Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre Marks in Garden

Options
  • 21-10-2020 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

Hi folks - we have tyre marks (from a tractor) in our garden, with all the recent rain it's a disaster.

Looking for advice on how to repair, obviously no point trying anything until the weather improves.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Leave it till spring. Rake it, cover in compost, and sow seed.

I sympathise. I had my hedges cut recently but stopped him going onto my lawn for the last 20 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

That will fix it self in the spring when the growth comes back. Give it a light rake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

While the ground is still soft I would use a fork to loosen and lift the soil to get rid of the deeper ruts.

The other stuff is minor and can wait until Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

If you throw grass seed on it now, there's a fair chance it'll grow, maybe depending on where you are.

Seed is cheap, give it a shot.
    Lightly rake if it dries out in next couple of days, throw the seed and press it down. This will take the bad look off it.
    Then fix it up properly in the Spring with a little more topsoil and maybe an aeration.

Worst case, it doesn't germinate and you can still fix it up in Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Thanks for the advice folks, if it dries up over the next few days I'll try raise the worst of the soil with a fork and rake it.

Some parts are badly damaged and it maybe the opportunity to turn that area into a wild meadow feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

When it dries up a bit rake some soil over it, to even it out, before seeding, otherwise, if you are cutting it with a ride-on, it will be spine-jarring to cut this section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Could you not roll it then apply grass seed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

When it dries up a bit rake some soil over it, to even it out, before seeding, otherwise, if you are cutting it with a ride-on, it will be spine-jarring to cut this section
    Exactly that, the ride-on is so old I don't think it would survive it.
    Could you not roll it then apply grass seed?
    I don't have a roller, think it'll be a while before I can do anything - been constant rain here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

aw wrote: »
    If you throw grass seed on it now, there's a fair chance it'll grow, maybe depending on where you are.

have seed that i planted about two weeks ago, all the wet weather has meant that i haven needed to water it and its fairly taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Who made the tyre marks and why. The reason I ask is that if it was the guys that do pole and cable maintenance networks ireland (?) then they are normally very helpful getting that sort of thing sorted. I had even bigger ruts and they offered to drop off a load of topsoil and get them filled in.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

shanec1928 wrote: »
    have seed that i planted about two weeks ago, all the wet weather has meant that i haven needed to water it and its fairly taking off.

Excellent.
    At least it won't be bugging you looking out at it over the winter!

Advertisement