Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open windows no coats

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 March2323

Seems to be a common policy, windows have to be open apparently to dissipate the virus particles. As the weather gets colder, some schools seem to be allowing students to wear the PE tracksuit. I'm sure if enough parents complain about how impractical it is to wear a skirt schools will understand and be reasonable

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

March2323 wrote: »
    Seems to be a common policy, windows have to be open apparently to dissipate the virus particles. As the weather gets colder, some schools seem to be allowing students to wear the PE tracksuit. I'm sure if enough parents complain about how impractical it is to wear a skirt schools will understand and be reasonable
    Why can't the girls wear trousers if they wish? Are there still schools not allowing them to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why can't the girls wear trousers if they wish? Are there still schools not allowing them to do so?

Mixed schools have to offer the option but all-girls schools can mandate skirts only, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Having read over the thread I agree with you - I also find the fixation on coats hilarious - they can be extremely uncomfortable to wear all day particularly for certain activities. Thermals and a hat or fleece are by far more comfortable than a coat and just as effective.

Why dont we let the people wearing them decide. Sitting down is very hard in the cold. I work in the cold and I like layers for working but if my outer layer had to be trousers a shirt and jumper and my mammy had to dress me, taking off the underlayers become an issue.

Will the teachers union allow the teachers the undress my son to take off a base layer if the sun is plowing through the window and he is dressed for a sled ride with santy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Why dont we let the people wearing them decide. Sitting down is very hard in the cold. I work in the cold and I like layers for working but if my outer layer had to be trousers a shirt and jumper and my mammy had to dress me, taking off the underlayers become an issue.

Will the teachers union allow the teachers the undress my son to take off a base layer if the sun is plowing through the window and he is dressed for a sled ride with santy?

That is a pure nonsense post - people have an outdated understanding of thermals - newer versions which respond to the body are available in marks / dunnes - its like having an extra layer. If you become too hot - off with the jumper and you are good - no need to strip off at all - but sure that doesn’t suit the big bad teachers narrative. Drama for the sake of drama.

• Advertisement

That is a pure nonsense post - people have an outdated understanding of thermals - newer versions which respond to the body are available in marks / dunnes - its like having an extra layer. If you become too hot - off with the jumper and you are good - no need to strip off at all - but sure that doesn’t suit the big bad teachers narrative. Drama for the sake of drama.

Eta - even most JI children can manage to put on and off their jumper .

You seem to be struggling with this. They cant take off their jumper or shirt. Should 30 9 or 10 year old kids be fiddling with shirt buttons to remove a third or fourth layer then put it all back on every time they are a bit warm or cold, can every parent in Ireland afford these state of the art thermals?
    Teachers couldnt afford their own laptops during the last lockdown and they werent out of pocket during it, but now we need the latest technology in thermal sportwear and teach our 9 year olds how to strip and replace layers like a formula 1 pit crew changes tyres.

Their top layers have to be a jumper with a shirt underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

You seem to be struggling with this. They cant take off their jumper or shirt. Should 30 9 or 10 year old kids be fiddling with shirt buttons to remove a third or fourth layer then put it all back on every time they are a bit warm or cold, can every parent in Ireland afford these state of the art thermals?
    Teachers couldnt afford their own laptops during the last lockdown and they werent out of pocket during it, but now we need the latest technology in thermal sportwear and teach our 9 year olds how to strip and replace layers like a formula 1 pit crew changes tyres.

A gilet would probably work well. Less restrictive than a coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

What do you mean teachers weren't out of pocket? Latest survey from TUI suggests many were.

As regards the rest of your nonsense post, I truely despair. You're actively creating issues where they don't exist. Students should be allowed wear whatever additional clothing keeps them comfortable (any school denying this should be challenged, a phonecall to the principal should suffice), the suggestions made up thread of baselayer thermals/gilets are much more practical than heavy coats for the reasons outlined above.

Why does any and every issue even half related to school seem to invoke complete over reactions? Madness.

What do you mean teachers weren't out of pocket? Latest survey from TUI suggests many were.

As regards the rest of your nonsense post, I truely despair. You're actively creating issues where they don't exist. Students should be allowed wear whatever additional clothing keeps them comfortable (any school denying this should be challenged, a phonecall to the principal should suffice), the suggestions made up thread of baselayer thermals/gilets are much more practical than heavy coats for the reasons outlined above.

Why does any and every issue even half related to school seem to invoke complete over reactions? Madness.

I think you are the one over reacting. I dont know what a gilet is. My sons coat is comfortable. He likes wearing it. How do you measure what my sons find comfortable? Why does he need a school jumper with a shirt under it to be his most outer clothing. Is this a control issue? We are all making changes for covid. Why cant teachers allow themselves to look at a few different colour jackets while working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

I think you are the one over reacting. I dont know what a gilet is. My sons coat is comfortable. He likes wearing it. How do you measure what my sons find comfortable? Why does he need a school jumper with a shirt under it to be his most outer clothing. Is this a control issue? We are all making changes for covid. Why cant teachers allow themselves to look at a few different colour jackets while working.

The coat may be comfortable but many students (or people in general) will not find a coat comfortable to wear while sitting for long periods of time and writing or reading. We don't care about looking at different colour coats. In my school this isn't an issue and some students have reverted to thin jackets. Many wear layers under their uniform as needed or gilets ( a gilet is a sleeveless coat/ bodywarmer) as they are more practical.

In what way am I overreacting?

TBH I think you are the one struggling here- struggling to whip up faux outrage. Our school is cold at the best of times more so now we are all adults and children managing fine with our layers - no one is feeling the need to strip as of yet. :) It’s amazing the difference a € 9.84 thermal vest from dunnes makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Mrsmum wrote: »
    A gilet would probably work well. Less restrictive than a coat.

I have started wearing the Gillet the last few weeks. Its perfect really. Keeps your core warm without being too overbearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

Secondary school teacher here, personally I don't allow students to wear coats. I am teaching in a DEIS school and I am tired of looking at the scummy drug dealing students lounging around in their Canadian goose coats.

Also the open window thing is a laugh, as if.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Ive news for ye. Even with the windows and door open an overcrowded small room with 30 + children is still warm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some rather tetchy and snarky replies here. They are not necessary
    Please, when replying, leave it for ten seconds and decide do you really want to make the post.
    Everyone is trying their best to get through this, in spite of the DES response and in spite of some Boards of Management.
    There is nobody wants the students or teachers to get Covid or colds.
    We are all on the same page.

Advertisement