Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1660 super running hot and loud

Options
  • 21-10-2020 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I recently upgraded to a 1660 super which I noticed was already a little bit louder and hotter than my old 1050ti but that didn't really bother me too much once I installed MSI Afterburner and the temps were only around 60 degrees when playing Apex Legends (some games would make it hotter and louder)

However, I wanted to record some gameplay clips so used geforce experience for the first time. I noticed that I was using much lower graphics settings than the ones they recommended as optimised so clicked to optimise them. Straight away my gpu got hotter and louder as I went in to a game. I lowered a lot of my specs and restarted with Afterburner running. My GPU was ok when there wasnt a lot going on but once in a fight I notice that it jumps up to about 72 degrees. I know that isnt bad, but I find it frustrating that my new GPU is louder and hotter than my old one even though I installed more case fans to improve airflow too. To be honest it's the noise that bothers me more than the heat.

Has this happened anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Try undervolting it and making a custom fan curve to lower fan speeds. Not an ideal solution but it should work.

Also, in Power Management mode in Nvidia Control panel see that you are using 'Optimal Power' and not 'Prefer Maximum Performance'.
    That can lead to a louder and hotter GPU too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

+1 to custom fan curve, can also just have them run at max 40-50% at all times.

If you want to direct air at the GPU constantly, I can vouch for the Aerocool Astro 24 - it's quiet & currently functions as the only fans cooling my RTX 2070 Super with an Arctic heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

It sounds pretty normal. 72c is not hot in the overall scheme of things, and if it's a cheap model, they are usually louder. It depends on quality/size of heatsink, fan design, etc.

What you can do is set a custom fan curve, it will get hotter, but make less noise. Anything under 90c is fine really if not ideal.

Advertisement