Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Super League - plans announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Shame on all those clubs. Gary Neville is absolutely spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

gary neville letting them have at

He'll be commentating on the games next season if Sky have the rights :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

All of the football pundits over the next few days will be giving it the large one about how bad this is. But you can bet your bottom that they'll be back in August to cover Real Madrid v Arsenal in the season opener.

And hyping it to high heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It would be a very interesting league, but UEFA should do more, maybe turn the CL into a league rather than a knockout tournament with various divisions, with promotion and relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The top clubs hold a lot of power and are responsible for a huge amount of money that goes to third parties, yet they only get an equal share of the money that every other club in the league gets too.
    Sheffield United won only 4 games all season yet get 90m..... come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

GWAN GARY!

Why is the NFL shallow ?

As a league it's far superior to any soccer league in Europe.

That's it! I'm moving to LA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Neville hitting the nail on the head. Hope anyone gullible enough to stand up for this idea is listening to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There's not much point in shouting about "punish them" tbh. As has been said, the pl needs the clubs more than the clubs need the league and that's the honest truth of it. There's no point pretending otherwise and throwing toys out of the pram. Much better taking the pragmatic approach and working with them.

The worry for the league's , understandibly , is that it leads to them leaving the league's behind fully down the road. So that needs to be factored in too.

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    I support Everton, with the Big 6 gone we should go back to challenging for the league, but would be hollow victory without the Big 6 teams, thats why Premier league threat is hollow too. I certainly dont enjoy watching Burnley and other mid-table stuff. If we are honest, it has been slowly drifting this way for years - not sure what the answer is ?

It's a new European League, but they don't leave the Premier League... that was my belief........
    It was replacing the CL.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Gary Neville after finishing his rant

tenor.gif?itemid=15681046

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

Gary neville was fairly spot on but it was like a wrestling promo mid wrestlemania .

The top clubs hold a lot of power and are responsible for a huge amount of money that goes to third parties, yet they only get an equal share of the money that every other club in the league gets too.

Its one of the things I like about the pl system. Not a fan at all of the top few creaming off a much bigger share of the money. All it does is widen the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

It's a new European League, but they don't leave the Premier League... that was my belief........

But the EPL are threatening to ban teams that sign up - thats why I believe such a threat is hollow - who really wants to watch a league with more Burnley and Watford's , replacing the Big 6 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

gary neville letting them have at
    His full reaction video - https://streamable.com/n3zqnz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They tried to change that with project big picture but it was stopped. PL and uefa can't have their cake and eat it. This has been coming for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They'll be kicked out of their domestic leagues. Let them off.

The people who follow football should support what they leave behind and then abandon them and let them rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

But the EPL are threatening to ban teams that sign up - thats why I believe such a threat is hollow - who really wants to watch a league with more Burnley and Watford's , replacing the Big 6 ?

uefa can ban the european players from national comps, and thats something these players wont want to give up.

sky were pointing out how fifa have remined silent so far, so maybe they are on board as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

To remove the romance of an Atalanta or Leicester making the champions league and having deep runs is very sad.

Like even if they don't end up leaving their domestic leagues top 4 race is half the excitement of leagues these days as its rare there's a tight title chase. Its eliminating so much and adding nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Zebra3 wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/top-english-clubs-in-bombshell-talks-to-join-european-premier-league-12109175

News breaking in the last hour or so.

FIFA backed makes it very serious.

Not UEFA backed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I doubt many dreamed of playing for Sheffield United in the PL, and that dream would be dead now anyway.

The best players want to play for the big name teams.

Everyone knows who will be around top 6 or bottom 6 in the various leagues.

A league with the best teams would be something UEFA would have by now if they had done a proper job. Instead they have panic.

Is that announcement due at 9 tonight ?

If that happens , ther will be no going back.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    They'll be kicked out of their domestic leagues. Let them off.

The people who follow football should support what they leave behind and then abandon them and let them rot.

Just up and support a different team? Liverpool fans just start supporting Everton? Utd/city fans maybe go to Salford or Bolton? Arsenal , Chelsea and spurs fans can just buy west ham jerseys?

New CL format coming monday could help ease the tensions with plans to allow bigger clubs into CL regardless of fact they did not finish in top 4 in league table. Past performances and a seeding position will be enough, Liverpool for example might not get 4th this season, but under new rules will qualify because of seeding and recent CL results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

These clubs are deluded, they actually do need the league more than the league needs them.

Premier League football has the biggest TV deals because of the league and the way funds are distributed, resulting in a more competitive product.

A closed shop European Super League would get old pretty soon, this is not America, European culture is far more diverse and complicated.

I believe the leagues they leave behind would eventually recover and be just as well-supported again down the line.

Is that announcement due at 9 tonight ?

If that happens , ther will be no going back.

I'm picturing lots of running around and secret code words going on now, like when Ari gold was leaving the firm in entourage :) (insert other similar TV show/film scene of your choice)

Seeding in CL would be good, but not at the expense of those clubs who earn a top 4 finish.

How do spurs get invited to this? When the last time they won their league or a European cup?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Gary Neville after finishing his rant

tenor.gif?itemid=15681046

Haha. good rant. He is 100 5percent right though. Anyone involved with this should be hammered for even talking about it. Relegate them and if they don't like they can fúck off and rot.

New CL format coming monday could help ease the tensions with plans to allow bigger clubs into CL regardless of fact they did not finish in top 4 in league table. Past performances and a seeding position will be enough, Liverpool for example might not get 4th this season, but under new rules will qualify because of seeding and recent CL results.

Even that is a complete an utter disgrace. What's the point in a league system if you take the point of competition out of it. Absolutely stinks of unfair advantages.

• Advertisement

Its one of the things I like about the pl system. Not a fan at all of the top few creaming off a much bigger share of the money. All it does is widen the gap.

Top clubs have more bills to pay, so could be split in a way to reflect that.

Sheffield United have no players on 300k a week.

How about not spending beyond your means then? Not Sheff Utd's fault that those big teams are spunking 300k a week on individual players. Why should the smaller teams take a hit?

I'm picturing lots of running around and secret code words going on now, like when Ari gold was leaving the firm in entourage :) (insert other similar TV show/film scene of your choice)

and a last minute invitation for Everton !

Something tells me it might not happen, probably playing poker with UEFA as ther announcement is due tomorrow, holding out for best deal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

rob316 wrote: »
    How do spurs get invited to this? When the last time they won their league or a European cup?

Probably a mix of recent CL football and a shiny big stadium.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Even that is a complete an utter disgrace. What's the point in a league system if you take the point of competition out of it. Absolutely stinks of unfair advantages.

If top 4 still get CL football it's still competitive, and seeding only lasts so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Perhaps teams could be allocated points based on wage bill or turnover instead aswell ?

Just up and support a different team? Liverpool fans just start supporting Everton? Utd/city fans maybe go to Salford or Bolton? Arsenal , Chelsea and spurs fans can just buy west ham jerseys?

If you support the clubs involved in this are you not disgusted with them? As Gary Neville says

If top 4 still get CL football it's still competitive, and seeding only lasts so long

If there's teams essentially getting guaranteed revenue from champions league football without earning it that completely brings an unfair competitive advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The players and managers of the clubs involved should come out with a statement to say they will play no part in this ESL format and then let the billionaire snake owners hire a team of mercenaries with the 350 million to play in their soul less new league with plastic fans to support them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

How do Clubs expect to square this with not only their own fanbase, but as a PR exercise as a whole because it reads like a disaster.

I can only hope that as another poster pointed out that it's not going to go ahead and is only be used as some kind of negotiating tool.

I said it last time but the premier League clubs would regret not voting for project big picture, it was there last chance to stop a super League.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    If you support the clubs involved in this are you not disgusted with them? As Gary Neville says

Should the same not have happened when the top clubs in England formed a breakaway league 30 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How do Clubs expect to square this with not only their own fanbase, but as a PR exercise as a whole because it reads like a disaster.

I can only hope that as another poster pointed out that it's not going to go ahead and is only be used as some kind of negotiating tool.

Do these clubs think they can break away from the domestic fanbase? Really does look like the yank franchise bullsh*t. Games will be eventually played in Beijing and all over the place. It doesn’t stop here, this rips up everything

I said it last time but the premier League clubs would regret not voting for project big picture, it was there last chance to stop a super League.

I doubt they regret not giving up all control to the perceived "big 6". They were dead right back then too. Shouldnt concede a disadvantage in order to save themselves from further disadvantage in the future.

The players and managers of the clubs involved should come out with a statement to say they will play no part in this ESL format and then let the billionaire snake owners hire a team of mercenaries with the 350 million to play in their soul less new league with plastic fans to support them.

I doubt this is the first they're hearing about it.

• Advertisement

I doubt this is the first they're hearing about it.

Hard to have any affinity for them if they support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

None of that matters. It's all about money and Spurs are 9th in the Deloitte money league and have a new stadium.

The top 14 clubs in that Deloitte table were invited. 11 accepted and Dortmund, Bayern and PSG turned them down. The only other team invited was AC Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Once UEFA threatened to ban players in breakaway clubs from their national sides, this was dead in the water.
    I can imagine the response Kane, Pogba, DeBruyne etc will give when they're told they won't be playing the Euros or World Cup.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's clauses in their contracts they can exploit if their clubs break away.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I doubt they regret not giving up all control to the perceived "big 6". They were dead right back then too. Shouldnt concede a disadvantage in order to save themselves from further disadvantage in the future.

That's an idealistic view point. The threat of this league was on the table, they rolled the dice and now the whole of football is in a poker game.

Oat23 wrote: »
    None of that matters. It's all about money and Spurs are 9th in the Deloitte money league and have a new stadium.

The top 14 clubs in that Deloitte table were invited. 11 accepted and Dortmund, Bayern and PSG turned them down. The only other team invited was AC Milan.

Surprised PSG turned down the invite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement