Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Marathon 2021

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

Exactly the same for me, chip time was 3 secs faster than what I recorded on the watch. Great to see the event back, some amount of support around the route!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭saffron22

Brilliant Race. Pulled my hamstring and calf at 19 miles and fell off the pace through walking and limping. Got over for a 3:39 instead of the 3:20 i was hoping for but had a great day none the less. Way more water stations than the Dublin marathon. Support was fantastic bar one lady who shouted out (" oh are you too tired to hold your water" at a guy beside me who dropped his water carton at about mile 20)

No idea what the CBD oil was about in the race bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Exactly 3 seconds slower on my watch than chip time too. That must have been the mats. I stopped my watch at the 2nd mat.

Excellent post here on the distance of the route. I’d read it a few years ago too after running 13.29 miles in the 2019 half. Was very conscious of it on Sunday on the link and Curragh road especially and managed 13.14 this year.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/corkathletics/permalink/10161592193390830/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

It makes a huge difference. At the tunnel in particular most people ran on the wrong side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I tried to be conscious of it too, but ended up with 21.25km. For the half it's hard to avoid going off the racing line if you're catching slower marathon and relay runners. I think that the extra distance is still a better option than slowing to stay on the line or risking cutting across someone and getting tripped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Thanks for that. Very interesting. Did a quick bit of math there and if I'd run the SPR I could have shaved 90 - 120 secs off my time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Itziger

The age old Race Line Vs GPS debate. It is highly unlikely that even running the entire race on the line you'd get 21.0975 (Ok, 21.1) or 42.2. The vast majority of watch readings are out by about 1%, give or take.

I think my very best measurement was 42.5kms.

And for us amateurs, I don't think it's going to make that much difference unless you're aiming for 2hrs.59mins or whatever.

All that said, I'd be conscious of keeping as close as reasonable to the line unless it was very hot and there was shade on the other side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Right, but if you run the whole race off the line, you'll definitely have run long, no matter what your watch says!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Regarding race line vs GPS - in my case it was definitely a case of wonky GPS or rather wonky watch as a close up look of the GPS trace shows it wobbling all over the shop which is particularly noticeable on straight sections like the Carrigrohane road and Mardyke Walk. This also makes average pace on the watch unreliable so the min/mile readings are also, most likely, inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

As in any race, the only reliable way to pace is via elapsed time and mile/road markers (assuming they're placed correctly).

That’s the thing. I read back over my race report from 2019 and I mentioned in it about trying to follow the race line and I know I stuck to inside of bends yet ran 13:29 miles according to my watch. I was probably more careful again this year but I can’t imagine the difference was huge even though it said I ran 13:14. I honestly think gps was more what was going on with my watch rather than running a better line.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Really enjoyed the race despite having to drive down Friday to collect bag and then back down Sunday and the parking anxiety! Got into Cork early found a spot around the Blackrock road and had a snooze. The persistent rain at about 9 am was a worry and for a fleeting moment, i considered heading home. Anyway started with the 1:45 pacers but found it slow so pushed on after 3 miles, the course was grand and a s someone else said the hills were very manageable. local support was great considering the weather and the constant rain/drizzle actually felt like a blessing further into the race. As with others my watch, the official result, and my Strava time were all different!! I seemed to hit the mile mark on my watch a good bit before the course mile markers. At mile 10 my watch said 1:18:11 but Strava afterward had 1:17:23 for the 10! My watch had me running 13.21 with a time of 1:42:02 whereas the official race time was given as 1:42:48. Not a big deal at all and im guessing the GPS has a degree of inaccuracy involved. At the end of the day, it was a very enjoyable event and i will definately be back next year.

I'd say that's time in your gross time rather than your net. If you click on your name in the results then you should get the net time. It likely would have taken you 30-40 seconds to hit the timing mat on the start line.

Either that or you need a new watch! 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I see the results now include 'net time' alongside the 'official' time. I assume the net time is our actual time, yes? Because it's much more consistent with what my watch said. Also the commerical photos that we were emailed after finishing the race has an option to include your time in the photos, and it's the net time that they use.

Net time is actual time from when you hit the timing mat in the start to hitting the timing mat at the finish line.

Gross time is from when the race starts to the mat at the finish line but if there are a few hundred people in front of you that could take you a minute to even get to the start line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

Heard that there may be an issue with prize money not being paid yet to those running in the full and half marathons. Anyone aware of a problem?

I assume that, since the races were organised by an agency on behalf of Cork City Council, if there are any financial difficulties at intermediary level they shouldn't ultimately impact the athletes. Just wondering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement