Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

walshb wrote: »
    Would the gym owners quit the bull**** use of the mental health card, and simply tell the truth: we are a business that would like to keep trading..

Maybe when people like yourself drop the transparent virtue signalling?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,528 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Maybe when people like yourself drop the transparent virtue signalling?

Not sure this is following logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Macu17ab wrote: »
    If there is no evidence suggesting or being traced back to gyms, that would suggest they are a factor that perpetuates the pandemic then what is the logic in closing them? It is just another blanket action with very little thought put into it - like the €350 universal payment for new workers, long term workers, and part time workers alike.

People are saying that gyms are not essential - Can you honestly say I should be as motivated to go for a jog in this wet, Irish winter weather on my own, as if I were to be attending my local gym which is fully equipped, and following the guidelines?

Not to mention the martial arts gyms which have been cutting out all contact elements of their routines. My own boxing gym has been working diligently to organise small classes through our whatsapp group, keep people wearing masks and keeping their distance.

Again, no evidence to suggest gyms have had a relevant impact on the case numbers - the WHO has even told EU states not to use lockdowns as a response to rising cases, where they should only be used for us to get our house in order regarding having the hospitals prepared.

This meaningless lockdown will end (hopefully) in six weeks, we’ll be grand for a month, and then we’ll be back to level 5.

Let people have their time at the gym so the impending mental health crisis will be at least somewhat lessened by these people having an outlet throughout all this madness.

The HSEs own report had THREE cases arising from “sporting activities and fitness”. THREE. And that’s not exactly narrowing it down to gyms either.

No proof.
    Close em down anyway.

nullzero wrote: »
    I agree that the immune system needs to be put through its paces but given the choice I'd prefer to be doing my cardio exercise on a cross trainer in the gym than running on wet pavements in the dark and running the risk of injury.

You could probably buy it for less than a years gym membership if you are going purely to use a cross trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

cdeb wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what being a mod on the chess forum as to do with my point really?

Don't imagine Chess players are likely to miss the gym in any way shape or form?

Anyhoo, back on topic, I hope that gyms can reopen in Level 3 even if it's with reduced numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You could probably buy it for less than a years gym membership if you are going purely to use a cross trainer.

I never said I purely use the gym for the cross trainer. It is the best option for cardio for me however. I use an awful lot more than the cross trainer in the gym.

A good quality cross trainer that would be comparable to that you'd find in a gym would knock you back a couple of grand, the cheaper ones aren't anywhere near as effective and they all require maintenance which most people will ignore. Then there's the issue of space in the home setting, we don't all have the space to accommodate such an item.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Another gym on the northside of Dublin following Westside Gym in staying open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Which one?

There's a bunch of them staying open, at last count there was 9 Dublin gyms staying open.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Which one?

Latest one I saw was Mind over Matter gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I’ll be honest I don’t agree with gyms being closed fully but the gyms using mental health as a reason to stay open is bigger bulls**t then the decision to close

sky88 wrote: »
    I’ll be honest I don’t agree with gyms being closed fully but the gyms using mental health as a reason to stay open is bigger bulls**t then the decision to close

Says you.

Sure, some people will abuse the term "mental health" but most won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

People benefit hugely from exercise so there is no denying that. Call it mental health, call it well being, call it a mood boost. The wording doesnt matter, bottom line people feel better physically and mentally when they exercise.

Of course gyms have a financial motive for staying open, thats pretty obvious. But they are also very much aware that there are far reaching benefits to working out and by highlighting the positive impacts from exercise they are hoping to be allowed remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Absolute horse sh1te having gyms closed - I will bet there hasn't been one confirmed transmission associated with a gym. I'm a cyclist ( don't hate me for that ) but I usually transition to the gym for training around this time of year because cycling in Ireland in the winter is utter sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It would cost the guys of a decades membership in flyefit to buy a gym quality cross trainer......... Maybe your twice a week mates could get by on a 300 euro argos special though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Absolute horse sh1te having gyms closed - I will bet there hasn't been one confirmed transmission associated with a gym. I'm a cyclist ( don't hate me for that ) but I usually transition to the gym for training around this time of year because cycling in Ireland in the winter is utter sh!te.

According to people on here, you should just nail your bike to the floor and pedal........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

hynesie08 wrote: »
    According to people on here, you should just nail your bike to the floor and pedal........

Got an Oculus Quest 2 and Fit XR, should do me for the next 6 weeks :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Don't imagine Chess players are likely to miss the gym in any way shape or form?

Anyhoo, back on topic
    Well, harsh but fair I guess!

Though the top players in particular would actively keep in shape cos you'd be surprised what a 5-6 hour game would take out of you.

Flip side is there are recorded cases of people dying during games because they would have been slightly on the flabby side (probably with high blood pressure, etc, and mightn't have been far from keeling over anyway)

[I said I'd stay off topic cos the on-topic stuff was gone a bit crap :)]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Though the top players in particular would actively keep in shape cos you'd be surprised what a 5-6 hour game would take out of you.

Flip side is there are recorded cases of people dying during games because they would have been slightly on the flabby side (probably with high blood pressure, etc, and mightn't have been far from keeling over anyway)

I wonder did they die because of chess or with chess..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

One can only imagine how tiring Chess Boxing is !

I understand people's concerns with people breathing heavily etc, however a Public Health doctor informed me the statistics they have, don't indicate any significant level of transmission in gyms.

Granted for the last couple of weeks tracing and case origin has proved pretty difficult due to the shear number of cases, but at least that's what the previous evidence has shown, and that's somewhat backed up by the stats they have in the UK too.

I am somewhat biased in that I do own a gym. Do I think any of our clientele will kill themselves in the next 6 weeks as a result of this ?.......I would expect (and hope) not. But I am certain a large amount will end up being quite depressed and it'll vastly effect their quality of life and potentially the quality of life of those they interact with (spouses, children etc).
    It will also have a negative economic impact.
    For many, using the gym is the only thing making their life seem half normal right now.

Of course we have to reduce the level of cases, and drastically. The question is, will closing gyms have any meaningful impact on that ?, and if the data suggests not, then why needlessly lower people's quality of life (even if it is just for 6 weeks) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Seriously, it's 6 weeks not 6 months. If you're going to do a level 5 closure then go all in. Leaving gyms open just add another level of risk albeit a low one.

Just give them the 6 weeks lockdown and see where we are after that.

And mental health of not going to the gym? Imagine being a Nurse/Doctor and facing into the second wave hitting, now that would affect your mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

The owner should be locked up for putting public health at risk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Big Ears wrote: »
    One can only imagine how tiring Chess Boxing is !
    3 minute rounds of chess. Pansies :P
    Big Ears wrote: »
    But I am certain a large amount will end up being quite depressed and it'll vastly effect their quality of life and potentially the quality of life of those they interact with (spouses, children etc).
    It will also have a negative economic impact.
    For many, using the gym is the only thing making their life seem half normal right now.
    To be honest, you're making the gym sound like an unhealthy addiction there. Can't go to the gym for a few weeks and people would start to take it out at home? Those people have a problem, and it's not the gyms being closed.

Everyone's missing a hobby or a third space (of which pubs are probably Ireland's best example, but they're shut). There's no reason why gyms should be treated any differently. "Ah sure don't I give it an aul wipe down after", as suggested by others, really isn't a valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Flyer1 wrote: »

I personally know a lad who was contact traced from a confirmed case in his gym, he tested positive.

Look if they're closing golf courses, you can't really argue with a gym. A bit like schools, you'd have to be fairly dense to try argue that a gym/school is not the perfect environment to transmit an airborne virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The owner should be locked up for putting public health at risk.

If someone chooses to take personal responsibility and go to the gym, they accept the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

GazzaL wrote: »
    If someone chooses to take personal responsibility and go to the gym, they accept the risk.

What about the risk they pose to others at the gym, and after they leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Allinall wrote: »

Everyone that goes there accepts the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Allinall wrote: »

I think this has gone too far- are people so frightened now that all risk in life cannot be tolerated?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I think this has gone too far- are people so frightened now that all risk in life cannot be tolerated?

Where did anyone say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

GazzaL wrote: »

How about the owner of the gym putting the health of the people going too the said gym at risk ??? If the gym is open people will go.if there not open they won't go.
    They should be all locked closed until the pandemic is over simple.

Advertisement