Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Super League - plans announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

How many apologies to the fans have there been from the Sickening Six? Just Arsenal is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Both Milan clubs heading for the exit door. It'll just be Real and Barcelona left playing each other every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Liamalone wrote: »
    How many apologies to the fans have there been from the Sickening Six? Just Arsenal is it?

just arsenal. and the only club who said "we are founding a member of this", the rest linked to the generic statement.

so their PR department gets a less minus score than the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Be great if the Madristas forced him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Liamalone wrote: »

UEFA and FIFA are corrupt as fu*k. Funny to see football fans now on their side.

Premier league is all about money so I don't have any issue with owners wanting to increase revenue. Liverpool received as much money winning Premier league last year as team who finished 20th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Be great if the Madristas forced him out.

Madrid have some of the worst fans in the world. He'll spend €100m on someone this summer and all this will be forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

New CL format needs chasing out of town now. More games, more minnows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The irony of it all.

Irish clubs struggling to get more that 1000 at a match as thousands spend €400/500 a couple of times a year to follow British football clubs.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

The joke is on you.

550855.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

rossie1977 wrote: »
    UEFA and FIFA are corrupt as fu*k. Funny to see football fans now on their side.

Premier league is all about money so I don't have any issue with owners wanting to increase revenue. Liverpool received as much money winning Premier league last year as team who finished 20th.

I would like to think most folks know what You've said, someone has to organise something though. This was greed on a superior level that had the possibility of ruining the game as we know it all in the name of greed and creating an 'elite' group all decided on current standing. Frack Leicester, frack West 'Am, frack football. We're alright so frack 'em all.

Greed, greed, greed. Corporate entities, not clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The irony of it all.

Irish clubs struggling to get more that 1000 at a match as thousands spend €400/500 a couple of times a year to follow British football clubs.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

The joke is on you.

*silly image*

Yes because trying to tell other people what they should and shouldn't like and support always goes down well...... :rolleyes:

Also, to suggest that the sh*t situation Irish football is in at the moment is due to football fans and not the gross mismanagement and corruption of the FAI is hilarious man. That one IS a good joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

rossie1977 wrote: »

They get the same equal share of the domestic tv money but there’s different levels of prize money.

I think in total Liverpool got around £175m and Norwich in 20th got £90m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

New CL format needs chasing out of town now. More games, more minnows.

I agree with the first part, but the 2nd is a load of rubbish. What exactly is a minnow in your book? A national champion? Why shouldn’t they compete?

The problem is the 2 places for teams who don’t qualify by right, not the fact that the Hungarian champions might make the group stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Great to see all the developments overnight. Woodward being ousted is particularly sweet for United fans I imagine. Kroenke next for Arsenal please and thanks? :P

I hope this doesn't just end here though with Sky proclaiming themselves the champions of the downtrodden. This pushback has been welcome, now go further.

Go after Sky for price gouging
    After the clubs themselves for driving up prices of match day tickets
    After UEFA for their god awful new CL format and indeed years of mismanagement

None of this will sadly happen though. The status quo will be maintained, Boris Johnson has got a few extra voters for the Tories for tough talk but not actually doing anything and Sky and UEFA will continue on like nothing was wrong in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Kirby wrote: »
    Yes because trying to tell other people what they should and shouldn't like and support always goes down well...... :rolleyes:

Also, to suggest that the sh*t situation Irish football is in at the moment is due to football fans and not the gross mismanagement and corruption of the FAI is hilarious man. That one IS a good joke.

Can't it be due to both?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Kirby wrote: »

To be fair he has a point. Liverpool and Man United who nearly everyone into soccer “supports” in this country have shown their true colours.

I was accused of tribalism in here for criticising Klopp for him using this opportunity to attack Neville and Leeds re their t shirts to play to the Liverpool fan gallery.

Time for these grown men (I presume they are grown men) to grow up., Liverpool, Man City, Man United, the lot of them were prepared to discard the rest of the football world and didn’t give a damn about the “fans”, just to make a few extra quid who they then would have just given to often average players on inflated wages.

There should be a reckoning now with these “super” clubs. Stop supporting them, they have shown complete and utter contempt for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

TheCitizen wrote: »
    To be fair he has a point. Liverpool and Man United who nearly everyone into soccer “supports” in this country have shown their true colours.

I was accused of tribalism in here for criticising Klopp for him using this opportunity to attack Neville and Leeds re their t shirts to play to the Liverpool fan gallery.

Time for these grown men (I presume they are grown men) to grow up., Liverpool, Man City, Man United, the lot of them were prepared to discard the rest of the football world and didn’t give a damn about the “fans”, just to make a few extra quid who they then would have just given to often average players on inflated wages.

There should be a reckoning now with these “super” clubs. Stop supporting them, they have shown complete and utter contempt for you.

So you saying the owner represents the entire club? Many fans of liverpool and man united have been fans long before it was the in thing to buy a football club....

Are we to judge all clubs then on their owners or chief executive? because if we go down that root im sure a pretty lively debate can be had elsewhere about club owners and what they do in the background away from the football pitch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool's owner John W taking full responsibility for it.
    I want to apologise to all the fans and supporters of Liverpool Football Club for the disruption I caused over the past 48 hours.

It goes without saying but should be said that the project put forward was never going to stand without the support of the fans. No-one ever thought differently in England. Over these 48 hours you were very clear that it would not stand. We heard you. I heard you.

And I want to apologise to Jürgen, to Billy, to the players and to everyone who works so hard at LFC to make our fans proud. They have absolutely no responsibility for this disruption. They were the most disrupted and unfairly so. This is what hurts most. They love your club and work to make you proud every single day.

I know the entire LFC team has the expertise, leadership and passion necessary to rebuild trust and help us move forward. More than a decade ago when we signed up for the challenges associated with football, we dreamed of what you dreamed of. And we’ve worked hard to improve your club. Our work isn’t done. And I hope you’ll understand that even when we make mistakes, we’re trying to work in your club’s best interests. In this endeavour I’ve let you down.

Again, I’m sorry, and I alone am responsible for the unnecessary negativity brought forward over the past couple of days. It’s something I won’t forget. And shows the power the fans have today and will rightly continue to have.

If there’s one thing this horrible pandemic has clearly shown, it’s how crucial fans are to our sport and to every sport. It’s shown in every empty stadium. It’s been an incredibly tough year for all of us; virtually no-one unaffected. It’s important that the Liverpool football family remains intact, vital and committed to what we’ve seen from you globally, with local gestures of kindness and support. I can promise you I will do whatever I can to further that.

Thanks for listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Yeah they're saying now that he could invite Napoli, a few teams from Greece and Turkey and rebrand it the Southern European Super League or some shíte like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Hollow stuff his apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Hollow stuff his apology.

Exactly, he's not a stupid man. He knew what the reaction would be.

Bit of a hollow victory, top level football is still broken and will likely get more so over the next few years. UEFA, SKY, BT, PL are not good guys.

I have loved football for years, I shrugged my shoulders at this. I am apathetic to it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

coming out of all of this it's the arsenal owners i respect most.

every other club gave a link to a prepared statement. arsenal actually said we are joining.

then they apologise for a mistake.

at least they owned both decisions.
    It’s gas Arsenal getting credit here and on social media for their fake apology.

Maybe it’s only ‘legacy fans’ who read through it all to see what it says, rather than those who do a quick scan and ‘it says “sorry”, fair play to them’.

Here’s an extract:

Stability is essential for the game to prosper and we will continue to strive to bring the security the game needs to move forward.

The system needs to be fixed. We must work together to find solutions which protect the future of the game and harness the extraordinary power football has to get us on the edge of our seats.

So Arsenal are saying the system needs to be fixed, so that they have the stability of champions league football every year!?

The single part of the plan that got everyone up in arms is the part are still defending. But they’re sorry! Clearly they’re not.

Sorry Arsenal. You don’t get to have guaranteed stability and security. You need to win games to get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Now that it's over we can all go back to supporting our clubs and pretend the owners are not in just for the money.

I hope all the clubs are punished with points deductions - they'll never step out of line again.

jayo26 wrote: »
    So you saying the owner represents the entire club? Many fans of liverpool and man united have been fans long before it was the in thing to buy a football club....

Are we to judge all clubs then on their owners or chief executive? because if we go down that root im sure a pretty lively debate can be had elsewhere about club owners and what they do in the background away from the football pitch..

You’re going to defend them? They’re counting on you to do just that and they’ve shown that they don’t give a damn about you. They’re taking you for granted.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Madrid are fairly desperate for money as far as I know so he has no choice but to continue to beat this drum.

• Advertisement

You’re going to defend them? They’re counting on you to do just that and they’ve shown that they don’t give a damn about you. They’re taking you for granted.

I dont think you will find one united fan that will defend the Glazers they were hated before this week everyone knows why they are in the club and I'd assume this week is a wakeup for many liverpool fans too.

You are suggesting liverpool and united fans stop supporting the clubs because of actions of the owners away from the football pitch. Glasshouses and stones spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

marvin80 wrote: »
    Now that it's over we can all go back to supporting our clubs and pretend the owners are not in just for the money.

I hope all the clubs are punished with points deductions - they'll never step out of line again.

Expected statements coming from UEFA/FA

Our prodigal sons have returned. Kill the fatted calf and let us all rejoice.

marvin80 wrote: »

There won't be any sanctions like that - I'd be stunned if there was. A few strongly worded statements and everyone gets back to normality.

I dont think you will find one united fan that will defend the Glazers they were hated before this week everyone knows why they are in the club and I'd assume this week is a wakeup for many liverpool fans too.

You are suggesting liverpool and united fans stop supporting the clubs because of actions of the owners away from the football pitch. Glasshouses and stones spring to mind.
    Why does glasshouses and stones spring to your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

awec wrote: »
    Madrid are fairly desperate for money as far as I know so he has no choice but to continue to beat this drum.

I was reading an article the other day about how the superleague was essentially a bailout for Madrid and Barca provided by the big PL teams. Those clubs already have a complete monopoly on their leagues which in turn practically guarantees them CL football every year and they still couldn't prevent financial ruin. They deserve this.

After decades of acting like they have a divine right to all the best players, I have zero sympathy for them.

• Advertisement

Hollow stuff. He's basically saying that he is so far out of touch with the sentiment of the supporters that he didn't realise people would be against this. Unfortunately can see some Liverpool fans are falling for his BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Hollow stuff. He's basically saying that he is so far out of touch with the sentiment of the supporters that he didn't realise people would be against this. Unfortunately can see some Liverpool fans are falling for his BS.

Lets just say he's extremely fortunate the club have recently won the PL and CL, it might see him through this. It shouldn't, but it might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Leeds T-shirts idea spreading, La Liga teams planning to wear them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The super league plans to reshape- they haven’t gone away you know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Rumours of new teams to be announced today including Shamrock Rovers, Bate Borisov, Crvena Zvezda, Mlada Boleslav and Malta's Hamrun Spartans. Interesting stuff.

is_that_so wrote: »

Seemingly this was a premier league initiative?? Nearly sure i read that somewhere yesterday. I think the players and managers that spoke out are the true hero's and leeds played their part too.

Dr. Bre wrote: »

They can go where ever they want as long as premier league clubs are out.

They can go where ever they want as long as premier league clubs are out.

Which premier league is this that you’re talking about

Seemingly this was a premier league initiative?? Nearly sure i read that somewhere yesterday. I think the players and managers that spoke out are the true hero's and leeds played their part too.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

is_that_so wrote: »

Wouldn't be surprised if Perez countered by having the Real team go out with tshirts listing the club's trophy haul and a slogan saying "We have earned it".

A good old fashioned tshirt war would be the cherry on top of the recent entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Which premier league is this that you’re talking about

Would you say he might be talking about the English premier league by any chance?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Would you say he might be talking about the English premier league by any chance?

He should call it that then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Google premier league there and see what comes back.

I suppose we need to call this country "The Republic of Ireland", in order to avoid you looking at us lost whenever someone mentions the confusing "Ireland"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

So in your day to day you refer to everything by its full legal name? You don't go in for slang terms, colloquialisms, generally understood terms etc

Maybe you do, and maybe the world needs more people like you, straight laced and proper. I don't think it's necessary to force others to comply to your views though on everything is it? Bit of leeway given on an anonymous message board for example?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The full official title of the league is The Premier League. Its on all their branding. Its quite hard to miss. What name did you think it was called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Safe to say nothing will happen any of them

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1384735521210085379

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

xtal191 wrote: »

I think any sanctions are more likely to come from the Premier League, as they broke their rules if they signed contracts to enter the ESL. My guess is though they'll do nothing, fearing the wrath of the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

xtal191 wrote: »

Exactly. Did people really think that they'd remove or relegate what are still the biggest draws in the European competitions? Shows a stunning naivety if that's the case.

They'll need to quickly find a way to resolve the root issue, or some of these companies will go to the wall - leaving the leagues without them anyway. A fire sale at two of the big clubs would tank the transfer market and have wide repercussions.

The ESL is dead, the enormous money problems remain.

Exactly. Did people really think that they'd remove or relegate what are still the biggest draws in the European competitions? Shows a stunning naievity if that's the case.

They'll need to quickly find a way to resolve the root issue, or some of these companies will go to the wall - leaving the leagues without them anyway. A fire sale at two of the big clubs would tank the transfer market and have wide repercussions.

The ESL is dead, the enormous money problems remain.

It’s unsustainable. Give them more money and they just inflate players and managers wages. It’s not a new problem but the Covid crisis accelerated it. There’s a few die hard EPL fans on here and elsewhere that will go back to sleep. I’m not sure the bandwagon will continue indefinitely though without a significant reset. We’ll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What will a punishment actually achieve.

Let's say ManU are docked points for eg. They miss out on the CL next year. 1st off, can't see that standing up in CAS, which then opens the FA to massive costs.

Second, it seems that people that have been calling for the purity of earned success in sport are more than happy to kick teams out of an earned place because they annoyed them.

This type of action will only harden the Glazers POV that the PL is too open to risks and the need to guarantee ESL is even more imperative than it was.

ManU will likely demand that they get their actual share of the next TV deal, rather than the equal spread as is the case now. Base it on viewing numbers. ManU should be getting multiple times the cut that teams like Burnley are getting.

If they start pushing for that, the EPL is dead anyway (as we know it) and the ESL comes in via a different route.

Advertisement