Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

wonder if they will reopen gyms sooner if numbers go down?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FA12345

I haven't had time to read through the whole thread! So I apologise if I am repeating or whatever but though I might add my 2 cents regarding gyms. Included below is an idea of the "Support" that the government are offering. My husband owns a gym, he has shut down in compliance with the Governments restrictions (IMO which are too harsh given the numbers of deaths). He runs a very specific model - in general its low cost, high quality personal training gym in Dublin city. Usually he would have a maximum of 4 ppl + 1 trainer in the building at any one time.

Before the Level 3 came in, he introduced mask wearing for all of his clients and his staff, they each carry 70% alcohol disinfectant to clean down equipment before and after each use, a deep clean of the whole gym everyday too, along with the usual hand sanitising and social distancing. He even added a ventilation system and keeps the doors open at all times for extra air flow.

When Level 3 came in, he reduced capacity, cut the length and amount of peoples sessions a little (to fit in all the clients) and was doing 1-to-1 only, plus the above cleaning etc of course. His turnover went down a bit but was a manageable solution.

Along comes Level 5... Shuts down business, introduces online classes (which a lot of people dont want to do - its not enjoyable when you live in apartment/have young kids - and for plenty of other reasons). Boom! Turnover down to about 20%.

So he looks to the what the supports are from the Government. We've heard plenty of this in the media. Aren't they great supporting businesses through lockdowns! It's an absolute disgrace, I can go into how they calculate the supports offered, and I will if I am asked. But for now here's my husbands gyms breakdown:

- His staff wages are not eligible *yet* for EWSS (because they are based on last years turnover figures)
    - His weekly running costs are €1000 (not including staff wages as above)
    - Government are giving him €67 per week as a "support".

He only opened his gym last year and therefore his turnover was low in the beginning months and the government have decided to base their support on the turnover from this time last year! My husband has been in bed for days now with and stress given that he did the whole shutdown thing for 3.5 months already this year and if I'm honest, I think hes having breakdown of sorts. I'm also pregnant now and had to go to the hospital last night, and my Blood pressure through the roof.

I'm not looking for sympathy but I thought I would give another side of the story. I understand the reason why people are arguing the mental health related to gym use card, and I do believe it helps with things like stress, anxiety, depression. But I think the point actually is the fact that gyms HAVE NOT been any source of spread or outbreak. They are really really low on the HSPC list of figures as to where cases are coming from. It's something like 0.5% are related to sports/fitness.

There also seems to be no acknowledgment of the fact that case numbers are higher because testing is up something like 250% than in the last lockdown. The death numbers are so low in relativity. We have become better at treating the virus (my dad ended up in hospital in March at the beginning of all this with serious complications from Covid, and he told me that the docs and nurses told him that they didn't really know what the best way to treat it was) The government did nothing about increasing ICU capacity and healthcare workers during the last while but are hell bent on shutting businesses that have not contributed to the spread of the virus. And to top it off, now they won't even support them financially.

The CRSS (Covid Restrictions Support Scheme) is a load of crap. It's very likely that we will roll in and out of these lockdowns too, so it might not just be 6 weeks given that there are some mad people up there thinking ZERO Covid is an attainable goal.

I'd also like to add, surrounding this:

"At least be honest, it's not about mental health - it's about wanting to make money" argument. Try paying out over €4k (more like €6k) a month on overheads while your government offers you €300 a month in support. And that's just my husbands small gym business.

*It's about all of it* with regards to gyms:

It's about mental health (not just for the gym users but for the gym owners)
    It's about physical health (especially given that obesity is the number one comorbidity factor when it comes to Covid)
    It's about earning money to pay your bills so you don't end up in a mountain of debt
    It's about the fact that our government has made a balls of it, NOT small business owners who are not contributing to the spread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

FA12345 wrote: »
    I'd also like to add, surrounding this:

"At least be honest, it's not about mental health - it's about wanting to make money" argument. Try paying out over €4k (more like €6k) a month on overheads while your government offers you €300 a month in support. And that's just my husbands small gym business.

*It's about all of it* with regards to gyms:

It's about mental health (not just for the gym users but for the gym owners)
    It's about physical health (especially given that obesity is the number one comorbidity factor when it comes to Covid)
    It's about earning money to pay your bills so you don't end up in a mountain of debt
    It's about the fact that our government has made a balls of it, NOT small business owners who are not contributing to the spread

Absolutely - it’s like trying to earn a living and keep a business going is seen as a negative

jrosen wrote: »
    Absolutely - it’s like trying to earn a living and keep a business going is seen as a negative

And it's not even about earning a living as much as it is trying to keep on top of the mounting business debt! My husband will forego his own living and wages just to be able to keep his staff employed and in work. It's mad how many people think that business owners are being greedy by wanting to stay in business!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

It's mad how many people think that business owners are being greedy by wanting to stay in business!

The same people are sitting at home working away no bother to them

bush wrote: »
    The same people are sitting at home working away no bother to them

I'm editing because I misunderstood your repsonse!
    Yes, indeed they are - and also the Irish media only seems to do its best to mnake our government look like superstars, so those same people believe everything they see on the telly!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do you mean that gym owners are sitting at home working by doing online business? Because if thats what you mean then the money online classes brings in is minimal compared to actual gym memberships. Unless gyms are charging crazy money for online stuff

I think they meant that the people giving out about gyms doing online classes are working at home with no hit to their income.

I think they meant that the people giving out about gyms doing online classes are working at home with no hit to their income.

Yeh I know I had just edited it!! :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gyms are saving in other ways, less staff to pay, less light/heat and other expenses.

The online stuff I’m doing is live classes. I can watch it on my smart tv, almost like being there. We pay online for access.

The instructors are either in their garden or local park or living room or home gym... weather depending.

For a small fee before lockdown we were given some weights, resistance bands as well as a home program. There is phone support five days a week, as in they call you, you fill in a training log on their website at the end of each day that logs with them...

- pedometer measured walking / running / jogging

- distance cycled.

- any other work like weights, cross training, rowing that you did.

It’s doable. The guy who runs the show is a smart man.

All the health benefits but zero of the risk and he’s still making cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

jrosen wrote: »

To be fair on reading this thread no one is saying that. it is just why should gyms be open ahead of other business , and the argument of how peoples mental health will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

And it's not even about earning a living as much as it is trying to keep on top of the mounting business debt! My husband will forego his own living and wages just to be able to keep his staff employed and in work. It's mad how many people think that business owners are being greedy by wanting to stay in business!

I don't think any business is being greedy trying to stay in open, but the gym that went against regulations was not being fair on other business.

This whole thing of playing the mental health card is a bit much in fairness.

Of course he wants to open but be honest it was about his business.

If people can't cope without the gym for a few weeks they have bigger issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Does your husband not get 80% of their wages paid for?
    Edit - just saw he doesn't.

Strumms wrote: »
    Gyms are saving in other ways, less staff to pay, less light/heat and other expenses........................

Loads of them have essentially no income.

It's like restaurants, for everyone making a go of the take-aways there's 10/20 absolutely fnked.

Gyms are saving in other ways, less staff to pay, less light/heat and other expenses.

The online stuff I’m doing is live classes. I can watch it on my smart tv, almost like being there. We pay online for access.

The instructors are either in their garden or local park or living room or home gym... weather depending.

For a small fee before lockdown we were given some weights, resistance bands as well as a home program. There is phone support five days a week, as in they call you, you fill in a training log on their website at the end of each day that logs with them...

- distance cycled.

It’s doable. The guy who runs the show is a smart man.

All the health benefits but zero of the risk and he’s still making cash.

Yeah, the writing was in the wall for me in March. My PT income went to zero for almost 3 months. Eventually, when I picked things up, I moved all of my clients out of the gym and put things in place for the next inevitable lockdown.

Thankfully, I'm surviving. Income is down, but it's manageable. I don't plan on going back to the gym anytime soon, as it's easier to keep my clients on a steadier long-term plan without relying on a facility which will probably get shut down again at some stage.

I understand things aren't so easy for the owner of a facility. It's been a ****ty year for anyone in the fitness industry, like many other industries.

Heating and Lighting costs are literally a fraction of a gyms expenses. The biggest expense is rent & staff. Less staff to pay is just putting someone else life in the ****ter by firing them.

My husband is also doing live classes, and programs and all the other stuff most of his clients hate training at home. Some have tiny apartmnents and no gardens, some having screaming toddlers etc. It's actually not for everyone. The costs are again, a fraction of what the members pay when attending the gym because he refuses to overcharge people for a lesser service.

- distance cycled.
    It’s doable. The guy who runs the show is a smart man. All the health benefits but zero of the risk and he’s still making cash.

The outdoor thing wont work for everyone either. Also my husbands gym is 15km from where we live and he would be breaking the rules by going to meet clients to train them. Also has done alot of the above anyway.

Do you know if your gym owner is making the same as before? Id find it hard to believe that he is. My husband is pretty smart too but he is also fair and refuses to overprice and overcharge, and really doesn;t want to fire his employee.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, the writing was in the wall for me in March. My PT income went to zero for almost 3 months. Eventually, when I picked things up, I moved all of my clients out of the gym and put things in place for the next inevitable lockdown.

Thankfully, I'm surviving. Income is down, but it's manageable. I don't plan on going back to the gym anytime soon, as it's easier to keep my clients on a steadier long-term plan without relying on a facility which will probably get shut down again at some stage.

I understand things aren't so easy for the owner of a facility. It's been a ****ty year for anyone in the fitness industry, like many other industries.

Yes, hopefully it will be a bit more normal next year and we move forward with our lives!

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Does your husband not get 80% of their wages paid for?
    Edit - just saw he doesn't.

Yeh he just found out that he is not entitled to any of the wage subsidy scheme this year because of the way it is average out over the two years.

Basil3 wrote: »

Good outlook, at least when we do get around to normality there will be a cast of people as in yourself, staff, customers who will all be 100% chomping at the bit to engage in getting back to the gym. Getting fit, healthy and staying that way.

I think long term too more people from differing demographics, backgrounds, age groups will be keen to get involved. Especially with all the talk about covid and how underlying conditions etc meant people were more at risk. That goes for many illnesses.

https://medlineplus.gov/benefitsofexercise.html

Heating and Lighting costs are literally a fraction of a gyms expenses. The biggest expense is rent & staff. Less staff to pay is just putting someone else life in the ****ter by firing them.

My husband is also doing live classes, and programs and all the other stuff most of his clients hate training at home. Some have tiny apartmnents and no gardens, some having screaming toddlers etc. It's actually not for everyone. The costs are again, a fraction of what the members pay when attending the gym because he refuses to overcharge people for a lesser service.

The outdoor thing wont work for everyone either. Also my husbands gym is 15km from where we live and he would be breaking the rules by going to meet clients to train them. Also has done alot of the above anyway.

Do you know if your gym owner is making the same as before? Id find it hard to believe that he is. My husband is pretty smart too but he is also fair and refuses to overprice and overcharge, and really doesn;t want to fire his employee.

Don’t hate training at home but I certainly prefer the gym environment. I’d only have a fraction of the equipment in my home and I love the gym as a one stop shop that has everything in terms of equipment and expertise.

I don’t know the gym owner per say. But the guy who leases it for a specific program which I’m involved in obviously needs less staff, doesn’t at the minute need the gym venue... as the instructors are doing things online from home or the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I went to the gym religiously at least three times a week for the last six years. Since March apart from a handful of times when they reopened I haven't been. The gym was my own space to forget about work and home. Mental health is probably bandied about too easily but it did relax me and was a focus to help keep a discipline in life.

I've bought weights for the house but it's not the same and I don't use them whereas I would have drove in the snow to go to the gym. Walks and healthy eating are the best I'm doing at the moment. A lot of the gains are gone!

My gym when it reopened did it's best but I didn't feel like it was enough. For me it was a place with just too many contacts to justify continuing with it. I really hope it comes good though for my own sanity and for all those involved. It would be such a shame to lose it permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Liverpool in the UK's tier 3 lockdown after a big campaign have reopened Gym's

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nobotty wrote: »
    Liverpool in the UK's tier 3 lockdown after a big campaign have reopened Gym's

Yep. Because Lancashire, next door, hadn't closed gyms in Tier 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

They're open in the North too I think

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

So another six week layoff from the weights, an unenjoyable time doing HIIT and Tabata youtube run sessions. Back in the Gym at 6.30 tomorrow, feels like christmas... again and it's nearly proper christmas...

Advertisement