Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MagSafe Charging

Options
  • 21-10-2020 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Ok so you get the new magsafe charger for the new iPhone 12
    Now I read you need a special plug ??? WTF
    Can someone point me in the direction of the plug I need !!!!??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Needs a 20W USB-C plug.
    Link to Apple

Apple are not supply you with a plug for the environment you know. Even though they've never sold phones with USB-C before.

Really is a bad move by Apple.

I would just wait til the third party options come out if it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Ok so the magsafe goes to USB-C ... jesus this is confusing.
    Even tho it still charges through the normal USB lightening (5w) ?

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Ok so the magsafe goes to USB-C ... jesus this is confusing.
    Even tho it still charges through the normal USB lightening (5w) ?

The Magsafe comes with a USB-C cable. No lightning

The phone will still charge through USB-A to lightning cable and plug if that's what you mean.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It is annoying.

I've an iPhone 12 on order, and have no USB-C plug.
    Also about to order an Apple Watch SE which comes with a regular USB cable and no plug.

I've bought an Anker dual USB/USB-C charger on Amazon and I feel it's 20 quid I shouldn't have to spend.

Dades wrote: »
    It is annoying.

I've an iPhone 12 on order, and have no USB-C plug.
    Also about to order an Apple Watch SE which comes with a regular USB cable and no plug.

I've bought an Anker dual USB/USB-C charger on Amazon and I feel it's 20 quid I shouldn't have to spend.

Agree, I think the environmental reason for not sending plugs has merits but I don't believe that was Apple's real motivation and then they go and completely contradict them selves by shipping new phones with USB-C which previous iPhone users don't have so there's going to have to be millions more plugs bought which therefore has more environmental impact than shipping plugs in the first place whilst Apple make more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm not really convinced by these.
    Sure the magnets are cool in that they lock the phone in position but it means you can't lift the phone back off the charger one handed.

adox wrote: »
    I'm not really convinced by these.
    Sure the magnets are cool in that they lock the phone in position but it means you can't lift the phone back off the charger one handed.

Yes that appears to be a problem all right.

I think their thinking is that that you can still use the phone whilst it's charging which is not practical wireless chargers.

If that's not important then you can use velcro or double sided tape to secure the charger to a surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I have an Apple USB C 18W charger. I presume it will fast charge fine since the fast charge is 15W max? Apple aren’t surely going to make you buy a 20W plug for this when you have the 18W?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

I have an Apple USB C 18W charger. I presume it will fast charge fine since the fast charge is 15W max? Apple aren’t surely going to make you buy a 20W plug for this when if you have the 18W?!!

Any USB-C plug will work. I've ordered a couple of Anker 18W plugs myself. You're right that, given the MagSafe can only take 15W, an 18W plug should charge the phone as quickly as a 20W plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I bought this to hold my watch charger. Works a treat, won’t be surprised if they bring out one for the MagSafe
    Not sure of the size on the MagSafe.. it might even fit now.

https://www.elevationlab.com/products/night-stand

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

murpho999 wrote: »
    Agree, I think the environmental reason for not sending plugs has merits but I don't believe that was Apple's real motivation and then they go and completely contradict them selves by shipping new phones with USB-C which previous iPhone users don't have so there's going to have to be millions more plugs bought which therefore has more environmental impact than shipping plugs in the first place whilst Apple make more money.

Sole goal is peripheral sales.

Why do you think they still have not moved the iPhone itself to usb c.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Wouldn’t be rushing out to buy this if you already have a wireless charger > https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/23/magsafe-charges-2x-slower-than-wired-20w-charger/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

That’s embarrassing from Apple. Not only that but it’s non competitive against the third party charger market but also against their own adapters. I own an 18, 29, 60 and 96W USB-C adapters from Apple and none of them will achieve the 15w output for the MagSafe. I need to buy the specific 20W.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    That’s embarrassing from Apple. Not only that but it’s non competitive against the third party charger market but also against their own adapters. I own an 18, 29, 60 and 96W USB-C adapters from Apple and none of them will achieve the 15w output for the MagSafe. I need to buy the specific 20W.

Well it seems apple rationale of saving the planet means you have to buy their MagSafe and their plug in order to achieve the numbers they are touting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Not even last years iPhone 11 plug will work.
    Nothing to do with the environment. First thought it was shrinkflation. Having to buy a 20w is just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not even last years iPhone 11 plug will work.

It will work, as in it will charge your 12 via either a lighting cable or Qi/MagSafe - you just won't get the 15W charging from the MagSafe.

But yeah, the whole thing is a bit of a mess on Apple's part. Although they know well it will blow over and everyone will forget about it in a while. And certainly the environmental claims are nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

This is really bad for the environment,
    wireless charging uses more electricity than
    simply using a charger and a USB c cable.
    There's a reason why most phones do not use it.
    In most country's 5g is just getting started,
    It's costing 99 dollars to put a 5g chip
    in an iPhone even though most users will be using 4g . In America it has been tested, 99 per
    of the time 4g is faster than 5g if you can find a place that has a 5g signal.
    I think the iPhone 14 will be out by the time
    that 5g is widely available in city's and towns in Ireland or the UK.
    5g is easily blocked by buildings or glass
    as it uses different parts of the spectrum than 4g
    They could have just left out 5g till 2021 at least in Western countrys

riclad wrote: »
    This is really bad for the environment,
    wireless charging uses more electricity than
    simply using a charger and a USB c cable.
    There's a reason why most phones do not use it.
    In most country's 5g is just getting started,
    It's costing 99 dollars to put a 5g chip
    in an iPhone even though most users will be using 4g . In America it has been tested, 99 per
    of the time 4g is faster than 5g if you can find a place that has a 5g signal.
    I think the iPhone 14 will be out by the time
    that 5g is widely available in city's and towns in Ireland or the UK.
    5g is easily blocked by buildings or glass
    as it uses different parts of the spectrum than 4g

I really disagree that just because 5g is not fully up and running yet that it should not included in new iPhones.

5G will be in all countries and cities within a couple of years on all networks and it means that the phones today are futureproofed and will not require upgrades so that's better for the environment. It coen't matter that the iPhone 14 may be out then. That's not a reason to include technology in phones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

riclad wrote: »
    There won't be real demand for functioning 5G until people carry 5G capable handsets, and it's demand that will drive improvement in the networks.

Lot of tech works that way. Consider electric cars; the increasing number of them on the roads demands the rollout of better infrastructure to cater for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

This is a good take on the MagSafe/no charger fiasco/environment-saving affair:

https://birchtree.me/blog/a-guy-walks-into-an-apple-store/

Advertisement