Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size bike to buy for my 6 year old

Options
  • 22-10-2020 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭

As per title my daughter has outgrown her 16" bike, she learned to cycle without stabilisers on it over the first lock down but its now comically too small for her and not comfortable. Even though she isnt 6.5 yet she is already 4ft 7", on that basis i had been thinking of a 24" but im worried that given she isnt long off stabilisers having a bike that big might be a step too far, but a 20" might not suit for very long either :confused:

on the plus side she has a little sister so they will be passed on in any event.

anyone got an opinion on what the best course of action would be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I bought my nearly 7 year old a 24" Specialized Hotrock this week. The standover height is lower than a lot of other 24s. She'll be able to stop at least without hurting herself but should get a good bit longer out of it than a 20"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Quick thought - one thing I didn't take into consideration before getting a bike for my 6 year old was the pull required on the brake levers. Their hands were too small to pull the levers safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

She's tall alright, here is a guide based on Vitus bikes for kids. At her height 20" is ruled out. 24" won't last long either if she keeps growing at that rate :). I'd go 24" but see it mainly as a bike for the younger one. I wouldn't be worried about getting the hang of it, few spins in and she'll be grand, good luck

331-Design-676-Kids-Bike-Size2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah looking at that it has to be 24"

she is very tall for her age, i always was aswell and slowed down as i hit my teens so hopefully she will be the same, her mum is 5 11 though so she will be a tall lady!

Advertisement