Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bb1234567 wrote: »
    And being in the same gym studio doing your workout 5 days a week is not repetitive?

I don't know what you mean by 'to the way you look' , if you mean upper body strength and musculature well oviously cycling does't affect that. But it sculpts legs and helps to lose body fat.
    Well, there is only one way to ride a bike but hundreds of workouts! What the restrictions have reminded us is just how surprisingly social the gym is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

And being in the same gym studio doing your workout 5 days a week is not repetitive?

I don't know what you mean by 'to the way you look' , if you mean upper body strength and musculature well oviously cycling does't affect that. But it sculpts legs and helps to lose body fat.

I only do weight lifting, trying to get as strong as possible is my main objective and that involves a lot planning and dedication which gives me focus in this nonsense environment. Cardio might make you smaller but you stay the same shape as you were, just smaller version of it. I don't have excessive body fat to loose, so cycling does nothing really for me and it's very taxing mentally for me because I hate it. p.s. I'm a female but yeah, I like flexing my pecs in front of the mirror lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

celt262 wrote: »
    Is the gym just about looking good for these gym addicts?

Oh look at my big arms..

I see we're entering the realm of farce now.

There are plenty of people that have never set foot in the gym who exercise so that their body looks better. Don't kid yourself that it's only people who use the gym who want to look better naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is this some form of backhanded encouragement or criticism of the mental issues of people missing gyms? With the nights and weather closing in some of those "other options" are not really a runner.

On the mental health stuff, I do think it's important and do agree that golf/gyms or whatever else will have an effect on some people's mental health.

However, the term "mental health" is getting thrown around very liberally in relation to this lockdown. Feeling less happy than before isn't really a mental health problem and I think some people are thinking it is. We all have to make sacrifices to reduce case numbers. Personally, I'm losing golf and the gym. Does that make me less happy? Absolutely. But at this point, I wouldn't say it's affecting my mental health.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

j@utis wrote: »
    How many times you can walk or cycle the same route??? I feel like vomiting even thinking about it after last lockdown.
    Did you ever hear such immature nonsense in all your life?

It makes you "feel like vomiting" to think about cycling or walking around the block a few times?

A 5km radius is a surprisingly big space and there's no reason you'd have to go the same route. I've a few different routes in my area for example.

Some people must have precious little to be worrying about if that's what makes them feel ill.

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »

It makes you "feel like vomiting" to think about cycling or walking around the block a few times?

A 5km radius is a surprisingly big space and there's no reason you'd have to go the same route. I've a few different routes in my area for example.

Some people must have precious little to be worrying about if that's what makes them feel ill.
    From "being supportive" to rounding on someone in two posts! That mental health thing?! Leave the poster be, they're not bothering anyone except themselves.

Sometimes a short sharp shock of reality can be a good thing.

Some people (the minority I'm sure, but still) need to get a bit of perspective on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Cycling the same route makes you feel like vomiting, but spending an hour a day in the same gym space is desirable? Weird contradiction.

Mental health is being used like a Get Out of Jail Free card in this thread.
    Wont somebody please think about the mental health?! :pac::pac:

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Cycling the same route makes you feel like vomiting, but spending an hour a day in the same gym space is desirable? Weird contradiction.

It's not a contradiction at all.

You do different things in that gym space. It's not the same thing every time.

You can cycle or walk different places too.

Exercise shouldn't just be about putting the head down and hitting calorie or heartbeat target. Look around you. Go down a road you've not been down before. If there's country lanes around you, they can be lovely on a sunny day like today.

People do seem very reluctant to use this opportunity to try something different to be honest. If they opened their minds up to different things, things would work a lot better. Maybe not as well as in the gym, but well enough that you shouldn't feel sick at the thought of trying.

• Advertisement

Different things? You lift weights and use machines.
    Maybe you lift different weights and use different machines, but there's not so much of a difference.

I think some people need a serious dose of reality. It's 6 weeks out of your life that you can't go to a gym. Suck it up. Find an alternative. Be an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

is_that_so wrote: »
    From "being supportive" to rounding on someone in two posts! That mental health thing?! Leave the poster be, they're not bothering anyone except themselves.

Ah but come on, there is a line that has certainly been crossed..have you never in your life told somebody to cop on for having such myopic and self centred views on sensitive topics? An issue that has affected so many people worldwide so deeply. These kind of selfish outlooks have impact, they don't exist in a vaccum, people who are so preoccupied with their own problems are very unlikely to contribute towards or accept other inconveniences asked of them that may save lives or prevent spread of covid.

One's toned physique not being kept in tip top condition for a 6 week period is pretty far down the list of national problems I think we can all agree, not even that but simply just not having access to a specific facility apparently necessary to maintain it

You can cycle or walk different places too.

Exercise shouldn't just be about putting the head down and hitting calorie or heartbeat target. Look around you. Go down a road you've not been down before. If there's country lanes around you, they can be lovely on a sunny day like today.

People do seem very reluctant to use this opportunity to try something different to be honest. If they opened their minds up to different things, things would work a lot better. Maybe not as well as in the gym, but well enough that you shouldn't feel sick at the thought of trying.

Oh I know you can but it's not everyone's thing. That poster obviously tried cycling but doesn't enjoy it.

I've run a few marathons in my time but I'm not sure I'd be interested now. Even if I could.

But I don't disagree that people have to put a bit of thought into how to get the most out of their situation. I train for powerlifting but I only had resistance bands and a sandbag. I made it work as best I could. And I will again.

I can see how, as another poster said, it can have a negative impact on someone's mindset (shouldn't be the sole reason for good/bad mental health) but some people are too dismissive of that.

Ah but come on, there is a line that has certainly been crossed..have you never in your life told somebody to cop on for having such myopic and self centred views on sensitive topics? An issue that has affected so many people worldwide so deeply

One's toned physique not being kept in tip top condition for a 6 week period is pretty far down the list of national problems I think we can all agree, not even that but simply just not having access to a specific facility needed to maintain it
    Not that I can recall unless it had some actual direct effect on me. I find it about as interesting as the latest soap story lines and I zone it out. Each to their own and people do love their dramas.

Oh I know you can but it's not everyone's thing.
    Which is fair enough - but like, tough. Lots of us can't do our "thing". Saying you feel sick at the thought at going out for the same cycle a few times is unhelpful to yourself. You have to be positive at times like this. Look for opportunities for something new (and something new is always good to keep the brain active). Don't just wallow in self-pity at yourself. (And I appreciate you're not one of those, by the sounds of it)

Which is fair enough - but like, tough. Lots of us can't do our "thing". Saying you feel sick at the thought at going out for the same cycle a few times is unhelpful to yourself. You have to be positive at times like this. Look for opportunities for something new (and something new is always good to keep the brain active). Don't just wallow in self-pity at yourself. (And I appreciate you're not one of those, by the sounds of it)

I've said previously that your mental health shouldn't be dependent on access to the gym. If it is, there's an issue. But it can affect people negatively.

But everyone needs to look at what they can do that would be as close to what they like doing and be proactive in finding something rather than allowing themselves feel like a victim of circumstances because that just fosters negativity.

Which is fair enough. I think we're pretty much in agreement here really.

I've said previously that your mental health shouldn't be dependent on access to the gym. If it is, there's an issue. But it can affect people negatively.

But everyone needs to look at what they can do that would be as close to what they like doing and be proactive in finding something rather than allowing themselves feel like a victim of circumstances because that just fosters negativity.

Mental health has become an overused catch all term.

Feel a bit sh*t? My mental health has been damaged.
    Someone cut you off in traffic? My mental health has been damaged.
    Your boss reprimanded you? My mental health has been damaged.
    Can't get to the gym for a few weeks? My mental health has been damaged.

Using mental health as an excuse or reason to get what you want dilutes the meaning and importance of the term.

EDIT: I also noticed that those using "mental health" as a reason for keeping gyms open usually refer to the mental health of others. So it doesn't even affect them :rolleyes:

Using mental health as an excuse or reason to get what you want dilutes the meaning and importance of the term.

EDIT: I also noticed that those using "mental health" as a reason for keeping gyms open usually refer to the mental health of others. So it doesn't even affect them :rolleyes:
    Thank you doctor! Same time next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You are right. It is used a lot.
    I don't know if people are getting soft or just pretentious. Like look towards the "greatest generation" they say of people living during world war 2.
    Going to war, seeing your friends getting killed - but hey... The gyms are closed my mental health!!!!! :pac:

I like going to the gym as the next person but it's only 6 weeks. But I think topics like these expose people for what they are ... Because locking down is to save lives. But all you hear is I can't go the gym, I can't go the pub, I can't this I can't that. All me me me.

• Advertisement

I don't necessarily disagree that it can be overused but it reads like you think it is a term that should be reserved for the mental illness end of the spectrum. In some instances people say it's OTT because it is associated only with mental illness.

Is it only someone that suffers from depression that can say their mental health is affected? If your boss is a bully and has reprimanded you again for no real reason can your mental health not be affected.

There are degrees of mental health. It's isn't a binary concept so I don't really see why any reference to it bothers you.

That just reads like you have an issue with someone not being selfish, which is odd.

You are right. It is used a lot.
    I don't know if people are getting soft or just pretentious. Like look towards the "greatest generation" they say of people living during world war 2.
    Going to war, seeing your friends getting killed - but hey... The gyms are closed my mental health!!!!! :pac:

Jesus wept. If we're going to use the world war as the basis for what is acceptable to be pissed off about, then most people have no right to be in anyway down.

Cancer? Be glad it's not world war 2.
    Broken legs? Soldiers in WW2 had their legs blown off so cheer up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I have about 3 inter-lapping cycling routes around where I live, and I've covered over 2000km this year going round and round the same way, I'm totally sick of it. p.s. 5km only applies if you encounter the garda checkpoint [don't start fussing about it, everybody does it, just don't say it out loud].

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I know you can only talk from your perspective but youre trying to say all gyms are safe based on that one perspective, thats my point! Obviously my gym is **** I go there because of proximity to where I live mainly but if that's an example of one with clear risk of transmission how many other risky badly run/badly designed gyms are there across the country you are trying to claim are safe in your blanket statement! I'm not trying to say all gyms are necessarily high risk I'm just saying there is risk in all of them and we are at level 5, a point where no benefit of doubt is given, we are closing everywhere except places with definitely low risk/or are completely essential neither which gyms fall under

It's in an old georgian building so I guess ventilating it was difficult or expensive. In winter time you can't even see into the interior of the gym from the street as the windows are so covered in condesnsation, looks absolutely gross and smells even worse :o

Hang on a second, I never made any blanket statements, I spoke about my experience only. The misrepresentation and exclamation marks aren't warranted.

I would suggest each premises be evaluated individually, and yes I understand that is logistically impossible, but it's not something I expect to happen, rather a hypothetical situation. Perhaps a simple rating system for Gyms going forward would be useful based on the type of building they are located in, type of ventilation system (if any) etc.

Glazers Out!

I don't necessarily disagree that it can be overused but it reads like you think it is a term that should be reserved for the mental illness end of the spectrum. In some instances people say it's OTT because it is associated only with mental illness.
    I don't think he's made that point in fairness.

But if "I can't go to the gym" affects your mental health, then the chances are you're mis-using the term "mental health". Being in lockdown and not being able to meet with people could well lead to depressive emotions. Not being able to go to the gym though? No. You can be a bit upset or put out, but it's too much to talk about it affecting your mental health.
    That just reads like you have an issue with someone not being selfish, which is odd.
    I don't necessarily agree with this either actually. It's very common these days to take offence on behalf of someone else, which just skews the number of people actually affected by the issue. (Trans rights are a good example - everyone gets offended over something which quite possibly doesn't actually exist). I don't see the harm in calling that out.

Is it only someone that suffers from depression that can say their mental health is affected? If your boss is a bully and has reprimanded you again for no real reason can your mental health not be affected.

There are degrees of mental health. It's isn't a binary concept so I don't really see why any reference to it bothers you.

I know it's not binary, I know it can mean many different things and I know people are affected differently, but it's a go-to buzz word for many now when they don't get what they want.

If you have mental health issues you should be seeing some form of councillor and talking about your issues.
    If you're not at that stage, then I don't think you should be using mental health as a reason to get your own way.

Also, you may see it as someone being selfless, but I see it a virtue signaling, or making a non-issue more important because surely someone, somewhere must be affected.

In this context, unless you use the gym as an escape mechanism for some form of mental trauma, then using mental health as an excuse is just conflating your circumstances.

I don't think he's made that point in fairness.

But if "I can't go to the gym" affects your mental health, then the chances are you're mis-using the term "mental health". Being in lockdown and not being able to meet with people could well lead to depressive emotions. Not being able to go to the gym though? No. You can be a bit upset or put out, but it's too much to talk about it affecting your mental health.

But this is my point, i.e. that it's associated with depressive emotions and I don't necessarily agree with that. If going to the gym is something that someone enjoys and that they do regularly, then not being able to when they want to will have a negative effect on them. What name do you want to give that because it's not being upset or put out nor is it being depressed. Like I said, 'mental health' seems to be associated with being depressed but that's a bit binary.
    I don't necessarily agree with this either actually. It's very common these days to take offence on behalf of someone else, which just skews the number of people actually affected by the issue. (Trans rights are a good example - everyone gets offended over something which quite possibly doesn't actually exist). I don't see the harm in calling that out.

People are being called out as being selfish because they say it affects them. And being called out when they make a point even though it doesn't necessarily effect them. Can't win either way.

I understand the point you're making but it's equally valid to say that someone might generally argue the case for others when they have no horse in the race.

But this is my point, i.e. that it's associated with depressive emotions and I don't necessarily agree with that. If going to the gym is something that someone enjoys and that they do regularly, then not being able to when they want to will have a negative effect on them. What name do you want to give that because it's not being upset or put out nor is it being depressed. Like I said, 'mental health' seems to be associated with being depressed but that's a bit binary.
    Honestly, if someone can't go to the gym, then I think "upset" or "put out" is just fine.
    People are being called out as being selfish because they say it affects them. And being called out when they make a point even though it doesn't necessarily effect them. Can't win either way.
    People are being called out as selfish when they say that they want the gyms open for the sake of their mental health, with no consideration for the wider social impact in a time of pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Honestly, if someone can't go to the gym, then I think "upset" or "put out" is just fine.

People are being called out as selfish when they say that they want the gyms open for the sake of their mental health, with no consideration for the wider social impact in a time of pandemic.

But the impact of gyms in a wider sense during this pandemic has been minimal? Very few cases traced to gyms.

But the issue isn't whether gyms are safe, or gold - the government simply don't want people going anywhere. Ideally they would love for people to be sat at home inside for the next 6 weeks. Whether something is actually a health risk itself doesn't really matter.

My issue isn't that I am going to miss the gym for 6 weeks (and I am going to miss it a lot!) its that I have no reason to believe they won't also be shut for 4 to 6 weeks in January/Feb. and again in April.

The government will put many, many, businesses out of business by closing them down, and they are closing them down simply cause they have no idea what else to do and have no interest and plan to improve the Health Service to be in a position to deal with the pandemic better.

The had a plan in place for a 400 Bed Covid hospital. They had people working on it. they then decided to simply not do it. That is why I am annoyed that Gyms (and loads of other stuff) is closed - because its not leading to anything better. In the first lockdown we were told it was to buy the health service time to prepare. we went through it. we flattened the curve, brough the numbers under control.... and the health service and government did nothing with that time. the number of nurses/doctors and beds is the same as it was in March. Whats the plan??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

What if someone is depressed and going to the gym helps with it?

Advertisement