these 6 teams become super teams, sign all the best players and compete for the PL title that still pulls in billions of viewers.

If they get to still make good money from this they’ll bend. They are all after the same thing

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What if they want to play in it ?

Maybe they will, and if so there's not much can be done about it, but equally maybe they don't and their opinions on it should be heard. Effectively their terms of employment are changing, and some may not be happy about that.

That's a fair point but how long would they get away with doing nothing? This is a serious threat to UEFA competition. I don't think doing nothing was an option.

Yeah they've got to respond but I don't think doing it so quickly on a Sunday night is a good look. Gives the breakaway clubs too much power. Looks like it's not true anyway.

nullzero wrote: »
    They'll be instructed to say nothing or else.

Same bully boy tactics from their employers that their employers are using to start this Super league idea.

We'll see. Bielsa and Klopp interviews tomorrow will be very very interesting.

The PL will be like the league cup if this goes ahead. Micky mouse to the SL teams, with a lot of meaningless matches.

You could have a situation where teams in the SL are resting players in PL games. If you aren't in the running for the title, finishing anywhere above 18th will suffice.

SL teams have to be excluded from the PL the more I think about it.

It'll seriously harm the PL though. Money will flow out of it and it'll be a glorified Championship.

"The Founders".

y6l0ukw.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement