Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can somebody clarify this sentence to me?

• 21-10-2020 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

I found myself reading an article about a crime that happened near my area a couple years ago. The crime occured in 2012, and the trial was in 2017. Can someone clarify this sentence to me?

"He sentenced ****** to eight years in prison with one year suspended and backdated it to when he went into custody on 28 August 2012."

Does that mean he was released already? Or the 7/8 years in prison starts from 2017, to be released in 2024? Sorry I'm a bit thick like

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So yeah, 8 years from the date he was first in prison, minus 1. So if he was in prison on 28/08/12, his release (not including early) would have been 27/08/19.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Can someone be in custody for 5 years without a trial?

camz09 wrote: »
    I found myself reading an article about a crime that happened near my area a couple years ago. The crime occurred in 2012, and the trial was in 2017. Can someone clarify this sentence to me?

"He sentenced ****** to eight years in prison with one year suspended and backdated it to when he went into custody on 28 August 2012."

Does that mean he was released already? Or the 7/8 years in prison starts from 2017, to be released in 2024? Sorry I'm a bit thick like

My understanding of this is that he has been already released.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

TP_CM wrote: »

There is no statutory limit. But the general principle Justice delayed is
    Justice denied
    applies.

We don't know if the delays were caused by the prosecution or the defense. Or neither being some other reason.

If the prosecution caused undue delay he could look for the case to be thrown out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

Wow, thanks for the clarification lads. Fkin hell, barely 8 years for stabbing someone repeatedly at the their doorstep :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Interestingly, in December last year the Minister for Justice was unable to provide the Dáil with details of the length of time prisoners were spending on remand, as the Irish Prison Service claimed it would be too difficult to calculate.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-12-17/253/#pq-answers-251_252_253

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He was convicted of murder and got life for that. He appealed that, the conviction was overturned and he got a retrial. The story in the OP is about the outcome of the retrial, which was a conviction for manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Remission is a third, so 8 years minus 32 months, 5 years 6 months is what he'd have to do. If he went in 2012, hes definitely out.

Remission is a third, so 8 years minus 32 months, 5 years 6 months is what he'd have to do. If he went in 2012, hes definitely out.

Can he cash in those time already spent in prison credits when he gets convicted of his next crime? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement