Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoom/Teams get togethers - setup advice

Options
  • 21-10-2020 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭

Looking at joining on-line activities during lockdown, mostly via teams/zoom. I have a decent TV in the living room. I'm looking on advise of the best setup I can get using a laptop connected to the TV. Should I get an external webcam to place on the top of the TV? How about a good microphone with stand? I'd be interested to know if anybody else has done this and what works best. Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Why get the TV involved? Just use your laptop (like everyone else)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

They want the audience to get the full wide screen experience of their "performance".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Why get the TV involved? Just use your laptop (like everyone else)?

These would be household activities so 4+ people involved. Huddled around a laptop won't be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll need everyone to STFU as you probably wont have four headsets thus an omnidirectional mic picking up every little thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

ED E wrote: »
    You'll need everyone to STFU as you probably wont have four headsets thus an omnidirectional mic picking up every little thing.

For room size microphone, get a Jabra puck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For some Zoom calls, I parked a laptop beside my TV and output via HDMI. I used the mic on the web cam to pick up audio. It generally worked out for the two of us although we'd have been chatting rather than any frantic activities. I did find the cable for the USB camera a little short so I had to awkwardly perch the laptop a little and couldn't centre the camera as much as I wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is a mic and speakers needed for Zoom? Any recommendations of where to get please reasonably priced?

Audio Service currently not running on Windows 10, how to enable, not sure what happened? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is a mic and speakers needed for Zoom? Any recommendations of where to get please reasonably priced?

Audio Service currently not running on Windows 10, how to enable, not sure what happened? :o

Laptop or desktop. A laptop will have the mic and speakers built in.

As for the other Hit windows key + R. Type services.msc and hit enter. Scroll down and see if Windows Audio is running.

Advertisement