Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netlify DNS settings for custom domain

Options
  • 20-10-2020 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Hoping this is an obvious one that someone can guide me on. After having my "domain + hosting" dropped to "domain only with email" offering on blacknight for the last year as I wasn't using my hosting package, I'm looking to put my own static page up on Netlify and redirect my domain name to it. I was going through the steps which seem straightforward enough until I got to the point where it talked about pointing your custom domain name to your netlify app.

To do this Netlify offers the ability to add your domain name to it's offering and when you do it has the following:
    Add DNS records (optional)
    The DNS records for your Netlify sites will be configured automatically.

Are you using your domain for other services, such as email? No problem! You can add DNS records for those services at any time.

My query on this is that I use the email attached to the domain a lot so I'm reluctant to do anything that could potentially jeopardise that. Am I being overly paranoid or misunderstanding what the ask is here? Or is there a valid concern in changing DNS records on the domain my email uses?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to answer!

Red

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

First try to back up your DNS records as they are at the moment.

The DNS records that you don't want to mess with are MX records. Also you might have some TXT records relating to email (say SPF domain verification) so I wouldn't touch those either.

What you're probably trying to edit here is your A record
    https://support.dnsimple.com/articles/a-record/

Can't you just access your Netify app by entering the static IP address into the browser URL bar?

Advertisement