Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Super League - plans announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Soups123 wrote: »
    Tbh I don’t think this would be the problem for the PL, these 6 teams become super teams, sign all the best players and compete for the PL title that still pulls in billions of viewers.

If they get to still make good money from this they’ll bend. They are all after the same thing

And what if the other 14 teams refuse to play under those conditions which they inevitably would? The premier league needs more than 6 teams...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Oat23 wrote: »
    It's not really about the odds being stacked because of the different income levels and more about United resting players for a Sunday game away to Brighton because they have a big quarter final in Milan on the Wednesday.

Things like that cannot be allowed to happen. I understand a scenario like that is entirely possible as things stand, but it's different as there would be consequences to dropping points in that game away to Brighton at the minute. When the SL arrives it doesn't matter one bit if United win/lose/draw that match. It's meaningless. Winning means what, at the end of the season they might finish 1 place higher and earn £2m more in prize money? They won't care. The real competition, the only one that actually matters, is that midweek game in Milan.

What if United are in the hunt for the PL. Let's say they are and they have a dead rubber in the ESL on the Wednesday. It's possible they rest their players on the Wednesday and play their full team against Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Zaph wrote: »
    their opinions on it should be heard. .

Should they though? They're employees paid to play football.

We're not talking human rights issues here (as in using their voices to speak up for persecuted people). They get paid to play football and 8f the esl is the top level of that I'm sure most will take the 100 plus grand a week amd play in it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

6 wrote: »
    The PL will be like the league cup if this goes ahead. Micky mouse to the SL teams, with a lot of meaningless matches.

You could have a situation where teams in the SL are resting players in PL games. If you aren't in the running for the title, finishing anywhere above 18th will suffice.

They could conceivably end up having two separate squads, one for the SL and one for the PL. The PL squad would serve as a feeder to the SL squad in the same way that the U23s currently feed into the PL squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The PL will be like the league cup if this goes ahead.

Only if the PL wants to cut off its nose to spite its face.

I wonder if could it lead to a breakaway PL too. Has to be a risk for the PL.

The excluded 6 teams could potentially just form a mini league and lure Celtic and Rangers for example.

Another issue here is fifa and uefa can sue these teams but it's jp morgan's backing groups of billionaires o don't know if they win that battle. Man city alone took it to uefa recently

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You should have read my entire post instead of just the first line and then replying.
    I did read the post. Teams already make way more from progressing in the CL than finishing 1 or 2 places higher in the league. What you're saying you don't want to happen already happens regularly.

In 2017 Mourinho basically binned the last 3 or 4 games in the league to concentrate on the EL semis and final. So not even the CL.

It already happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Should they though? They're employees paid to play football.

We're not talking human rights issues here (as in using their voices to speak up for persecuted people). They get paid to play football and 8f the esl is the top level of that I'm sure most will take the 100 plus grand a week amd play in it.

I appreciate it's not a human rights issue, but the majority of players come from working class backgrounds, some may even be playing for the clubs they grew up supporting. How will those guys feel about sh*tting all over the views of the fans who support them by taking part in the ESL? You're right, in the end the extra cash will more than likely win out, but I'd be curious to see if players feel as strongly about it as fans, especially if it led to them being excluded from domestic leagues, international competitions, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

It's a human rights issue that Matt Doherty will be playing in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I wonder if could it lead to a breakaway PL too. Has to be a risk for the PL.

The excluded 6 teams could potentially just form a mini league and lure Celtic and Rangers for example.

Celtic and Rangers. Deary me

Spurs and Arsenal is bad enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

If this new SL is formed and bigger profits to SL teams then this would lead to bigger wage for players.

Most players not going to say no to bigger wads of cash IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I did read the post. Teams already make way more from progressing in the CL than finishing 1 or 2 places higher in the league. What you're saying you don't want to happen already happens regularly.

In 2017 Mourinho basically binned the last 3 or 4 games in the league to concentrate on the EL semis and final. So not even the CL.

It already happens all the time.

Yes, but there are *consequences* now because the league table actually means something. That's why it doesn't happen all the time. You finish higher and you make more money, you have to win to qualify for the EL/CL etc.. In a super league era PL games are relegated to being a level slightly above friendly games (apart from derbies perhaps). The PL can't allow teams resting stars in between SL games to become standard behaviour like it almost certainly will. It's unfair to the other 14 league members and undermines the whole competition when not all teams and players are taking it 100% seriously.

Xenji wrote: »

Romano talking s*ite and keeping the fanboys on the edge of their seat as always.

The CL/EL suspension thing has no basis. It's not even a rumour or some murmuring that has been heard and leaked. It was made up by some twitter account and accredited to the BBC who never said anything about the CL/EL.

Disgraceful 'journalist'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

NIMAN wrote: »
    I assume Barca "more than a club" are chasing the cash too?

Fan owned club, surely their club members have to vote on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

What happens to the five special guest star teams every season? Or the making up the numbers teams if you prefer. 30+ very well paid friendlies? It doesn't matter if you finish tenth or last, you probably aren't coming back next year.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Romano talking s*ite and keeping the fanboys on the edge of their seat as always.

The CL/EL suspension thing has no basis. It's not even a rumour or some murmuring that has been heard and leaked. It was made up by some twitter account and accredited to the BBC who never said anything about the CL/EL.

Disgraceful 'journalist'.

He's literally saying that though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

It's a power play designed to get the bigger clubs a larger slice of the pie thats unfairly split equally amongst all clubs (in england). Unfairly in their own eyes

Zaph wrote: »
    They could conceivably end up having two separate squads, one for the SL and one for the PL. The PL squad would serve as a feeder to the SL squad in the same way that the U23s currently feed into the PL squads.

This is being discussed as if teams in europe dont already handle this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Uefa is so corrupt, so many funny things happen in CL for it to be coincidence .

Blanco100 wrote: »
    It's a power play designed to get the bigger clubs a larger slice of the pie thats unfairly split equally amongst all clubs (in england). Unfairly in their own eyes

What about the non English clubs?

I'd say it's definitely a part of it by the English clubs by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I don't think this will go ahead, uefa , fifa etc will block it.

But if it did I don't see the teams participating being kicked out of their leagues, lets take the premier league for example the money they get for tv rights comes from people wanting to watch the bigger teams. Nobody wants to watch west brom vs sheffield united apart from their own fans.

The rights for tv went for £4.5bn last time around, a league without 2 x Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs doesn't pull in anywhere near that I suspect. Coincidentally the rights for the premier league are up for auction this summer for 22/23 season onwards.
    This could be bigger clubs in england showing the other clubs you need us more than we need you we'll take a bigger portion of the pie from here on or we'll take our ball and go play elsewhere.

Uefa is so corrupt, so many funny things happen in CL for it to be coincidence .

As is the PL tbh

I dont see why id be expected to feel any great fondness for it, the reffing (and more recently, VAR calls) have been a joke to favour the same couple of rich clubs since sky bought the whole racket thirty years ago tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Not sure how accurate it is but the tweets are from Jan and he appears to have got the number of teams and the money involved correct, worth a read, key points are the bulk of the money is paid to the founding teams with little different for performance and the 5 invited clubs get much smaller amount

https://twitter.com/james_corbett/status/1352652214272217088?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

There is something a bit disingenuous about UEFA and FIFA being white knights here when they are just corrupt money-hungry parasites themselves.

Liverpool got no calls that they should have got in CL against Real, and Dortmund got none against City.

But how much worse would it be with the Clubs self running the SL

Who is going to officiate for the whole independence of it .

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    He's literally saying that though...

He's not though if you actually follow him. This is how he operates. He loves keeping his followers on the edge of their seats constantly checking his TL for updates.

He could simply have stated the story is 100% false like other journalists have but with Romano you get things like 'no statement from UEFA yet' and 'nothing decided yet', like it's actually a possibility. He knows exactly what he's doing and the man has no journalistic integrity. A total showman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Degag wrote: »
    There is something a bit disingenuous about UEFA and FIFA being white knights here when they are just corrupt money-hungry parasites themselves.

Just varying degrees of cùnts, like in World War 2, Churchill just happened to be slightly less of a cùnt than Hitler was, so was the good guy for a year or two, but still an absolute cùnt.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Just varying degrees of cùnts, like in World War 2, Churchill just happened to be slightly less of a cùnt than Hitler was, so was the good guy for a year or two, but still an absolute cùnt.

And Sky, for all their bravado today are fallible also. They along with the clubs, PL etc have no problem bleeding the fans dry every year and if this goes ahead, you can be sure will do it again, Gary Neville, while i agreed with everything he said today will still commentate and make money out of it in all likelyhood.

It's all a big game and we are the prey.

You can be sure if the SL goes ahead Uefa and FIFA will get some of the pie.

Gary Neville, who i like, is a millionaire who was a millionaire in his early twenties from playing for a superclub that the premier league bent over for for decades, on and off the pitch, while other teams got shafted, who co-owns a lower league club with a billionaire and gets paid further millions by the company probably most to blame for the game becoming a laundering operation for the worlds dirtiest money short of actual kinahan cash.

If he is the voice of the common fan here, the common fan was already dead and buried.

This new league wont lack a tv deal and the stadiums will be full for the matches, and sky/EPL are rightly rattled but doommongering from their end looks like wishful thinking

Perhaps stewardship of money/agents/officiating/costs in football the past three decades wouldve prevented this, we'll never know now tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester City should be p1ssed Spurs are ahead of them as a big 6 club considering they have won trophies than them in the last 20 years :pac:

Levy has cleverly positioned us so that threats of omission from uefa comps and our best players wanting to leave hold no sting for us

Do your worst, uefa, is that all u got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

United fan of 52 years (Jaysus). Hope they and the rest are kicked out of their domestic leagues and the owners go bankrupt. A lot of what is wrong in the world summed up in this move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

Leicester City should be p1ssed Spurs are ahead of them as a big 6 club considering they have won trophies than them in the last 20 years :pac:

Has absolutely nothing to do with trophies or history. It's just money. Google "Deloitte Money League" and its just the top teams from that who have formed this group.

I wouldnt even consider spurs a bigger club than West Ham. Never mind Leicester. The so called "top 6" including Arsenal and Spurs. Lol.

I was in favour of a Euro league. Said as much in the CL thread last week. But after talking to my brother and a mate about it today, they changed my mind. This will.completely kill whatever was left of the game at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I watched Danny Murphy and Dion Dublin say on MOTD how terrible it all is, and how it will destroy the game.

They must be in a time warp to the 60s or 70s. Have they not watched how their game has been destroyed in their own country by foreign money over the years? There is already a terrible imbalance in the EPL, between the have's and have-not's. Some can spend billions, others are fighting of bankruptcy constantly.

One laughable quote from Dublin said something along the lines of "football is a game of the people, the ordinary man in the street who works hard all week and likes to go to a game at the weekend".

'Ordinary' football fans were priced out of English football a long time ago.

A European Superleague was mooted as far back as 1998.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/football/199930.stm

• Advertisement

Its kind of ironic that the clubs they have enabled for years are now giving them the two fingers. Real Madrid as one example made a mockery of FIFA Fair Play for years

That said, I have more time for them than i do for Barca with their 'Mes Que en club' hypocritical nonsense. Having followed Arsenal myself for years I'm very disappointed to see them shaft their fans further and take this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

rob316 wrote: »
    JP Morgan are throwing 6bn behind it against future TV and sponsorship revenue.

There lies the rub for this greed driven proposal. Football supporters should not support it. Let them set it up and watch it fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Paywalls everywhere Sky who helped create the current greed in football with the money they pumped into it are just worried there paywall will collapse now.
    Very strong words about greed and venality in football from
    @GNev2
    , but like Micah's they are rather undermined by the fact they are being delivered from behind a Sky Sports paywall.

https://twitter.com/bglendenning/status/1383830851461410821?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They haven’t even thought it out yet. They’re plan appears to be 15 clubs sitting there year in year out collecting the dough even though in terms of silverware some of them like Spurs and Arsenal have been perennial losers in recent years. Then there’s another 5 who get in by merit? That makes 20. Do they then shut the door with those 20 or are the 5 second class citizens who could lose their spot depending on how they perform whereas the 15 keep their spot no matter how badly they fare on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

TheCitizen wrote: »
    They haven’t even thought it out yet. They’re plan appears to be 15 clubs sitting there year in year out collecting the dough even though in terms of silverware some of them like Spurs and Arsenal have been perennial losers in recent years. Then there’s another 5 who get in by merit? That makes 20. Do they then shut the door with those 20 or are the 5 second class citizens who could lose their spot depending on how they perform whereas the 15 keep their spot no matter how badly they fare on the pitch?

My understanding is the founding 15 are always in the league. The additional 5 slots are for (presumably) a rating of the 5 other best teams from domestic leagues - either the BIG 5 leagues, or a coefficient based on all European leagues. These 5 places change annually.

I'm a City supporter (for now) and am disgusted by this. No team deserves a permanent seat at a table. Set up a new league for sure, but no relegation for founding members? Boll0x. A glorified NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So how would you get relegated out of the Super League to let in new clubs?

What if the bottom 5 clubs are all founding members? They can't be relegated out, so teams that finish higher than them are pushed out to let fresh blood in?

Sounds totally stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd rather watch Fulham vs Accrington Stanley with a bit of passion and a real fan base than watch putrid American greed ****e
    No you wouldn't.

Because if you did you would already have shunned the likes of the EPL or the UCL long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

So how would you get relegated out of the Super League to let in new clubs?

What if the bottom 5 clubs are all founding members? They can't be relegated out, so teams that finish higher than them are pushed out to let fresh blood in?

Sounds totally stupid.

yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I watched Danny Murphy and Dion Dublin say on MOTD how terrible it all is, and how it will destroy the game.

They must be in a time warp to the 60s or 70s. Have they not watched how their game has been destroyed in their own country by foreign money over the years? There is already a terrible imbalance in the EPL, between the have's and have-not's. Some can spend billions, others are fighting of bankruptcy constantly.

One laughable quote from Dublin said something along the lines of "football is a game of the people, the ordinary man in the street who works hard all week and likes to go to a game at the weekend".

'Ordinary' football fans were priced out of English football a long time ago.
    Yea that's why I think all the outrage here from the fans of top 6 EPL teams is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Man Utd fan here, absolutely devastated by last night’s events. Couldn’t sleep that well because of it. We’ve got some seriously selfish pricks in fifa and UEFA but the owners of these 12 clubs are worse than anyone. It will be interesting to get the managers’ views on this breaking news. For sure Klopp won’t hold back as he’s a man of the people and he’s never one to sit on the fence. Luckily, Liverpool are playing tonight so we won’t have to wait too long for some reaction..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The one time women's football isn't an afterthought is for this **** show

• Advertisement
Advertisement