Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop falls foul of the Traveller lobby

Options

Comments

Well I for one am glad Martin Beanz Ward got up and did something. I wanted noted in history that on this very day, Martin Ward arose, got out of bed, trolled the internet, went outside for a dump and went back to bed.

That concludes the Legend that is Martin Beanz Ward.

Jesus, what are the chances of their being two Martin 'Beanz' Ward's?!?

I was in the FCA with a lad called Martin Ward aka Beanz about 20 years ago. He was from Tuam. A more irritating, annoying individual I am yet to meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Yes because he was wrong.
    but only if he wants to i wouldn't force him to do it, like someone else said it's meaningless then.
    But if he doesn't, it's slander imo to call ALL travellers these things

You want to buy pre 1983 Lada Rivera off me ..... I swear it is one of the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

I was in the FCA with a lad called Martin Ward aka Beanz about 20 years ago. He was from Tuam. A more irritating, annoying individual I am yet to meet.

there were some serious oddballs, quirky guys and just plain annoying shams in the FCA back in the day. Reminded me of student union types, give them a little bit of authority they go a bit looper

Not a chance they are the same. To be in the FCA in the day you had to be clean shaven, no criminal record and you had to spend some energy. Not possible they are the same Martin Beanz Ward. I am guessing they are either Uncles, cousins, 2nd cousins or both. (Its handier at Christmas, for presents)

Not a chance they are the same. To be in the FCA in the day you had to be clean shaven, no criminal record and you had to spend some energy. Not possible they are the same Martin Beanz Ward. I am guessing they are either Uncles, cousins, 2nd cousins or both. (Its handier at Christmas, for presents)

Clean shaven yes but I don't remember him expending much energy except to annoy people around him. Possibly a cousin. Age is about right though.

The comment about trolling on the internet drove it home. He was a troll before the term had been invented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

NIMAN wrote: »
    I read the article.

He didn't say anything that wasn't true.

If he did say something that wasn't true then maybe Pavee Point should look to take him to court. Infact if all the things are said about the Travelling community are not true why don't Pavee Point fight this in the courts. Surely if its not true they can sue those people.

Floppybits wrote: »
    If he did say something that wasn't true then maybe Pavee Point should look to take him to court. Infact if all the things are said about the Travelling community are not true why don't Pavee Point fight this in the courts. Surely if its not true they can sue those people.

It was said outside the duraisticion of the country. They should sue him in the states. Shure what the hell? Just like An Taisce, shure its only tax payers money, there is plenty more where that came from.

It was said outside the duraisticion of the country. They should sue him in the states. Shure what the hell? Just like An Taisce, shure its only tax payers money, there is plenty more where that came from.

But even in this country is some says something that is not true about the Traveler community then the representatives of that community should sue those people if the really believe what was said is untrue. Then every body gets their day in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Keeping the next generation uneducated ensures the cycle continues.

Every so often there's a good news story that one or two get a uni degree. Big whoop.

yes but invariably those degrees are in the grievance studies corner of humanities

the much acclaimed Sindy Joyce spends all of her time nursing grievances about how her community is hard done by , not much intellectualism in that

But even in this country is some says something that is not true about the Traveler community then the representatives of that community should sue those people if the really believe what was said is untrue. Then every body gets their day in court.

So who is going to sue who and with what money? You do know how much solicitors cost? You would want to grow up and develop a thick skin to survive in this world. You cant go through the world and sue everyone who looks at you crooked, that is sinead O connors business.

Are you some sort of Advocate for the legal profession or just in the students union? Once you have had a few days in court, nobody will want to know you. I know a woman who has a path beaten to the solicitors office. she is now old with no friends and tradesmen and professionals dont want to know her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

.anon. wrote: »
    Or - something that people on Boards have a tendency to get terribly annoyed about - saying that men are bad because most of the world's violent crime is carried out by 'them'.

Again using the Graham Dwyer example. It must mean all middle class settled people commit murder by the logic of some. I am not annoyed I just feel sorry for you. Because if you start viewing the world in terms of 'them' and 'us' your world becomes narrower, there is no nuance and people fail to see people as people. Taking people as they are whoever they are is replaced by using definitive terms such as 'all' instead of 'some' for example. It speaks volumes of an individuals mindset. If I use the same logic as the resentful and bigoted I would hate my own settled people because they robbed me and stole from me. But no traveller has ever done any harm to me. The opposite in fact. Kind and courteous.

But I am not naïve and bigoted to say that all travellers or settled people behave in the same way. Even on boards.ie some people might never break the 'don't be a dick' rule, some might break it the odd time, some most of the time. But I would not view ALL boards posters as dicks!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Why isn't tusla making sure every travellers child is in school?
    If settled folk or as I call them normal decent hard working people done what they do they'd be doing time.

I've long thought that receipt of childrens allowance should be tied into metrics such as child school attendance, compliance with public health assessments etc. It would go a long way to improve well being of children in disadvantaged circumstances (traveller children, parents with drink or drug addiction, or abusive parents). It would also hopefully allow for earlier recognition and intervention for children who need additional educational supports or welfare intervention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    I've long thought that receipt of childrens allowance should be tied into metrics such as child school attendance, compliance with public health assessments etc. It would go a long way to improve well being of children in disadvantaged circumstances (traveller children, parents with drink or drug addiction, or abusive parents). It would also hopefully allow for earlier recognition and intervention for children who need additional educational supports or welfare intervention.

if you want to know the real farce regarding tusla and allowances look no further than foster payments.
    And let me tell you, travellers are far, far from the worst offenders of the fraud going on in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Everlong1 wrote: »
    The new lockdown restrictions allow for ten people only at funerals. Should be interesting to see how many times that particular measure is openly flouted by the Traveller community over the next six weeks while the Guards stand by and do nothing.

Would ya ever cop on.
    What kind of fight could you have with only 10?
    Comedian Des Bishop has apologised to the Traveller community for comments he made in 2018 when he described the community as inbred and violent.

Inbred ? That would be kinda true alright.

Violent ? Well yes.
    Earlier, Travellers’ groups called for an apology over an interview with US radio station Sirius XM, on which Bishop said Travellers “drink a lot”, “get violent when they drink”, “are sort of feudal” and “are all on social welfare”.

Drink a lot ? Yes
    Get violent when they drink ? Yes but he should have said get violent even when sober.
    Are sort of feudal ? As other poster said if he means they are into feuding then most definitely true.
    Are all on social welfare? Change All to maybe say 90% plus and it is true.

To any sane person and non traveller apologist the guy didn't tell a lie.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Again using the Graham Dwyer example!e It must mean all middle class settled people commit murder by the logic of some.

Yeah but if there was a disproportionate number of murders carried out by
    middle class settled people then it would kinda be a cause for concern and rightly highlighted.

On the other hand a disproportionate number of traveller people are in prison, are charged and convicted of criminal offenses, yet we are supposed to ignore it ?
    Taking people as they are whoever they are is replaced by use definitive terms such as 'all' instead of 'some' for example.It speaks volumes of an individuals mindset. If I use the same logic as the resentful and bigoted I would hate my own settled people because they robbed me and stole from me. But no traveller has ever done any harm to me. The opposite in fact. Kind and courteous.

Are you going to say that the many hundreds of people more who have negative interactions with travellers in comparison to the number with your type of interaction are resentful and bigots ?
    At that rate you are probably in all likelihood saying over half the country is bigoted.
    But I am not naive and bigoted to say that all travellers or settled people behave in the same way. Even on boards.ie some people might never break the 'don't be a dick' rule, some might break it the odd time, some most of the time. But I would not view ALL boards posters as dicks!

When does a majority become a majority ?

When does a majority trait become a way of adequately describing a group?

For instance can we say a dependence on social welfare is a trait of the travelling community?
    Or do we have to wait until 100% of travellers are receiving some sort of social welfare ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

In fairness he could of said some positive things about travellers like the ability to make hundreds of thousands of euro selling cars and horse's.

So who is going to sue who and with what money? You do know how much solicitors cost? You would want to grow up and develop a thick skin to survive in this world. You cant go through the world and sue everyone who looks at you crooked, that is sinead O connors business.

Are you some sort of Advocate for the legal profession or just in the students union? Once you have had a few days in court, nobody will want to know you. I know a woman who has a path beaten to the solicitors office. she is now old with no friends and tradesmen and professionals dont want to know her.

Not at all, I am just pointing out that if the Traveler community are so offended by the comments and also they have claimed they are not true then you would think they would have a cast iron case and take this to court. This way it would stop this sort of thing happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Pigsaw

Thought travellers were hard men? Why are they crying like bitches because some comedian made a joke about them?

Not at all, I am just pointing out that if the Traveler community are so offended by the comments and also they have claimed they are not true then you would think they would have a cast iron case and take this to court. This way it would stop this sort of thing happening.

Clearly the taxpayer is going to end up paying for this whether it is either successful or unsuccessful. We need to stop enabling travellers and treated the same as Irish citizens. If they dont grow up, start learning skills and obeying the law, they will starve. Limited time to receive social welfare, equal opportunities to education, not minority entry. Then end of Free Legal Aid, if you want legal representation you have to pay for it. Watch Traveller "culture" vanish like the snow in February. Its the only way to end this nonsense.

Pigsaw wrote: »
    Thought travellers were hard men? Why are they crying like bitches because some comedian made a joke about them?

Travellers are all gob, facebook and youtube. They are afraid of the dark and box like big girls. They just wallop each other they have no style or form, can be seen on any feud fight. Then they bring out the lead pipes and the billhooks.

• Advertisement

Clearly the taxpayer is going to end up paying for this whether it is either successful or unsuccessful. We need to stop enabling travellers and treated the same as Irish citizens. If they dont grow up, start learning skills and obeying the law, they will starve. Limited time to receive social welfare, equal opportunities to education, not minority entry. Then end of Free Legal Aid, if you want legal representation you have to pay for it. Watch Traveller "culture" vanish like the snow in February. Its the only way to end this nonsense.

Of course the tax payer would have to foot the bill sure we foot the bill for everything to do with the Traveler community. Me personally I think any group that is getting something of the taxpayer needs to follow a basic set of rules to receive that funding whether it is that community obeying the law, making sure all members of community have equal rights, ensuring that the children in that community attend school and respect everyone in those schools and also that the community is open to other people joining it if they are of that mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Pigsaw

Travellers are all gob, facebook and youtube. They are afraid of the dark and box like big girls. They just wallop each other they have no style or form, can be seen on any feud fight. Then they bring out the lead pipes and the billhooks.

Yep and when they attack us it's always 6 v 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's strange when they fight with all the hardware, they rarely kill each other. The weapons must all bounce off their reinforced skulls.

It's strange when they fight with all the hardware, they rarely kill each other. The weapons must all bounce off their reinforced skulls.

I am beginning to think it is all staged like wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

At another point in the interview, Bishop says that he:
    "always sticks up for” Travellers, adding they are “hated” by the Irish, calling this “irrational” and “classic racism”.

Did his recent apology cover that vile slur against "the Irish"? Because to me, it's a far worse slur than his somewhat predictably stereotypical observations about the travelling community.

If not, then surely "the Irish" (whoever they may be) should be demanding an apology too.

The
    jmayo wrote: »
    On the other hand a disproportionate number of traveller people are in prison, are charged and convicted of criminal offenses, yet we are supposed to ignore it ?

It would be OK if this was said but the clear implication was ALL. to drink and so on. In fact one of the statements Des made used the word ALL in relation to social welfare. Which is wrong by any reasonable persons definition.
    Are you going to say that the many hundreds of people more who have negative interactions with travellers in comparison to the number with your type of interaction are resentful and bigots ?
    At that rate you are probably in all likelihood saying over half the country is bigoted.
    No, I am merely saying to judge a person because (a certain cohort associated with them culturally) have behaved badly in the past is wrong. Much as many of your county men who emigrated to the USA and UK and were stereotyped as fighting drunks.
    When does a majority become a majority ?

When does a majority trait become a way of adequately describing a group?

For instance can we say a dependence on social welfare is a trait of the travelling community?
    Or do we have to wait until 100% of travellers are receiving some sort of social welfare ?

What do you mean have to wait? It seems you wish to virtually imply that ALL travellers are on social welfare. It would be an unfair denegartion and a factually incorrect statement to state ALL or imply ALL. Many in the traveller community are not much different those from the settled community in socially deprived working class areas. It is normally those from the working class areas who target minority groups like travellers or immigrants as they are the ones who feel threatened by such groups. The reality is many working class people who denegrade travellers have a lot more in common with many travellers than they care to admit

For the record I believe it is wrong to stereotype one group on the actions of a few and imply ALL. Similar to saying that ALL the past members of the Mayo football team since 1951 were bottlers. It would be wrong and it is clear it was only some/many who let others down - not all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Pigsaw wrote: »

What comedian ? :pac:

At another point in the interview, Bishop says that he:

Did his recent apology cover that vile slur against "the Irish"? Because to me, it's a far worse slur than his somewhat predictably stereotypical observations about the travelling community.

If not, then surely "the Irish" (whoever they may be) should be demanding an apology too.

Maybe Irish people should. But I get the feeling many of those who would look for such an apology would not be eligible for it ;)
    There is absolutely nothing irrational about hating travellers. I've only ever had dealings with them twice and both times they deserved all the hate directed at them including killing my dog when they broke into my parents house many years ago.

It's amazing the way 90% of Irish people can form on opinion about travellers many through personal experience and yet seemingly it's these people in the wrong and the travellers in the right according to the media circle jerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Good man Des, now I demand you apologise for telling the same "leaving on the immersion" jokes for the last 15 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Fancy fighting one then....:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement