Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M12 dog tooth connectors with M10 coach bolts.

Options
  • 22-10-2020 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Would it be fine to use M12 dog tooth connectors with M10 coach bolts? I assume once the teeth bite into the timber then they'll work even though there might be a difference in the bolt and the connector.

M10 dog tooth connectors are hard to find online and more expensive but I've loads of M10 coach bolts here so if I can get away with the M12 connectors then all the better.

Here are the connectors:
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/sabrefix-m12-timber-connector-galvanised-dx275-50mm-x-50mm-50-pack/99094?activeTab=qaTT

The job I'm at atm is doubling up on timbers for a loft hatch opening.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have some of those connectors from Teco and the hole is 14mm. I very much doubt they are intended to be used with M14 bolts, so it can't be a requirement that the bolt bears directly on the inside of the hole.

So I reckon you'll be fine.

Won't the coach heads foul the opening?

Why not nails?

edit: maybe the idea is that with a 14mm hole the M12 bolt has 1mm clearance for a small amount of movement tolerance. I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

They won't foul the opening as the existing collars are 400cc with the a 600mm ope. So only one side will have the coach heads which I'll be packing out anyway to fit the stair itself.

Interesting they're 14mm. I suppose once they've bit into each timber. There's not much that'll move them.

Update:
    I've emailed an engineer friend:
    Q: Can I use M12 dog tooth timber connectors with M10 coach bolts? M10 connectors are difficult to source.

Response: You can. I’m assuming the dog tooth goes between the existing collar vertical face and the new collar and the M10 pulls them together with a suitable flat steel penny washer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Have they teeth in them? Google search is showing them as a flat washer.

I've emailed an engineer friend:
    Q: Can I use M12 dog tooth timber connectors with M10 coach bolts? M10 connectors are difficult to source.

Response: You can. I’m assuming the dog tooth goes between the existing collar vertical face and the new collar and the M10 pulls them together with a suitable flat steel penny washer

I completely mis read the post so deleted my post, you can edit your and I will delete this!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement