Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford- Covid 19

Options
  • 20-10-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

New thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

https://twitter.com/byrne_padraig/status/1319321735481667586?s=19

Gorey LEA the 2nd highest 14 day incidence rate in Leinster while Wexford LEA the lowest rate in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I've only just now read through the other thread, and given that it was closed by a mod and we don't know yet what view he'll take of this one, I hope it's okay to post the following here:

It's in reply to something posted on the first page of that thread, directly after mention of the test centre in Ferns "being there good reason" -
    their day couldn't have been any worse, lost the final at the death( illmaterial at this stage) and there post match shin dig will be remembered now as a super spreader. Heard most of their players tested positive.

As a member of Ferns GAA club myself, I'd just like to state that in case anybody thinks this refers to us, we've had no positive Covid cases in our club at all.

What happened in Ferns was that there was a post-match meal in a local establishment, which was a pretty subdued affair, given the result of the match. Just about everybody was gone by about 10.30 p.m.

It transpired that a couple of days later, one of the waiting staff who was working that night tested positive. All players, mentors, and others who had attended the function were deemed close contacts, and were called for testing. Not a single one of them tested positive.

And while our clubhouse is currently being used as a testing centre, this is not because of widespread outbreaks in either the GAA club or in the Ferns area generally. It's simply because it's a suitable premises which is pretty centrally located in the area it's designed to cover - the northern half of County Wexford (i.e. from Enniscorthy upwards), and certain parts of South Wicklow, such as Carnew, Tinahely, etc.

Our club is happy to help in the efforts to tackle Covid-19 by making our premises available, but we wouldn't want anybody to think that the main reason the HSE asked for it was because of a high number of cases in the Ferns area itself.

Message for Billy Ocean.

In reply to something you posted on the first page of that thread, in relation to Ferns GAA club -
    their day couldn't have been any worse, lost the final at the death( illmaterial at this stage) and there post match shin dig will be remembered now as a super spreader. Heard most of their players tested positive.

As a member of Ferns GAA club myself, I'd like to categorically state that apart from the bit about how we lost the match at the death, there is NOT a shred of truth in this.

There was a post-match meal in a local establishment, which was a pretty subdued affair, given the result of the match. Just about everybody was gone by about 10.30 p.m.

It transpired that a couple of days later, one of the waiting staff who was working that night tested positive. All players, mentors, and others who had attended the function were deemed close contacts, and were called for testing. NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM TESTED POSITIVE.

Yes, the clubhouse is currently being used as a testing centre, but that is NOT because of widespread outbreaks in either the GAA club or in the Ferns area generally. It's simply because it's a suitable premises which is pretty centrally located in the area it's designed to cover - the northern half of County Wexford (i.e. from Enniscorthy upwards), and certain parts of South Wicklow, such as Carnew, Tinahely, etc.

Our club is happy to help in the efforts to tackle Covid-19 by making our premises available
    i was talking about castletown not ferns. Apologies if any confusion or upset was caused certainly wasn't intended. I doubt people presumed your clubhouse been used as a testing centre was a correlation to cases in the area, as you said it would be a perfect location for testing centre in north or mid wexford.

For what's its worth if ye showed a bit more ambition you could have won that county final. 3 or 4 points on the board after 45 mins wouldn't cut it in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Okay, thanks for clarifying, and apologies for having such a rant at you. I presumed you were referring to Ferns both in terms of us having lost a final at the death, and also since Ferns was the only place actually mentioned in the post that you were replying to when you made that statement - it said "the pop in testing in ferns is there for good reason"

It's just that we have actually heard that it's being rumoured in other places that we were affected as badly as some other clubs, and yes, we've heard it rumoured too that the reason the Ferns GAA clubhouse was chosen at the time for the North Wexford/South Wicklow centre was because of so many cases in the area. We've even heard it rumoured that some people in St. Anne's area have suggested that they got it from Ferns people at the final itself, despite the fact that our close contacts came only after the match, and that all our lads tested negative.

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive after certain things back in August, when we had to suspend club activity for a week when there were two cases in the camogie club, and so many close contacts between the camogie club and GAA club. People definitely put two and two together and got five that week. Even had a person in Gorey say to me "I hear you have it bad in Ferns, seven of your players after testing positive?"

Thanks again for clarifying anyway. :)

Okay, thanks for clarifying, and apologies for having such a rant at you. I presumed you were referring to Ferns both in terms of us having lost a final at the death, and also since Ferns was the only place actually mentioned in the post that you were replying to when you made that statement - it said "the pop in testing in ferns is there for good reason"

It's just that we have actually heard that it's being rumoured in other places that we were affected as badly as some other clubs, and yes, we've heard it rumoured too that the reason the Ferns GAA clubhouse was chosen at the time for the North Wexford/South Wicklow centre was because of so many cases in the area. We've even heard it rumoured that some people in St. Anne's area have suggested that they got it from Ferns people at the final itself, despite the fact that our close contacts came only after the match, and that all our lads tested negative.

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive after certain things back in August, when we had to suspend club activity for a week when there were two cases in the camogie club, and so many close contacts between the camogie club and GAA club. People definitely put two and two together and got five that week. Even had a person in Gorey say to me "I hear you have it bad in Ferns, seven of your players after testing positive?"

Thanks again for clarifying anyway. :)
    no hassle at all, can understand why you misunderstood and would be upset, just 1 thing to clarify i never said the testing centre was in ferns for good reason, i was replying to a comment which another poster said that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

I think i was the one who posted about the test centre being ''there for a good reason'' and my comment was never aimed at one particular club .I wasn't even aware it was actually in the gaa club . I was referring to the fact that there was a problem in general in the north of the county and ferns would have been fairly central in the area . The pub i was referring to was also out the castletown direction , plus the neighbour [ a gaa man] who i was talking too never made any reference to the club in ferns . He did mention several others in both the north and south of the county , but not ''ferns''
    anyway , mind yourselves and stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

WELL DONE TO ALL OUR HEALTH CARE WORKERS CARE HOME STAFF CLEANERS AND BIN MEN THE REAL HEROES OF ALL THIS

Outbreak in Ramsgrange area unfortunately looks like it is rooted back to congregation at funeral/wake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭webpal

Outbreak in Ramsgrange area unfortunately looks like it is rooted back to congregation at funeral/wake

And a licensed premises?

webpal wrote: »
    And a licensed premises?
    Don't know the specifics, unfortunately a nursing home in Campile has had to ban family visits as a precaution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭webpal

I heard cases were high as a result, maybe 40 including 2 in icu, can’t find anything to back it up though so could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭CRI0ST0IR

Apparently there was over 150 people at this funeral/wake. They were all in the pub together too. Apparently the pub in question had a marquee and all set up for it too. Someone also flew in from England to this funeral and didn't isolate.

There is also a factory in Wexford Town that has had multiple cases now this week and the factory has been shut down today. With over 50 people going to get tested.

Loreto Secondary school in town has also had a positive case now today too, an alert has gone out to all parents.

CRI0ST0IR wrote: »
    Apparently there was over 150 people at this funeral/wake. They were all in the pub together too. Apparently the pub in question had a marquee and all set up for it too. Someone also flew in from England to this funeral and didn't isolate.

There is also a factory in Wexford Town that has had multiple cases now this week and the factory has been shut down today. With over 50 people going to get tested.

Loreto Secondary school in town has also had a positive case now today too, an alert has gone out to all parents.
    which factory is that? Reason I'm asking is a family member works in a factory in Wexford town, didn't hear anything myself,Accusations on social media that people awaiting test results attended the funeral in Ramsgrange, pub in the village getting slaughtered, post on the FB New Ross neighbourhood watch.

which factory is that? Reason I'm asking is a family member works in a factory in Wexford town, didn't hear anything myself,Accusations on social media that people awaiting test results attended the funeral in Ramsgrange, pub in the village getting slaughtered, post on the FB New Ross neighbourhood watch.

Sulzer is the factory.

Yeah I seen that post on Facebook alright now, and to be honest they are right to get slaughtered. If you are that ignorant and selfish to have 150 people at a funeral or whatever it was you should be ashamed of yourself. Just think of how many people will now be affected because of their selfishness and how many people wont be able to see their family because of their actions.

Sulzer is the factory.

Yeah I seen that post on Facebook alright now, and to be honest they are right to get slaughtered. If you are that ignorant and selfish to have 150 people at a funeral or whatever it was you should be ashamed of yourself. Just think of how many people will now be affected because of their selfishness and how many people wont be able to see their family because of their actions.
    much appreciated my sibling works in a different factory anyway, yeah it's reckless beyond belief you'd think lessons would be learned from the county finals aftermath, obviously not.

much appreciated my sibling works in a different factory anyway, yeah it's reckless beyond belief you'd think lessons would be learned from the county finals aftermath, obviously not.

Nope people are too ignorant to cop themselves on now. How many of those 150 people have been shopping now since being at that funeral, been to work or sent their children to school. Completely wreckless. The governments rule is 25 people at a funeral...

Nope people are too ignorant to cop themselves on now. How many of those 150 people have been shopping now since being at that funeral, been to work or sent their children to school. Completely wreckless. The governments rule is 25 people at a funeral...
    it's a real kick in the you know where for people who have done everything right and sacrificed alot and their chances of seeing relatives over xmas could be in jeopardy.

BREAKING: #Wexford has seen a huge spike in Covid-19 numbers today with 45 new cases confirmed. The incidence rate now stands at 88.8.
    Nationally today saw 484 new cases and 3 additional deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

The cases in Sulzer also originated from the funeral in Ramsgrange.

fondriest wrote: »
    The cases in Sulzer also originated from the funeral in Ramsgrange.

Yeah heard that too...

Rumours also of people returning from the US for the funeral.

Rumours also of people returning from the US for the funeral.

Apparently, someone that works in Sulzers daughter or son returned home for the funeral, heard that one too.

59 cases today, any outbreaks outside of those already documented?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paulie1983

All cases are connected to Ramsgrange/Sportsman Pub incident the Garda in the area have asked all people that were there to go for a test/self-isolate but its probably a bit late for that

paulie1983 wrote: »
    All cases are connected to Ramsgrange/Sportsman Pub incident the Garda in the area have asked all people that were there to go for a test/self-isolate but its probably a bit late for that

It is a bit late for that. The guards should have shut it down to begin with. Over 700 people got tested at whitemill yesterday.

It is a bit late for that. The guards should have shut it down to begin with. Over 700 people got tested at whitemill yesterday.
    Hearing there is an outbreak in Carrowreigh also traced back to the ramsgrange incident.

Hearing there is an outbreak in Carrowreigh also traced back to the ramsgrange incident.

At the moment, all the outbreaks are being traced back to Ramsgrange. Sulzer and Taghmon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

shut it down , i heard one of them was in the middle of it

Advertisement