Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ironhead93

McGregor made a tweet earlier demanding gyms be opened, I absolutely can't stand that mutt but hopefully some publicity like that will help.

silverharp wrote: »
    I m sure there are no shortages of gym equipment at the moment:rolleyes:

I've managed to get every one of my clients a set of dumbbells for in their home since the start of Covid. All just basic sets from Argos. Has taken a bit of effort on my part, regularly checking for availability, but got them all sorted.

All other equipment is no problem to get ahold of, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Basil3 wrote: »
    I've managed to get every one of my clients a set of dumbbells for in their home since the start of Covid. All just basic sets from Argos. Has taken a bit of effort on my part, regularly checking for availability, but got them all sorted.

All other equipment is no problem to get ahold of, AFAIK.

for What I want there is a lot of sold out,or we are getting stuff in next week if that is to be believed

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The_Brood wrote: »
    I don't understand what is this government's plan. So no gyms, and what about those of us who don't have a garden and don't live near a park? Exercise in the middle of the streets?

Once again poor people and/or people with limited access to exercise environments are left in the garbage can, with next to no one talking about it.

Yes exercising in the street isn't bad , I do it every night on my jog. But the area you described sounds quite busy maybe it's not that safe for joggers, but to be fair that's a pretty unique circumstance almost everyone in Dublin lives in a suburb and even in working class areas there's generous amounts of green space in Dublin

The only place in Dublin I can think of that fits your description is stoneybatter area and in the past The liberties but there's quite a few new parks there now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

silverharp wrote: »
    for What I want there is a lot of sold out,or we are getting stuff in next week if that is to be believed

I have none of what I actually want, tbh.

But bands are plentiful and they are very versatile. Looking at making up some sandbags and no real issue getting the supplies.

• Advertisement

I had to go and check across the road. McDonald’s doing a roaring trade in the drive thru.

Gyms closed.

When are we applauding then gov again?

Gyms aren't essential, eating is and its also take away.

I am learning there are some people with serious OCD/addiction issues to a gym of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The_Brood wrote: »
    I don't understand what is this government's plan. So no gyms, and what about those of us who don't have a garden and don't live near a park? Exercise in the middle of the streets?

Once again poor people and/or people with limited access to exercise environments are left in the garbage can, with next to no one talking about it.

Where do you live? In my mostly council estate I'm about 10 min cycle from park, I'm managing ok. I bet there are things closer than you think.

I am learning there are some people with serious OCD/addiction issues to a gym of all places.

Having worked in the industry for 20 odd years, you'd definitely find that a lot of regular gym users are creatures of habit, and being a gym user really is part of their identity, so I can understand why it would be hard to go without.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Eating McDonalds is essential?

You trolled the closed pubs thread for months and now you're here spouting the same old rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Community transmission is different to clogging your arteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

You trolled the closed pubs thread for months and now you're here spouting the same old rubbish.

In fairness he said eating is essential

It's personal taste as to what you eat. You're arguing gyms are healthy and McDonalds is not. That's not the argument

Food is essential, Gyms are not

I didnt troll the pubs thread for months.

The pubs closing was a far bigger deal to me than the gym as I don't go to the gym but I would have gone to the pub at least once and usually twice a week nearly every week for many many years (and 3 or 4 times a week in years gone by) yet I got over it and didn't even return when they did open as I felt it was too risky.

The is no more essential than the pub, you can drink at home and you can exercise at home. It may not be exactly the same experience and you may not get exactly what you want but for the sake of managing the virus spread its not much of an ask to do without both for as long as is needed. It will still only be a short amount of time on the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

As a regular gym go'er it's not ideal for me that the Gyms closed but I understand it completely.

This is about doing alternatives. As someone said above. You can drink cans but not pints. You can workout just not in a gym.

It's not ideal but it's better than nothing. Gyms are not essential. If people want to argue that, they'd be quicker arguing why golf courses are closed when they are open space and much easier to social distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

SAMTALK wrote: »
    For one who is obsessed about the mental health benefits of the gym you are rather flippant re health care workers

If you are so bothered about the health benefits of the gym you would find some other way of staying healthy surely

I am and will. It does not mean I cannot argue for keeping them open. Your passive attitude is weak and ignorant tbh.

I am and will. It does not mean I cannot argue for keeping them open. Your passive attitude is weak and ignorant tbh.

Why? Because I don't agree with you

You cannot argue that gyms are essential .

You can argue that the gym is good for you
    You can argue that you will miss the gym
    you can argue that it is a ridiculous restriction

BUT they are not essential

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/gym-closing-level-7-covid-19-5240833-Oct2020/

More waffle posted in the journal today.

Smacks of “the gyms don’t affect me, therefore I don’t care”.

The author ticks the box for self-righteous, woke, Twitter-using BSitter. I didn't read the article but presumably there's a "we're all in this together" spoof statement?

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Why? Because I don't agree with you

You cannot argue that gyms are essential .

You can argue that the gym is good for you
    You can argue that you will miss the gym
    you can argue that it is a ridiculous restriction

BUT they are not essential

Your passive attitude to accepting their closure without question is what is weak and ignorant.

Can I ask if you think the end game in all of this is a vaccine?

The author ticks the box for self-righteous, woke, Twitter-using BSitter. I didn't read the article but presumably there's a "we're all in this together" spoof statement?

Maybe have a read

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yep......
    The restrictions are hard on all of us but we need to stick together and look after each other. And if that means I’ve to give up the gym for a few weeks to do that, then so be it.

paw patrol wrote: »
    I go to the gym 5 or 6 days a week and have trained in one since my mid 20s (i'm 43).
    Be pretty odd hobby selection if they "riled" me, don't you think? I actually stated in my post that I loved the gym .
    You've an odd take on my post tbh

What relevance does people taking pictures of their arse have to do with them being closed? And also the gym owner's attitude, as you allege, where they supported the government when all places were closed and now do not support the government - what relevance is that as to whether gyms should be open?

• Advertisement

Both missed the point of the discussion really.
    Mcdonalds is also of course not essential. But that's not what it's about, whether something is essential to survival or not. It's about weighing up jobs/economy vs risk of infection. Risk of infection from a takeaway is almost zero, so why close this non essential service needlessly, risk from people sweating and panting in an enclosed space sharing equipmnet is , of course, far from zero risk, it's also non essential, so that's why it's closed.

It's pretty obvious and clear, so comparing to other non essential services with minimal transmission risk is a pointless exercise.

There may be benefit to discussing how gyms could opened with minimal risk, but trying to argue they are already minimal risk is just not convincing at all

Your passive attitude to accepting their closure without question is what is weak and ignorant.

:D
    Again let me explain

Gyms are not essential. If you need to exercise there are alternatives

I dont know what the end game is. Does anyone really know

Nobody's being passive, just logical. Everything is being closed because now is not the time for benefit of doubt. This includes non essential and possibly or even likely risky points of transmission, obviously gyms fall under this category. It's 6 weeks and a relatively small sacrifice for the large benefit of maintaining functioning healthcare and breaking uncontrolled chain of transmission and case growth. There's many other outlets for exercise that a majority of people are prepared to make use of, we should be encouraging outdoor forms of previously indoor focused habits regardless for the next year.

I dont think any of the arguments so far for keeping gyms open have been strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Nobody's being passive, just logical. Everything is being closed because now is not the time for benefit of doubt. This includes non essential and possibly or even likely risky points of transmission, obviously gyms fall under this category. It's 6 weeks and a relatively small sacrifice for the large benefit of maintaining functioning healthcare and breaking uncontrolled chain of transmission and case growth. There's many other outlets for exercise that a majority of people are prepared to make use of, we should be encouraging outdoor forms of previously indoor focused habits regardless for the next year.

I dont think any of the arguments so far for keeping gyms open have been strong.

Because gyms weren't closed from March till August?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What relevance does people taking pictures of their arse have to do with them being closed? And also the gym owner's attitude, as you allege, where they supported the government when all places were closed and now do not support the government - what relevance is that as to whether gyms should be open?

Look, this is all hot air.

Gyms are closed for the next 6 weeks. You can argue the whys and the wherefores but it makes zero difference.

So your only option is to buy your own gear and exercise at home. It's sh*t, but that's the reality and we need to accept it.

This thread is become pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

The gym is a "nice to have" rather than a "must have". And unfortunately, they can be risky environments when it comes to community transmission. How could they not be? People are being asked to wear masks when they go shopping or take the bus because of the risk of airborne infection. Yet they can go into indoor gyms of every shape, size and ventilation. Places where people are breathing heavily, sweating and not wearing masks. How could there not be a risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭celt262

There is a Gym across from my work and i have seen people enter and exit it at lunch time today.

Anyone there is an argument for keeping a lot of place open but the idea is to keep people at home and the more places that are open the more people will be out and about and mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Have a good sex session would burn off a few calories

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

lads the gym clearly isn't doing much for your mental health like you say it is, if you're all throwing the toys out of the pram because you can't go for a few weeks.
    Use the next 6 weeks to do other things that are good for your mental health. One day you may be sick or you may injure yourself or you might be drafted to fight in the upcoming climate wars or God knows what, and it may restrict your ability to go to the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Where do you live? In my mostly council estate I'm about 10 min cycle from park, I'm managing ok. I bet there are things closer than you think.

Dublin city center. Tiny 'parks' here and there and unsurprisingly all overcrowded - not exactly Covid smart.

Advertisement