Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

HBC08 wrote: »
    If the inconvenience of not being able to go to the gym for 6 weeks is going to send your mental health into a spiral then you have bigger problems than not being able to go to the gym

Lots of armchair psychologists on here tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭vafankillar

cdeb wrote: »
    No hypocrisy at all.

Shops have to be open. Once you accept that, it's no matter if they serve alcohol/smokes or not.

if you can close down most of the country, it's hardly too far fetched to limited purchases in supermarkets.

The whole idea is to stay home and stay safe and only leave for essentials purchases, not make daily trips to supermarkets cos you're bored or need your fix of scratch cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Inquitus wrote: »
    Just go for a run or a cycle, exercising is not dependent on Gyms!

Seems like a logical statement however if you're out running in the cold and wet you're more likely to lower your immune system and be at risk of picking up a cold etc, particularly if you've been training in a gym and then jumping straight into outdoor cardio training.

Personally I rely on the cross trainer as I picked up a number of knee injuries playing football a few years ago. I can go out for a run but I'm reasonably likely to aggravate my knee by doing so. Also I train first thing in the morning, so I have to contend with the added danger of running in the dark at this time of year.

I know that having been in the gym every week day since it reopened I am in a safe environment in relation to Covid but I'm also aware that convincing non gym goers that this is the case is impossible as looking at the gym situation as an outsider it seems like an ideal breeding ground for Covid.

Ideally Gyms would still be open, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I could convince somebody who isn't a gym goer that they aren't a risk, all me and my fellow gym goers can hope for is a more nuanced approach to any future lockdowns (as they are sure to happen in the new year).

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Quashing covid? Okay so now I see the ignorance showing through. A flat curver mindset here.

You are wrong. It is a pretty harmless virus for the under 65s, all data sets show this. Therefore, as with the flu, the best defence to it is being healthy. Do you think a vaccine is like a silver bullet where you take it and that's covid done for? There are no guarantees in that regard so it is just one line of defence. But for people that keep themselves healthy, covid won't be a concern.
    What data shows it's "pretty harmless for the under 65s"? Please include in this the effect of hospital overruns which would inevitably happen in your scenario. And please ensure to include side-effects such as lung damage, risk of stroke, fatigue, depression, etc, which are all listed as side-effects on wiki. Don't want just a reiteration of death rates.

"It's like the flu" is pure Donald Trump bull**** tbh. Typical of someone whose argument is "A flat-curver mindset here". Heaven forbid I actually listen to the advice of the top doctors in the country and the world.

Otherwise, I don't think logic is going to be your strong point, so I'll duck out.

nullzero wrote: »
    Seems like a logical statement however if you're out running in the cold and wet you're more likely to lower your immune system
    Do you know what's good for your immune system?

Actually getting a sniffle and giving your immune system something to do.

Seriously. Indoor life is why asthma rates in particular (and allergies I think) are so much higher there days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

So hospitals don't get overrun.

So we can continue to deal with the number of people who have the disease and keep deaths and side-effects down to a minimum.

Have you been listening to anything since March? Or do you think that because you lift a few weights, you're immune and nothing else matters?

"You lift a few weights". Haha, so good.

Why would hospitals get overrun? You're are nearly there, just need to keep going on your train of thought. Hospitals would get overrun because people need treatment, correct?

However, people won't need treatment if the main policy was to provide education and supports for greater physical health.

The very old and very vulnerable (important word "very"), from all our data thus far, are clearly those who are at risk of getting seriously ill from covid. However, this is a tiny portion of society. For the vast majority (note "vast"), with a health focus (as outlined) they will be fine in almost all cases. Gyms fit into this health policy which should be the primary government focus with covid.

However, people won't need treatment if the main policy was to provide education and supports for greater physical health.
    Have you a source that says going to the gym will definitively mean you won't be hospitalised from this? Or are you just making things up that suit your point of view here?

What about the fact (and it is a fact) that you can get the benefits of going to a gym elsewhere (either at home or outdoors)?

"Very" is your word - again, source that "very vulnerable" as opposed to "vulnerable" is relevant here? Is asthma "very vulnerable" in your world? That's 40k people here. Diabetes? That's 300k people.

Lot of people for you to not give a **** about

°°°°°

Do you know what's good for your immune system?

Actually getting a sniffle and giving your immune system something to do.

Seriously. Indoor life is why asthma rates in particular (and allergies I think) are so much higher there days.

I agree that the immune system needs to be put through its paces but given the choice I'd prefer to be doing my cardio exercise on a cross trainer in the gym than running on wet pavements in the dark and running the risk of injury.

Glazers Out!

I agree that the immune system needs to be put through its paces but given the choice I'd prefer to be doing my cardio exercise on a cross trainer in the gym than running on wet pavements in the dark and running the risk of injury.
    If that's your choice of preference, that's fine.

But your argument that "if you're out running in the cold and wet you're more likely to lower your immune system" is wrong, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Open the gyms, the most susceptible won't be in a gym anyway.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

If that's your choice of preference, that's fine.

But your argument that "if you're out running in the cold and wet you're more likely to lower your immune system" is wrong, I think.

A cursory Internet search will inform you that cold temperatures do actually suppress the immune system and can lead to an increased likelihood of infection. So you are wrong on that score I'm afraid, but then nobody's perfect of course.

Glazers Out!

What data shows it's "pretty harmless for the under 65s"? Please include in this the effect of hospital overruns which would inevitably happen in your scenario. And please ensure to include side-effects such as lung damage, risk of stroke, fatigue, depression, etc, which are all listed as side-effects on wiki. Don't want just a reiteration of death rates.

"It's like the flu" is pure Donald Trump bull**** tbh. Typical of someone whose argument is "A flat-curver mindset here". Heaven forbid I actually listen to the advice of the top doctors in the country and the world.

Otherwise, I don't think logic is going to be your strong point, so I'll duck out.

Using Trump in an argument. I think you probably use Twitter a lot? The doomers love twitter and the Trump fans love Facebook.

Anyway, I digress. Are you seriously questioning whether this is not harmful to the under 65s? Also, it's amazing you have a detailed list of side effects after less than a year of the virus with the vast majority who have been infected in the world having recovered with none of these issues. Here is your data on the under 65s not needing to worry about covid unless very vulnerable (note "very"):

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/COVID-19_Daily_epidemiology_report_(NPHET)_20201020%20-%20website.pdf

Have a detailed read of the age profiles for hospitalisations, ICU, deaths then compare it to the case numbers - what does it say? Also, note clinical underlying conditions being present in how many cases? Remember, recorded positives in our data is not taking into account those who got covid but were never tested so the qualification here is that while the case numbers are underrepresented the deaths and hospitalisations are far less likely to be so.

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Open the gyms, the most susceptible won't be in a gym anyway.

Yay! Jump in on the thread with a post that missed the point five pages ago, let alone now. :pac:

Have you a source that says going to the gym will definitively mean you won't be hospitalised from this? Or are you just making things up that suit your point of view here?

What about the fact (and it is a fact) that you can get the benefits of going to a gym elsewhere (either at home or outdoors)?

"Very" is your word - again, source that "very vulnerable" as opposed to "vulnerable" is relevant here? Is asthma "very vulnerable" in your world? That's 40k people here. Diabetes? That's 300k people.

Lot of people for you to not give a **** about

Do you have a source to say that gyms with social distancing and good hygiene are contributing to the spread of covid? Surely that is the starting point for your ridiculous argument that they should be closed.

A cursory Internet search will inform you that cold temperatures do actually suppress the immune system and can lead to an increased likelihood of infection. So you are wrong on that score I'm afraid, but then nobody's perfect of course.

As a small side point, it's quite slippy running on pavements at the moment with all the leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

They are full of germs.proper order there being locked down and this idiot planning on opening his gym in D15 2moro for mental health should be lock up in mount joy

You'd have to throw up a link to have a look at tbh. Suppressing your immune system may mean you're more likely to get a cold - but that's not the same as being bad for your immune system.

HBC08 wrote: »
    If the inconvenience of not being able to go to the gym for 6 weeks is going to send your mental health into a spiral then you have bigger problems than not being able to go to the gym

yeah i'm ****in mental ? what's your point? all of the bigger problems are outside of my control ? if therapy cost the same as a gym membership i'd be going 3 times a week as well

They are full of germs.proper order there being locked down and this idiot planning on opening his gym in D15 2moro for mental health should be lock up in mount joy

The extremists have arrived with their reinforced keyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Yay! Jump in on the thread with a post that missed the point five pages ago, let alone now. :pac:

Ain't nobody got time to read a thread.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

You'd have to throw up a link to have a look at tbh. Suppressing your immune system may mean you're more likely to get a cold - but that's not the same as being bad for your immune system.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cold+weather+immune+system&oq=cold+weather+imm&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0i22i30i457j0j0i22i30.2949j0j7&client=ms-android-motorola-gfw&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

In a pandemic, anything that lowers your immune system has to be seen as net negative as then you are more susceptible to catching covid if you do happen to be in contact with somebody who has it. Surely this is self evident?

Glazers Out!

Fine. So as I say, you're a bit more likely to get sick, but that's good for you in the long run.

The sale of cigarettes and alcohol should be banned while gyms are banned. Fast food takeaways should also be closed. Otherwise, it is another hypocrisy in this bizarre covid hysteria society we live in.

Rubbish, that’s like saying people should be banned from exercising in their own home.

I will drink beer all weekend at home and have zero chance of giving anyone covid but someone in a gym could catch it from someone else and get sick themselves or worse pass it on to someone else.

They are not essential so should be closed simple as that.

°°°°°

Fine. So as I say, you're a bit more likely to get sick, but that's good for you in the long run.

Not in a pandemic when a trip to buy a pint of milk could put you in contact with an asymptomatic person with covid.

Glazers Out!

Rubbish, that’s like saying people should be banned from exercising in their own home.

I will drink beer all weekend at home and have zero chance of giving anyone covid but someone in a gym could catch it from someone else and get sick themselves or worse pass it on to someone else.

lmfao gyms arent essential but packed supermarkets with people buying cans are grand

So you are advocating for personal responsibility when it comes to destroying your body with fags and booze but the health conscious gym goer is not afforded the same personal responsibility?

If your concern is the spread of covid then where is the data showing gyms were spreading it?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

i can't continue to go the gym to keep mentally & physically healthy but i can serve people alcohol, smokes, lotto tickets/scratch cards all day in work. absolutely nuts

Yea tbh these rules are made up by non gym goers- haven’t a breeze what goes on or don’t care.
    Any how, fcuk the ****. TJ Reid gyms are doing good classes online €10 a week so get stuck into something like that and let the fat **** vegetate watching their daily Covid numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 55,528 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Would the gym owners quit the bull**** use of the mental health card, and simply tell the truth: we are a business that would like to keep trading..

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Another lard arse that hasn’t a clue what gyms are about.
    Yes lock them all up- bring on the anarchy and destabilising influence that will rein- it worked so well with the hunger strikers etc didn’t it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Macu17ab

If there is no evidence suggesting or being traced back to gyms, that would suggest they are a factor that perpetuates the pandemic then what is the logic in closing them? It is just another blanket action with very little thought put into it - like the €350 universal payment for new workers, long term workers, and part time workers alike.

People are saying that gyms are not essential - Can you honestly say I should be as motivated to go for a jog in this wet, Irish winter weather on my own, as if I were to be attending my local gym which is fully equipped, and following the guidelines?

Not to mention the martial arts gyms which have been cutting out all contact elements of their routines. My own boxing gym has been working diligently to organise small classes through our whatsapp group, keep people wearing masks and keeping their distance.

Again, no evidence to suggest gyms have had a relevant impact on the case numbers - the WHO has even told EU states not to use lockdowns as a response to rising cases, where they should only be used for us to get our house in order regarding having the hospitals prepared.

This meaningless lockdown will end (hopefully) in six weeks, we’ll be grand for a month, and then we’ll be back to level 5.

Let people have their time at the gym so the impending mental health crisis will be at least somewhat lessened by these people having an outlet throughout all this madness.

Advertisement