Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store withholding refund

Options
  • 20-10-2020 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭

Last month I purchased a bed in a chain store in Dublin costing over €1200, I was told there was a 6 week wait for them to get more stock.

Within 3 days I'd a change of financial circumstances and needed to cancel the order and return down the country.

I contacted the store and explained why I'd to cancel, they said that's fine, but they can only issue a refund to the card I paid with and I'd have to return to the store.

I explained this wasn't possible with travel restrictions and was told there's nothing they can do.

I could do with having this €1200 to my name and not have to wait at least 6 more weeks for the travel restrictions to end before I can call in store for the refund.

Any advice on what other options I might have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Go tomorrow before travel restrictions are in?

Edit, unless your near the border then I understand but just go 2moro if the cops stop you just tell them, it's not like your taking the piss, they won't fine you for going to a shop to get a refund you are owed in such harsh times

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Could you not get a charge back by the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

rapul wrote: »
    Go tomorrow before travel restrictions are in?

Edit, unless your near the border then I understand but just go 2moro if the cops stop you just tell them, it's not like your taking the piss, they won't fine you for going to a shop to get a refund you are owed in such harsh times

I can't just drop everything and drive 3 hours to the store and then another 3 back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Esse85 wrote: »
    I can't just drop everything and drive 3 hours to the store and then another 3 back home.

Sorry just trying to throw an option out there, goodluck getting your money back however.
    But I would drive 6 hours for 1200

Could you not get a charge back by the bank?

It's not yet something I've considered. I'll see is there any other suggestions before doing that.

I tried to get my bank TSB to do a charge back on a hotel in Portugal that wouldn't refund me when they cancelled the trip in April, they'd only issue a credit note and the bank were zero help that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

6 driving hours for 1200 euro you could use, sounds like an essential enjoyable day trip to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭CH3OH

The store is being fairly reasonable.
    They are offering a refund when really they don't have to.
    I'd drive first thing and get the money back.
    I wouldn't think twice about it

I don't think you have any grounds for a chargeback

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Thread title needs to be changed.

6 driving hours for 1200 euro you could use, sounds like an essential enjoyable day trip to me

I've work commitments and simply cannot drop everything with no notice.
    I really don't want to bump into several garda checkpoints either and tell them the same story multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I really don't want to bump into several garda checkpoints either and tell them the same story multiple times.

If I were you OP, I'd be going as soon as possible. The longer this goes on the less likely it is that you'll see your money. They're not even obliged to refund you.

And its hardly no notice, you'd a month to get this resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

But what exactly do you want the store to do? They are perfectly willing to refund you but you have to go and physically get the money. It would be exactly the same if it were a cash refund. How exactly are you going to get the money otherwise? Are they meant to post it? Send it via carrier pigeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

So at no stage in the last month did you have time to go back to the store. Right.

And your thread title is completely inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

The thread title is totally misleading btw. They are not withholding anything from you. You want the refund, so go and get the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

CH3OH wrote: »
    The store is being fairly reasonable.
    They are offering a refund when really they don't have to.
    I'd drive first thing and get the money back.
    I wouldn't think twice about it

I don't think you have any grounds for a chargeback
    I can't imagine grounds for a charge back on a change of mind either.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Did you ask the store if they could drive out to you so that you wouldn’t be unduly inconvenienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Within 3 days of paying your circumstances changed?

I've been following the guidelines and deciding not to travel or make un-necessary journeys as its not life or death.

I was hoping given the modern technology we have that the refund could be put back on my card, transferred into my account, cheque sent out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I contacted the store and explained why I'd to cancel, they said that's fine, but they can only issue a refund to the card I paid with and I'd have to return to the store.

This is entirely correct, if you pay by card, they will only refund to the same card, this is to protect them from credit card fraud.

And many card terminals do not allow card not present transactions.

Remember, you have no legal right to a refund in this case, since it is a "change of mind"

I've been following the guidelines and deciding not to travel or make un-necessary journeys as its not life or death.

I was hoping given the modern technology we have that the refund could be put back on my card, transferred into my account, cheque sent out etc.
    Was going to view the bed and purchase the bed a necessary journey though?
    I'd imagine it's no different to going back to get refund on said bed.

Within 3 days of paying your circumstances changed?

Yes a family member lost their job.
    Happens to thousands of people weekly.

• Advertisement

Was going to view the bed and purchase the bed a necessary journey though?
    I'd imagine it's no different to going back to get refund on said bed.

I was living in the area at the time and since moved down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

#toolazy

Sounds like you'll have to forfeit the €1,200 then.

Yes a family member lost their job.
    Happens to thousands of people weekly.

You said “ I've work commitments and simply cannot drop everything with no notice”

But you have had the past few weeks to go and collect your refund or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Remember, you have no legal right to a refund in this case, since it is a "change of mind"
    That's not quite true. It's correct that there is no recourse under the Sale of Goods and Services Act, but if the store has a returns/change of mind policy in place, they are bound by those conditions. Assuming the store has such a policy, and the OP followed the conditions of said policy, they do have a legal right to a refund. However, unless the policy includes a provision for "remote" refunds, it doesn't solve their problem.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I was living in the area at the time and since moved down the country.

You moved within the 3 days of paying the store 1200?

28064212 wrote: »
    That's not quite true. It's correct that there is no recourse under the Sale of Goods and Services Act, but if the store has a returns/change of mind policy in place, they are bound by those conditions. Assuming the store has such a policy, and the OP followed the conditions of said policy, they do have a legal right to a refund. However, unless the policy includes a provision for "remote" refunds, it doesn't solve their problem.

Best contribution thanks.
    I am entitled to a refund via the payment I originally used as per their website.
    But like you said it doesn't solve the issue I have which is returning to the physical store 3 hours away with travel restrictions in place the last number of weeks and for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Stores should not actually be offering either payment or refunds over the phone these days as it's against GDPR laws.
    Not much help I know, just giving the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Poorside wrote: »
    Stores should not actually be offering either payment or refunds over the phone these days as it's against GDPR laws.
    Not much help I know, just giving the info.
    That is just completely and utterly wrong. There are absolutely no GDPR regulations against accepting payment over the phone. There are regulations around the storage and processing of that information, but many, many, many businesses that take phone payments are GDPR-compliant

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Best contribution thanks.
    I am entitled to a refund via the payment I originally used as per their website.
    But like you said it doesn't solve the issue I have which is returning to the physical store 3 hours away with travel restrictions in place the last number of weeks and for the foreseeable future.

It’ll be grand sure. Just pray the store don’t go out of business due to all the Covid restrictions. Then you’ll get fcuk all. I’m in Retail and trust me, most of us are hanging on for dear life. Take the morning off work, leave at 6am and you’ll be back to work in time for lunch. Or don’t. It’s your money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement