Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trickster (Canadian miniseries)

• 21-10-2020 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

An unusual feel to this series. Kinda like a cross between Breaking Bad and a Canadian-Native-American based Supernatural.

6 episodes and IMDB says it's a miniseries:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11187454/

Trailer:

I don't think I'm at all familiar with mythos of the Haisla people so I'm kinda guessing a lot about what supernatural stuff is going on here.

1 & 2: Looks to me like the
    mother is a witch/shaman and Wade is a supernatural being who maybe is just immortal.
    Although when he talked to the other three in the pool hall,
    I'm not sure that it's not some kind of body snatching this and he's some special vessel (with a mind) who they intend on taking.
    Saying all that, Trickster has me thinking of Loki which is probably not the same but still.. confusing me all the same.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Trickster starts on Syfy UK on Monday November 23rd at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3: Alright, so
    a trickster is a shapeshifter. Wonder who or what those others are. They look dodgy like they want to drain the tricksters or something.
    One scene that felt a bit weak was the protest... is that how protests are done nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Slydice wrote: »
    3: Alright, so
    a trickster is a shapeshifter. Wonder who or what those others are. They look dodgy like they want to drain the tricksters or something.
    One scene that felt a bit weak was the protest... is that how protests are done nowadays?
    Nowadays, they also seem to have very old foster children, ones who look about 30

To me, what I've seen of the episodes so far, the whole thing seems to be bland.

4: OK! That was a bit wierd.
    So it looks like they are that creature that was rummaging through the garbage. I wonder is it the trickster is blocking them from leaving this world somehow.

5: Bit of an OH! Ooooooh moment there when it became clear that
    Wade was gonna try and kill the son Jared. Think I've gottit now that the others are the 'Ancients' and they are somehow linked to Wade. I wonder does each Trickster have one set of Ancients tied to them. Like maybe Jared might get 3 new ones if Wade goes.

All the same, that last scene with
    Maggie. As I imagined all the stuff going through her head. Just the situation right there and then. Like.. is a witch, trickster son, killed son, not really though, with Dad, not really though, he doesn't know though, probably more.. That was intense!

• Advertisement

Finished. Decent series overall. I'd like to think I've learned something about Haisla culture/mythos from it. I don't know if it took liberties or not but I'd read some reviews that sounds like it was recieved well. If a season 2 was made, I'd be interested.
    Definitely felt like this ended a bit like how a Supernatural season would end
    :)
    Slydice wrote: »
    An unusual feel to this series. Kinda like a cross between Breaking Bad and a Canadian-Native-American based Supernatural.

I'd stick with this, maybe a little less on the breaking bad side than I expected. Obviously not as high budget as those shows had in their later seasons but then again, those shows also had lesser budgets earlier on.

6: So
    they've kinda left it open-ended. Jared seems to be free to explore what it means to be a trickster now though and Wade can come back. Not sure how they want the audience to feel about the Ancients. Sometimes it feels like they are kinda on-side but then the ending had them feeling really like they're gonna be the big bad in the future. Also that they are trapped here but have a disdain for here and have lived so long. It's wierd. Closest I have to understand their and Wades lives would be the live action highlander tv series but I've little understanding of what they want from our world. Maybe the closest they are to our world is tourists. I dunno.

Advertisement