Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro D'Italia Stage 18: Pinzolo to Laghi di Cancano (207km)

Options
  • 22-10-2020 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

It's the big one!

I was due to be in Bormio for this stage in May but instead I'm sitting here posting on Boards :pac:

I've spent so much time in the area over the years due to in-laws living there, this is the one that really really excites me. I've driven over Stelvio many times but only had the opportunity to cycle it once, to say it's a beast would be quite the understatement. The descent to Bormio is simply amazing, my favourite cycling memory.

With Saturday's stage being shortened and the Agnello and Izoard being taken out of play, today may be the last chance to make big inroads in the GC, I can't wait!

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-18-map-28e9984e62.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-18-profile-8c4c96ef56.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-18-finish-620852f614.png

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-18-climb-e334ea92a6.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-18-climb-n5-49d721a8f5.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-18-climb-n3-1d643a30a7.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-18-climb-n4-bfb1407cb0.jpg

Comments

What was the chat going on there between DQS lads and Nibali?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ben O'Connor in the break again today. Busy lad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Ben O'Connor in the break again today. Busy lad :pac:

3rd day in a row isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's the big one!

I was due to be in Bormio for this stage in May but instead I'm sitting here posting on Boards :pac:

Aw crap that is so unfortunate. I was in Bormio for a few days at the end of July last year. I absolutely loved it. We stayed in Eden Hotel. I'd go back there in a heartbeat. We did the Torri di Fraele climb that the riders will do today, along with the Stelvio (the side that they are descending), Bormio 2000 and the Gavia (not all on the same day obviously! :pac:).

Here's a photo from top of the Torri di Fraele climb

530153.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Aw crap that is so unfortunate. I was in Bormio for a few days at the end of July last year. I absolutely loved it. We stayed in Eden Hotel. I'd go back there in a heartbeat. We did the Torri di Fraele climb that the riders will do today, along with the Stelvio (the side that they are descending), Bormio 2000 and the Gavia (not all on the same day obviously! :pac:).

Here's a photo from top of the Torri di Fraele climb

That photo looks amazing :)

I really want to get a week or 2 over there where I can do a proper bit of cycling, the family side of things and us having kids in the last few years has limited our options when we visit!

It's a great spot to visit year round, many of my visits have been during ski season :D

• Advertisement

Top of Stelvio looks well clear and 10 degrees is bloody warm up there. It was 4 degrees at the top when I climbed in August a few years ago.

stelviolive_04.jpg

Hitting the lower slopes of the Stelvio now.

Am I right in thinking this is the harder side they are heading up? Looking at the top there is looks torturous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Just turned it on there...peloton down to about 25 already??

Long way to go yet...

And those 25 are pretty lined out as well.

Pozzovivo about to go. He'll lose 10+ minutes id he drops now.

• Advertisement

BOOM goes the pink.

Am I right in thinking this is the harder side they are heading up? Looking at the top there is looks torturous.

Yes there are a few stretches on the Bormio side which offer respite of 4-5%, Prato side is relentless.

Almeida looking like he might be in trouble here.

Why is masnada not back helping him out???

retalivity wrote: »
    Why is masnada not back helping him out???

On the way back now

There's an awful long way to climb to have been dropped already.

And there goes Nibbles and Fuglsang! Is this the arrival of Geoghegan-Hart as a force to be reckoned with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Hatch makes Trump seem like a model of vocal constraint and volume control. He's appalling.

Wow, just wow.

Kelderman!! This is great tbh, descent could be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Lot of riding left today. Geoghegan Hart and Hindley look so much stronger than Kelderman

That shot of the climb that's left to go on Stelvio :pac::pac::pac:

What that must do to the dropped riders...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Climb 2000 meters and you face that white wall at the top to tell you you're not there yet. It's not human

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Kelderman defo in big trouble, you have to think he'll ship bucket loads more time before the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Still another climb to come. Not sure I agree with Smiths tactics there - would it not be better to keep Dennis for the downhill and as much as he can up the final climb?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Hindley looks so good !

Unless TGH thinks he can attack on the descent? Pity they don't have a clock showing distance to the top of the climb.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Hindley looks so good !

Free ride for him!

So far Kelderman is holding the gap pretty well.

Unless TGH thinks he can attack on the descent? Pity they don't have a clock showing distance to the top of the climb.

Top is at 37.6km to go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

3/4 Aussies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Scratching my head about Rohan Dennis from what I'm reading. Has he ever shown this sort of form on such a hard climb?

Advertisement