Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Made Bread

Options
  • 20-10-2020 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

My brown bread is consistently good but I tried white bread using the same ingredients as for brown but without the brown flour resulting in a flat top loaf. The recipe I use is 300ml water/milk mix, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbls oil, 3 cups strong flour, 3/4 tsp yeast, 3/4 tsp vitamin C. Obviously the same recipe didn't suit the white. Any suggestions?

2 Jpg images won't load

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am no expert but remember reading this

https://www.abreaducation.com/content/baking-bread-with-whole-wheat-flour
    HYDRATION CHANGES WHEN USING WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
    When using whole wheat flour it is necessary to use more water in your dough compared to using only white flour. This is because the germ and bran that are present in whole wheat flour can absorb more liquid than the endosperm.

For example, if you were to create two doughs, one entirely of white flour and the other entirely of whole wheat flour, and you used the same amount of water in each, the whole wheat dough would be significantly drier than the white flour dough. A change like this can have drastic effects on the final product. This is why it is necessary to add more water to doughs that contain whole wheat flour vs their white flour counter parts.

In general, the more whole wheat flour in the dough, the more water you will need to use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

When we got our breadmaker, it came with a leaflet of suggested bread recipes. If yours did, too, maybe have a look for a recipe for a white loaf?
    I don't want to recommend one, as we've found that the recipes can turn out very different between different brands of breadmakers (no idea why, though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As Shensen said, for bread machines I stick religiously to the recipes in the book that came with it. They've been tried and tested literally thousands of times, and in my experience are fool proof if you use "normal" strong plain white or wholemeal flour (I usually use Odlums).

Wholewheat flour is another story, and absorbs more water than wholemeal. During the first lockdown I couldn't get my usual flour for love or money, so ended up buying some wholewheat and white flour from a small organic outfit here in Wicklow. It's great flour but the gluten content isn't as high as the Odlums flour and it took several attempts to get anything resembling a decent loaf out of it. I tried adding extra gluten and vitamin C, more water, more yeast, but nothing really worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Appreciate the replies. Instruction booklet that came with the machine is useless. As mentioned, no problem with recipe for brown bread (courtesy Boards.ie) but the most recent attempt at white was disastrous, looked like a cow pat. The booklet specifies "warm" water for Basic bread without clarifying temperature. Online websites refer to hot water being 40-45 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Usually I consider warm same temp as you would use for babies bottle, test inside wrist, shouldn't burn you.

Advertisement