Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store withholding refund

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

And many card terminals do not allow card not present transactions.
    Poorside wrote: »
    Stores should not actually be offering either payment or refunds over the phone these days as it's against GDPR laws.
    Not much help I know, just giving the info.

Nope, there is no GDPR issue with card no present refunds, many retailers take many orders over the phone every day.

But not all card terminals allow card not present refunds, so they might not actualy be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Stores should not actually be offering either payment or refunds over the phone these days as it's against GDPR laws.
    Not much help I know, just giving the info.

Doctors surgeries up and down the country have been taking card payments over the phone for remote consultations over the last few months. Have they all been breaking the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

28064212 wrote: »
    That is just completely and utterly wrong. There are absolutely no GDPR regulations against accepting payment over the phone. There are regulations around the storage and processing of that information, but many, many, many businesses that take phone payments are GDPR-compliant

Well you're completely utterly wrong, you've even said it in your own post, regulations around taking and storing details, any new machines cannot take payment over the phone as it breaches GDPR, customer needs to be physically there as there is no option to just input the card number as there used to be.
    I deal with this every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Nope, there is no GDPR issue with card no present refunds, many retailers take many orders over the phone every day.

But not all card terminals allow card not present refunds, so they might not actualy be able to do it.

Old machines allow it, any that have been issued within the last year don't have that facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Well you're completely utterly wrong, you've even said it in your own post, regulations around taking and storing details, any new machines cannot take payment over the phone as it breaches GDPR, customer needs to be physically there as there is no option to just input the card number as there used to be.
    So do I. I took two card payments over the phone today. Don’t know what kind of a terminal you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

No need to go off topic here discussing if GDPR details are broken taking payment via the phone.

I came on to see was there any other options to get the refund, sounds like there's not, that's fine. Thanks for the helpful replies.

Mods, lock it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Old machines allow it, any that have been issued within the last year don't have that facility.
    Not wanting to derail the thread but how do we all buy sh1t on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Esse85 wrote: »
    Yes a family member lost their job.

Sounds like they have time on their hands then, give them the card and get them to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Some new machines do not have an option to input the number. Many of them do, it's entirely dependent on your terminal provider, and has absolutely nothing to do with GDPR.

GDPR means someone can't take card details over the phone, write them down on a notepad, and leave it on their desk where anyone can see the details. It means they can't have an improperly secured database of card numbers that is liable to being hacked. It means they can't hold on to someone's card details longer than is needed for the transaction (or for the length of their account in the case of future payments). It absolutely does not mean phone payments are no longer allowed.

Go and do a google search for "gdpr phone payments". You will get dozens of results for how to be GDPR compliant while taking payment over the phone. Find a single link saying anything supporting what you're claiming

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

If you can't make it you can't make it. Wait till after lockdown. If the store is unfortunate enough not to survive I'd say you have chargeback options if they do and are good enough to still process it you will have the money for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I'd actually suggest closing the thread.
    The OP came looking to hear one thing.
    She hasn't heard it yet
    You have one day to get your refund
    Don't waste it.

Could you not get a charge back by the bank?

Banks won't do that without evidence that to tried yourself.

Refunding to the original card is a standard requirement for anti fraud purposes so no bank is going to chargeback because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

For €1,200 I'd be trying to find someone and give them €100 to get to the store with your card tomorrow. Could easily fold after the next 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,404 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Very misleading thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Esse85 wrote:
    I can't just drop everything and drive 3 hours to the store and then another 3 back home.

Not even for 1200?

Store is happy to give you a full refund. Payment has to be refunded in the same way that you gave it. If you paid cash then it would be a cash refund. You paid by card and they need your card to reverse the sale.

I don't see what the problem is tbh.

Something that might change your mind is that possibly the store might not be there in 6 weeks. Businesses are folding left right & centre at the moment. Personally I'd be waiting for the store to open tomorrow and I'd be their first customer of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

28064212 wrote:
    That's not quite true. It's correct that there is no recourse under the Sale of Goods and Services Act, but if the store has a returns/change of mind policy in place, they are bound by those conditions. Assuming the store has such a policy, and the OP followed the conditions of said policy, they do have a legal right to a refund. However, unless the policy includes a provision for "remote" refunds, it doesn't solve their problem.

If a store has a generous return policy like that wouldn't you suppose that part of the t&cs will state that the card payment has to be refunded to the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

28064212 wrote: »
    Some .... It means they can't hold on to someone's card details longer than is needed for the transaction (or for the length of their account in the case of future payments). It absolutely does not mean phone payments are no longer allowed.

How does the retailer know that they are refunding to the correct card if they haven't a note of the original card number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Prime example of somebody taking the pee out of a stores cancellation policy. They are offering a refund, they legally don't have to. That is a good customer service policy. However the OP does not want the hassle of returning to the store with the payment card..

If you don't want to do it, just write the money off. Or, as others here have said, get off your ass and go and get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Level 3 restrictions since first week in October state, don't travel outside your county.

That's why I haven't attempted to get the refund, I'd hoped due to these restrictions an alternative option would be available.

I'd argue the same idiots on here would still be sniping away with their smart arse comments if I said I was doing a 6 hr return drive to get a refund, they'd be the first to say stay at home.

I'm surprised at the volume of petty aggressive unhelpful replies given the times we're in, I know it's boredom from them, looking to create some bit of entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I'm surprised at the volume of petty aggressive unhelpful replies given the times we're in, I know it's boredom from them, looking to create some bit of entertainment.

People were trying to help you and inform you and you came back with petty and sarcastic replies so you cant blame people for giving it right back to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Post your card to a relation/friend in Dublin and have them go in for you?
    Is it a cc or a debit card? Can you temporarily disable it via a phone app whilst it's in transit (like with Revolut)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Level 3 restrictions since first week in October state, don't travel outside your county.

That's why I haven't attempted to get the refund, I'd hoped due to these restrictions an alternative option would be available.

I'd argue the same idiots on here would still be sniping away with their smart arse comments if I said I was doing a 6 hr return drive to get a refund, they'd be the first to say stay at home.

Well then as others have suggested wait until the restrictions are lifted and get your refund. That seems to be your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread is going nowhere

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement