Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Super League - plans announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Once UEFA threatened to ban players in breakaway clubs from their national sides, this was dead in the water.
    I can imagine the response Kane, Pogba, DeBruyne etc will give when they're told they won't be playing the Euros or World Cup.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's clauses in their contracts they can exploit if their clubs break away.

It's an empty threat though, what do uefa have to gain by banning the best players in the world from their competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't think this is a good idea or support it in any way. I do think a European Super League is inevitable though, it just depends how long it takes but it's going to happen eventually.

There are already a handful of top European clubs that have control of the major European leagues, it's basically already a closed shop. The only hope of a new club rising to the top of European football is via a new billionaire owner. Most of the damage Gary Neville is talking about here has already been done... Sky having a fairly large hand in that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Where was Neville when the Glazers put Utd 500 million in debt, I did not here him speak out then, but now he is talking out because his big pay job at Sky might become redundant, and the gas thing is that he is a smaller version of the Glazers with Salford buying their way up the bottom leagues, he is a hypocrite........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Surprised PSG turned down the invite.

Their chairman is the head of beIN who pay massive amounts of money to broadcast the CL in the Middle East and France. He's also a member of that UEFA executive committee that Delaney used to be on.

Purely looking out for his own interests but PSG will likely join later on.

As for Bayern and Dortmund there would be war in Bavaria/Dortmund if they were involved. The bosses would be forced out of the club and they know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Qatar World Cup in the background, they are not getting involved incase it takes off and players are banned it the WC is effected in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I was thinking surely if they boot them out of the EPL, youth players are affected too and they will no longer be able to compete as part of the FA structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Should the same not have happened when the top clubs in England formed a breakaway league 30 years ago?

That breakaway happened to involve all of the clubs who would have been involved in next season's First Division and also had promotion and relegation from the Football League.

It's not a like for like comparison !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

rob316 wrote: »
    That's an idealistic view point. The threat of this league was on the table, they rolled the dice and now the whole of football is in a poker game.

So you're taking a stance that the smaller clubs have to take a lot of blame here? Yeah I can't get onboard with that one.

Greed of the big clubs is all this is in both situations and they shouldn't be allowed win out either way. Glad the smaller clubs aren't being bullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Should the same not have happened when the top clubs in England formed a breakaway league 30 years ago?

This is totally different. This is a proposal to break away from the pyramid structure of football. No relegation or promotion. A closed shop, invited in if you're rich enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

They're not going to burn bridges with the organisation that helped them get around FFP rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

IF it happens, I would expect PSG to sign -

Possibly Ajax , or Porto or even Celtic too ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

This is rich against poor. I'm a man u fan. If this goes ahead I'm not supporting them anymore.
    I hate the glazers. Dumb American idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

The breakaway league bit is overstated. Yes clubs in the PL got more power and better TV contracts, but the league contained the same 22 teams as would have been in the 1st division if there was no breakaway. No club was kicked out or invited in because they were or weren’t a ‘big’ club.

There is also a route into the PL for any club with promotion/relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TheCitizen wrote: »
    . A closed shop, invited in if you're rich enough.

You have to be invited to the premier League. They could close it tomorrow if they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

thebaz wrote: »
    IF it happens, I would expect PSG to sign -

Possibly Ajax , or Porto or even Celtic too ?

They will enter the European super championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

There are already a handful of top European clubs that have control of the major European leagues, it's basically already a closed shop. The only hope of a new club rising to the top of European football is via a new billionaire owner. Most of the damage Gary Neville is talking about here has already been done... Sky having a fairly large hand in that too.

The fact there's even a "big 6" in England makes this statement not really true though no? Leicester have won the league the right way. West Ham look like they could make the top 4. Leeds seem like they're trending the right way.

If anything this is a move to save that closed shop. Likes of Arsenal are clearly feeling the threat of these well run clubs that are breaking into the top 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DAZN are involved with this which raises the prospect of a major competition/league being distributed and shown live by IPTV in major western markets. This is what Sky will be afraid of no point in trying to get CL rights back, a PL shorn of its primary assets. Why subscribe? Thier whole business model could be damaged and the wider Sky operation under pressure as income falls dramatically.

This technically doesn't need approval from FIFA or UEFA right? Is it allowable to have a rival footballing federation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

rob316 wrote: »
    It's an empty threat though, what do uefa have to gain by banning the best players in the world from their competition?

Perhaps some of those best players won't leave as a result, protecting the standard of UEFA competitions.

If this Super League doesn't end up attracting the World's best players it'll be dead in the water within a few years, so it's certainly in UEFA's best interests to try and keep the World's best player out of it.

• Advertisement

Chong wrote: »
    This technically doesn't need approval from FIFA or UEFA right? Is it allowable to have a rival footballing federation?

Yeah. There's nothing stopping anyone setting one up. The only issue comes if you want to compete in another federation's competitions or with their teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Yes, but teams would need to leave the national leagues

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Yes, but teams would need to leave the national leagues

Stupid question do FIFA have the rights over the game itself? As in terminology, rules etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

How do Clubs expect to square this with not only their own fanbase, but as a PR exercise as a whole because it reads like a disaster.

I can only hope that as another poster pointed out that it's not going to go ahead and is only be used as some kind of negotiating tool.

They don't care.

This is just a plan to try and get investors in the biggest clubs in Europe a big financial return. All using massive loans from banks.

Fans are just customers. They have been for many years. This is just a natural extension of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

The imbalance of money would be even more crazily weighted to these sides if this went ahead. I'd say every side competing would have basically 2 sides each in their squads of all the best players in the world. You'd have so many world class players never getting on the pitch and just filling squads. Who'd want to be left stranded at a side outside this competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Uefa too are only money grabbing by trying to prevent a Super League, need to remember that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

martyos121 wrote: »
    Not often I find myself agreeing with Gary Neville, but everything he’s just said on Sky Sports is spot on, and I’m delighted to hear established names involved with the clubs signed up to this coming out and condemning it.

“A criminal act against the fans”.

100% accurate. Hopefully he’s the first of many to speak so openly about it.

Of course once Sky Sports get into the bidding war for TV rights to the new super league, you won’t hear another word against it.

Rings hollow with him with a big mic with Sky Sports emblazoned all over it and them being his employer. The PL, Sky, BT and the owners of the big money clubs all bear considerable responsibility for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Be some craic if uefa issue a response

All involved clubs fined 500 million
    All involved clubs relegated to 3rd division
    All players and staff who take part in new proposed competition banned for life from uefa affiliated teams.

Put the cat among the pigeons

You have to be invited to the premier League. They could close it tomorrow if they wanted.
    what are you talking about?

All players and staff who take part in new proposed competition banned for life from uefa affiliated teams.

If this goes ahead they wouldn't be competing in uefa competition anymore so they can't really fine them.

Uefa don't have the power to relegate teams in their domestic league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Uefa too are only money grabbing by trying to prevent a Super League, need to remember that.

It's only about money,from both sides of the argument,var has ruined football more than this will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That would only confirm what the clubs who signed up for the SL are claiming, that uefa have too much power and control over clubs they have nothing to do with.

what are you talking about?

The premier League decides who they elect to the league. Its a courtesy that it's the top 2 in the championships plus the play off winners.

Same way they could decide that from now on the teams in 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th are being sent forward to the champions League of they want.

The pl broke away from the fa. Its a separate entity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The important questions are

Will the clubs fill their stadiums every week?
    Will the global audience buy subscriptions?
    Will private companies sponsor the competition?
    Will the elite footballers stay or join the 12 for increased wages?

The first one may not happen but they will still get big numbers. The answer is yes to the other 3 and we all know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Stupid question do FIFA have the rights over the game itself? As in terminology, rules etc?

Yes, because everyone has signed up to the FIFA version of football.

But if someone outside that system sets up their own league they can call it whatever they want, abolish offsides, have a mandatory woman on each team etc. Its analagous to american football where the NFL is king but there are smaller leagues with their own slightly different rules, but they never get too popular as the NFL is so big and the best players stay in the NFL for fame and fortune.

It's obviously a ploy to get more money and control. Make sure it backfires on them.

Neville is right punish them severely for it. Relegate the 3 in Italy and Spain. In England relegate the 6 of them, replace them with the top 5 from the championship and another one via the play off. Absolutely hammer them as hard as possible, and if they don't like it let them off and set up their own league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Playing devil's advocate here, what if Dublin got a team and the use of Croke Park over the winter months with the likes of Munich and Barcelona coming over every fortnight? Would you boycott it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

The premier League decides who they elect to the league. Its a courtesy that it's the top 2 in the championships plus the play off winners.

Same way they could decide that from now on the teams in 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th are being sent forward to the champions League of they want.

Yes but they do invite the club's to join every year without fail, this sh!tshow won't unless you're rich enough to buy your way or maybe buy one of clubs already in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

sabat wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate here, what if Dublin got a team and the use of Croke Park over the winter months with the likes of Munich and Barcelona coming over every fortnight? Would you boycott it?

I'll be buying a season ticket.

I reckon they will have a UAE Team, maybe Qatar and the Saudis will be dieing get involved. I won't be watching **** if the Saudis are in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Yes. I’d have zero interest

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yes but they do invite the club's to join every year without fail, this sh!tshow won't unless you're rich enough to buy your way or maybe buy one of clubs already in

I know that but this started in response to a post about the pl being different whereas the reality is if the 20 clubs decide they don't want anyone else in the club anymore they could.

• Advertisement

Yes

I know that but this started in response to a post about the pl being different whereas the reality is if the 20 clubs decide they don't want anyone else in the club anymore they could.

The Spanish have some sort of say in whether the promoted club can come up. I remember there being a fuss about Eibar a few years ago

They could but they don't and have never suggested they ever will so I don't see the similarities

A courtesy or not. It's what happens. There is relegation out of it and promotion into it.

RoryMac wrote: »
    They could but they don't and have never suggested they ever will so I don't see the similarities

Completely moot point by that poster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

howiya wrote: »
    Yes. I’d have zero interest

Even with super hot cheerleaders and nachos with cheese delivered to your seat?

Move the Man City franchise to Dublin, more millionaires here than Manchester who will pay 250 quid per game for a standard seat. Makes financial sense.

Move Liverpool franchise to Baku, your average working class liverpudlian won't be able to afford these games.

Completely moot point by that poster.

It isn't at all. The pl is open at the behest of its members. If they (or whatever majority of them that's needed)decide that the best way to protect themselves and their income is to do away with promotion and relegation then the can just do it.

An English super League if you will.......

• Advertisement

Even with super hot cheerleaders and nachos with cheese delivered to your seat?

No thanks

Advertisement